The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] This Offseason

This offseason, (assuming we DONT win this year)

- salo probably wont retire, but would sign at maybe $1m

- trade Raymond/2nd together because raymond himself is garbage...maybe trade to MTL for Pacioretty?

- trade Ballard for possibly any picks

- probably not resign Manny

That would free up 7-8million.

Then sign Weber to a long term deal about $6m per.

Sedins - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Pacioretty - Schroeder - Hansen

Kassian - Pahlsson - Lappy

Edler - Weber

Hammer - Juice

Grangnani - Salo

Tanev

Lu

Lack

That's pretty awesome.

I think we should use Cory just like we have been this season.. Give him maybe a game in each round? Like if we win the first 2 home games with Lu playing lights out, play Cory in the first away game anyways. It could save us from potential meltdowns and keep Lu fresh for the long run... It's not like it's a risky move as we're very confident with schniederman in net. Also he's a major reason we've been so successful the past 2 years and the biggest reason luongo is well rested and prepared for the run. so in my mind the kid deserves to be a part of this cup run.

Imagin his value if he is used that way.. He'd be the most properly developed goalie of all time if we won the cup. 2 seasons behind the best in the world playing a decent amount of games. Winning bigger games against the best in the league in his second season. Then a second playoff run getting to start a game in each round... Talk about preparing a kid to be an allstar.

On the other hand if it works and we win the cup maybe he can be convinced to resign for a couple seasons with him getting more games each year and we could have a dynasty on our hands... 8mill in goaltenders is kinda crazy, I know but if we're still dominating the league who cares?

The last bit would probably never happen but if he's played fairly through the playoffs and it results in a cup, the kid might just consider it

Experience. Leadership.

How many other future #1's (Bernier, Harding, Markstrom, etc etc) can say they got to go deep in the playoffs and win the Cup? Plus if Luongo is lights out for 4 rounds and Schneider is his back up... Don't you think that would add something to Schneider's value? Backing up the best goaltender in the league?

Going deep in playoffs (as Schneider has already done once) brings alot of intangibles alot of teams would love their goalies to have.

I think we should use Cory just like we have been this season.. Give him maybe a game in each round? Like if we win the first 2 home games with Lu playing lights out, play Cory in the first away game anyways. It could save us from potential meltdowns and keep Lu fresh for the long run... It's not like it's a risky move as we're very confident with schniederman in net. Also he's a major reason we've been so successful the past 2 years and the biggest reason luongo is well rested and prepared for the run. so in my mind the kid deserves to be a part of this cup run.

Imagin his value if he is used that way.. He'd be the most properly developed goalie of all time if we won the cup. 2 seasons behind the best in the world playing a decent amount of games. Winning bigger games against the best in the league in his second season. Then a second playoff run getting to start a game in each round... Talk about preparing a kid to be an allstar.

On the other hand if it works and we win the cup maybe he can be convinced to resign for a couple seasons with him getting more games each year and we could have a dynasty on our hands... 8mill in goaltenders is kinda crazy, I know but if we're still dominating the league who cares?

The last bit would probably never happen but if he's played fairly through the playoffs and it results in a cup, the kid might just consider it

This offseason, (assuming we DONT win this year)

- salo probably wont retire, but would sign at maybe $1m

- trade Raymond/2nd together because raymond himself is garbage...maybe trade to MTL for Pacioretty?

- trade Ballard for possibly any picks

- probably not resign Manny

That would free up 7-8million.

Then sign Weber to a long term deal about $6m per.

Sedins - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Pacioretty - Schroeder - Hansen

Kassian - Pahlsson - Lappy

Edler - Weber

Hammer - Juice

Grangnani - Salo

Tanev

Lu

Lack

That's pretty awesome.

I hadn't really been thinking about this too much but recently I read a blog by Ian Esplen seen here:

http://www.hockeybuz...p?post_id=42494

Essentially, for those of you who don't care to follow the link and read it, he goes on to explain that both Columbus and Tampa have acquired a second first round pick heading into this years draft. These two teams are both in desperate need of a goaltender and in the case of the Blue Jackets, they likely even had a shot at one in Bernier when making the deal with the Kings. This suggests that they are truly fixed on someone else to fix their problem. Perhaps it's our Cory Schneider?

Undoubtedly there is going to be a market for Schneider and the price is not going to be cheap. What I want to know is this:

1) Would you be satisfied (or even excited) if CS was traded for a pair of first rounders (at least one of which being a top ten)?

and

2) What exactly would you like to see as far as a return from him if not picks?

I don't know much about goaltending but isn't "getting into a groove or rhythm" really important for goalies? How would Luongo handle this? I recognize the shared time Luongo/Schneider has in the regular season, but the Stanley Cup Playoffs are a different beast. If I recall correctly, Schneider only played in last year's playoffs when Luongo faltered.

I get what your saying but they've shared the ice all season and were seeing the best Lu since 2007.. I think Lu's heads a little more in check this year. He seems alot more humble than years past..

were not in the position of some Teams in the past that are riding the hot hand. We have 2 lights out goalies that could each start the run if needed to..

I really don't the rythem is the issue as theyve been preparing to play this way all season and each time its worked out.. Last year we played this way and gave Lu the full driver seat and we witnessed 2 meltdowns.. I say we shake it up this year and give the kid some games. It's not a risk to the team and Cory has Definately earned it

MG would probably want 2 first round picks , top d-man or solid forward so if tampa wanted shneids they would have to give up:

To Vancouver: 1st round pick, Connolly, Hedman or detroit 1st rounder 2 first rounders and a player is a pretty good deal we could ask for more if we wanted.

They would be okay with giving a first rounder or 2 im guessing but two of they're top future players unlikely but Mike would have to be forceful and tell them to decide between hedman or connolly going with the 2 picks.

In any case, the Varlamov deal would have to be the starting point.

1) yes I would be happy with 2 first round picks if 1 of them was a top 10, and this would be the ideal situation if the nucks win the cup. 4-5 years down the line we will need to have a change in some of our core, and if we are truly trying to go the Detroit route, getting them now so we have timeto properly develop them.

2) can not think of a name on the top of my head, but ideally a young top 4 defenseman who shoots right who can be deployed on our PP

I believe the cup would have been Vancouvers last year if Schnider had of started game 6. What would be the harm, Louie could not win in Boston for what ever reason, game 7 I understand but game 6 let Schinder try, if he wins you the game then you look like a genious, if he looses the you play game 7 with a rested allstar goalie.

So, this year, if we get up in a series I'd give Schnider a game, like game 5 if we're up 3-1 or game 6 if we're up 3-2. It would be no risk all reward.

In all reality the team makes more money for every game played in the post season, I know you don't loose intentionally in the playoffs but teaching someone is a different story.

So I'm hoping Schneider returns a right-side defenseman. I'm not sure who out there could replace Salo. But I didn't know about Kassian either.

EDIT: of course, there's Weber. If Gillis expects Weber to be a Canuck by July 2013, then he should do his best to convince Salo to re-sign for one more year. If so, a young forward would be appreciated.

Personally, i'd offer Schneids one more year. Take it, or leave it. But i don't see that happening, so we might as well get the most bang for our buck. I wouldn't be making any major changes because the reality is, Burrows and Edler are gonna need raises. Personally, i don't wanna lose them. We don't NEED other draft picks from other teams, we've still got Jensen and Schroeder who know doubt could be solid for us. If we spend to the cap, make sure we're getting them only for a year. We're not gonna get rid of Ballard, so get used to seeing him. He's not that bad and seems to be coming into decent form (aside from the injury).

In all honesty, the only way we're gonna get rid of Ballard is through a buy out. Is it worth it? We're not gonna get Weber this summer, but it could be possible next summer.

So with all that said and done, we look like this.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.550m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

/ Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS: Keith Ballard ($1.400m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,503,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (17-man roster): $11,796,667

Almost 12 Million to spend on 3 players, no need to spend it all. We're gonna need that money in the next off-season. I'm not sure where to start, but i wouldn't spend just for the sake of spending. Like everybody else, I really do think Weber is the guy we need to move forward.

For the sake of filling in roster spots, this is what i'd do.

- Sign Brandon Prust at a cap hit of 1.6.

- Trade Cory Schneider to New Jersey in exchange for Adam Henrique and a 2nd. (doubt Jersey would do it, oh well)

- Resign Salo for 1 million.

And we look like this;

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Brandon Prust ($1.400m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.550m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Sami Salo ($1.500m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS: Keith Ballard ($1.400m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,482,499; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $7,080,001

CONSIDERING HODGESON IS GONE, AND EVERYONE IS MAKING A BIG STINK. WE HAVE SCHNIEDER IN THE BANK TO TRADE FOR A POTENITAL YOUNG UP AND COMING STAR. NOT SURE IF OPPOSING TEAMS WOULD DO THIS BUT GUYS LIKE GUDBRANSON, ELLERBY, BRETT CONNELLY, GNORMLEY

OR TRY TO PACKAGE SCHNIEDER + RAYMONDS RIGHTS (IF WORTH ANYTHING)

Wow, people still think we will get rid of Ballard. The only way he gets traded is if Gillis has a ace in his back pocket to play. Like Suter, Weber or any other clear cut #1-#2 guy out there. Unless that happens Ballard is staying put; period.....

Now as for Manny. He is signed until the end of next season. Plus he has a Limited NTC. So I think he will most likely stay put and help whoever our next center protege is.

As for Raymond; if a team offers him over I think 1.4m - 1.7m (compensation numbers are being guessed withabout an 8.5% increase over last year)we would be getting a second rounder in return because he is a RFA. Saying that if someone offers him under 2m Gillis will probably match the offer. Com'on Raymond for under 2m is decent although I would love the pick. If the offersheet is for more than 2m he is gone and on top of that if some team was to offer him something like 3.5m we would get a 1st and a 3rd; but I doubt that's going to happen.

Now to Schneider. I would love to see GMMG be able to keep this guy around; but I don't see it in the cards. We are better off trading him before july 1st; because I could see a team come in and offer just enough over so they only give up a 1st and a 3rd. you would have to look at the last goalie in Halak who was going to be RFA and showed great promise. He got 3.75m. Which is not enough to get more than what I mentioned above. So we have to look at teams who are going to actively be looking for a goalie in the offseason.

Possible trading partners

Edmonton

Toronto

Columbus

New York Islanders

Tampa Bay

New Jersey

There could be other teams after the 1st round of the playoffs are over who you may add to this list that feel they need an upgrade; but they would probably not have the spare picks and assets to make a deal. So with these teams in mind who could make us the best offer?

Edmonton: 1- 1st / 1- 2nd / 1- 3rd

Sam Ganger

Jordan Eberle

Toronto: 1- 1st / 1- 2nd

Cody Franson

Jake Gardiner

Nazim Kadri

Joe Colbourne

Carter Ashton

Columbus: 2- 1st / 2- 2nd / 1- 3rd

Ryan Johansen

NYI: 1- 1st / 1-2nd / 1-3rd

No RFA's or prospect worth looking at

Tampa: 2-1st / 4-2nd / 1-3rd

Brett Connolly

Ted Purcell

NJ: 1-1st / 1-2nd / 1-3rd

Adam Henrique

Adam Larsson

If I where to look for prospects along with a 1st it would have to be Toronto because of the defencman we could get. Although if Edmonton was to offer Eberle and a 1st and second for Schneider and a 1st I would do this instead.

But if it was me I would take Columbus's two 1st if L.A. is unable to make the playoffs (wow that would be two lottery picks). If L.A. makes the playoffs I would take Tampas loterry pick and there first three picks in round #2.

I know there are some other great secnerios here; but these are my favorites.

rumour had it Gillis was asking for hedman from tampa for Schneids..

Gillis wants an nhl ready player to step in.

options:

1) Tampa- Brett Connolly & 1st round pick

2) New Jersey- Adam Larsen

3) Columbus- Ryan Johansen & 1st or 2nd round pick

Yes some of you may think these trades are way too much and unrealistic but Schneider is ready for prime time.

He is heralded and praised by all the hockey minds as the best backup in the nhl and yes better than rask

He has also been seasoned for a couple of years in the nhl now while guys like Larsen, Johansen & connolly have only played one season. Theres a reason why Tampa is loading up on these picks and why Columbus didnt want bernier. Everybody wants Schneids and scouts from teams know he's the real deal now!

Personally i'd go for Ryan Johansen & a pick. BC BOY- This guy is going to be the next getzlaf and is a true playmaker with size that can learn the game on the 3rd line like Jordan staal did. It'd suck to face schneids in the west but we get a future star ourselves.

Archived