The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Vancouver Sun Article) Vigneault ‘Didn't Mean What He Said’ On Luongo Trade Request

Walking Paradox

To repeat:

"The Leafs’ senior vice president of hockey operations, David Nonis, told the Fan 590 on Friday that he would be surprised if James Reimer and Ben Scrivens were the team’s two goalies next season. The club, he said, was looking to acquire a veteran between the pipes."

Interesting that Nonis is making comments publicly to this effect.

The Monster is a UFA - Reimer would make a good back up to Luongo. The Leafs are not in a position to gamble with Scrivens.

McKenzie - "[Luongo's] contract is not as overwhelming as it first appears."

Speculation from the McKenzie interview... Burke might not want Luongo.... but Nonis does.... Burke can dance around the philosophical issues...of the long-term contract, because he did not sign Luongo to it...Burke doesn't have the best track record where goaltenders are concerned. Perhaps he will defer to Nonis on this one...

A master of reading between the lines, but unable to figure that out... prattling from a position of negative wishful thinking.

The contradictions out of Toronto are starting to bubble to the surface - where they are under greater pressure than ever, and Burke's history of bad judgement where goaltending is concerned is under the microscope - which is why Nonis has surfaced and made comments that they will not be starting next season with the struggling youngsters they have in the stable. The only other proven veterans are significantly older than Luongo, and won't come at much less of a cost. Feaster would be an idiot to have a Kiprusoff fire-sale, particularly when the last two years of his contract his salary is a combined 6.5 million and without him the Flames will rival Columbus as one of the worst teams in the NHL. Thomas will not be given away either, and his remaining time in the NHL might more reasonably be calculated in months as opposed to years...

Toronto and Tampa can play games in public all they want - Gillis can afford to be more patient than them.

To repeat:

"The Leafs’ senior vice president of hockey operations, David Nonis, told the Fan 590 on Friday that he would be surprised if James Reimer and Ben Scrivens were the team’s two goalies next season. The club, he said, was looking to acquire a veteran between the pipes."

Interesting that Nonis is making comments publicly to this effect.

The Monster is a UFA - Reimer would make a good back up to Luongo. The Leafs are not in a position to gamble with Scrivens.

McKenzie - "[Luongo's] contract is not as overwhelming as it first appears."

Speculation from the McKenzie interview... Burke might not want Luongo.... but Nonis does.... Burke can dance around the philosophical issues...of the long-term contract, because he did not sign Luongo to it...Burke doesn't have the best track record where goaltenders are concerned. Perhaps he will defer to Nonis on this one...

I think it was Pierre Labrun on sports radio this morning saying that the percieved dis-interest in Luongo is quite possibly a tactic by both Toronto and Tampa to try a get Luongo for less. The games have only just begun Banned. ;)

Rights to negotiate with one of the most prized UFAs on the market last season (Ehrhoff) - a 4th round pick that the Islanders lost in the end for nothing.

Rights to negotiate with Joey Crabb - a bottle of Gatorade - in other words, you can't include a player like Crabb in a trade package and expect those rights to have any value whatsoever.

RunningWild posted this link in another thread...

http://watch.tsn.ca/...0358#clip690358

Gillis receiving interest in Luongo.

Thomas might not play next year in the NHL.

Flames unlikely to move veterans after signing Hartley, according to Feaster.

The goalie market shrinking rapidly - potential Luongo suitors with less options - Gillis will meet with Luongo - undecided regarding his future in Vancouver.

Rights to negotiate with one of the most prized UFAs on the market last season (Ehrhoff) - a 4th round pick that the Islanders lost in the end for nothing.

Rights to negotiate with Joey Crabb - a bottle of Gatorade - in other words, you can't include a player like Crabb in a trade package and expect those rights to have any value whatsoever.

A comment based on Bob Mackenzie's comment on TSN of Luo's market being narrower than originally hoped but hey, cut and paste my comments all you want to try and undermine me personally, reality is you do not know what you are talking about here half the time.

They are a lot of solid people here who know hockey, why are you the only one on a mission to respond to me and troll me constantly?

My view is fine, if it wasn't, I would have more than one person on the NHL's biggest message board debating me...

A Luongo trade will be contained by the parameters of the Cap atmosphere - your refusal to consider relative comparisons of what other teams spend total on Goaltending and to present trade proposals and so forth tell me that you talk out of your hat on the topic.

I have said here numerous times that Luo may indeed be traded to Toronto but it will not be for the value many seem to think he will earn.

You yourself have never even put a trade up for him with Toronto, probably because you lack the wherewithal to even make one...

Honest question > why do you like him and how good is Colburne?

Looks like he played with in Camrose just after Raymond and had better numbers, but has taken a lot longer via college etc. What can you tell us?

Regarding your delusion that I am the only person who disagrees with you, you clearly have a short memory or haven't reviewed this thread. You are probably fortunate that CDC has not brought back the minus - how have you managed to still remain in the red after so long? Regarding "trolling" you, the irony is that you've made a bunch of ridiculous claims obviously completely unaware of what Gillis has said, unaware of what stage these Luongo processes are (which never stops you from puffing up your chest and posturing like you know what you are talking about) - you've made endless posts and comments arguing with my blogs (borderline compulsive really - you keep on keeping on, and always insist that you be responded to, and then you whine that you are being trolled?) - you have argued with practically every post I have ever written regarding your Flames, and you seem on a mission to double your total number of all time posts - in this thread alone.

LIke I said, I listen to what Gillis, Luongo, Schneider and Schneider's agent have to say on the issue - which is a pretty good starting point, not leaping into wild speculation like you have without paying half-assed attention to the actual context of all their comments.

I have made very clear statements regarding what I personally would like to see and think is realistic - if the Canucks decide to trade Luongo, if Luongo in fact decides he wants to be traded, waives his ntc, and puts Toronto on a list of potential destinations - NONE OF WHICH HAVE BEEN DETERMINED TO DATE - and this thread is not about trade proposals - but to repeat what I have said numerous time in other threads - at the very least, the rights to RFA defenseman Cody Franson, prospect center Joe Colborne, and a conditional pick - this year's 2nd (35th overall), or next year's 1st (likely middle of the pack after Luongo turns Toronto into a playoff team) if the Canucks throw in a depth piece in return. Otherwise, if it were up to me, Toronto is free to gamble on Vokoun, as are Burke and Nonis with their jobs.

I think Columbus will not try to play as many low-ball games at Toronto and would make a better trade partner - depending upon Luongo's flexibility. I don't see Columbus pursuing Luongo unless it is part of a pitch to keep Nash around, and I don't see Luongo being willing to go there if they are clearing house and rebuilding - so their interest is interesting, but would likely depend upon a change of direction from their shopping of Nash - but really, just a bunch of speculation with no real information aside from Lebrun reports that Columbus is "very interested."

Thanx for that!

I'm up on Franson, just did not know about Colburne. To me we need more than Franson as the headline return, after all he was acquired from Nashville for a 2knd rounder. He has holes in his game and is probably a third pair guy, 2knd PP? But the strengths of his game (all which you have listed) are in high demand here, making him a potentially very valuable 3rd pair guy here.

I made a separate post suggesting Franson and Kadri, but really did not know much about him either. To me I was hoping to add another play making prospect to replace CoHo. (I was told I was a ______!). The headline item in the trade was swapping our first for their (5th overall) first pick. I also threw in Tanev, a steady guy who helps all the "guns" on TO, also his size shortcomings are not a concern for them and his puck moving skills an asset. My opinion is that unless Colburne is a blue chip top end prospect, we need more for Lou than just Franson & him?

Do you mean why do I like Franson? Franson is a big (6'5"), young (24 year old), right-handed (if Salo doesn't return we only have a pair of RH in our top 8 and our two top prospects are LH as well), has a nice hard shot (can score the odd goal) and offensive upside, skates well, seems like a fairly balanced young guy with a lot of potential, is also a BC boy - I really don't think Nashville would have moved him were it not for Weber, Suter, etc, and I'd like to see how he develops on a team like Vancouver. Could sign him at a more reasonable cap hit than the $3.6 million Schenn who is in my mind a bigger risk. I think Franson is just at that point where he could benefit from a strong partner and might sign for what turns out to be a very sensible cap hit - leaving cap space for a few other guys high on everyone's wish list...

Colborne is also a big (6'5") young center - not far from being NHL ready - good offensive skills (perhaps not top line material but who knows) - I think he'd be a good young prospect, different from Schroeder - in my mind, we have a lot of depth on the blueline and some prospects (Tanev, Connauton, Sauve, Gragnani) same in terms of goaltending (Schneider, Lack and a few guys with a lot of potential) and our wingers (Jensen, Kassian and a few other young players) - adding a big young center in my mind is the type of prospect that makes the most sense - and to be honest, where Toronto is concerned, the options are not endless...(they have a pair of young right wingers in Ashton and Biggs, but I think Colborne being a center, might make the most sense). I tthink I would like to see some cap space retained by acquiring young players, and not much on Toronto's roster (aside from Franson) that I would want to take on...

Thanx for that!

I'm up on Franson, just did not know about Colburne. To me we need more than Franson as the headline return, after all he was acquired from Nashville for a 2knd rounder. He has holes in his game and is probably a third pair guy, 2knd PP? But the strengths of his game (all which you have listed) are in high demand here, making him a potentially very valuable 3rd pair guy here.

I made a separate post suggesting Franson and Kadri, but really did not know much about him either. To me I was hoping to add another play making prospect to replace CoHo. (I was told I was a ______!). The headline item in the trade was swapping our first for their (5th overall) first pick. I also threw in Tanev, a steady guy who helps all the "guns" on TO, also his size shortcomings are not a concern for them and his puck moving skills an asset. My opinion is that unless Colburne is a blue chip top end prospect, we need more for Lou than just Franson & him?

Archived