The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boudreau On Ref: “I Was Ready To Hit Him”

If Cogliano was on the edge of the crease and not half way in it the goal would have counted.

The goalie has the right to the crease, you can't stand in the crease and not allow the goalie to move freely.

It was mega close and I can understand how the Ducks could be upset but it appears the right call was made in this case.

That's not correct, the ref was saying it was a good goal as in the puck went into the net, also with his view he might not have seen Cogliano in the crease. The other ref and linesman got together to discuss the call and based on rule 69 they reversed the goal which was the right call.

No, there doesn't have to be contact.

Which goals have you seen recently where this doesn't get enforced?

You didn't watch the game? Turco made many great saves in that game, including a wicked glove save thru a massive screen.

Turco wasn't able to move to the edge of the crease, which could have changed his angle and possibly stopped the puck.

It wasn't reviewed, the call was reversed based on the other ref determing Cogliano was in Turco's way.

Why do you guys think Holstrom, Kesler etc who stand in front of the net constantly check to see if their skates are in the crease or not?

This is exactly why.

It's pretty simple, you can't stand in the crease and block the goalie.

tough call given the current rules. i can see it go either way.

any one know if interference inside the crease has to be physical interference for a goal to be disallowed?

i think you shouldn't be able to screen someone inside the crease. if you're all up in the goalie's face inside the crease, you're preventing him from having a reasonable chance of saving the puck. taking the language of the rule, "the attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impair[ed] the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal."

putting aside this ruling, i think goals should not be able to stand when an opposing player is in the crease. it works just fine in college hockey. if you're in the crease, it's a face off outside of the zone like an offsides, and if you score it's no goal. unless the puck is already in the crease when you enter.

i mean, what's the crease for if you can just chill there?

Well it is a call in Boston's favor.. what do you expect.. But i do see why they would call the goal back, in a very minimal way, Turco's chance to make a save was slightly embedded by Cogliano.

On a side note:

Im not into conspiracies but the NHL has done some fishy calls in the past. Maybe to help give some teams a couple extra points.

Without the 2 points Chicago received in this game, they would not have made the playoffs. (Kicking Motion and Inconclusive)

tough call given the current rules. i can see it go either way.

any one know if interference inside the crease has to be physical interference for a goal to be disallowed?

i think you shouldn't be able to screen someone inside the crease. if you're all up in the goalie's face inside the crease, you're preventing him from having a reasonable chance of saving the puck. taking the language of the rule, "the attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impair[ed] the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal."

putting aside this ruling, i think goals should not be able to stand when an opposing player is in the crease. it works just fine in college hockey. if you're in the crease, it's a face off outside of the zone like an offsides, and if you score it's no goal. unless the puck is already in the crease when you enter.

i mean, what's the crease for if you can just chill there?

I don't like the call but I certainly understand why the ref would make it. In the split second he has to initially see it that sure would look like interference. I just wish they would make the rules more concrete. If the rule explicitly stated that a player cannot stand in the crease then no one would be debating this at all.

Well it is a call in Boston's favor.. what do you expect.. But i do see why they would call the goal back, in a very minimal way, Turco's chance to make a save was slightly embedded by Cogliano.

On a side note:

Im not into conspiracies but the NHL has done some fishy calls in the past. Maybe to help give some teams a couple extra points.

Without the 2 points Chicago received in this game, they would not have made the playoffs. (Kicking Motion and Inconclusive)

I think that's a crappy call and don't blame Bruce for being pissed. The ref 10 feet away said it was a good goal. He saw that Turco wasn't touched or impeded from making the save in any way. Sometimes that outside ref just needs to shut the hell up.

I don't like the call but I certainly understand why the ref would make it. In the split second he has to initially see it that sure would look like interference. I just wish they would make the rules more concrete. If the rule explicitly stated that a player cannot stand in the crease then no one would be debating this at all.

I remember that. It wasn't conclusive whether it crossed the line but it also wasn't conclusive that it didn't so I don't think they could over rule the call of good goal on that account. That said it was about as close to a distinct kicking motion as you can get (short of that Spezza one a couple weeks ago) and should have been able to be called off for that. They've overruled calls on the ice for far less obvious kicks. I don't believe there's a conspiracy but the war room is wildly inconsistent with its decisions and at times bewildering.

Boudreau is one openly emotional coach, for better or worse. Look at this situation and his "Motivational Speech" on Youtube where he cusses every five seconds.

ON TOPIC: Bad call- Turco had room to move. Cogliano restricted one direction, but Turco nonetheless could have stopped the puck in other ways. Therefore, goal should have been allowed.

On a side note:

Archived