Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Failure In Coaching

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#31 BleedBlueAndGreen

BleedBlueAndGreen

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

This is ridiculous.

Ya know what the PP needs more of?

1. Kesler in front, screening.
2. DANIEL SEDIN!

14o6bli.jpg
Credit to -VintageCanuck for the sig

#32 binderdonedat

binderdonedat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Fire Av and staff. Surprised Newell hasn't been replaced. Holy Crap Y'all!! The Sky Is Falling!!! Run For Your Lives!!!

There. Used my knucklehead decoder ring and fixed that ^^^ for ya.

Seriously though, how in blue hell can you (or the OP) ever be taken seriously again - in life - at all - after suggesting something so patently ridiculous? You do realize you're talking about the same coaching staff that has led the team to 2 President Cups and game frikin 7 of last years Stanley Cup yes?

I'm gonna give you both the benefit of the doubt and assume that maybe you clicked the wrong browser tab and figured this was the Calgary Flames board.

The need for a face palm emoticon has never been so well represented.

Edited by binderdonedat, 11 April 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#33 VancityBeast

VancityBeast

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Can't help wondering at which point we, the fans, will be mature enough to say "bad game, forget about it, let's win the next one". It is Game 1 and some of us are asking for the coach to be fired...

It is easy to think that fans should be a bunch of zombies and not offer feedback or ideas. Some of the fans, including people here, are hockey players and some are in fact ex professional hockey players :) Some fans know what is happening and they give their 2 cents. I mean, things the fans are bringing up are real issues which I am pretty sure you know that.

I will tell you right of the bat, I was worried about the Sedins about 7 games before Daniel got hit. But people kept saying, they will bounce back etc. In professional hockey or in any professional sport, it is very hard to bounce back. Look at Henriks goal scoring the last 30 games. Look at Kesler, Raymond and Rome. These are under performing players who are sucking the life out of our game. But a year ago, these guys were worshipped as idols. Imagine replacing all these players now with someone like Lappiere or Higgins, who may not be a diva like Kesler on ice but will work hard and create plays for others. Can you imagine how different our game would be?

Bieksa - He is a very good player. No doubt about that. But something is not right with his line.

Salo - He is progressively making more mistakes and nearly gave LA the lead a number of times today

Powerplay - With the rate we are going, we will not improve our powerplays. It is getting worse every day. Today's game we could barely set things up. We are tossing the puck around like we are still playing 5 on 5. This is not new. This has been happening for the last 8 weeks and we keep doing the same thing over and over again hoping things will change. Powerplays will get even more intense as we face stronger teams.

It is always good to be optimistic but it is even better to be realistic. That way you can start fixing things early in the game/series/session. At this point, we may only have 6 more games (or less)

Edited by CanuckBoss, 11 April 2012 - 11:29 PM.

Posted Image

#34 10Bure14Burrows

10Bure14Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Fire Av and staff. Surprised Newell hasn't been replaced.

Are we tht bad ? Then Wht about penguins lead 3-0 . Lost In overtime 3-4

So you mean they should fire dan bylsma and staff too !

Edited by 10Bure14Burrows, 11 April 2012 - 11:30 PM.

Forever Canuck !

#35 afan

afan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

AV was not coaching behind the bench. He should have stopped the non stop marching into the box during the game. Raymond is always a useless guy on the top two lines but a useful guy on the 3 or 4 th lines. Move Lapierre to the top line and Higgins to the second line in game 2. Drop Raymond to the third line and Vancouver will have a more balanced forward lines.

#36 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

in all honesty i checked the depth chart on the canucks site today, saw the lines, and immediately thought were losing this game.
i hate the fact i was right but really, raymond on top line! when during the season did he play well enough to even consider putting up there? we were doing really well with lappy up there, shouldnt have changed what was working, playoffs or not. id say thats the only coaching issue. the powerplay has struggled but going right after the coaches for that is a little drastic, the players need to step it up if anything and they surely will when danny comes back.

Good post, that is pretty much our problem. When have MayRay on the first line and Max on the 2nd.. both good players, but without a proven chemistry they are not actually that level of player for lengthy stretches of time. Max showed he could be on the 1st, I'm not sure why they changed it up. The problem I guess, is who do you plug into these spots now?

It's 1 game, they can make more changes but it was a pretty abysmal showing. We can't really bank on Danny coming back, concussions are serious business.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#37 jtt

jtt

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

people who say "it's only one game" and "look we had the best record in the league" are blindly ignoring that the canucks have played very poorly this year....just because u win a game doesnt mean u played well.....like AV likes to say, the process isn't there right now....and yes i agree the canucks were thoroughly beat by LA tonight, starting from coaching on down....

#38 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

people who say "it's only one game" and "look we had the best record in the league" are blindly ignoring that the canucks have played very poorly this year....just because u win a game doesnt mean u played well.....like AV likes to say, the process isn't there right now....and yes i agree the canucks were thoroughly beat by LA tonight, starting from coaching on down....

tough not to agree. its the truth like it or not.
i still believe 1000% that the canucks take this series in 6.. this will act as a good wake up call.
im confused by people acting like daniel sedin missing from the lineup is why our pp was no good.. do people forget it was lackluater when daniel was still in the lineup?

i really wonder at times whether the majority of people on here actually watch the games..

Posted Image

#39 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

The coach didn't trade away one of the few sources of secondary scoring the Canucks had for a overrated, dumb as a rock, not Nhl ready player at the deadline. That was Gillis.

If you want to trade Hodsgon you have to get something better back than Alex Stojanov2.0. Like perhaps a proven NHL'er who could actually help the Canucks in the next couple of years while the window of opportunity is open.

Edited by gradin123, 12 April 2012 - 12:59 AM.

#40 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

Blaming the coach is absurd. A year ago the same coaching staff was behind one of the best powerplays in the league.

Their powerplay is a shadow of its former self, who is responsible for that if not the coaching staff?

#41 afan

afan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

There is no excuse for AV and coaches to let the PP have a slump for so long. The guys need to shoot the puck more often, especially those one-timers from the point. Bieksa especially, always fakes a shot at the point and then make an useless pass. Shoot the puck and go for the rebound is the only way to make this PP work. It is senseless trying to make those cross-ice perfect passes without shooting the puck. You don't shoot, you don't score. It's that simple.

#42 MariWanna

MariWanna

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Sorry that AV or any of the rest of the coaching staff can't score us any PP goals, OP.

BELIEVE

"The more saves you make, the more they rally around you. And you do whatever it takes to keep them believing. That's what a city can do for a goalie, and a goalie can do for a city."

Posted Image

#43 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Their powerplay is a shadow of its former self, who is responsible for that if not the coaching staff?

The general manager who traded away one of the few sources of secondary scoring the Canucks had for a overrated, dumb as a rock, not NHL ready player at the deadline. I don't see Kassian helping on the Power Play. Honestly Kassian isn't good enough to even be on the team but Gillis would look horrible if he got sent down so he'll continue to do nothing productive on the 4th line.

#44 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,771 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Yes, because when is the last time a team with a failing powerplay went anywhere in the playoffs?

Posted Image

...Oh.
Posted Image

#45 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Im starting to wonder if were seeing AV getting out coached again.

IF we get eliminated in the 1st round, hello McTavish.

I have never been an AV fan but I don't think you can pin this one on him.

#46 GrindTIMEr

GrindTIMEr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Fire av, bring linden as coach! Lolol

#47 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

The team didn't look too motivated last night. Seems to be a common theme with this group.
We all heard a lot of ......
"Oh its regular season....don't worry they will play hard in the playoffs"
"They're saving it for the playoffs"
heard that a million times the last couple months
If you can't get up for playoff games you might as well pack it in.
Its either the coaches or the "core" group of leadership who decided last night to embellish/dive and chirp and not actually play hockey.

Either way... we've seen this team play horrible games before and this was one of them.
Game 2 will tell us a lot about the "heart of a canuck"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#48 georgeparrosesmustache

georgeparrosesmustache

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

lol k

Posted Image

Pleasejustwin.

#49 bounceshot

bounceshot

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

AV was not coaching behind the bench. He should have stopped the non stop marching into the box during the game. Raymond is always a useless guy on the top two lines but a useful guy on the 3 or 4 th lines. Move Lapierre to the top line and Higgins to the second line in game 2. Drop Raymond to the third line and Vancouver will have a more balanced forward lines.

Don't know what AV was or wasn't saying to the players on the bench but I agree with your Raymond, Higgins and Lapierre movement. I didn't notice Raymond as much as I thought I would last night (that is..falling and giving the puck away). In my opinion, Raymond's leash is very short and he's getting closer to the press box. Hope he proves me wrong on Friday!

#50 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the players have to execute do they not? They've been getting chances but they aren't finishing.

Also, unless the coaches are deliberately telling the players not to shoot when they have a shooting lane or an opportunity to score...then it all falls onto the players shoulders.
Posted Image

#51 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

I was thinking that I shouldn't go on the boards today for fear of all the panic threads and people blowing things way out of proportion. I should have listened to myself.

#52 89mogilny

89mogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

There is only one reason our PP isn`t clicking - our defensemen are not real PP quarterbacks.

Don`t gimme the Edler and Bieksa have this many points garbage.

Take a look at any other team, Philly with Timonen, Pitts with Letang, LA with Doughty or even Suter with Nashville. (And I say Suter, not Weber because other than not having as good a shot as Weber, he is better at moving the puck.)

If our D could pass the puck to a player without stopping it for a moment we would have more open shots at the net and play better, that`s why we succeeded last year with Ehrhoff and now without him, we have PP QB pretenders who can`t make the open pass or get the puck on goal.

Go home to anyone who thinks Edler is elite, LOL!
Posted Image

IM STILL AROOOOOOUND!

#53 afan

afan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

After winning 3 games in the Chicago series last season, AV cancelled practice on the day before game 4 and not one of the players showed up in the game. After losing to the Kings last night with the team's play awful at best, Vancouver does not even have an on-ice practice for the whole team today. This city should know what to expect in game 2.

When Lapierre played well on the top line, he was put on the 2nd line where he had not spent any time through 82 games. Higgins was put on the 3rd line when the American line had become a constant threat to the opposition. The 4 th line AV put together vs the Kings never played before as a line. The defensive pairings are all new to the players when it comes close to the playoffs. I'm not so sure if this is the way to coach and win. All I see is there is zero chemistry among the lines and defensive pairings AV put together.

Time is running out, AV has to put Lapierre back on the top line, Higgins to the 2nd line and Raymond on the 3rd line together with the old defensive pairing in game 2. And I'd AV cannot stop Kesler and Lapierre wasting energy after the whistle, this will be a short series.

#54 *Buzzsaw*

*Buzzsaw*

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

I say AGAIN:

This is a failure in coaching.

If the Powerplay is not working, CHANGE IT.

Change the personel, change the setup, this should have been done two months ago when it started to have problems.

The current PP setup IS NOT WORKING.

AV needs to stop sitting there like a quivering fat faced chipmunk and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

#55 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

AV is not the problem.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.