The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

If the reports are true I am happy that Gillis said no for a couple reason.

1) Schenn would help the Canucks out but who would win the trade more, I deftainly say Leafs do. While Schenn is only 22 and still is developing he could hurt the Canucks by not catching onto Av's game plan which most likely will have him nailed to the bench. Luongo gives the leafs 30 wins and most likely a playoff spot.

2) I honestly think Luongo is worth more than a player that has a bunch of question marks, I am not saying that Luongo will get us a roster player and a couple prospects but just look at all the deals that has happen with goalie lately. Bobrovsky got Philly 3 draft picks while he only played 25 games last year? Sure Luongo's contract is large but he still has a good 5 season left in him.

Garrison had 1 good year playing with a fantastic puck mover in Campbell.

Project? That is very, very arguable. At barely over 20 years of age on a TERRIBLE hockey team he has averaged 22 points, 230 hits, and 130 blocked shots, while ONLY being a combined -13 the last 2 years. People act like this guy is a clown because he was expected to be Scott Stevens.

Unreal people...Unreal.

Kulikov and Gudbranson are the equivalent for Florida as Keith and Seabrook were in Chicago under the reign of Tallon. Not necessarily in terms of talent or style of play even, but in regards to being the cornerstone pieces on defense they plan to build around for the near future.

If the reports are true I am happy that Gillis said no for a couple reason.

1) Schenn would help the Canucks out but who would win the trade more, I deftainly say Leafs do. While Schenn is only 22 and still is developing he could hurt the Canucks by not catching onto Av's game plan which most likely will have him nailed to the bench. Luongo gives the leafs 30 wins and most likely a playoff spot.

2) I honestly think Luongo is worth more than a player that has a bunch of question marks, I am not saying that Luongo will get us a roster player and a couple prospects but just look at all the deals that has happen with goalie lately. Bobrovsky got Philly 3 draft picks while he only played 25 games last year? Sure Luongo's contract is large but he still has a good 5 season left in him.

Not sure why people are saying Tallon won't move Gudbranson. This is professional sports, you generally have to give up something to get something. Today we saw Rutherford moved B. Sutter, a guy who was apparently untouchable. He's their assistant captain, Rutherford went so far as to trade for or signed most of Sutters family. Yet, he was moved today for an older, more expensive version of himself - a guy who'll be a UFA in 1 yr. LA said Schenn was 'untouchable', he's now in Philly. It happens all the time.

I'm guessing Gudbranson is Gillis's target, Friedman reported as such at trade deadline. History tells us Gillis likes to pursue the same guys (Gragnani), even if it takes longer than anticipated. It was also 'speculated' that Burke was angry that Hodgson was traded 1 day after Gillis told him he wasn't available. Weeks later it was reported Gillis would only trade him for 6 specific players (enter Gudbranson). From all of this, to me, it means Toronto doesn't have anything Gillis wants - perhaps only as a fall back option (Schenn). Dollars to donuts, Gillis find a way to bring in Gudbranson (unless there are other unknown teams interested).

no one said he is a "clown" - the point is that Gillis is holding out for a reason...what is unreal is that people can turn on their tv or computer, read a few articles, listen to Darren Dreger or whoever, and think they now know what offers Gillis is receiving and what he should do.

There is another day tomorrow. Try a little patience.

Personally I consider it a damn good day - the Canucks picked up a center with the 26th pick that we really couldn't have expected to be available.

Not sure why people are saying Tallon won't move Gudbranson. This is professional sports, you generally have to give up something to get something. Today we saw Rutherford moved B. Sutter, a guy who was apparently untouchable. He's their assistant captain, Rutherford went so far as to trade for or signed most of Sutters family. Yet he was moved today for an older, more expensive version of himself. LA said Schenn was 'untouchable', he's now in Philly. It happens all the time.

I'm guessing Gudbranson is Gillis's target, Friedman reported as such at trade deadline. History tells us Gillis likes to pursue the same guys (Gragnani), even if it takes longer than anticipated. It was also 'speculated' that Burke was angry that Hodgson was traded 1 day after Gillis told him he wasn't available. Weeks later it was reported Gillis would only trade him for 6 specific players (enter Gudbranson). From all of this, to me, it means Toronto doesn't have anything Gillis wants - perhaps only as a fall back option (Schenn). Dollars to donuts, Gillis find a way to bring in Gudbranson (unless there are other unknown teams interested).

I think so and didn't Schenn spend time in the dog house this year too? I like his physical game but too much of a gamble for a straight up Luongo swap. I remember watching one Leaf game against Florida where Schenn whiffed on the puck and the Panthers scored 10 seconds in.

Edler and Schenn could be a nightmare in there own zone.

Not sure why people are saying Tallon won't move Gudbranson. This is professional sports, you generally have to give up something to get something. Today we saw Rutherford moved B. Sutter, a guy who was apparently untouchable. He's their assistant captain, Rutherford went so far as to trade for or signed most of Sutters family. Yet, he was moved today for an older, more expensive version of himself - a guy who'll be a UFA in 1 yr. LA said Schenn was 'untouchable', he's now in Philly. It happens all the time.

I think we saw an example of 2 classy GM's tonight doing the right thing for a player and still getting what they want, Shero and Rutherford for J. Staal. If Luongo really wants to be in Florida because of his family, Gillis should do the right thing and as a way of respect to Luongo and thanks to his years here, find a way to get it done and stop dragging this sh*t on for so long. Yes, even if Gudbranson isn't coming back this way and we get 2 players back in return named Sturm and Samuelson ... j/k about the last part. .

He does like Gudbranson that is for sure - and Florida also has Kulikov, Ellerby, Robak, Petrovic and now Matheson for young blueliners.

We picked up Gaunce, but they also have Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Matthias, Howden....

Who knows what a team like Winnipeg might put in play.

The way I look at it, tomorrow is another suspense filled draft day. I'm going to enjoy it. I think the Canucks will get an attractive return for Luongo - I mean, a 2nd and two other picks for Bobrovsky...

Archived