The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keith Hit Thread

gramowar

If the NHL was legit Keith would have gotten 5 and game misconduct. And then he would get suspended for 6-8 games for intent to injure. Shanahan would make a DVD of that hit and send it to all the teams. See how the puck is nowhere close to the player? See how this was pre-meditated? See how he hit him with nothing but elbow? See how he lunged at him? That's what we don't want. This is what happens when you do this.

But this is Bettman's NHL. That's not how it works here. Keith gets to stay in the game. Hawks get to go on the powerplay all night. The paid actors get to skate around pretending to be referees. And Bettman interrupts his conference call with Jeremy Jacob, planning out how the playoffs should be refereed, to call Shanahan into his office to tell him exactly what to do.

Henrik on the post game just said that Keith said that he was going to go after Daniel beforehand, Henrik was sarcastic about him ( Keith ) being a 'tough' Canadian guy and they ( Canucks ) are just divers ... sounded pretty angry

Thats really bloody smart..... keith is one of the best skating defensemen in the league... who was going to take him out with a hit mason raymond? ???

also is risking a long term suspension by bertuzzing someone really worth it......

has that whole incident taught you nothing?

seriously i fear for the future of society.

Missed the game but saw the replay, and wow. Should be 5 games for sure. Keith clearly had no intention to play the puck, or even the body. He was clearly going straight for the head. There's no way he's gonna be able to explain that one to Shanny.

Daniel's hit on Keith is no excuse, and not suspension worthy. It was a full body hit where

the head was contacted, not a hit where the head was the principal point of contact.

Usually headshots happen as a result of an over aggressive or stupid, but not necessarily intentional play. The hit Keith hit on the other hand was in my mind a clear intent to injure. There's no way you can defend him on this one, especially is Hank's words are true (and the Sedins aren't the type to just make stuff like that up).

Thats really bloody smart..... keith is one of the best skating defensemen in the league... who was going to take him out with a hit mason raymond? ???

also is risking a long term suspension by bertuzzing someone really worth it......

I've recently been researching concussions (also called mTBIs, or mild Traumatic Brain Injuries) and from what I've seen, that elbow is almost guaranteed to give Daniel a concussion.

From the clip, it appeared he was hit squarely in the chin, and spun around from the force of the blow.

Based on the fact that a rotational force to the head, especially to the jaw area, is a leading cause of mTBIs (helmets offer no protection against rotational trauma), I would expect Daniel to be out 2-4 games at minimum.

On the bright side, he was able to skate to the bench, so there's no immediate evidence that it's especially severe.

It definately seems there was some premeditation. I'm hoping for 5+ games for Keith but most of all, that Daniel is ok. That was a pretty brutal flying elbow. Really love that Keith was allowed to finish the game though, really awesome. /sarcasm

This is what the NHL asked for, I hope they're happy.

The refs have been easing down on the whistle for awhile now without any denial by head office. Its degenerating to the standard of last years Final. I don't know if its because they want to adapt the players, and viewers alike to get used to this in advance of the playoffs or what. I guess this is the new New NHL.

U pretty much answered your own question... It is YES an overwhelming yes.

If you've ever played competitive hockey before, teams in your division cannot have the mind set that come playoffs they can run around head-hunting your star players with no repercussions.

That is not what we want, I would take a suspension by a 4th line player if they bertuzzi'd him when the play was over in front of the net, its about sending a message that we won't tolerate that bull!

The message was not sent and any other team would've been very VERY quick to react i guaratee it, if not that shift, the next one when Keith is out there

U pretty much answered your own question... It is YES an overwhelming yes.

If you've ever played competitive hockey before, teams in your division cannot have the mind set that come playoffs they can run around head-hunting your star players with no repercussions.

That is not what we want, I would take a suspension by a 4th line player if they bertuzzi'd him when the play was over in front of the net, its about sending a message that we won't tolerate that bull!

The message was not sent and any other team would've been very VERY quick to react i guaratee it, if not that shift, the next one when Keith is out there

I think there was quite a message sent, fact of the matter is keith avoided everything after he got back from his misconduct . Sure they could have taken a run at keith but knowing the leagues hatred for the canucks your naive if you dont think the league would have thrown the book at us even worse.

Archived