Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Luongo To Submit Shortlist (Chicago, Florida, Toronto, Tampa Bay)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
341 replies to this topic

#91 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

Ugh, I really wish it didn't come to this.

Wow, I am totally surprised by this report. If true I think Lu's idea not MG's. He must be upset at being sat for the past 3 playoff games.

I still think the better thing to do is move Cory.

Even if we moved Cory now, the message has been sent to Luongo already. They didn't play him in a do-or-die game and went with the backup instead. That in itself already says everything. Even if he stays, he probably won't even feel as wanted, not that I blame him considering the many "happy" comments I'm reading here. Whatever the case, hope he finds a team that he can flourish in.

I bet if he actually did get traded to the Leafs he'd get them to the playoffs.

#92 ghettocanucks101

ghettocanucks101

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

Per Sportsnet:

Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo confirmed with Sportsnet's Dan Murphy Wednesday night that the Maple Leafs are on the short list of teams he will waive his no-trade clause for.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/26/roberto_luongo_trade_rumours_maple_leafs_canucks/

Credit to jordan888

#93 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

This will come back to bite us, like it always does. Luongo will win multiple Stanley Cups in Tampa Bay, while Schneider will become to backup to Lack
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#94 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

I am hearing from a source that the Rumor is Lu for Schenn and Komisarek. Then we'll buy Komisarek out....he will part of the deal so Burke gets rid of his contract.

EW, Gillis better not frack up another trade. Those pieces coming back will do nothing for the Canucks, in fact they will make the Canucks worse. Komi is just pure garbage and I doubt Aquillini would be happy to buy his garbage contract out. Luke Schenn will be worse than Ballard, trust me on this. If people thought Ballard sucked and not worth his cap, wait til you see Schenn perform. Sorry, but I don't want losers for Luongo. I'd rather just keep Luongo then trade him for that crap. I'd bet Luongo would veto that trade because he would be offended by the return he garners.

Posted Image

#95 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,602 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

Mark my words CDC, if we trade Luongo the Canucks will struggle to make the playoffs next season.

Schneider has played a maximum of 30 games in the NHL, and most of these have been spot-starts which is why he's looked so good. This guy is still a kid and has no idea how to pace himself mentally or physically the way a professional starter in this league like Luongo, Lundqvist, Kipprusoff and Rinne do.

The one time Schneider played 7 consecutive games, he was blown out for 3 goals on less than 15 shots in a period, all of which were terrible goals. I am not yet ready to trust this guy with 60 games because he is far from the level Luongo is at.

Worst of all, we'll need to find a bonified backup who is capable of playing at least 20 games, because Schneider's numbers will be even worse if he's asked to play around the 70-game mark, and Eddie Lack is not that guy. The kid may look good in the AHL but has next to no NHL experience, and we can't risk our season, cup chances and possibly the final window of opportunity for our core on 2 mostly-unproven goalies who've never played full-time before.

So like I said before the Hodgson trade, trading Luongo will bite us in the butt, but losing a 3rd line center only cost us a bit of offence in the playoffs. Losing our franchise goalie will cost us wins every single day of the regular season. The way this defence has played all season, we wouldn't have made the playoffs without Luongo and we won't next year if we trade him without a substantial (Weber/Suter) upgrade on defence.
Posted Image

#96 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Man, screw you pathetic Luongo haters. Let's hope you idiots don't eventually turn on Schneider when he starts having bad games.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#97 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

I'd be happy with Franson and their first, but I really don't want Lu to go and especially not to Toronto. I want him to be successful where he goes, but I want Toronto to keep failing.

I hope he goes to Tampa. Win-win situation for him and the Canucks. Canucks get young NHL ready players in Connolly and Purcell, Tampa gets a legit goalie, Luongo goes to a potential playoff contender and be close to his family, Toronto fails again to land a quality goalie and miss the playoffs 8 seasons in a row and Toronto fans and media ask for Burke to be fired. It will be a very happy ending.

Posted Image

#98 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

Mark my words CDC, if we trade Luongo the Canucks will struggle to make the playoffs next season.

Schneider has played a maximum of 30 games in the NHL, and most of these have been spot-starts which is why he's looked so good. This guy is still a kid and has no idea how to pace himself mentally or physically the way a professional starter in this league like Luongo, Lundqvist, Kipprusoff and Rinne do.

The one time Schneider played 7 consecutive games, he was blown out for 3 goals on less than 15 shots in a period, all of which were terrible goals. I am not yet ready to trust this guy with 60 games because he is far from the level Luongo is at.

Worst of all, we'll need to find a bonified backup who is capable of playing at least 20 games, because Schneider's numbers will be even worse if he's asked to play around the 70-game mark, and Eddie Lack is not that guy. The kid may look good in the AHL but has next to no NHL experience, and we can't risk our season, cup chances and possibly the final window of opportunity for our core on 2 mostly-unproven goalies who've never played full-time before.

So like I said before the Hodgson trade, trading Luongo will bite us in the butt, but losing a 3rd line center only cost us a bit of offence in the playoffs. Losing our franchise goalie will cost us wins every single day of the regular season. The way this defence has played all season, we wouldn't have made the playoffs without Luongo and we won't next year if we trade him without a substantial (Weber/Suter) upgrade on defence.

I agree with you that Schneider has been unproven in terms of starting 60-70 games for an NHL team, but a player has to start somewhere don't you think? How do you know Schneider can't take that next step? What if he becomes the next Lunqvist or Quick? You will never know until you try. We have already seen him to be a great back for 30 games, now its his time to shine. He is 26 years old not a 18 year old kid, when should he start? When he is 35?

Posted Image

#99 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

He's 26 now. He isn't just a kid. He's earned the right to start and we can't keep putting it off. He's been waiting for a long time now. And Rinne, Luongo, Lunqvist were even younger than him when they became starters if I remember correctly. You have to begin somewhere. I do think we need a more experienced backup rather than Lack though.

Edited by WestCoastCanucks, 26 April 2012 - 01:31 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#100 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Edited by WestCoastCanucks, 26 April 2012 - 01:30 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#101 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

Is he serious about Toronto? That team just destroys the career of every goalie that goes there Raycroft, Toskala, Giguere, Gustavsson, probably missed some others but he deserves better than Toronto.

sig by Malkin71

#102 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Wow, I am totally surprised by this report. If true I think Lu's idea not MG's. He must be upset at being sat for the past 3 playoff games.

I still think the better thing to do is move Cory.

I think you misunderstand.

Luongo is a starter, and he's been roasted over the coals here over and over, despite being the best goalie the team ever had. He saw Schneider be handed the reigns and he's saying he doesn't want to hurt the team, if they feel Schneider is their guy, he won't stand in the way. Even in saying he'll leave, he's being a "team guy". I respect how he's handled this very much. Very classy and will still be one of my favorite players if he leaves (he was a favorite before he got here).

#103 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,602 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

I agree with you that Schneider has been unproven in terms of starting 60-70 games for an NHL team, but a player has to start somewhere don't you think? How do you know Schneider can't take that next step? What if he becomes the next Lunqvist or Quick? You will never know until you try. We have already seen him to be a great back for 30 games, now its his time to shine. He is 26 years old not a 18 year old kid, when should he start? When he is 35?

He's 26 now. He isn't just a kid. He's earned the right to start and we can't keep putting it off. He's been waiting for a long time now. And Rinne, Luongo, Lunqvist were even younger than him when they became starters if I remember correctly. You have to begin somewhere. I do think we need a more experienced backup rather than Lack though.

He's started a total of 56 games over 4 years in the league. Sure other goalies had sudden jumps into stardom, but I for one am not ready to make that gamble.

We have no idea how he'll handle the extra work load, because the only time he's ever been exposed to consistent starts was when Luongo was injured, and Schneider played terribly because he couldn't manage his fatigue (mental and physical) levels.

Sure, he could be play great and have a Quick-like season at such a young age, but 56 career starts is just not enough to make MG invest all his trust in Schneider. Plenty of wrong could happen, and we will no longer have a backup plan. Basically, if Schneider cannot bear the workload of 60 games in a season and we don't even get a solid backup, the Canucks season is down the drain and we might as well make way for the Avalanche and Oilers who's skilled forwards will tear this kid to shreds if he's not at his best.

Goaltending has been the best part of the Canucks last 2 seasons, without it who knows where we'd be, and I do not want to see what will happen if we don't get good goaltending next season.

Luongo is a proven starting goalie and playoff performer, has done so much for this organization, is being a great team-mate by sitting on the bench and even claiming to waive his NTC for the team, so it would be down-right dishonourable and ignorant of MG to let him go and invest all of his trust in Schneider. Luongo has not started to decline in terms of his play just yet so there is no real need to trade him.

The only reason fans want him gone is because Schneider played 3 good games in the playoffs and looked good in the few regular season starts he got, which is nothing compared to the reliability and body of work of Luongo.
Posted Image

#104 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

^^^^^^^^^
While I agree with your post, I personally feel that I would be willing to move Luongo over Schneider. If you would of asked me at Christmas time, I was still in favour of Luongo, but as the season wore on, you really did see the great positioning that Schneider possesses. I say similar to Iginla, we should get rid of Luongo while is value is at a high, rather than during his decline. Maybe now is his best time to be traded.

On the other hand, with other teams knowing that Luongo is now moveable, Schneider's value may have just sky rocketed as teams that didn't make Luongo's short list may try to persuade Gillis to move Schneider instead.

#105 canuckleface77

canuckleface77

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

According to Kypreos' twitter feed this morning Luongo asked to be traded in exit meeting with Gillis.

Not MG's choice at this point, Luongo wants out.

Let's hope the piece coming back can help the Nucks next year.

#106 tricarboxylic

tricarboxylic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Goodbye, Luongo. You will be missed in Vancouver. It seems that the Reign of Luongo is coming to an end.

#107 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

trade shnieder!@!!!!!!! we will regret !!!

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#108 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

It's good that we are getting rid of that horrible contract. But am I the only one who feels that this is being a tad bit rushed? I mean we were eliminated only less than 4 days ago. Can't this at least wait untill the draft?

Posted Image

#109 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

According to Kypreos' twitter feed this morning Luongo asked to be traded in exit meeting with Gillis.

This will be the first time I'm happy for news from Kypreos. Although I doubt anything that comes out of his mouth (fingers) is true.

#110 gordfish

gordfish

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Sorry, I call BS. No way Toronto is on his list, even if there is a list, which I doubt. If what has been reported today is true, he's asked for a trade. Which means he has officially lifted his NTC.

Gillis will field offers, knowing that Luongo's criteria are that the team be in the eastern timezone and that they are legitimate threat to win the Stanley Cup over the next five seasons. When he gest he deal he likes, he'll ask Lou if he's comfortable playing for that team.

Not only does Toronto not have a chance at winning the Cup over the next five seasons, they have little to offer to Gillis in a return package. Not to mention the media scrutiny in Toronto.

No way in hell he ends up a Leaf.

#111 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

reign of luongo has come to an end.....goodbye luongo........ ill forever be a canucks fan......... but luongo has inspired me in the last few years that........ to whichever team he goes...ill follow him and cheer for that team as long as he's active there...... LUUUUUUUU <3

Well, except for Toronto,,, I agree.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#112 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

"Sources say..."

Are those the same sources that are close to celebrities that reveal all kinds of false nonsense to the press?

If he is going to submit a list, that means Gills officially asked him to waive his NTC. Wouldn't that be the first step in the whole ordeal anyway and the one that should get released to the press first?

1. Gillis asks for the waive.
2. Lu submits list
3. Negotiations begin.

People are jumping the gun again.

??? What is "officially asking his to waive NTC"... I don't recall seeing that in the CBA?

Do you really think we are going to know what is going on through all this, and that they have laid out steps in order to keep us (and all the other GMs) informed?

We will hear nothing until after the playoffs are done and then Luongo will be moved.

#113 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Am I the only one who hopes that we keep him?

He's the first goaltender in the team's history that has played consistently well. Even when he gets into slumps, he still plays well enough to give us a chance. This guy has won us games in the Stanley Cup Finals and is committed to doing whatever he can to take us there again, and we're just going to throw him away so that we can give the gig to an unproven Schneider? In all likelihood, this fanbase will be ranting about Schneiders play with by December.

I think the ship has sailed, for better or worse. Can you just imagine what would happen if we traded Schneider away and then Luongo had his regular slow start to the season? The fans and media would go NUTS! He would be getting booed every home game, and every radio station would be saying what a mistake we made. It would be a terrible distraction for the team and would not be conducive to a good performance by Luongo himself.

#114 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Luongo if he goes to toronto will be for a good package of picks and prospects nothing less.

No way does gillis give him to toronto for crap, trust me toronto will need to overpay as gillis will not want to trade luongo to toronto. Gillis aint a fan of burke and he will not make burke into a playoff team by giving him luongo for peanuts, if another team offers a similar package to toronto gillis will definately take the other teams offer..Book it! He did it with cody he will do it with luongo.

It will take something like, Schenn and their first rounder for luongo.

#115 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,672 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think LU is the instigator for this trade moreso thatn Gillis.  I think GIllis was hoping to have some time to assess the situation and explore keeping both goalies but Lu jumped the gun with his comments about his NTC.

I don't blame him.  Having to sit the last 3 games of the playoffs with all the media hype must have been very painful for him and a blow to his ego. He is not interested in being a "co-goalie" with Cory getting equal billing. He is a starter and wants to finish his career that way.

WHen AV decided to run with Cory, he had to know that would likely be the end for him and Lu. I wonder if MG and the Aquilinis were made aware of the decision and understood the ramifications?

I have a feeling MG was the one who made the descison to play cory, or at least was in the room when the choice was made.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#116 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I think part of the reason Schneider has been so successful is because Luongo carries the main workload and all the pressure. When Schneider plays he goes in with really nothing to lose. It is very easy for him to exceed expectations from coaches, media and fans. When Luongo plays he can NEVER exceed expectations and he can NEVER even meet expectations unless he wins the cup.

So really it's a no win situation for Luongo in Vancouver except for the fact that he makes a ton of dough to play here.

Personally I'm a little nervous about Schneider being #1. I'm not convinced he will be able to be as consistant as Luongo has been for us over the past 6 years. Luongo has been very very good. I'm going to miss him, plus I'm going to have to remove his life size decal from my son's bedroom wall. Maybe I'll slap schneider's face over top for a while if Lui goes....
Posted Image

#117 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

It would be difficult to make a trade for Toronto because both teams are looking to get bigger.

That means the players we would want are the ones that Burke would want to keep.

#118 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

??? What is "officially asking his to waive NTC"... I don't recall seeing that in the CBA?

Do you really think we are going to know what is going on through all this, and that they have laid out steps in order to keep us (and all the other GMs) informed?

We will hear nothing until after the playoffs are done and then Luongo will be moved.

Officially means it is confirmed MG actually asked him to waive it.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#119 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'd tear up if we ended up getting Jake Gardiner, but I'd lose sanity if we got Gudbranson.

Keep dreaming..... any team that takes Lou with his contract is doing the Nucks a favor and that in and of itself is compensation.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#120 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Maybe Burke will overpay. Luo and Raymond for Kadri, Schenn and the 5th overall? Pretty much the only 3 players on Toronto that I would be interested in.

Gardiner?

iM9vOuM.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.