The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pierre McGuire not so wrong!

Herberts Vasiljevs

Sorry, check recent history.

Stoll, Kelly, Bolland, Staal... All would be top 2 centres on 1/2 the teams in the league, but accepted the challenge of playing defensive roles for top teams.

And were rewarded with a ring worth a lot more than their $150,000 value.

Also, looking at it differently, Kesler was drafted to be a big, fast and feisty 3rd line centre.

I think that these guys are every bit as important as some peoples perception of a top 6 centre. Plus teams craft the roles according to who is at the dance. Take note of how different Hodgson was as a 3rd line centre than Manny, and yet he was helping us till whatever occurred.

We could have managed CoHo differently. He had a contract, he's an employee > shut up and do your job. We also have leverage with young players, they get paid 10 or 20% of the NHL salary in the minors. Play him in the minors for a while, and fend for yourself against the thugs in the AHL. It does wonders for attitude correction. And perhaps Kassian was fair value for him, but was effectively trading for futures which cut some of our legs out this year. We just got the wrong fair value?

I don't see the point of taking another goalie because there are an adequate supply in the system already.

I would hope that we would draft a RW with some size and skill.....if we can find another Jensen, I would be happy beyond belief.

There is no point in using a 1st pick on a top 6 type centre because once again, there wouldn't be a top 6 position for him to fill as long as we have Henrik and Kes. The last thing we need is another Hodgson nightmare demanding a trade because he wants to be a star right now and not work his way up.

In the 2nd round, I would look for a big right shooting dman with a mean streak.

I just hope that we don't draft any more smallish players....we need to get bigger and tougher.

There are so many good players that were drafted after the 26th pick, like seriously?

Datsyuk, Perry, Eriksson, Bergeron, Backes, Callahan, Brad Richards, Neal, Benn, Elias, Sharp, Zetterberg, Vrbata, ect, ect. like this is just the tip of the iceberg here.

There are a couple of things about this draft that are interesting. There are a ton of D that are set to go in the first round, so picking a real solid stay at home will be possible, a lot of those top picks will have offensive upside. 2ndly, there are no Canadians slotted to go before pick 15ish, which means we could get potentially draft a top 5 Canadian forward. You might say that Canada just doesn't have a real strong class this year but you can't tell me that there won't be at least one good Canadian forward prospect to come out of this draft.

Subban might end up being a great goalie, who knows its a draft, almost every player you draft is a bust. To me the whole point of drafting is replenishing your stock, if that's the case, then why pick a goaltender? There is going to be lots of talent around that 26th pick.

Yeah no i understand what you're saying, but this is like the year of Defensemen so I mean take it for it's worth. Our Depth on D is only okay, especially considering that Tanev isn't really a prospect anymore, he's a top 6 guy already. Defense is the hardest position to draft and they're the hardest to come by so despite the needs I would draft a D at 26th this year if I wasn't completely sold on any forwards around that spot.

Having said that I think there will be some guys at that spot. Usually top Canadian forwards are gone by pick 10 and this year someone might get a late round steal. Picking Subban would be retarded. I think there's a few guys like Gaunce, Laughton, Pearson, ect. There's also a few American prospects around that pick, I wouldn't be surprised to see an American drafted by this franchise, we've been successful drafting from those programs since getting Kesler.

Problem is it's Subban. Sure, we hear that he's a bit more mature than his brother, but you can clearly judge by his interviews that they both have the same competitiveness. I doubt, he'll have the patience of a Schneider to wait his turn. Subban could very well be the next Ray Emery, which is more a helll more likely than being that other nutjob in Patty Roy.

I think, with the experience with Luongo that the organization would rather not have a high emotional goaltender.

WHAT?! How could you possibly have come to THAT conclusion at this point in his career? Sounds to me like you're letting your opinion of the older Subban cloud your opinion of the younger one. A bit of a recurring theme in this thread.

Mind my asking what --- other than the obvious --- led you to the Emery comparison?

Guest gumballthechewy

Look at it this way, if there is no one that the team wants or needs, then you pick the BPA. Pretty simple if a moron like me can figure that out! :P

Mind my asking what --- other than the obvious --- led you to the Emery comparison?

Archived