Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is The Nhl 'fixed' ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 TheSteamer

TheSteamer

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Given the obvious 'management' of games. . .

Given the completely inconsistent officiating that ALWAYS seems to favour keeping games close and ... teams in it. . .

Given the favouritism shown to small market american teams. . .

Given the completely amorphus standards. . .

Given that Shanahan is a complete joke. . .

Given that all the old referees have been run out of the game. . .

Is there any other conclusion than the NHL is now the WWF?

#turnitoff

Edited by hockeyville88, 16 April 2012 - 01:25 PM.
Swear filter bypass

New season.

#2 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Nah.

Posted Image

#3 TVank15

TVank15

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

If the NHL was "fixed" there would be no chance of the Pens getting swept in the first round. The NHL would get their golden boy to the cup every year if they were fixing things.
Posted Image
Thanks to 23Qwerty

#4 resdog

resdog

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

No X 7
Perception is 9/10ths of the flaw

#5 Kwyjibo on the Loose

Kwyjibo on the Loose

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

For it to be fixed properly, you'd need to have men smarter than Bettman and Campbell in charge...I'm just assuming the cluster... of a season is based on incompetance of all league officials

Edited by hockeyville88, 16 April 2012 - 01:25 PM.
Swear filter bypass

#6 TheSteamer

TheSteamer

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

This is what politicians do too; they blame it on incompetence when it is actually carefully crafted. I just don't believe that the integrity of the game can stand up to billions of dollars in capitalist profits. No billion dollar capitalist organization leaves anything to chance. It is all about containing risk and maximizing return.
New season.

#7 Baka

Baka

ばか

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

It's not fixed, just poorly run. Honor and integrity was sold out for the mighty $$

I personally don't even put that much blame on the refs considering they are constantly told to do things different back and forth from week to week. One day it's call the game strict and maintain control. The next day it's let the players play and don't dictate the game. Then we have Shanaban literally pulling numbers out of a hat to determine suspension length which is obviously giving the players mixed signals because it isn't just 1 playoff series getting out of control it's almost every series.

It's chaotic. Though I admit I am still enjoying the games.

Posted Image

#8 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

wow i've never heard this theory before!

no, i don't think the NHL is rigged.

Is there any other conclusion than the NHL is now the WWF?

yes, there is. you have homer glasses on. refs are inconsistent in every sport. have you watched any other sports?

soccer- what's a foul? was that a yellow or red card? penalty kick? suspension? super inconsistent

baseball- strike zone? ejection from the game? suspension? balk? super inconsistent

football- pass interference? roughing the passer? unnecessary roughness? contact to the head? suspensions? super inconsistent

basketball- hello, FOULS? technical? suspension? most inconsistent calling ever

hockey is a human sport. mistakes are made. until you have statistics that back up the claim that the reffing "favour keeping games close" then i think you can't just claim it's fixed. (the imaginary stats btw might have something to do with the fact that teams that are ahead tend to play a lot of defense and most penalties are defensive ones)

all of your evidence is either your opinion (which obviously is a little bit skewed) or factually unverified.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#9 chilliwiggins

chilliwiggins

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

For it to be fixed properly, you'd need to have men smarter than Bettman and Campbell in charge...I'm just assuming the clusterf*** of a season is based on incompetance of all league officials

exactly that campbell was'nt smart enough to not get caught, as why he was quietly shuffled. he was busted, via his emails to officials , regarding his son. so to say the game is'nt swayed think again. remember shortly after the last lockout, what brendan morrison said? (hockey is no longer a sport, it's entertainment)

#10 TheSteamer

TheSteamer

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

all of your evidence is either your opinion (which obviously is a little bit skewed) or factually unverified.

Nothing 'homer' about it, Chief. It has absolutley nothing to do with the Canucks and everything to do with the league managing the competitve flow of games in an effort to keep TV audiences tuned in, and widely distributed. I don't believe the players are intentionally scoring/missing, but I do believe there is a code of silence tied to the payers' revenue sharing deal which causes them, for the most part, to turn a blind eye to the obvious interventions of NHL head office.
New season.

#11 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

there is a code of silence tied to the payers' revenue sharing deal which causes them, for the most part, to turn a blind eye to the obvious interventions of NHL head office.

codes of silences don't tend to work especially with so many people involved. besides, every player has a huge interest in winning because that greatly affects their contracts.

what obvious interventions of the NHL head office do you speak of? if they want games to be close, why are there so many blowouts? why didn't they call a penalty on LA yesterday to make it go to OT? why were 4 of 7 games of the SCF last year blowouts? why did philly keep getting power plays yesterday when they were winning, instead of letting the penguins a chance to get back in to the game and the series?
Posted Image

#12 TheSteamer

TheSteamer

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

codes of silences don't tend to work especially with so many people involved. besides, every player has a huge interest in winning because that greatly affects their contracts.

what obvious interventions of the NHL head office do you speak of? if they want games to be close, why are there so many blowouts? why didn't they call a penalty on LA yesterday to make it go to OT? why were 4 of 7 games of the SCF last year blowouts? why did philly keep getting power plays yesterday when they were winning, instead of letting the penguins a chance to get back in to the game and the series?

Pittsburgh has its Cup.
LA needs to move on.
Boston was supposed to win.
New season.

#13 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

I don't think it is fixed.

It is heavily favored towards specific teams in order to maximize profits South of the border.

oh wait...

this sounds familiar.

#14 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Pittsburgh has its Cup.
LA needs to move on.
Boston was supposed to win.

but everyone wants to keep watching this series! think of the TV ratings, let alone all the tickets that would be purchased at absurd prices.

why does L.A. need to move on now? why not prolong the series? it would help the ratings, and get everyone in LA more excited.

If boston was supposed to win, why did they receive more penalties than the canucks? why wasn't burrows suspended?

seriously i just don't think it adds up to a conspiracy.
Posted Image

#15 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

It comes down to inconsistency from the refs. They should not have the power to swing momentum in games with phantom calls and non-calls.

And I'm not saying this only happens to the Canucks because it is a league wide epidemic

#16 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Nah, it's just broken.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#17 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

but everyone wants to keep watching this series! think of the TV ratings, let alone all the tickets that would be purchased at absurd prices.

why does L.A. need to move on now? why not prolong the series? it would help the ratings, and get everyone in LA more excited.

If boston was supposed to win, why did they receive more penalties than the canucks? why wasn't burrows suspended?

seriously i just don't think it adds up to a conspiracy.

If cold cocking a guy twice and then pummeling him on the ice is worth 1 game, how many games is an unverified nibble on the gloves worth?
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#18 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

If cold cocking a guy twice and then pummeling him on the ice is worth 1 game, how many games is an unverified nibble on the gloves worth?

different years, but i get your point.
2 games seems to be the norm for biting.

http://www.sportsnet...1/07/ruutu_nhl/

edit: or one, which is what marc savard got

Edited by La Mauviette75, 16 April 2012 - 02:37 PM.

Posted Image

#19 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Is The Nhl 'fixed' ?

There are too many variables to control too produce an outcome that you might want. But I believe that a team could be blacklisted, or as the play-offs evolve, you could give certain teams a helping hand.

For example........Ever since Bettman blocked the sale of Phoenix to Balsillie,Ive noticed a lot of game management in close games with Phoenix. And Im not talkin just with Vancouver, every team. They did go from cellar dwellar of ten years or so to regular play-off apperences in that very year. Can you imagine if after blocking that sale for them to continue too dwell at the bottom of the league......We're are talkin Bettman here.

Edited by puck n icehole, 16 April 2012 - 06:09 PM.

formerly......puck n icehole

#20 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

If the NHL was "fixed" there would be no chance of the Pens getting swept in the first round. The NHL would get their golden boy to the cup every year if they were fixing things.

Boston are there golden boys...so...yay

29mln9e.jpg

CHOCOLATE RAIN, YOU GUYS! CHOCOLATE RAIN!

Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

#21 Fanuck

Fanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

The NHL, for the past 10-15 years has operated despite itself, not because of itself.

The board of governers, NHLPA, and League officials will not be satisfied until they completely 'Americanize' this game for the sake of weak-market teams with large TV contracts.

Every year that goes by, every change the NHL makes, every minor (or major in some cases) tweak the board of governers/owners make to 'Americanize' the game, I become less of a fan.

The sad part is that I've realized and come to terms with the fact that the league I've loved for my entire life couldn't care one bit if they lose me as a fan if they gain 2 other fringe fans in some weak-market American city.

#22 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Maybe a bit,but I don't think so.
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#23 TVank15

TVank15

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Boston are there golden boys...so...yay

I'm going with Crosby being the Golden boy. Face of the NHL, best player in the world, League apologizes for a ref missing a call changed the momentum against the Pens.
Posted Image
Thanks to 23Qwerty

#24 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

no... and don't ask me to "support" or "back it up," because this topic has been brought up every year for longer than I've been a member here, and I've grown tired of pointing out the same stuff over and over every year.

#25 puckluv

puckluv

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

maybe not fixed but -- it seems there are bounties out there :(

"kill the head, the body will die" Gregg Williams

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Michael Jordon

#26 WPGFan

WPGFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

There's no way it's fixed. With all the leaks and unnamed sources for the leaks, we would have heard by now!

#27 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I don't think Bettman wants a specific team to win...so long as it's an American team that wins it. He wants to grow the market in USA. He doesn't have to worry about Canada cuz hockey is like our national sport.

#28 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Is The Nhl 'fixed' ?

There are too many variables to control too produce an outcome that you might want. But I believe that a team could be blacklisted, or as the play-offs evolve, you could give certain teams a helping hand.

For example........Ever since Bettman blocked the sale of Phoenix to Balsillie,Ive noticed a lot of game management in close games with Phoenix. And Im not talkin just with Vancouver, every team. They did go from cellar dwellar of ten years or so to regular play-off apperences in that very year. Can you imagine if after blocking that sale for them to continue too dwell at the bottom of the league......We're are talkin Bettman here.

If anything I would think that since the 29 other clubs effectively own and pay to operate the Coyotes I would think it would create all kinds of anger amongst owners if the Coyotes were receiving favourable treatment.

#29 Mr. Self Destruct

Mr. Self Destruct

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Fixed? No. Biased? Yes.

I am an exit.

#30 Hectic

Hectic

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

This - and also the shanahan thing okay maybe, but on ice officiating isn't fixed.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.