Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Malone To The Canucks Is Not A Good Idea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I know everyone who is a fan of the Canucks wants malone because he is big and gritty but take in to account that you are trading olympic gold goltender luongo and I can tell u that malone's value comes no where near luongos i dont want to see the canucks pay malone his overpaid contract for the next 5 years either. To be honest the canucks have a good third line center in lapierre. They really need a second line winger and a d man. That is why i think if we will be sending lu to tampa i rather get victor hedman back from them who they probably wont give us, that is why it is wiser to send lu to toronto.

#2 Nicklasjensen46

Nicklasjensen46

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Malone contract is too much. And this whole get a bunch of B+ players is getting old. Lets get some real freaking talent. LOL
I just hope who ever goes that a good top 6 forward comes,dump some cap, and sign a legit top 2 dman.

My 2012 Canucks
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hodgson
Sturm Malhotra Hansen
Sammuelson Lapiere Oreskovich

Hamhuis Bieska
Edler Salo
Tanev Ballard
Luongo Schnieder

#3 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Malone's contract is even worse than Luongo's. He wouldn't even be a top 6 forward on this team.

No to Malone, but I seriously doubt Yzerman is dumb enough to give up Hedman for Luongo, unless he's either really high on Luongo, or really unsatisfied with Hedman.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#4 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Brett Connolly and something else though would be fine
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#5 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I don't see Ryan Malone's contract as being that bad.

He only has 3 years left on his at a cap hit of $4.5M per and his contract was front loaded which means in real dollar value the Canucks would only have to pay $8M over the next 3 years.

He is only 32, a year younger than Luongo. I would have no problem taking Malone for Luongo although I actually don't think TB would do it straight up because Luongo's contract is way worse.

Also, Malone is a winger not a center.

Edited by gradin123, 28 April 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

He only has 3 years left on his at a cap hit of $4.5M per and his contract was front loaded which means in real dollar value the Canucks would only have to pay $8M over the next 3 years.

He is only 32, a year younger than Luongo. I would have no problem taking Malone for Luongo although I actually don't think TB would do it straight up because Luongo's contract is way worse.

If we're getting another overpaid "top 6" forward, I would rather us go all out and just add another couple mil and take a run at Parise.

Posted Image

#7 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Malone has a no trade clause, and doubt he'd waive it to come to the Canucks let alone a Western Conference team. I heard back during the trade deadline that Malone would likely only wiave his NTC to go back to PIT.

#8 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

If we're getting another overpaid "top 6" forward, I would rather us go all out and just add another couple mil and take a run at Parise.

You have to consider the other side of trade. TB can't afford to take on Luongo's cap hit without dumping some of theirs. I really can't see anyone taking Luongo and not sending a significant contract back the other way.

Btw, it is very likely the cap will go up again this year so given that a $4.5M cap hit really isn't overpaying Malone. If he were a UFA this offseason he would get that.

Edited by gradin123, 28 April 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,789 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Not getting a deal done with Tampa doesn't automatically mean we should get one done with TO. Esp. when all of TO's players are massively overrated.

Say what you want about Malone's contract, but he's the real deal. The only question i'd have about him is injury-related and if he'll be as good up here in Vancouver. Is Malone American? He'd be an upgrade on Higgins for the Amex line if so.

Btw TO wants Malone too, but they don't have the assets to get him. TB wants to keep him. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#10 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Brett Connolly and something else though would be fine

I agree with that. I'd be satisfied with Connolly and a 1st for Luongo (preferably a 2012 1st rounder but would be ok with a 2013 1st).

I very highly doubt, Stevie Y would even consider trading Hedman for Luongo, his teams defense is a weak area that needs improvement, not subtraction.

Edited by VAN_FAN_MATT, 28 April 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#11 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Malone's contract is even worse than Luongo's. He wouldn't even be a top 6 forward on this team.

No to Malone, but I seriously doubt Yzerman is dumb enough to give up Hedman for Luongo, unless he's either really high on Luongo, or really unsatisfied with Hedman.

he does know how good luongo is, he picked him for team Canada, and hedman hasnt done as good as they'd hope, but we would have to give up something besides luongo to get hedman

#12 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

You have to consider the other side of trade. TB can't afford to take on Luongo's cap hit without dumping some of theirs. I really can't see anyone taking Luongo and not sending a significant contract back the other way.

Btw, it is very likely the cap will go up again this year so given that a $4.5M cap hit really isn't overpaying Malone. If he were a UFA this offseason he would get that.

I would rather deal with Toronto if it meant that we didn't have to take back cap space. They've got a ton of dough, and the cap space to fit him. Plus Burke is desperate to make the playoffs.

If the point of dumping Luongo is to free up cap space, then I would want us to actually be able to choose what we spend it on in free agency. If it comes down to it, I'm sure we could get Schenn off them, who could replace Salo or Ballard.

I really wouldn't want Malone. He would just equate to another patch job for our top 6.

Edited by DeNiro, 28 April 2012 - 04:33 PM.

Posted Image

#13 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

all we need is a bidding war over luongo and we are set. also need to finalize that schneider deal.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#14 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

If we could get Connolly and their first that would be sick, throw in say rights to Raymond as well (he would be useful for Tampa).

With the 5th overall pick draft Dumba or some other D man.

#15 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,789 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

TO is more likely to land Tim Thomas. They have a recent trading history for starters. And Burke still believes in Reimer/Monster. He needs a stop-gap. Not an infinite contract.

TB doesn't have a Reimer/Monster, but you'd think Yzerman would want to get a younger guy than Luongo. On the other hand, he's not opposed to getting older guys. Like Roloson.

TB is a lot closer to winning than TO. A lot of people think they'll be elite with some goaltending. Be it Schneider or Luongo. That will give them a decent window to win soon. Where TO will still lose a lot of games, Luongo or not. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#16 lappykass

lappykass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Trading Luongo and Trading Schnedier are completely two different things.

If the organization wanted a hefty return, trading Cory would give you that return.
Trading Luongo, is getting rid of a contract they don't want anymore.
Trading Luongo means we don't have that commitment to him anymore, its not all about what we get in return. Getting Malone would be completely stupid.

The absolute best way to Trade Luongo is to a team that has cap space and won't need to send us salary the other way, making draft picks a very good return for us IMO.

No matter what fate shall be laid upon us, every season, we will brush off our shoulders and bleed blue

canucks or bust.

#17 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,077 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

If we could get Connolly and their first that would be sick, throw in say rights to Raymond as well (he would be useful for Tampa).

Tampa has the 10th pick, so we could still take Dumba.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#18 nucklebucker

nucklebucker

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Not a top 6 forward? His PPG would make him the best scorer after the Sedins. How do you figure. His contract isn't amazing value but not bad at all.

What really scares me is Lecavalier.

#19 sport scout

sport scout

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

he has had many injuries and is getting up there in age. wouldnt mind malone, however i dont think hes in gillis's plans

#20 Guest_PUNJABI CANUCK_*

Guest_PUNJABI CANUCK_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

He's a Gillis type.

Logical for him to possibly become a Canuck.

#21 jimsandlak83

jimsandlak83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I would say No to just Malone, they would have to add the 10th pick but he would have to come back for salary exchange. He's only 31 and got 3 more years on his contract (rather than 10) so I would do it. He's been a playoff performer in the past (although last playoffs he didn't do quite well)....

#22 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

If we trade Luongo to Tampa and end up with Tampa's 1st round pick (10th overall) then the Canucks NEED to draft Griffin Reinhart. I would be very dang happy if they did. Cody Ceci would be awesome too, but I doubt he'd still be available by the 10th selection.

There are some very good D-men prospect throughout the 1st round this year. Here's a look at 1st round projected top ranked D-men.

ranked #2nd RYAN MURRAY - LD - 46-GP 9-G 22-A 31-PTS 0+/-
------------------(EVERETT WHL) 6'0" 195 shoots: L from: White City, SK

ranked #5th MORGAN RIELLY - D - 18-GP 3-G 15-A 18-PTS +6
-----------------(MOOSE JAW WHL) 5'11" 190 shoots: L from: Vancouver, BC

ranked #6th CODY CECI - D- 64-GP 17-G 43-A 60-PTS +21
-----------------(OTTAWA OHL) 6'2" 207 shoots: R from: Orleans, ON

ranked #8th OLLI MAATTA - D - 59-GP 5-G 27-A 32-PTS +26
-----------------(LONDON OHL) 6'1" 202 shoots: L from: Jyvaskyla, Finland

ranked #9th JACOB TROUBA - D - 22-GP 4-G 14-A 18-PTS +8
------------------(USA U-18 USHL) 6'2" 193 from: Rochester, MI

ranked 10th GRIFFIN REINHART - D - 58-GP 12-G 24-A 36-PTS +23
----------------(EDMONTON WHL) 6'3" 197 shoots: L from: West Vancouver, BC

ranked 11th MATHEW DUMBA - D - 69-GP 20-G 37-A 57-PTS -6
-----------------(RED DEER WHL) 5'11" 173 shoots: R from: Calgary, AB

ranked 12th DERRICK POULIOT - D - 72-GP 11-G 48-A 59-PTS +15
-----------------(PORTLAND WHL) 5'11" 190 shoots: L from: Weyburn, SK

ranked 16th MATTHEW FINN - D - 61-GP 10-G 38-A 48-PTS -13
-----------------(GUELPH OHL) 6'0" 192 shoots: L from: Toronto, ON

ranked19th BRADY SKJEI - D - 24-GP 3-G 9-A 12-PTS +5
----------------(USA U-18 USHL) 6'2" 200 from: Lakeville, MN

ranked 23rd SLATER KOEKKOEK - D - 26-GP 5-G 13-A 18-PTS -7
-----------------(PETERBOROUGH OHL) 6'2" 184 shoots: L from: Mountain, ON

ranked 26th DALTON THROWER - D - 66-GP 18-G 36-A 54-PTS -4
----------------(SASKATOON WHL) 6'0" 189 shoots: R from: North Vancouver, BC

ranked 30th MICHAEL MATHESON - D - 51-GP 10-G 14-A 24-PTS -1
-----------------(DUBUQUE USHL) 6'1" 178 D from: Pointe-Claire, PQ

Edited by VAN_FAN_MATT, 28 April 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#23 Day one

Day one

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

I know everyone who is a fan of the Canucks wants malone because he is big and gritty but take in to account that you are trading olympic gold goltender luongo and I can tell u that malone's value comes no where near luongos i dont want to see the canucks pay malone his overpaid contract for the next 5 years either. To be honest the canucks have a good third line center in lapierre. They really need a second line winger and a d man. That is why i think if we will be sending lu to tampa i rather get victor hedman back from them who they probably wont give us, that is why it is wiser to send lu to toronto.

HELLO! Running Lou out of town does not give you bargaining power. Get ready for the perverbial bag of pucks in return. Every team in the league knows the 'nucks are now between a rock and hard pace with Lou.Gee, thanks fans. Gee, thanks media. You're going to get what you wanted and nothing in return. Unless of course someone is smart enough to realize Lou no longer has any value in Vancouver and they stick us with a large salary dump.

#24 Drew1

Drew1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

I dont think Toronto will want thomas becuase he has like what 2 years left and he is not a good locker room guy plus on the TSN panel Bob Mckenzie and I think Darren Dreger both said he would end up in Toronto Luongo that is . And on the panel they said if we get rid of luo and someone like ballard or raymond we would have lots of cap space , plus the whole lockout thing might make it more.

#25 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

i'd have to say either

1. To Van:
-1st round pick

To Tampa:
-Luongo

2. To Van:
-Lupul

To: Toronto:
-Luongo

IMO i think number 2 is better because we need desperately need a playmaker for Kesler
but on the other hand i think we really need a hardcore dman who can step up and deliver hits and rack up the points,
which in my opinion is Matthew Dumba. ^_^

suggestions?

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDC FL - St. Louis Blues GM medium.jpg

medium.jpg CDC EHL - Columbus Blue Jackets GM medium.jpg

medium.jpg CDC SFHL - Tampa Bay Lightning GM medium.jpg

#26 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Trading Luongo and Trading Schnedier are completely two different things.

If the organization wanted a hefty return, trading Cory would give you that return.
Trading Luongo, is getting rid of a contract they don't want anymore.
Trading Luongo means we don't have that commitment to him anymore, its not all about what we get in return. Getting Malone would be completely stupid.

The absolute best way to Trade Luongo is to a team that has cap space and won't need to send us salary the other way, making draft picks a very good return for us IMO.

Agreed. Having Cory in goal as number one already improves the team by half a goal against per game in games where he replaces Luo. If our backup has similar numbers to Luo, but playing far fewer games - that would also be an improvement because of the fewer games played with a weaker goalie. The improvement in the cap is an enormous bonus enabling us to target a legit stud defenceman. If we get a high pick or picks for Luo, that would enable us to re-stock our horribly depleted stock of prospects - HF rates us as 29th out of 30 teams in that regard - we were higher than that even under no-nuts. That we did not provide a single player to any of the major teams at the World Junior Cup speaks to that impoverishment of prospects. MG has drained the cupboard dry with the possible exception of prospects in goal - none of our drafted skaters are excelling in the AHL.

Mancari and Haydar are the only scorers on the Wolves that are in the top 77 and neither is a legit Canuck prospect. Schroeder is 78th in scoring in the AHL. Of defensive prospects (Baumgartner is NOT a prospect) - only Connauton is in the top 120 defencemen scorers, at 23rd, and his defensive play is not strong. Our stock of junior prospects is weak by any standard -nor is there anyone of significance in Europe or in US colleges. MG is even worse that Nonis for trading our draft slots and prospects.

#27 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Also, Malone is a winger not a center.

Canucks could care less about the contract money they would need to pay, they have no problem with spending money, but they do care about spending cap space, and Malone is terrible for his salary.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#28 TheSteamer

TheSteamer

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Ryan Malone would be a slight upgrade on Taylor Pyatt. NO THANKS!
New season.

#29 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

I agree. Luongo definatley won't bring in hedman either....
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#30 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Ryan Malone would be a slight upgrade on Taylor Pyatt. NO THANKS!

As you can see, shooting percentage is much more highly correlated with goal scoring rate than fenwick rate is which would seem to indicate that being able to drive shooting percentage is more important for scoring goals than taking a lot of shots.

Here is a list of the top 20 and bottom 10 players in fenwick shooting percentage and fenwick rate.

http://hockeyanalysi...yer-evaluation/

Look who's #16 on that list and then look at the other names on that top-20.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.