The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

sedinz

If they don't make major changes to this team, no matter how much Gillis claims "others" are envious of our team, the Canucks will have trouble selling out their games and will have to manufacture their "sellouts". This market is too knowledgeable to be served proven failed models of the same ineffective players: Raymond Malhotra Luongo to name a few.

It's not like he came out and disclosed the conversations that were had. He said he'd spent more time in three years on Coho issues than the rest of the team combined, where is the violation of confidentiality in that?

-Hodgson – “spent more time in the last 3 years dealing with Cody issues than with all other players combined.” (Kind of reminds me of certain CDC members’ priorities.) Priceless, and strong stuff for Mike so you know he had it up to here what with the guy.

I don't believe the cancerous part or the attitude. Some players need to play and he wasn't getting it here. Doesn't mean he was dragging the team down in the locker room. At least that's not the sense i get when the players are all talking and laughing.

Kyle Turris needed to play. Ottawa gave it to him and now he's progressing pretty well. That could be the same for Cody.

Thrilled to hear that the plan is to get younger and stronger

100% agree with that

Nice to have some clarity on Cody's situation

Annoyed that he's still sticking with Mason Raymond. The Canucks have shown Raymond such patience and loyalty. He'd better reward them with his performance next season

Was hoping for a bit more clarity on the goalie situation but perhaps he doesn't know what the plan is yet either.

Seems unfathomable to let Schneider go though

Interesting to hear that MG admit that the team wasn't the same after the Boston game. We all said it and the team denied it but I guess it was true.

Also interesting to hear him call Game 1 of the playoffs a disaster because it was but I just never thought he'd say that.

Hopefully our prospects work hard this summer so that they are ready to make the team next year. We need that youthful talent and energy

Gillis didn't need to trade Cody this year. Cody was playing hard for the Canucks, if he was a discontent you couldn't tell by his effort on the ice. Gillis is making excuses for the trade.

Ultimately though Gillis said Kassian was one of 6 players he has been targeting for Cody and he would do the trade again. He can be judged on that assessment of Kassian in the long run but in the short run it has been a failure.

Also, I am not sure limiting trade discussions to just 6 players is a good strategy.

I was hopping they could, at the time, give him more chance. Maybe take some pressure off of the first and second line.

I'll give Cody one thing, he's driven.

I am somewhat disappointed. He is an awesome player.

Good luck to him.

Everyone is acting as if Gillis blatabtly bad-mouthed Cody on live TV. He was basically saying (if you read between the lines) that he worked with Cody to improve his ability as a player and tried to put him in as big a role as he could without sacrificing the teams ability to compere. That being said, it was clear to him that Cody would've rather played a larger role on a different team than a smaller role on this one. I don't think either party lost integrity or was thrown under the bus, he handled that question (after being asked the same one for the 10000000000th time since deadline day) with professionalism.

Furthermore, if you watch any post-season interviews, it's clear that MG, AV and the rest of management all have a strict confidentiality policy while their team or teams they've dealt with directly are still competing in the season. Once that's over, they open up quite a bit to the media, which I think is respectable both strategically and professionally.

Gillis didn't need to trade Cody this year. Cody was playing hard for the Canucks, if he was a discontent you couldn't tell by his effort on the ice. Gillis is making excuses for the trade.

Ultimately though Gillis said Kassian was one of 6 players he has been targeting for Cody and he would do the trade again. He can be judged on that assessment of Kassian in the long run but in the short run it has been a failure.

Also, I am not sure limiting trade discussions to just 6 players is not a good strategy.

Also, I am not sure limiting trade discussions to just 6 players is not a good strategy.

sure hope the Canucks don't join the Nash sweepstakes (heard the Iginla sweepstakes which could be good but hope they don't have to sell the farm for him)... also good for some clarification from MG himself about the Cody situation (that doesn't make the Kassian acquisition any more justified at present... but good assertion at least on MG's part in establishing the team core with Hank and Kes, just hope Cody doesn't become the stud who in retrospect could've made the difference, or that Kass becomes a bust)

also, if Raymond is qualified can his rights still be traded?

Put it together. Daddy Hodgson is a politician and realtor from Toronto. How did this benefit his popularity by having his hockey star son in Vancouver, a market that could of well been on Mars. Get me my son back here. I love that Gillis finally, let out the truth that his family were a huge pain in the a**.

Archived