The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if Luongo goes to Toronto...

cmpunk

First of all the Staples center is nothing like the TD Garden atmosphere wise. Not even close.

Second, Martin Broduer is the best goalie of all time. Luongo is fantastic but not the greatest of all time.

Saying what you said is as daft as saying if Mason Raymond was Sydney Crosby game 7 would not have been necassary.

Guest BuckFoston

Just for some fun and something I was seriously thinking about. With rumors of Luongo going to Toronto being strong, if he ends up there he will no doubt put the Leafs into the playoffs. They almost made the playoffs last year but their goaltending just wasn't good enough. Luongo would put them in the playoffs next year if he is there.

I would be cheering for them all the way and this is coming from someone who HATES the Leafs more than anyone.

IF Lu ends up as a Leaf, which I pray he doesn't, I will wish him the best and will cheer his a$$ all the way to the Cup.

I would so satisfied. Finally this city who slaughters the confidence of every goaltender who puts on a Canucks uniform would get the slap in the face it needs.

Luongo

1st round pick

for

Phaneuf <-- perfect for the PP, if Salo retires.

5th overall pick

(Leafs then name Luongo captain to replace Phaneuf for the C)

then

Ballard

Raymond

5th overall pick

for

Oilers 1st overall pick

Linus Omark

I wish.

EDIT: Idk if I'd want to trade him to Toronto though. I still think it's great to keep both our goalies heading into next season.

Get real... coming in 8 points behind the 8th seed is not "almost making the playoffs" even if they were ranked 10th.If Luongo can't get an elite team like Canucks going in the playoffs so much so that he gets benched even when he is not playing badly, he isn't going to singlehandedly carry the a team like the Leafs to anything. Smitty tried to do it this year and failed and as of now he is more of an elite goalie than Luongo (not speaking overall career wise here, of course). One player cannot carry a team, it's just impossible. Sooner or later it will break down.

So no, he isn't going to put Toronto into the playoffs... and not even because he can't do it alone, but because he won't even be there.

Guest BuckFoston

Well he did stake carry Nucks to the playoffs once...remember the one season where it was all him. The one where he was nominated for the Hart....

While that is true, it was 5 years ago... 2007 if I am correct. He was also very much a different goalie back then. That's why when people talk about Vintage Lu they refer to that time. He is still great, but he will never be on that level again. Especially since that was when he was younger AND pre groin strain.

Also, carrying a team INTO the playoffs is not the same as carrying a team to the actual Cup, you can carry all you want but if you don't get the prize in the end your effort is still a failure. That's why I brought up Smith.

You should look a little closer at Florida if you don't see much there.

In addition to Huberdeau, they have Bjugstad and Howden (another pair of first round picks) and Matthias as prospect centers alone - in addition to Gudbranson and Kulikov, they have another 1st round pick in Ellerby - and a handful of promising 2nd round picks in their system- Petrovic, Robak, Bengstson on the blueline alone - as far as taking a roster player/contract in return, I'd probably rather take a risk on Upshall than anyone in particular that have been thrown in as spare parts off the Leafs roster - alot of expiring contracts and general no thank yous.

Im actually a Canucks(1)/Leafs(2) fan...

Toronto needs a goalie who can steal/win games for them and Vancouver is that.

Toronto won't be looking to move the 5th/Gardiner, but have other valuable assets that Vancouver could be interested in that would be relatively expendable.

No franchise deserves to have such a playoff drought, and both teams have assets that can help eachother.

I would be cheering for them all the way and this is coming from someone who HATES the Leafs more than anyone.

IF Lu ends up as a Leaf, which I pray he doesn't, I will wish him the best and will cheer his a$$ all the way to the Cup.

I would so satisfied. Finally this city who slaughters the confidence of every goaltender who puts on a Canucks uniform would get the slap in the face it needs.

"I would so satisfied. Finally this city who slaughters the confidence of every goaltender who puts on a Canucks uniform would get the slap in the face it needs."

Yeah, because the Leafs fans have such a great record of supporting their goalies. Luongo would go there with so much expectation as the "saviour" that he would never be able to live up to the hype.

I'm good with that.

However only a fool would take Schneids over Lu. That, imo would be just like rolling the dice because we have never seen Cory go through the highs and lows and back stabbings over a whole season..............It all runs off Lu's back like water off a duck. Lu is the real deal and as soon as we get a big D who won't be bullied we will see that.

Unless a small D plays hard like Bieksa or Ballard he is always going to come second in puck battles with the bigger forwards.

Then we all find out if there is such a thing as an afterlife. Next!

It would be about as embarrassing as watching the Lightning (2004), Anaheim (2007) and quite possibly this year, the Kings hoisting the Stanley Cup. How embarrassing is it to watch a team, that came into the league after the Canucks, go and win it all? If that doesn't put some fire into the players, I don't know what the hell will.

Archived