Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

One More Shutout For Roberto Luongo...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#61 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Yes he is playing rock steady right now and nice for him to get the shutout.
The one thing that he does not have that the other goalies do have is a Stanley Cup win. Maybe this is the year that he can have as good a playoffs as he has a regular season. At least we have an experienced Cory Schneider is he falters. I think that this year, AV will use both of his goalies without fear because he has the luxury of having two goalies at the top of their game.

#62 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

He could have a 0.25 GAA this SCF, and still there'd be people whinging on about trading him July 1 because Cory would've never let in THAT goal.

EDIT: for those who figure there's no Canuck love at NHL.com.
3rd star: Karlsson
2nd star: Bertie
1st star: some 'has-been' with a 38 save shutout.

What a ridiculous statement engineered to get you some +'s. When he plays good he gets praise, when he plays bad he gets criticised just the same as any other player on the team. Only an idiot would do otherwise.....unless he is fond of using the tired line 'haters always gonna hate' just so they get the rah rah's from the 'good ol boys'.
All that has been pointed out is that he does not have a Cup win, his play has been questionable in the playoffs and that his regular season(with the exception of the start of the season) has been great. Maybe this is his year to put it all together in the playoffs but right now we do not know which Luo will show up because he has demonstrated that he cracks under the pressure during key games and then stands on his head during the next outing. A little more consistancy in the playoffs would make many of us sleep easier.....probably you too.

#63 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,000 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

I love Lu. Just read my sig lol

#64 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

It kind of seems like Luongo has turned a corner in his career here in Vancouver. When he first came here he was lights out and was fully praised as the savior of the franchise. Then came the whole captaincy era where a tremendous amount of pressure was put on him and it really seemed like parts of his game changed (some of which I believe was due to his groin) and alot of fans were unhappy with his performances.

Now...Roberto seems as confident as he has ever been and looks fantastic down the stretch, exactly what we need going into another protracted playoff run. Has the pressure become less? I don't really think so, personally I just think his shoulders are starting to get stronger to support that heavy load from Canucks fandom.

#65 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,463 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

A nice positive thread.
Posted Image

#66 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

ONE of the best.....WHEN he's on his game. Just thought I'd clarify that for ya.

Same can be said about most elite players.... Remember they are in fact human.... OV says hi!

This team has been saving there best for when it counts. Keath, don't like what you did but thank you for waking up the team.
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#67 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

We all know he can be a great goalie and I wouldn't be surprised that he will be top 10 or top 5 in most of those categories

Unfortunately, bolded part isn't true.
Posted Image

#68 endtoend

endtoend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Vintage Canucks
KeslerOwnsIginla
Zero-ONE-Three
NuxFan09
BunBun
Schneids31
DibDaQuib

Just a few CDCers who like to jump all over Luongo when he is down.

#69 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,037 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

I don't think ppl realize how lucky we are to have Luongo. People seem to forget all the goalies we went thru after Captain Kirk.

To Desiboy -

You only don't know what direction this team is going because you simply don't want to understand it or hear it.

#70 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

If he wins a cup, he has a shot at the HHOF. He's definitely gonna be near the top in a lot of goalie records.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#71 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,037 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

Vintage Canucks
KeslerOwnsIginla
Zero-ONE-Three
NuxFan09
BunBun
Schneids31
DibDaQuib

Don't forget those names.

To Desiboy -

You only don't know what direction this team is going because you simply don't want to understand it or hear it.

#72 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,037 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

What a ridiculous statement engineered to get you some +'s. When he plays good he gets praise, when he plays bad he gets criticised just the same as any other player on the team. Only an idiot would do otherwise.....unless he is fond of using the tired line 'haters always gonna hate' just so they get the rah rah's from the 'good ol boys'.
All that has been pointed out is that he does not have a Cup win, his play has been questionable in the playoffs and that his regular season(with the exception of the start of the season) has been great. Maybe this is his year to put it all together in the playoffs but right now we do not know which Luo will show up because he has demonstrated that he cracks under the pressure during key games and then stands on his head during the next outing. A little more consistancy in the playoffs would make many of us sleep easier.....probably you too.

I'm not too sure about this but, how much playoff experience does he actually have?

To Desiboy -

#73 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Unfortunately, bolded part isn't true.

Everyone knows, they choose to play games in their heads to make them think different. It's easy to point the finger when the team plays like crap. It's internal justification to direct anger.
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#74 MistaT

MistaT

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

:towel: :towel:

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Canucks, baby!

#75 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

great to know
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#76 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Lou is an interesting study. When hes on his game he can be great , but when hes off...hes way off. I read Derek jory's article and Lous comments on the end of game flurry in front of his net.
Lou said..he was trying to seal off the bottom of the net, which is rule #1...I'm wondering if Melanson had a say in that because he had gotten away from that in his bad games.Its great to have goalie coaches and the tapes to play back and refer to. Congrats Lou.

#77 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

I find it hilarious that it's the same people who bash him all the time. Anyone who disagrees with them is bias even with stats to back up the arguments. And then when he gets a shutout it's the team, when the team loses it's his fault.

Same thing over and over from the same group of people.

#78 rogerfont33

rogerfont33

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

I find it hilarious that it's the same people who bash him all the time. Anyone who disagrees with them is bias even with stats to back up the arguments. And then when he gets a shutout it's the team, when the team loses it's his fault.

Same thing over and over from the same group of people.

Or when Lui implodes, it's the team in front of him, NOT Lui. And when he gets a shutout, Lui stole the game or stands on his head? Sound familiar, Lui Lovers?

#79 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

That a boy Luuuu.... keep it up!

#80 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#81 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Vintage Canucks
KeslerOwnsIginla
Zero-ONE-Three
NuxFan09
BunBun
Schneids31
DibDaQuib

and also.........
the situation
Understand
Perry harris
Apple
BigUncle1
ronningisback

get real canucks fan

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 27 March 2012 - 12:46 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#82 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Couldnt agree more....yes he got a shut out, but his team played awsome defensively in front of him...he really didnt have a difficult save all night .............that is if you don't count the routine saves he makes LOOK difficult....and how many times did he lose his stick last night. I agree...unless you are wearing rose coloured glasses he is an average goalie at best...the stats don't lie!!

I'm not Lu's biggest fan but that tipped shot by Kopitar was an unreal save. Probably the hardest save you'll have to make in the game right there. Amazing agility that can only be brought out through instinct.

Posted Image

#83 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Or when Lui implodes, it's the team in front of him, NOT Lui. And when he gets a shutout, Lui stole the game or stands on his head? Sound familiar, Lui Lovers?

Of course anyone that thinks he's a good goalie is automatically a Lu lover.

Thanks...forgot to add that one.

Amongst elites in stats for all-time and yet anyone who recognizes this is a lu lover. *sigh*

When did I ever say what you just quoted? If you can find a post where I said that show me and I'll give you a hundred bucks. Recognizing what a goalie did for the organization and has done in his career doesn't mean you don't recognize when he does bad. When he has a bad game I will say so as well. Doesn't discredit everything he has ever done. If you look at my post history I criticize him as well but this thread is about his career achievements and they are commendable.

Edited by DooBie604, 27 March 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#84 Tank Hankerous

Tank Hankerous

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

I like the fact you post here about the finals, when its obvious you didn't watch them last year...

The Canucks scored 8 goals in 7 games in the finals last year.

In 2 games, they scored 0 goals.

In 2 other games, they scored 1 goal.

They scored almost 40% of their total goals in game 2.

How many goals did the Canucks' top 6 have combined?

If you blame goaltending you didn't watch the series. They lost because they didn't score enough, and they didn't score enough because both of their top line centers were injured, and their 2nd line winger was out.

Posted Image

"THE GLOVE FROM ABOVE"

"Despite his reasonably successful season, Burrows is a career AHLer."

-Matt MacInnis, writer for hockeysfuture.com 06/12/2005

#85 Tank Hankerous

Tank Hankerous

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Well Luongo is 32 right now so he has a heck of a head start...

Where will Schneider set those records among the teams that need a goalie? Toronto? Edmonton? Columbus?

Posted Image

"THE GLOVE FROM ABOVE"

"Despite his reasonably successful season, Burrows is a career AHLer."

-Matt MacInnis, writer for hockeysfuture.com 06/12/2005

#86 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

⊂(◉‿◉)つ

• Members
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

1 Shutout tonight and everyone is jumping on Luongo's Bandwagon. Im gonna stay firm and not jump on until he wins us a Cup.

Next time when he lets in 4+ goals, which could be the next few games or in the playoffs, everyone gonna say "Trade Luongo. Let Cory play and bench Luongo. Luongo is over rated, he costs too much"

So you frown upon bandwagoners but have no problem jumping on at last minute?
Posted Image

#87 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I don;t disagree that Luongo has been the best Goalie the Canucks have had or that he will set a lot of team records, but, lets give the team a lot of credit. Luongo's stats would not be near as good were he still playing in florida ! Playing on an elite team has a lot of benefits !

#88 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,975 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Tank - you should post more on CDC!

307mg00.jpg

#89 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

I don;t disagree that Luongo has been the best Goalie the Canucks have had or that he will set a lot of team records, but, lets give the team a lot of credit. Luongo's stats would not be near as good were he still playing in florida ! Playing on an elite team has a lot of benefits !

Actually he's played as many years in Florida as he has in Vancouver so technically you could argue playing on a crappy team for that long really messed up his stats as well. Granted it was less games in Florida but not by much.

#90 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Every goalie benefits from the play of his team. And it's not just elite players, but the system that the team employs. In his first season here we had not much for elite talent outside of Lu. Naslund was a shell of his former self, the Sedins were just trying to make that transition into true top line players, and the likes of Kes and Burr were just good checkers. That season was all about playing off of Lu's strengths. Since his arrival we've missed the playoffs only once and never have we been kicked out in the first round.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.