The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Dustin Penner's Next Contract

Hi.

Dustin is starting to be the old Dustin Penner we once loved at his 60 point pace these playoffs.

Call me crazy, but here is a list of points why the Canucks should possibly persue him;

- He is a LW & RW, so he can play both wings quite well

- He would add size and some grit to the Sedin line

- He is good at protecting the puck, as we saw last game against Phoenix

- He is a better checker than before now, since playing most of the year on the Kings' 3rd line

- Developed some chemistry with Jarret Stoll on the 3rd line, signing both of them would be stellar

- Doesn't drop the gloves often, but can fight some pretty tough guys (Rinaldo, Bieksa, Kubina)

- He hits about ~130 times per 82 games

In m opinion, you'd be getting a slower guy, with good offensive touch and average defensive capabilities, but better defensive game than before. He would be a good guy for the top 3 lines here

I would offer Penner: 5 years @ $16 million. $3.200 cap hit. He would be 34 at the end of the contract.

Once again, call me crazy, but he would add some needed size, net presence and a little more grit to our team.

WHAT WOULD YOU OFFER DUSTIN PENNER??

Not gritty enough and not enough consistency/work ethic. With his size should be able to absolutely destroy guys, but he doesn't. There was a montage that CBC did during the LA-VAN series and they showed Penner not having enough urgency and aggressiveness in his game; everyone was destroying guys, but he ended up throwing little love taps as hits.

Basically the difference between regular- and post-season Penner is his willingness to move his feet: last game Yandle couldn't handle him as he drove the puck in, then it bounced to Carter who scored. If he rediscovers his power-forward intensity I wouldn't hesitate to bring him in. I'd take 2 yrs/ $6M as mentioned by Hank above.

Twins + Penner = cycle perfected. So many chances for screens, picks, isolation plays, with a guy who's 6'4", 242 lbs who moves his feet!

Basically the difference between regular- and post-season Penner is his willingness to move his feet: last game Yandle couldn't handle him as he drove the puck in, then it bounced to Carter who scored. If he rediscovers his power-forward intensity I wouldn't hesitate to bring him in. I'd take 2 yrs/ $6M as mentioned by Hank above.

Twins + Penner = cycle perfected. So many chances for screens, picks, isolation plays, with a guy who's 6'4", 242 lbs who moves his feet!

got 17 points this year isn't the same I think LA won't offer anymore than 2 million for him

I see not a lot of teams pursuing him for the price he wants.

Eventually I see a one year deal between 1.5-2.25 million

My prediction: 1 year - 1.875 million + point bonuses

Archived