Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

Zack Kassian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
127 replies to this topic

#31 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

But how many will actually make the NHL ? Right now i see Jensen but no other forwards stand out.

Jensen will. Shroeder will when he fills out (small players don't blossom until later (Briere, Savard, St. Louis all took a while). Tanev looks good, Connaughton shows promise, Lack looks good, Rodin is very highly skille with lots of potential, Sauve is turning into a big physical dman, Corrado was a finalist for top D in the OHL, and Cannata was arguably the best best collegiate goalie. And this is all in 4 years of drafting for MG.

Edited by sampy, 03 May 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#32 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

No I don't, it's just my opinion. When did I say he hasn't accomplished anything special??? But whatever, this is just speculation, we won't know how he turns out for awhile anyways and it could go either way but I do think he will only be a 3rd liner and nothing more. If that makes me a moron then that's fine.

What gives you the moron title is that you label a players potential with nothing to back it up but IMO. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

#33 Honeydew

Honeydew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

People need to chill out about rushing our prospects. Pretty much the same scenario with all these haters saying that Hodgson could bust when he was under development and now the same people that bashed Hodgson is doing the samething to Kassian.

The types of fans that under appreciate what the team does in general makes me wonder why do I watch hockey with these people.
Posted Image

#34 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Darren Archibald > Zack Kassian

Archibald is the future.

Sig too big. 

#35 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Jensen will. Shroeder will when he fills out (small players don't blossom until later (Briere, Savard, St. Louis all took a while). Tanev looks good, Connaughton shows promise, Lack looks good, Rodin is very highly skille with lots of potential, Sauve is turning into a big physical dman, Corrado was a finalist for top D in the OHL, and Cannata was arguably the best best collegiate goalie. And this is all in 4 years of drafting for MG.

I forgot about Connaughton, i think he will be there and i sure hope for Shroeder too. I think Lack will too but not sold on Sauve yet.

#36 Vaeneir

Vaeneir

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Year after year people complain about how we need a big, tough, skilled powerforward. It's as though they think this type of player just sits around at home waiting for an NHL team to call em up. Hundreds of these poor fellows out of work, struggling to get by, because no NHL team has yet offered them a contract....

The reality is these players are incredibly rare. When they hit their stride, they are some of the most valuable assets in the league. You don't acquire a skilled, large powerforward when they are already good1, because no GM is dumb enough to give them up, as they are much too hard to replace. You have to get them early, help them develop, and hope they flourish.

Now, fickle fan-base that this is, we finally have a player with all the attributes of a potential superstar powerforward: speed, hands, size, physicality, vision, passing, and a bit of a mean streak. So what does everybody do? Pisses and moans about how he isn't already good1.

1I felt it necessary to add this for emphasis, I was worried too many people would miss the connection (ie: he's not already good, too hard to get powerforwards when they are good. Hope this is clear enough for all y'all fans who think you understand hockey, and don't really get it)

#37 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

What gives you the moron title is that you label a players potential with nothing to back it up but IMO. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Are assh*les not important? could we live without them? Just because everyone has an opinion doesn't mean it is irrelevant to the conversation. Plus, what have you said, other than I'm a moron, that backs up the fact that Kassian will be better than I think?

#38 Mcfly

Mcfly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

You say we need to be patient. I say as fans we've all been patient enough. If this guy isn't going to help us win a cup NEXT YEAR, then we shouldn't have traded for him. The core of our teams window is closing as we speak.

It's this very sense of entitlement which makes me dislike the core of our fan base.
"Short sighted and impatient" is how I'd describe most Canucks fans, sad to say.

Aside from this post in particular, the way some people talk about this team, you'd swear they were talking about Columbus or Toronto. You'd never guess it was about a team that is arguably the best Canucks team we've ever seen.

Just my thoughts.

Dank2013_zps1833a257.jpg

#39 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Are assh*les not important? could we live without them? Just because everyone has an opinion doesn't mean it is irrelevant to the conversation. Plus, what have you said, other than I'm a moron, that backs up the fact that Kassian will be better than I think?

Still cannot come up with facts to support your opinion eh???
Here's some fact for yeah that should show you he has some promise:
-Memorial Cup
-World Juniors
-OHL All Star
-considered by most scouts as the most feared fighter and hitter in his draft year.
-led his junior team in penalty minutes (and those wernt minor penalties he was taking)
-fought NHL enforcers as a 20 year old.
All this before his 20th birthday. Not many power forward have accomplished this much so young.

#40 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

I've seen a lot of ragging on Zack Kassian on this forum which is unwarranted. Dealing Hodgson may seem questionable right now, and the two will be compared for the rest of their careers, but there are many reasons Mike Gillis pulled the trigger on this deal.

First off, Kassian is only 21 years old with little experience in the American Hockey League. Hodgson spent most of the 2010-2011 season in the American Hockey League at the age of 20 and 21, and when he did play for the Canucks, he was not great. Next year I feel that Kassian needs to spend some time in the AHL getting 1st or 2nd line minutes to aid his development, and when he does come up to the NHL, he has the potential to be an impact player as soon as next season. Fans just need to be patient, as power forwards can take a few years to develop.

Fans have been demanding a power forward since the departure of Todd Bertuzzi, and Gillis delivered by trading for one of the best young power forward prospects in hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Hodgson a lot as a Canuck and believe that he will be a great player, but I think that Kassian can also be a fantastic player for years to come.

Its not an issue with Kassian but it was the wrong time to make the deal, Hodgson was producing was more NHL ready and we removed that for a guy who is at best a yr or 2 away .
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#41 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

Its not an issue with Kassian but it was the wrong time to make the deal, Hodgson was producing was more NHL ready and we removed that for a guy who is at best a yr or 2 away .

Like Gillis said in his post season interview, developed power forwards dont ever become available. In 2 years Kassian would not be available. Cody wasn't going to play in the playoffs under AV regardless and he was put in offensive situation to inflate his stats. His last 25 games with the Nucks he wasn't producing very much at all.

Edited by sampy, 03 May 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#42 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Guy must play to much NHL 12.

Posted Image

#43 Spencer Drew

Spencer Drew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Everyone who hates this trade, you don't know EVERYTHING about it. Kassian will play with the Sedins. I honestly saw Gillis in downtown Vancouver at the Canucks store, and I asked him personally, "are you grooming Kassian to play with the Sedins?" and Gillis said "we hope Kassian turns into the top power forward we know he can be, in due time we hope to see him play on the top two lines, one of those lines being with the Sedins, I believe him to be the complementary piece to play with two of the top finesse players in the world, and we will put Kassian on the top line eventually for a few games, we tried it out last season, and we will see how it goes instead of him having a few shifts, but have a few games." - I am excited for this, Kassian with the Sedins is beautiful. Power forward with two finesse players, protecting them, damn thats scary.

GO CANUCKS GO!
Posted Image

#44 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Can not wait for the next couple of seasons so people can finally stop using these excuses.

look at Hodgson's last two seasons you poon, how is this an excuse.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#45 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

IMO he's not good enough and will never reach his potential. He couldn't make it on a struggling buffalo team yet Gillis expected him to help the Canucks in the playoffs? Yes, he needs experience and time to develop but I do not think he'll ever be more than 3rd/4th line plug in the NHL. I hope I'm wrong but I truly doubt it.

Hodgson only did great when the rest of the team was doing great, the second everyone slumped he slumped. Hence his 33gp pointless streak before he was traded. When he was traded 20gp 8pts -7 on a struggling buffalo team so dosent look like he was making an impact on there team as well. Dont give me that oh he has to get used to the system excuse, so does kassian and he is younger.

Edited by CrippledCanuck, 03 May 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#46 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Junko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

I hope you understand we will get the same fans all over again, it's like looking at Hodgson 1-2 years back and everyone calling him a failure and that he will be a bust. Now that Hodgson is gone, Kassian has taken that place and will until he proves otherwise,

vHQVRbS.gif

St. Louis Blues STHS GM small.png

Colorado Avalanche EHL GM small.png

#47 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

should have grabbed that Foligno kid instead..or a Big Dman to help us get by LA..or waited and maybe showcased Hodgson in the playoffs and got more for him..bad timing of a trade.

#48 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

You say we need to be patient. I say as fans we've all been patient enough. If this guy isn't going to help us win a cup NEXT YEAR, then we shouldn't have traded for him. The core of our teams window is closing as we speak.

LOL Newsflash Hodgson was so soft MG pulled the trigger on pahlsson even before he traded him. He was going to be benched in the playoffs. Second he should be given a couple more years to develop and if impatient fans like you don't like it follow the oilers.

#49 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

should have grabbed that Foligno kid instead..or a Big Dman to help us get by LA..or waited and maybe showcased Hodgson in the playoffs and got more for him..bad timing of a trade.

kesler couldn't do anything in the la series. We weren't winning the cup this year regardless. Bieksa was also just a shadow and do was edler. One player wouldnt change anything.

#50 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Still cannot come up with facts to support your opinion eh???
Here's some fact for yeah that should show you he has some promise:
-Memorial Cup
-World Juniors
-OHL All Star
-considered by most scouts as the most feared fighter and hitter in his draft year.
-led his junior team in penalty minutes (and those wernt minor penalties he was taking)
-fought NHL enforcers as a 20 year old.
All this before his 20th birthday. Not many power forward have accomplished this much so young.

Most of your facts are not from his time in the nhl and the only reason I believe he's going to be a 3rd liner is from what I've seen from him in the nhl. However, you are right in that he has all the makings of a great power forward, I personally don't think he'll get there. Just curious, what do you think he'll become in the next couple years?

#51 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

We need to start calling him Zack "MF" Kassian. This kids gonna be a bad ass power forward, one that we haven't had since todd bertuzzi, remember those WCE days, we might not have made deep runs into the playoffs, but we were a team not to be F&*(&^d with. I look at that team with such fondness, remember CLOUTIER getting involved in scrums.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#52 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

Kassian advantages relative to Hodgson

1 - speed
2 - size (even as a 21 yr old, the difference in the play of Lapierre was notable - team-mates play bigger with him in lineup)
3- character/team-player
4- fits a more vital/needed role
5- will not need to be sheltered defensively - responsible and effective two-way player at a young age
6- can play up and down the lineup effectively
7- has an extra year on his RFA contract at just over half what Hodgson was making
8- does not have an annoying agent who creates ridiculous ice-time controversies and will demand a Stamkosesque contract
9- is not the most over-rated young player in Canucks history and has not already been projected the next captaincy.

Hodgson's advantages
1- scored a nice goal in Boston

Hodgson was a character guy who scored big goals,has good on ice vision and passing skills.. He has excelled on the international stage and has been a leader in those situations. Hodgson will be an impact player in the NHL someday and hopefully Kassian will be too.
Both of these players have good attributes so there is no need to bash Hodgson just to build your case because they are really apples and oranges.
If Hodgson wanted out because his Dad and his agent coerced him into thinking that was the best for him...good on him...I hope it works out for him. We don't want players on the Canucks that are not happy here.
Kassian is a Canuck now and hopefully he will be developed into a regular contributor. That is what we should be focusing on.

Edited by bluesman60, 04 May 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#53 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Kassian is simply something this team doesnt have toughness and grit.
If his Potential pans out great if not then he better play with that toughness and grit.
Really the move made sence vancouver doesnt need another Raymond or Sedin we need a player like Backes or Big Bert #44 <3

#54 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Kassian is going to beast it up soon
Posted Image

#55 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

He didn't really get to showcase his tough side in the playoffs because he barely played. Zack Kassian should start in the AHL next year, and I will no problem with that. He was actually one of their best fowards for the SAbres farm team while he was there. Lets just hope he developes into a top 6 player.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#56 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

No I wasn't and you sound dumb for making these assumptions and mocking me just because I don't believe that Kassian will be anything more than a 3rd liner. Yes, I know 21 is young and that is why I still thought Cody was going to be better but I just don't see anything spectacular with Kassian.

What assumptions, if you don't what to be mocked then post with more insight; why do you think he will not be anything more than a 3rd liner? what do you see in his limited time in Van that leads you to believe your assumption; his skating, his passing, his postitioning on the ice ect. Give some insight that you know how to evaluate a player! Because I have seen small samples of spectacular from Kassian, sorry if you were unable to see the same, but he does have a lot of upside and a lot to learn.

Kassian will be a player who really will not have a tag on him as a first, second, third or fourth line player. he will be a player who can play any where in the line up. When he is playing good he will be on the first line. When he is ok he will get shifts with the second line and third. When he goes into a slump he will get third and fourth line shifts. Once he has reached the top of his game he will be considered a second line player who can play on the first line and bottom six.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 04 May 2012 - 12:58 AM.

#57 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

He didn't really get to showcase his tough side in the playoffs because he barely played. Zack Kassian should start in the AHL next year, and I will no problem with that. He was actually one of their best fowards for the SAbres farm team while he was there. Lets just hope he developes into a top 6 player.

Kassian doesn't need AHL experience he was done what he can in the AHL. He just needs to go through the growing pains of making mistake in the NHL to get the experience he needs to succeed. He needs ice time in the NHL not AHL , I think he will get third line minutes next year with some time on the PP and PK. If he shows he is learning he will get some second line minutes. If he is doing everything right then the first line.
The AHL can only do so much for a player and in most cases players need to develope physically before being called up, Kassain does not have that problem.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 04 May 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#58 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

But how many will actually make the NHL ? Right now i see Jensen but no other forwards stand out.

Jensen, Shroeder, and Kassian.

Then on defense we got Tanev, Connauton, and Gragnani(youth-ish).

Then in net we have Lack, Illhati, and Honzik.

Then of course there's this years draft to look forward too as well.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#59 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

What assumptions, if you don't what to be mocked then post with more insight; why do you think he will not be anything more than a 3rd liner? what do you see in his limited time in Van that leads you to believe your assumption; his skating, his passing, his postitioning on the ice ect. Give some insight that you know how to evaluate a player! Because I have seen small samples of spectacular from Kassian, sorry if you were unable to see the same, but he does have a lot of upside and a lot to learn.

Kassian will be a player who really will not have a tag on him as a first, second, third or fourth line player. he will be a player who can play any where in the line up. When he is playing good he will be on the first line. When he is ok he will get shifts with the second line and third. When he goes into a slump he will get third and fourth line shifts. Once he has reached the top of his game he will be considered a second line player who can play on the first line and bottom six.

He assumed that I was one of the people who were calling hodgson a bust. This is a forum where people can share their thoughts and opinions, why do I have to know how to evaluate a player? I'm a fan not a scout.

Anyways, I've watched a lot of buffalo games this past season as I had pominville and ehrhoff in my hockey pool. Kassian got called up around november(maybe early december I can't remember) and looked pretty decent. He was throwing his weight around and was hard to knock off the puck. After about 5 games or so he kind of vanished. He started getting more ice-time but wasn't really doing anything with it. No driving to net hard or anything, just playing a passive game. He even got time on the second line, with all the teams injuries that were taking place, and just couldn't do anything with it. As the season went on his minutes went down again and then the trade deadline came and he came to vancouver. Other than maybe 2 games, he was average or virtually non-existent.

Now the thing that bugs me about him is that if he was truly what everyone on here thinks he is why did buffalo trade him? A great future power forward is much harder to find than a playmaking center. Buffalo had tyler ennis who could have fit in the 2nd line center spot.

I realize that he is young and might just need time to get used to the NHL. I have to admit he looked really good in the beginning of the season. However, sometimes you just have this gut feeling about a person and that tells me he is going to be 3rd liner. That is why, to me, it is so annoying rreading these posts about how he needs a few more years to be the next bertuzzi as my gut tells me it's not going to happen. This is why I can't wait till a few years go by and people can move on as to me they are just wasting their time thinking he is more than he is.

I can't stress enough how much I hope I am wrong, I do not want him to fail I just see him failing(even though playing on the 3rd line isnt realing failing).

#60 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:41 AM

I will gladly eat my words but I just don't think he is or ever will be as good as people think.

I used to think Hodgson was a bust until he proved me wrong. Took some time though. Wouldn't it be fair to expect the same from Kassian?

0au3Jj.gif

tumblr_m7c45pUD8p1rpqn0wo1_250.gif

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.