Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Schneider Starting Game 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
309 replies to this topic

#301 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

trade luongo for quick

:bigblush:

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#302 cool story bro

cool story bro

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

I think that it's a big deal to the individual goalies but you guys are blowing this all out of proportion.

First, remember it was AV's and not MG's decision to start Schneider. However, it will be MG's decision on whether to trade either goalie.

Second, who says this is the end of the Luongo era? Lu is still a great goalie. It just seems like RIGHT NOW, the team plays better in front of Schneids. CS may still get traded.
Posted Image

#303 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

have schneids in net. scratch kassian and put lu in his place.

:bigblush:

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#304 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Didn't hear the announcement.

You won't ,either.

Listen to the AV interview when he had to say which goalie was playing.

It was not his decision to start Schneids.

Wow... you are right. I went back and watched the video and even just by the tone of AV's voice and what he says, it sure appears that the decision was not his.

#305 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

it would depend on how they lost.

:lol: ... No

Edited by soshified, 18 April 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#306 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

In a do-or-die game the coaching staff has to put out the best possible roster in their minds that can win us the game. When they choose to start Schneider over Luongo, kind of saying that they feel Schneider has more chance of giving the team a chance to win over Luongo. Now this really will start a goalie controversy.

#307 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

Brutal decision. I don't think the goaltending was the reason the canucks played better in game 3. Nor was it the reason we lost any of the games. It is not good because of the bigger picture. Sure if you want to be simple minded and say that Schneider gives us a good chance to win this etc thats fine. But if you look at the bigger picture, not starting Luongo means that the chances of him staying in Vancouver are reduced significantly, and even if that's the plan what happens when you dont get the trade offer that you want? You should never box yourself into a situation like that.

For those of you who are simple enough to think that it is just about winning this one game and it wont matter big picture, I don't even know what to say. Schneider and Luongo give us similar chances to win today. From that perspective, yes Schneider starting isn't a bad thing. However, anyone who knows anything about hockey could point out that this move means that however long these playoffs are, Luongo will not get another start for no fault of his own and will likely be on his way out even if we can't get anything good for him or even remotely improve the team as a result. If either goalie gives us a similar chance to win, but you create problems by choosing one then you might as well choose the other. Unless you believe Schneider is by FAR the better choice to play, in which case you are as much of a bandwagoner as the Luongo fans you decry. The team and town already have a bad rep for how players are treated, I doubt this helps that at all.

I think that this is a mistake, but I care more about whether or not we win today and I hope we do and somehow come back to win the series in 7. That's my main concern as a fan of the team, but I don't like this move.

#308 Gaunce

Gaunce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

If we win today it will be really hard to go back to Lu
Posted Image

#309 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

I think that it's a big deal to the individual goalies but you guys are blowing this all out of proportion.

First, remember it was AV's and not MG's decision to start Schneider. However, it will be MG's decision on whether to trade either goalie.

Second, who says this is the end of the Luongo era? Lu is still a great goalie. It just seems like RIGHT NOW, the team plays better in front of Schneids. CS may still get traded.

Nah.Go back and listen to the interview with the announcement of the starting goaltender.

Luo has been told he is not the go-to goalie in the most important game of the year.

AV wanted Luo to go in and so we have a division of starting goalie and coach vs. the GM's ultimatum.

Edited by nuck nit, 18 April 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#310 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Brutal decision. I don't think the goaltending was the reason the canucks played better in game 3. Nor was it the reason we lost any of the games. It is not good because of the bigger picture. Sure if you want to be simple minded and say that Schneider gives us a good chance to win this etc thats fine. But if you look at the bigger picture, not starting Luongo means that the chances of him staying in Vancouver are reduced significantly, and even if that's the plan what happens when you dont get the trade offer that you want? You should never box yourself into a situation like that.

For those of you who are simple enough to think that it is just about winning this one game and it wont matter big picture, I don't even know what to say. Schneider and Luongo give us similar chances to win today. From that perspective, yes Schneider starting isn't a bad thing. However, anyone who knows anything about hockey could point out that this move means that however long these playoffs are, Luongo will not get another start for no fault of his own and will likely be on his way out even if we can't get anything good for him or even remotely improve the team as a result. If either goalie gives us a similar chance to win, but you create problems by choosing one then you might as well choose the other. Unless you believe Schneider is by FAR the better choice to play, in which case you are as much of a bandwagoner as the Luongo fans you decry. The team and town already have a bad rep for how players are treated, I doubt this helps that at all.

I think that this is a mistake, but I care more about whether or not we win today and I hope we do and somehow come back to win the series in 7. That's my main concern as a fan of the team, but I don't like this move.

You're right, it's exactly about the big picture. If it was never about the big picture, Schneider would not have started game 3. I don't think it was really about giving the team a spark; at that point, it was essentially a do-or-die scenario, and either way, the Canucks were coming to play, and they did. Schneider did everything he could to make that decision look like the right one, and I don't think he did anything to make anyone think otherwise...he made some terrific saves, none bigger than the 3-on-1 early in the 1st.

I also think starting Schneider tonight is the right choice. At this point, you'd be hard pressed to say that he isn't the better goaltender right now, though very inexperienced. This way, if we bow out (which looks likely), Schneider will have gotten his feet wet at playing in the post-season.

I don't think the Canucks have to trade Luongo in the off-season because of this, but I think there have been indications that the organization are just loathe to trade Schneider, not only because of his skill level, but his character as well. Moving forward, it's the right choice. Luongo has been on the decline in terms of agility and athleticism in the past few years. I think that Luongo has shown a high level of commitment when he's adjusted his game to maximize his strengths, which is size, battle, and reflexes. Things like that will not go unnoticed to a potential buyer, and Luongo is by all means still a great goaltender.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.