The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian

Happy Gilmore

Still cannot come up with facts to support your opinion eh???

Here's some fact for yeah that should show you he has some promise:

-Memorial Cup

-World Juniors

-OHL All Star

-considered by most scouts as the most feared fighter and hitter in his draft year.

-led his junior team in penalty minutes (and those wernt minor penalties he was taking)

-fought NHL enforcers as a 20 year old.

All this before his 20th birthday. Not many power forward have accomplished this much so young.

You say we need to be patient. I say as fans we've all been patient enough. If this guy isn't going to help us win a cup NEXT YEAR, then we shouldn't have traded for him. The core of our teams window is closing as we speak.

the main issue fans had was the stats of the players. Obviously Hodgson is the better player now, but in the future Kassian could be a great power forward to us and hopefully a key player for a long (and winning) stanley cup run in a few years (or next year ;))

Most of your facts are not from his time in the nhl and the only reason I believe he's going to be a 3rd liner is from what I've seen from him in the nhl. However, you are right in that he has all the makings of a great power forward, I personally don't think he'll get there. Just curious, what do you think he'll become in the next couple years?

I fully intend to go into next season with an open mind about Kassian, but as it stands right now I've seen nothing that shows me he will be anything more than a marginal player on this team. My expectation is that if he makes the roster next season that his performance will merely prove my current opinion of him. I wouldn't mind seeing him prove me wrong but my impression is that he won't at least not on this team.

You say we need to be patient. I say as fans we've all been patient enough. If this guy isn't going to help us win a cup NEXT YEAR, then we shouldn't have traded for him. The core of our teams window is closing as we speak.

I fully intend to go into next season with an open mind about Kassian, but as it stands right now I've seen nothing that shows me he will be anything more than a marginal player on this team. My expectation is that if he makes the roster next season that his performance will merely prove my current opinion of him. I wouldn't mind seeing him prove me wrong but my impression is that he won't at least not on this team.

Got my Kassian t-shirt already, know he's gonna become a 25-30+ goal power forward, he was a monster in Junior, still love this trade, Hodgson didnt wanna be here and wouldnt move up ahead of Kesler and Henrik. This guy will be our captain one day, guaranteed

No

this organizations mentality towards winning a cup should be forever. that means when we make moves we arent just thinking of the here and now but the future of this franchise. If Zack is better for our OVERALLsituation then i say pull the trigger. there is always a risk when trading for young players like zack....the risk that they wont pan out but you try to do your research and minimize your risks.

whats really bothering us all about zack is the unknown and the lack of patients it takes to see how he will turn out

A monster in junior? In his best OHL season, Kassian scored 26 goals, to go with 51 assists. These are good numbers in an injury-shorted campaign. However, they are not the sort of numbers that suggest that he will put up 25-30 goals in the NHL. Someone who gets that many goals in an NHL season was usually (not always, I admit) scoring many more than that in the juniors.

As for the captain prediction: I used to hear that about Hodgson. I would have to say that it is about as likely as the Hodgson prediction, at least at this point.

Here is the bottom line: for better or worse, Hodgson is gone and Kassian is here. He probably won't help the team in the short run but we can all hope that (probably with the aid of some seasoning in the AHL) he will turn out to be a good third, maybe second, line player. Hodgson is probably going to peak as a second line player (or a first line player on a poor team) so there might not be much difference in the end. I do, however, agree with those posters who question the timing of the trade. It did not help team chemistry going into the playoffs. Maybe the Canucks will win it all before the current window closes, but they need to be trying to win every year and I feel that they did not give themselves their best chance this year.

My expectation is that when a team is expected to be a top contender for the cup that their roster is made up of capable players who can give us the opportunity to win. Kassian was not even close to being NHL ready last season. He was a waste of a roster spot, nobody can make me believe otherwise. The fact is that the kid wasn't that good in the regular season and was even less impressive in the playoffs (to the point where he was benched repeatedly before finally being scratched in game 5). If Kassian doesn't make the cut he should be in the minors until he is capable of playing at an NHL level. It was pretty clear early on that he wasn't ready to play in the NHL and yet he was given ample opportunity to prove himself and fell flat every time.

When its obvious what changes need to be made and they aren't made it is beyond frustrating. Kassian wasn't sent down because doing so would make the organization look bad for trading an upcoming star for a barely capable player who isn't ready to play in the NHL. He wasn't the only problem with our roster this year but he was drain on any line he played on in the same way Raymond is often argued to be. That's not to say this won't change next season, but I highly doubt he will pan out. If a player is habitually underperforming and there are any number of players that can play his role better he does, the player needs to be dealt. I'll give Kassian the benefit of the doubt and see how he performs next season but I have a feeling that I'm not wrong.

The kid should be playing for the Wolves, the Canucks have better players in their system than Kassian that should be given the chance.

Re Kassian; 3. "character/team-player"

- character player? are you kidding me? Should we forget all the suspensions? the run in with the law? the fact he's the dimmest watt bulb out there? that he's never been a captain? never been a leader? Is that what you call a character player?

heres the statline of one of the best powerfowards in the league on one of the best teams in the league. gp82 24g 30A 54PT

+15

doesnt look like first line player stats but that statline belongs to david backes.

People need to lower their expectations of zack. He probably isnt going to score more than 40-50points but if he plays a hard physical game and creates space for his linemates than he will earn his keep and have canucks fans cheering him for years to come.

Powerforwards value are not always in stats but the entangibles that they bring to a team and the many ways they can impact a game. Really its the difference between Hodgson and kassian, hodgson can really only impact the game by scoring. kassian can score, fight, throw a big hit, take the puck hard to the net, wear down the opposition. Who is the more impactful player? its totally different so its hard to compare.

- character player? are you kidding me? Should we forget all the suspensions? the run in with the law? the fact he's the dimmest watt bulb out there? that he's never been a captain? never been a leader? Is that what you call a character player?

<p><p>

I will wait for pre-season before calling him a saviour or bust. But I think MG will want him in the line up cuz he wants to show that he made the right trade.

His limited minutes didn't really impress me much and is miscast as a 4th liner. I hope he gets 15-18 mins a game to show what he's got. The potential is there but he needs to get there and be consistent. Probably too much to ask for a 21/22yr old. If he can't make it as a 2nd liner...then I think it's best for him to spend next year in the AHL and get used to Canucks system.

Archived