The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Gillis Refutes Reports Of Luongo's Trade List , A Piece About Av As Well

Guest PUNJABI CANUCK

Schneider has been in the organization for 6 years...hardly "out of nowhere"!

It would appear that neither LU or Cory are interested in a platooning system like Thomas and Rask so Gillis is being forced to make a decision.

No-one is disputing what Luongo has done but the decision needs to be based on what is best going forward. Players age, and situations change. Lu wants to be the undisputed #1 on a team and with Cory developing the way he has, there is serious competition.

LU has had a free ticket for 6 years with no real competition. If he isn't willing to earn the # 1 spot by outplaying COry, then he needs to go elsewhere. Not fair to the team, owners or fans to play him out of loyalty over a better goalie. Every other position has to earn their time, so why not LU?

Raymond was on the 4th line at the end with Manny...Burrows was playing 2nd line and Higgins 3rd. Team comes first and if you dont get it done, you see your minutes reduced. Lu appears unwilling to accept that.

good riddance Lu, go be with your wife in Florida and do whats best for this team. Sure, he is a good goalie but he is not the right goalie for this market. look at Price in Montreal, handled the fans and media perfectly after getting the bronx cheer numerous times and his response: stepped up his game and won back the fans. schneiderman will rock it out next year and we will once again win the presidents trophy and finally the cup, without the debacle that is Roberto Luongo!!!

This says a lot!

My daughter loved to cheer Loooooooooooouuuuu, i cringed when he let in a goal from center against Chicago that lost the teams confidence when Sundin was here, sunk when he did not have his tires pumped, but he was, overall, a great goalie.

Good Luck!

All year fans and media couldn t wait for Luongo to leave especially Sportsnet Nick Kypreos.

He has always hated Luongo always bashed him.

Why is evryone surprised..if the team of his choice does not come along..he can just as well retire all together.

Why would he stay in a city that keeps booing him and prefering Schneider (with many reasons)

He is a very classy guy and I respect him cause if money was the most important thing he would not be willing to move ..He could just as well decide to stay on the bench and still make his millions.

He is gone his condo in Yaletown is for sale.....

Money is not everything and he just proved him..even if it means retirement....

Sigh. Classy response by responding in sarcasm.

I get that you're incapable of giving respect to people in your holier-than-thou armchair - but can you stop watching hockey and not be a hockey fan anymore? You're embarassing Canadian hockey fans that are supposed to be more knowledgable than their American counterparts.

It is a business .. and nothing we say on this Forum effects any Canuck one iota .. if Luongo goes, then AV should be gone with him .. a fresh start is needed .. much of the "reason" for Lui being in the situation he finds himself falls at the feet of his Coach .. the beginning of the end was when Lui dictated to AV that he was staying in the net last year versus the Bruins.

Cory just needs a solid, veteran goalie to mentor him and back him up for 25-30 games next year .. the Lack comes up in 2013-14 ..

Put my name on that list.

You won't see me chasing Schneider out of town. I won't be afraid to criticize him if he starts to stink up the joint, though.'

There's a difference. To those of us who realize it's not a black and white world, that is.

You know, I predicted a few years ago that Vancouver would run out their goalies, much like how Cloutier was treated on this board.

Now you have a legitimate starter being questioned about his play.

Let's see..

Luongo is the franchise leader in most wins in a season, shutouts... Vezina Finalist... Team Canada Gold Medalist in Vancouver... Stanley Cup Final goalie that recorded two shutouts in the series against Boston.

For christ's sake, this goalie approached a psychologist who suggested that he think "happy thoughts".

Vancouver doesn't deserve to have nice things.

And although the riot had often little to do with Vancouverites, it represents a sense of entitlement shown by many Vancouverites. But of course, no city is immune to this. It's the side effect of having "passionate" fans.

This is so true. I go to Vancouver every so often to visit my Dad and I can't stand it. The whole city reeks of entitlement and there are stuck-up people with snotty attitudes everywhere. You can tell by looking in the stands at Rogers Arena and seeing a bunch of people in suits spending more time fiddling with their blackberries than watching the game.

This is so true. I go to Vancouver every so often to visit my Dad and I can't stand it. The whole city reeks of entitlement and there are stuck-up people with snotty attitudes everywhere. You can tell by looking in the stands at Rogers Arena and seeing a bunch of people in suits spending more time fiddling with their blackberries than watching the game.

This is pretty fair; imagine what it was like to be a Red Sox fan, it took 60 or 80 years to get over the curse of the Bambino!

I suppose everyone believes no guy wearing Red Sox jersey's ever cursed their players?

"Oh, your not a fan if you boo Lou, or your not an "educated" opinion if you don't believe Kassian is our saviour!

Look, Lou was fantastic for us, absolutely fantastic. Criticism that he did not hold up that end against Chicago 3 years ago are valid, he melted and loosing the teams confidence contributed to our collapse. Absolutely valid! He also stood on his head in game 7 against them last year (after looking like he would melt in game 5), got us play off births when we did not deserve us & provide long term brilliant goal tending. He did let his tires get deflated at a bad time, but the team was disintegrating with injuries before him. Loosing the last finals was not his fault. So Lou's overall legacy is simply that he did not put us on his back, ala Roy / Brodeur, when we did not completely deserve it. He was very good, but only occasionally the big game goalie when we needed it.

Considering he signed one of the two or three highest long term goalie contracts ever (highest paid player in the league last year at $10 mill, $6.7 mill this year even if cap hit is $5.3 or something), was it unfair of us to have big expectations?

You know, I predicted a few years ago that Vancouver would run out their goalies, much like how Cloutier was treated on this board.

Now you have a legitimate starter being questioned about his play.

Let's see..

Luongo is the franchise leader in most wins in a season, shutouts... Vezina Finalist... Team Canada Gold Medalist in Vancouver... Stanley Cup Final goalie that recorded two shutouts in the series against Boston.

For christ's sake, this goalie approached a psychologist who suggested that he think "happy thoughts".

Vancouver doesn't deserve to have nice things.

And although the riot had often little to do with Vancouverites, it represents a sense of entitlement shown by many Vancouverites. But of course, no city is immune to this. It's the side effect of having "passionate" fans.

You have obviously not experienced the easy going west coast lifestyle...

:bigblush:

Where are you from mate?

People aren't going to "turn" on Schneider unless he has multiple epic meltdowns in the playoffs. I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation for a supposedly elite goalie to not have multiple epic meltdowns in the playoffs.

Archived