The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Shea Weber And Why He Is Ours

when people say that the deal that you proposed is "overpayment" they dont understand what the impact a player like weber can have on a hockey team especially on a team like the canucks

if you add a norris trophy defenseman to a team with players who have won the art ross trophys, hart trophys, a selke and a goalie who could very well be a vezina candidate some day...wheres the weakness?

when people say that the deal that you proposed is "overpayment" they dont understand what the impact a player like weber can have on a hockey team especially on a team like the canucks

if you add a norris trophy defenseman to a team with players who have won the art ross trophys, hart trophys, a selke and a goalie who could very well be a vezina candidate some day...wheres the weakness?

people haft to remember that we can always replenish the assets we lost with over moves, its not like its a one and done...

i am willing to bet anyone everything i own and everything that i will earn in my life time that once weber puts on a canucks jersey you will see weber jerseys everywhere, t-shirts with his name on the back on every block, praise about how good he is on team 1040 every day and constant and i mean constant debating and campaigning that he should be captain....i know i will :lol:

im trying so hard not to get ahead of myself with this whole thing because ive had similiar fantasies about other players and when it didnt pan out...my world imploded :unsure: ....ughh

We wouldn't need to sign Jones then, and we could move our extra pieces for something else that would help us more. Connelly's actually a center, but can play wing. Kassian and Burrows (and Jensen) are wingers that would fit nicely with him in our top 6 along with The Sedins, Kesler and Booth as those players develop.

If we can't afford Edler considering what we'd be paying Weber with a subsequent deal after the offer sheet deal ends, we could look to move Ballard's contract to make room. Then we could use our depth (Tanev, Gragnani, Connauton, Sauve, etc) to handle the remaining minutes without incurring a big cap hit on our 3rd pairing.

All of that and we haven't had to give up promising prospects and players to get it, only draft picks and a goalie that needs to be moved. Not to mention we come out of it with a 10th overall pick in the process.

Edler is payed 1 million less than Ballard, and rookies would make up the 3rdl ine to ease the salary cap. Trading Ballard over Edler is pointless, he doesn't have the prospect appeal for the trade to work. And our Cap is fine with Lu gone.

Depth immediately leaps to mind, if we can't trust our bottom 6 forwards and our 3rd pairing (and possibly our backup on top of that) then it could lead to other problems if anything happens to our players who would have to log 20-30 minute nights to compensate.

If it was that easy to recover from a major move gone wrong, it would happen all the time since the risk would be so low. If you consider how some people view Gillis after the Ballard deal (where we gave away much less) it doesn't seem like something you'd just jump at.

That's a pretty safe bet. Why wouldn't people like to have him here? But then why would people like to give up a lot of assets when he could be signed the following year as a UFA, or had for less with an offer sheet.

noone on here knows if thats an "overpayment" because they just dont. im scared that could very well be the price.....

top d-men in the league:

1)lidstrom

2)chara

3)weber

4)keith

5)suter

6)seabrook

when lidstom retires everyone will move spot (i would definitely have pronger in the top 5 but with his future in limbo, i didnt add him to the list)

top defensemen almost never get traded...only chara on that list has been traded and that was before he established himself as a norris trophy candidate year in and year out

i have him number 1 in offensive defensemen but until he can dominate in more then just one area i dont have him in the top 5...in the top 10 for sure

1) lidstrom

2) chara

3) weber

4) keith

5) suter

6) seabrook

7) karlsson (when lidstrom retires then i would put karlsson in the top 6 by default)

8) boyle

9) girardi

10) kronwall

11) seidenberg

This is a terrible list. LOL at Seidenberg, Krownwall, Girardi and Seabrook in the top 10. Karlsson should be in the top 5, and Lidstrom is not that good anymore. Pietrangelo is also in the top 5. Seidenberg ahead of Pietrangelo is hillarious. More of a realistic list would be

1.Weber

2.Chara

3.Karlsson

4.Pietrangelo

5.Lidstrom

6.Suter

7.Letang

8.Keith

9.Boyle

10.Doughty

11.Edler/Yandle

I said it once and I'll say it again. MG is not gonna give up the farm for this guy. He may make a fair offer, if he makes a pitch at all. But he won't overpay. Instead I could see MG giving a couple of our prospects a shot next season. Isn't that why there's a draft?

At best I could see:

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

Clarke MacArthur

Toronto's 1st rnd pick 2012

Then:

To Nashville:

David Booth

Toronto's 1st rnd pick 2012

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

I might add a second rnd pick to the Toronto deal to sweeten the pot but no more.

If the Weber deal doesn't happen MGs not sweatin. He picked up a solid pick and has another dealable chip in Booth plus a fairly good winger to put with Kesler. Booth and Kesler never really had any chemistry. Both are snipers and weren't much interested in passing to one another.

I could see at least one (possibly two) rookies in the line up next season. Nicholas Jensen is being groomed for top 6 duties and I think he and Kesler could be magical together. Jensen is one of those players that knows when to pass and when to shoot. I can see him being the key piece to the second line.

Kevin Connauton is another kid I see getting a shot soon. He's a great skater with offensive potential. One more season with the Wolves to solidify his defensive game and I can see him earning a spot in 2013.

2012 Roster (with a signing or two)

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

MacArthur - Kesler - Jensen

Higgins - LaPierre - Hansen

Weise - Gaustad - Kassian

Malhotra/Bitz

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Ballard

Souray - Tanev

Gragnani

Yes, I put Ballard on the second pairing. As of right now I'm counting Salo as retiring (until somethin changes). Lets face it, we're stuck with him. If we have any hope of him regaining his scoring form he has to be depended on in that role. Give him at least till Christmas to find it (as long as he doesn't drag down Edler). If he can't regain form, plug in MAG and hope for the best until the deadline.

I picked up Souray for his size, grit and veteran presence on the blue line.

Paul Gaustad. Perfect pick up to anchor the fourth line and mentor Kassian. They played together in Buffalo.

Wow, what a load.

As usual, CDC logic in regards to hometown boy Shea Weber arrogantly fails to allow for the possibility that the guy just might actually like it there in Music City and doesn't plan to leave.

This is a terrible list. LOL at Seidenberg, Krownwall, Girardi and Seabrook in the top 10. Karlsson should be in the top 5, and Lidstrom is not that good anymore. Pietrangelo is also in the top 5. Seidenberg ahead of Pietrangelo is hillarious. More of a realistic list would be

1.Weber

2.Chara

3.Karlsson

4.Pietrangelo

5.Lidstrom

6.Suter

7.Letang

8.Keith

9.Boyle

10.Doughty

11.Edler/Yandle

i forgot about letang and pietrangelo.....but lidstrom is first because of respect and reputation, he the best defenseman in the last 20 years

doughty/edler/yandle dont belong on that list....atleast not yet, doughty is a little %^%^ and he had a horrible year because of it

i would take girardi over doughty any day

dont disrespect seidenberg and kronwall, they are so underated and fantastic blueliners who play in all situations

Haven't you learned anything (from Lui's contract) that making long term deals is a bad bad idea. They never work, look at any sport. The value is never there towards the second half of the contract. Also that is an extreme overpayment no matter how good Weber is.

Ryan Malone- old, tired, and has played with vinny his entire career, we need to get younger.

Teddy Purcell- No hits, plays with Stamkos of absolutely no value to us.

Archived