The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian

Happy Gilmore

Got my Kassian t-shirt already, know he's gonna become a 25-30+ goal power forward, he was a monster in Junior, still love this trade, Hodgson didnt wanna be here and wouldnt move up ahead of Kesler and Henrik. This guy will be our captain one day, guaranteed

You say we need to be patient. I say as fans we've all been patient enough. If this guy isn't going to help us win a cup NEXT YEAR, then we shouldn't have traded for him. The core of our teams window is closing as we speak.

No I wasn't and you sound dumb for making these assumptions and mocking me just because I don't believe that Kassian will be anything more than a 3rd liner. Yes, I know 21 is young and that is why I still thought Cody was going to be better but I just don't see anything spectacular with Kassian.

I guess you know more than MG and the rest of management. Hasn't accomplished anything special yet??? He's 21, very few if any power forwards rip it up in year one. Lucic only had 8 goals and 27 points his first year, is he a bust?

So yes, like the other poster said, you are a moron.

No I don't, it's just my opinion. When did I say he hasn't accomplished anything special??? But whatever, this is just speculation, we won't know how he turns out for awhile anyways and it could go either way but I do think he will only be a 3rd liner and nothing more. If that makes me a moron then that's fine.

People need to chill out about rushing our prospects. Pretty much the same scenario with all these haters saying that Hodgson could bust when he was under development and now the same people that bashed Hodgson is doing the samething to Kassian.

The types of fans that under appreciate what the team does in general makes me wonder why do I watch hockey with these people.

Jensen will. Shroeder will when he fills out (small players don't blossom until later (Briere, Savard, St. Louis all took a while). Tanev looks good, Connaughton shows promise, Lack looks good, Rodin is very highly skille with lots of potential, Sauve is turning into a big physical dman, Corrado was a finalist for top D in the OHL, and Cannata was arguably the best best collegiate goalie. And this is all in 4 years of drafting for MG.

Year after year people complain about how we need a big, tough, skilled powerforward. It's as though they think this type of player just sits around at home waiting for an NHL team to call em up. Hundreds of these poor fellows out of work, struggling to get by, because no NHL team has yet offered them a contract....

The reality is these players are incredibly rare. When they hit their stride, they are some of the most valuable assets in the league. You don't acquire a skilled, large powerforward when they are already good1, because no GM is dumb enough to give them up, as they are much too hard to replace. You have to get them early, help them develop, and hope they flourish.

Now, fickle fan-base that this is, we finally have a player with all the attributes of a potential superstar powerforward: speed, hands, size, physicality, vision, passing, and a bit of a mean streak. So what does everybody do? Pisses and moans about how he isn't already good1.

1I felt it necessary to add this for emphasis, I was worried too many people would miss the connection (ie: he's not already good, too hard to get powerforwards when they are good. Hope this is clear enough for all y'all fans who think you understand hockey, and don't really get it)

You say we need to be patient. I say as fans we've all been patient enough. If this guy isn't going to help us win a cup NEXT YEAR, then we shouldn't have traded for him. The core of our teams window is closing as we speak.

Are assh*les not important? could we live without them? Just because everyone has an opinion doesn't mean it is irrelevant to the conversation. Plus, what have you said, other than I'm a moron, that backs up the fact that Kassian will be better than I think?

I've seen a lot of ragging on Zack Kassian on this forum which is unwarranted. Dealing Hodgson may seem questionable right now, and the two will be compared for the rest of their careers, but there are many reasons Mike Gillis pulled the trigger on this deal.

First off, Kassian is only 21 years old with little experience in the American Hockey League. Hodgson spent most of the 2010-2011 season in the American Hockey League at the age of 20 and 21, and when he did play for the Canucks, he was not great. Next year I feel that Kassian needs to spend some time in the AHL getting 1st or 2nd line minutes to aid his development, and when he does come up to the NHL, he has the potential to be an impact player as soon as next season. Fans just need to be patient, as power forwards can take a few years to develop.

Fans have been demanding a power forward since the departure of Todd Bertuzzi, and Gillis delivered by trading for one of the best young power forward prospects in hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Hodgson a lot as a Canuck and believe that he will be a great player, but I think that Kassian can also be a fantastic player for years to come.

Archived