Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Ot Goal Was Soft

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

#121 SwedishCrowns

SwedishCrowns

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

funny i think that could be said about any goalie that has played for any extended period.

why is it always salo on the ice?

#122 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

There was a lot of net to shoot at on the OT winner, but let's face it, goaltending was not the issue this year. Period.

#123 'NucKô

'NucKô

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

There was a lot of net to shoot at on the OT winner, but let's face it, goaltending was not the issue this year. Period.

It was a 2-1... if there hadn't been much net then there would've just been a cross ice pass.

I don't how this thread isn't locked yet.. we wouldn't have made it to OT if it wasn't for Cory's stellar play..
Posted Image

#124 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

any goaltender can be beaten up high. because they can't butterfly across the top of the net.

it was a great shot!

#125 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Perfect shot on a 2on1.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#126 Tm085

Tm085

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

If it was Lu, We would never make it into OT, We would have lost into regulation.

yeah and if we started Schneider game 1 we would have swept them right? don't be retarded

#127 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

How many people when they saw it thought wow what a weak goal for an OT winner. In game 4 people were saying that Lu would have never made the penalty shot save, but on the flip side it is fair to say that Lu wouldn't have been scored on like that in an OT.

Interesting in the media that what seems clearly a bad goal has not been called that.

OT goal was not Schneider's fault! The one to tie it was bad and he was way out of position.

We lost because we could not score!

Edited by VMR, 24 April 2012 - 03:44 PM.

They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#128 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

He had to because there was still a pass option!!!!! :picard: I wish more people played goalie even casually so they wouldn't be so clueless.

It wasn't a great goal to let in, Schneids wasn't in very good position but than again salo was in no mans land. I think what the Op is getting at is that the fan base doesn't blame Schneids for goals that we would run Lui out of town for allowing.

I'm a big Schneider fan but OP is right. Schneider was playing the pass instead of the shooter and he got beat.

However the blame falls to Hammer for the brutal turnover because Schneid was probably not expecting that 2 on 1 in the first place.

My two cents...

Schneider's positioning was atrocious on that 2-on-1. You're supposed to play the shooter, not attempt to cover the far post or something.

Stoll's shot wasn't a laser beam at all. It went slightly above Schneider's shoulder. Luongo was have easily stopped it since he's way bigger and Luongo's positioning is generally more sound.

Salo was caught flat on the play, didn't take away the pass as the other King was wide open for the 1 timer, Schneids and any goalie for that matter has to respect that play aswell. I can't remember which game it was in when the commentators were commenting on the perfect execution on the 2 on 1 by the kings defenseman to eliminate any cross ice pass, enabling Quick to focus solely on the shooter, making it a much easier save to make.

The shot was a rocket, and Schneids was deep, but he also had to respect the high probability that that pass was going cross ice considering Salo was so indecisive on the play and put himself in a position that was entirely beneficial to the both Kings players on that 2 on 1. Salo might aswell have not even been there.

#129 schneider

schneider

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

lmao it was a 2 on 1 and he roofed it right over his shoulder.

are u nuts? schneider can't stop everything, especially 2 on 1s with a perfect shot finish

#130 JMKL

JMKL

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

How many people when they saw it thought wow what a weak goal for an OT winner. In game 4 people were saying that Lu would have never made the penalty shot save, but on the flip side it is fair to say that Lu wouldn't have been scored on like that in an OT.

Interesting in the media that what seems clearly a bad goal has not been called that.

Hater

#131 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

And this, ladies and gentlemen is why the Vancouver Canucks are called a goaltending graveyard. Point a finger at the goalie and there are 3 pointing back right at you. Luongo? Schneider? Lack? Doesn't matter. None of them will be good enough for any of you.

tumblr_m8tr8mGRkW1rdrug2o1_400.jpg    tumblr_ncj1ajVA7j1tb6rtvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#132 JMKL

JMKL

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Can you do better?

#133 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

The OP wasnt trying to blame Schneider. He just said it was a soft goal and if Luongo was in net, Lu would have save it. The OP also mentioned if Luongo was to allow that OT goal, fans and media will rip apart Luongo.

Just my personal view on this topic

Edited by soshified, 24 April 2012 - 05:04 PM.

Posted Image

#134 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Salo was caught flat on the play, didn't take away the pass as the other King was wide open for the 1 timer, Schneids and any goalie for that matter has to respect that play aswell. I can't remember which game it was in when the commentators were commenting on the perfect execution on the 2 on 1 by the kings defenseman to eliminate any cross ice pass, enabling Quick to focus solely on the shooter, making it a much easier save to make.

The shot was a rocket, and Schneids was deep, but he also had to respect the high probability that that pass was going cross ice considering Salo was so indecisive on the play and put himself in a position that was entirely beneficial to the both Kings players on that 2 on 1. Salo might aswell have not even been there.

Thanks for the substance.

The OP wasnt trying to blame Schneider. He just said it was a soft goal and if Luongo was in net, Lu would have save it. The OP also mentioned if Luongo was to allow that OT goal, fans and media will rip apart Luongo.

Just my personal view on this topic

And yes, agreed.

In general imo the knee-jerk black/white tendency to label any/every post as lover/hater here is patently absurd. Hello to all the '3-year-olds', but really, its good to see some posts with a bit of reason about them. Congratulations to the ones who can see some nuance here.

#135 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

But many of the previous 26 saves Lu may not have had and ther ewouldn't have been an OT. That whole argument is just ridiculous!

Yeah man Luu would give up 6 goals every game. :picard:

It seems to me the point the OP is making is Luu would make that save. Now there is no telling for sure because he was not in net, but Luu is bigger, and good on the blocker which would give him a better chance at saving it. In no way should anyway say it was a "soft" goal. On a 2-on-1 Schneids needs to respect the pass and by doing that you give up more net to shoot at.

#136 wesley

wesley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Great, Schneider bashing has already started. :lol:

#137 Resiliency

Resiliency

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

This is exactly why Vancouver fans are the most hated fans in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if both Luongo and Schneider are driven out of town.

Posted Image

#138 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Bring...............back................the...............minus boutton!

Posted Image

30rw2li.jpg   ..................... Put Gino in the Ring of Honour!  .......................  2hg788l.jpg

#139 bananian

bananian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

So we want to run Schneider out of town already?

#140 bananian

bananian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Honestly guys, not blaming Schneider AT ALL, he was the reason it went to OT, but seriously, Lu would have saved that particular shot. I think that was what the OP was getting at. Lu is bigger, and covers more of the net, all he would have to do is move his glove a little.

No he wouldn't. It was top shelf and Lu would have stay deep in net too b/c it was a 2 on 1.

#141 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

"Honestly guys, not blaming Schneider AT ALL, he was the reason it went to OT, but seriously, Lu would have saved that particular shot. I think that was what the OP was getting at. Lu is bigger, and covers more of the net, all he would have to do is move his glove a little".

This sounds very much like what Luongo said about Thomas
Is this Roberto ?
Maybe Thomas giving it back? :)

Either way its a stupid comment
Doesnt matter who Your goalies name is, If
He can come in cold and makes 97 saves out of 101 shots, with No Mcsofties,and has a 1.31 gaa

Not to attack Luongo either but Your assumptions are rediculus
check the stats between them for both the season and playoffs
So Your speculation is based on?

Edited by ba;;isticsports, 24 April 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#142 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

I think Schneider thought Salo was going to get there and stop the shot but Salo gave up. He is just too old.

#143 TKF

TKF

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Lu would have let Kopitar score at the end of first. Lu just can't stop breakaways.

When the thunder strikes, all creatures seek shelter.

#144 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

I dissagree i feel the defenseman on the play (Bieksa i think) should have played the shooted making it harderfor him to shoot since schnieder was ready for the pass.

OMG. Really? From the time little D-men are 4 and 5 years old they are taught their job on a 2on 1 is to take away the pass. The goalie takes the shooter. Hockey 101. Please don't post about positioning or defensive responsibility any longer.

Sorry to be a bit mean but come on. The fault on the play is with the turnover. I've watched the replay a bunch of times. Could Corey have squared up a bit better? Sure. Is it his fault? No. Stoll buries a laser upstairs. That's it.
Posted Image

#145 thekeslerfan

thekeslerfan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

"It's an easy save for me"

#146 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

The media hasn't called it a bad goal because it wasn't a bad goal. Could Schneider have played it better? Perhaps, and I'm sure Schneider could tell you how he could have played it slightly better in hindsight. But hockey is a game where you need to make split second decisions and on a 2-1 like that there are many things that Schneider has to factor in before deciding how to commit.

Last time I checked there is no such thing as a perfect goalie. It's the goalies job to give the team a chance to win night in and night out. To expect perfection is unrealistic and exhausting.

If that goal is considered a bad goal, if that is where the bar is set, then be prepared to be a disappointed hockey fan for a very long time unless we find the perfect goaltender and go 98-0. I'm not going to wait for that day. I'll be behind the Canucks with either Luongo or Schneider. One is a great goalie, the other looks to be turning into great goalie. They will let in bad goals, and when that happens the team needs to bail them out.

#147 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

I think Schneider thought Salo was going to get there and stop the shot but Salo gave up. He is just too old.

Haha this made me chuckle. So basically we are ousted from the Playoffs in 5 games, in the first round, because Sami Salo is just "too old"!

All of these people going on and on and over analzying the sh*t out of everything, when really it just comes down to this simple fact. That is too bad, I guess with a younger D man like Grags we would have likely won the round.

I hope this issue is addressed in the offseason.

PS. I'm not bashing you snucks, I just found the simplicity of this explanation to be totally wondeful.

#148 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

Its ironic cause if it this was someone saying Luongo let in a soft one, everyone would be aggreeing with him and the OP would be the only one defending Lu in this thread.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#149 one-x

one-x

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Its ironic cause if it this was someone saying Luongo let in a soft one, everyone would be aggreeing with him and the OP would be the only one defending Lu in this thread.

He wouldn't be the only one ;)

tumblr_m8tr8mGRkW1rdrug2o1_400.jpg    tumblr_ncj1ajVA7j1tb6rtvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.