Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Gary Roberts Calls Mike Gillis A 'moron' For Comments About Hodgson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
338 replies to this topic

#31 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

MG could of said it differently but something needed to be said so the fans and media would get off his back. I still support the trade obviously there were trust issues on both sides. MG could of been much more diplomatic but he got a little emotional.

The kassian comment about nacho eating in the press box was a low blow whomever said that, likely the writer of the article.

#32 gordfish

gordfish

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Just another example of how this organization mismanages its talent.

Go back to the day they drafted Hodgson. When Gillis was asked why they drafted a small centre that can't skate very well, his answer was to laud Cody's character.

So what changed?

On top of everything he went through with his back, look at last season from his perspective. The team gets into the playoffs, and they can't score. 15 goals in 7 games against Chicago. 14 goals in 6 games against the Preds. Then they get into the Final against the Bruins, Ryan Kesler is so banged he clearly shouldn't even be on the ice, and Cody is till being used as a fourth liner.

Then the next season begins. Kesler isn't in the lineup to start the year, and Cody is rarely being used on the second line, and when he is, it's as a second line winger.

Kesler comes back, struggles to produce, and Cody still isn't seeing an increase in his ice-time, despite the fact that he's on a 45 point pace with an average of about 13 minutes a game.

This is one of the reasons why good prospects cringe inside when the Canucks draft them. They simply don't know how develop and manage good young talent.

#33 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Atta boy Gary! I'm glad someone that knows the kid finally backed him up, Gillis will be eating a rotten egg sandwich in years to come when Hodgson is coming into form in Buffalo and Kassian plugs away on the third line.

It's funny how you're all about someone who knows the kid backing him up but not so much when a few other people who know him call him on his bull#&*^.

It's not really that far out an idea than a young guy made bad decisions...or allowed some bad decisions to be made for him.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#34 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'm on board with you about the AV comments but where does all this Hodgson's dad come in? I'm not being sarcastic here but I want to see the article everyone read to keep saying his dad mettled with the situation.

His dad was phoning Gillis and co. a lot. At least , that's what they say and I believe that.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 30 April 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#35 Beaken

Beaken

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

It's funny how you're all about someone who knows the kid backing him up but not so much when a few other people who know him call him on his bull#&*^.

It's not really that far out an idea than a young guy made bad decisions...or allowed some bad decisions to be made for him.

Who knows him and calls him on his bull****?

#36 Beaken

Beaken

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

His dad was phoning Gillis and co. nonstop.

OK but how do we know this, Gillis said it? AV said it?

#37 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Who knows him and calls him on his bull****?

Uh...are you being serious? What is this thread about?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Gillis shoud'nt have said it. That being said he did say "every OTHER player combined", which is true in legal terms, as half of the players had no issues.
What he should have said is "our doctors messed up his diagnosis, and he was smart to seek another doctor on the advice of Gary Roberts. We wish him all the best in his future.", and leave it at that.
Instead, he made Hodgson out to sound like either a mental case or a prima-donna, which is a low blow, and in the end only shows Gillis to be dishonest, and bordering on slanderous, not admitting any failures at all on the organization whatsoever.

#39 themonicator

themonicator

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

This doesn't change the fact that Hodgson wanted to leave the organization. Rip Gillis all you want but Cody did not want to be here. It was a sour relationship between his camp and the Canucks brass since the misdiagnosis of his injury.

Was Mike Gillis's comments regarding Cody necessary? No but I can bet people would still be whining about this trade.

I hope fans won't give Kassian a horrible treatment because he was the player they traded for. At the end of the day, the issues couldn't be reconciled between Canucks management and Cody's camp.
Posted Image

Our Prospects

#40 tiredatwork

tiredatwork

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Remember a few months ago we were having a conversation about how the whole Ballard trade was Grabner's fault. Didn't i say if we don't learn and do things better we will continue to lose good, young talent? Don't you see how this keeps happening yet it's never managements fault?

#41 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Heh, Hodgson and his daddy are the morons. Look at Cody's stats since he joined the Sabres. Could have had a long playoff run under his belt.

I'll never forget Bob MacKenzie's comment after the Canucks drafted Cody, his dad wanted him in the East.

Al right go suck in the east.

#42 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

I think it was absolutely necessary for him to make those comments. How many times was his decision questioned? After a while it's time to answer the questions which is what he did. The media asks him the questions over and over again. The fan base lambastes him over and over again for the trade. etc etc etc. He absolutely had to answer as to why he made the move he made so that he could be accountable. I don't think he needs to get in detail which he didn't.

It seems high road Hodgson found somebody to take the low road for him. At least he confirmed what Gillis said though when he said he went through a lot when he was here. Sounds like GIllis was right; he did have to deal with more stuff from CoHo than the rest of the team combined. High road? I think not.

It was a bad relationship from start to finish it seems.

A bad relationship since the injury that the Canucks misdiagnosed, since AV called out Hodgson when the injury was still not diagnosed properly.
This one is all on Canuck management.
This is PavelBure all over again.

#43 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Gillis shoud'nt have said it. That being said he did say "every OTHER player combined", which is true in legal terms, as half of the players had no issues.
What he should have said is "our doctors messed up his diagnosis, and he was smart to seek another doctor on the advice of Gary Roberts. We wish him all the best in his future.", and leave it at that.
Instead, he made Hodgson out to sound like either a mental case or a prima-donna, which is a low blow, and in the end only shows Gillis to be dishonest, and bordering on slanderous, not admitting any failures at all on the organization whatsoever.

Or maybe that's the truth.

Maybe CoHo was an angel and Gillis is the Devil.

Maybe where there is smoke there's fire also.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Remember a few months ago we were having a conversation about how the whole Ballard trade was Grabner's fault. Didn't i say if we don't learn and do things better we will continue to lose good, young talent? Don't you see how this keeps happening yet it's never managements fault?

Lol are you really using this as a comparison?

That's fine though don't believe Grabner; that's your thing but these two situations are not comparable.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

A bad relationship since the injury that the Canucks misdiagnosed, since AV called out Hodgson when the injury was still not diagnosed properly.

Actually it's on both.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,972 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

i was hoping kass would be able to train with roberts over the summer... but after gillis's comments and gary's outrage, i don't think he'll take on any more canucks. good thing tanev already got his foot in the door. sucks for the rest of our players though.

#47 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Just another example of how this organization mismanages its talent.

Go back to the day they drafted Hodgson. When Gillis was asked why they drafted a small centre that can't skate very well, his answer was to laud Cody's character.

So what changed?

On top of everything he went through with his back, look at last season from his perspective. The team gets into the playoffs, and they can't score. 15 goals in 7 games against Chicago. 14 goals in 6 games against the Preds. Then they get into the Final against the Bruins, Ryan Kesler is so banged he clearly shouldn't even be on the ice, and Cody is till being used as a fourth liner.

Then the next season begins. Kesler isn't in the lineup to start the year, and Cody is rarely being used on the second line, and when he is, it's as a second line winger.

Kesler comes back, struggles to produce, and Cody still isn't seeing an increase in his ice-time, despite the fact that he's on a 45 point pace with an average of about 13 minutes a game.

This is one of the reasons why good prospects cringe inside when the Canucks draft them. They simply don't know how develop and manage good young talent.

Yeah i'm sure you know all these prospects that the Canucks have drafted have cringed inside when being drafted by the Canucks.

I'm sure the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Hansen, Schneider and more have all regretted being drafted by the Canucks. Look at how bad these players are? Such bad development eh? Boy they are REALLY mismanaging these guys. Just horrible.

EDIT: Burrows and Tanev were not drafted, but my point is the same in that they have been developed by the Canucks org.

Edited by DirtyHarry, 30 April 2012 - 01:06 PM.

Posted Image

#48 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,885 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the post!

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#49 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

Mike Gillis.......the April 30/2012 CDC Whipping Boy...........

So when we're finished working our way through the team roster right down to the stick boys WBL (whipping boy list)......do we just start at the top and work our way down again or work from the bottom back up? <_<

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 30 April 2012 - 08:57 AM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#50 Beaken

Beaken

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

All I know is I can't wait until Gillis trades Luongo or Schneider and a couple months later he says how the guy was a winer and wanted all the ice time all for self glorification.

But of course who could blame Gillis for saying such things

#51 Beaken

Beaken

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yeah i'm sure you know all these prospects that the Canucks have drafted have cringed inside when being drafted by the Canucks.

I'm sure the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Schneider and more have all regretted being drafted by the Canucks. Look at how bad these players are? Such bad development eh? Boy they are REALLY mismanaging these guys. Just horrible.

Who was captain of the ship when those guys were coming up and got developed? sure wasn't MG

#52 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Um....actually that's on the coaching staff not management.
Posted Image

#53 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,774 posts

All I know is I can't wait until Gillis trades Luongo or Schneider and a couple months later he says how the guy was a winer and wanted all the ice time all for self glorification.

But of course who could blame Gillis for saying such things

I'll bet you $100 to the Canucks for kids charity this doesn't happen.

Care to surprise me and take me up on it? We can put it in the other persons user name. It'll be a hoot.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 30 April 2012 - 08:59 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

ad hominum

MG just won the PR situation on this one. so did Cody by saying he would take the high road. GR made himself look bad.

ad hominum means that if, during the course of a debate, one of the sides resorts to personal slander or attacks on character - ie. something that isn't the subject of the debate - they are in effect indicating that they don't have anything of substance to say. It is typically a last resort, low class, petty thing to do. GR certainly loses a lot of respect amongst people with brains ;)

#55 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Who was captain of the ship when those guys were coming up and got developed? sure wasn't MG

Over half those guys are still young and continuing to get better, therefor are still developing. Not to mention all the prospects we have in Chicago all getting better and better under Mike Gillis.

To say that management mishandles all young players because of one player that caused an uproar and got a bunch of media attention is just ignorant.
Posted Image

#56 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Agreed. Mike Gillis should have taken the high road.

People make it sound like he sold him down the river well I'm pretty sure there was a huge group of people that wanted answers and weren't going to stop asking so all he said was "we dealt with Cody more than any other player we found a player we could move him for so we did" he didn't rip into him he was just finally aswering the questions. Roberts is just an idiot trying to make more waves with the Canucks if Roberts had any class at all he would have respected what Hodgson said "I'm taking the high road" and just not said anything but instead he puts out comments in an article like this to tip the scale of the media towards CoHo and away from the canucks, this was a well calculated media move.

I'm personally worried that Kassian won't become the player CoHo was looking like he was going to but we won't know until years down the road and no matter the outcome we as fans can't change it so might as well just enjoy the journey.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#57 Cody9

Cody9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Good on Gary Roberts but BETTER on Cody for "Taking the High Road and NOT COMMENTING" which is what I said that MG should have done.

PLAYERS won't trust MG and I don't blame them. There was something on the forum yesterday about MG and AV being back and someone suggested does anyone think they wouldn't be back and my response was ME!

Then I suggested what MG should have said to the media about Cody: That what is said to Players behind closed doors stays there and Cody is not part of our team anymore so next question . . . That isn't exactly how I worded it yesterday but similar.

Mike Gillis will live to regret those words and I am sure of that. I was shocked at the trade but my respect for MG went out the door for those comments. Get Jim Nill here folks for our next GM. That is who our GM should have been in the first place - a guy with experience as an assistant GM.

#58 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

What are you talking about Canucks management is perfect? Just look to all the Stanley Cup wins as evidence of.... oh wait :sadno:
Posted Image

#59 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Gary is the moron, Cody asked for a trade, didn't dumbass Gsry know this? Keep your dumbass in the gym and off the internet Gary.

#60 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,434 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Good on Gary Roberts but BETTER on Cody for "Taking the High Road and NOT COMMENTING" which is what I said that MG should have done.

PLAYERS won't trust MG and I don't blame them. There was something on the forum yesterday about MG and AV being back and someone suggested does anyone think they wouldn't be back and my response was ME!

Then I suggested what MG should have said to the media about Cody: That what is said to Players behind closed doors stays there and Cody is not part of our team anymore so next question . . . That isn't exactly how I worded it yesterday but similar.

Mike Gillis will live to regret those words and I am sure of that. I was shocked at the trade but my respect for MG went out the door for those comments. Get Jim Nill here folks for our next GM. That is who our GM should have been in the first place - a guy with experience as an assistant GM.

MG already shot himself in the foot this season with the Sturm issue. Signing a FA and then trading him, wow thats what people do in the EA NHL games. Who wants to sign here as a FA thinking they may just end up being traded after.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.