The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian - Overcoming Adversity

DobberHockey

Hey CDC,

Wanted to share an extensive profile of Zack Kassian I put together yesterday.

http://www.anguscert...ming-adversity/

His rookie season compares quite favourably to Milan Lucic's (yes, the comparison everyone wants to make). I make some projections and included advanced stats, too.

Buffalo didn’t draft Kassian to be a pretty good player. The Canucks didn’t trade for him because they think he could settle in as a solid NHL player. Both teams saw a star quality in him – the ability to dominate games with offensive talent and brute force. Kassian may not be the next Milan Lucic. But it is far too early to write him off.

I feel like Kassian is going to trudge along for a few years and just mostly rely on his size and strength, until eventually his hockey sense gets to the point that he can become a star player.

Most power forwards begin their careers like that in some way, a few years of low point totals and physical play, to eventually break out in their mid to late 20's.

I'm starting to compare Kassian to Bertuzzi (similar size, play style), who didn't have that breakout year until he was 26.

I thoroughly enjoyed the article, great read, well done. +1

Kassian will be a star. In my mind, he should eventually be playing with the Sedins. Perfect complementary power forward to two of the worlds best finesse players, each player is in their preferred position (D. Sedin/H. Sedin/Kassian. He will be playing with the Sedins, Burrows plays exceptionally well with Kes.

I mean even if he turns out to be Chris Niel type of player, he would still have a lot of value. He has size to spare, I just hope that AV can figure out how to utilize him better (in front of net on PP, hint, hint). I'm looking forward to his 10 goal, 25 point season coming up and Hodgson's eventual 50 point season and watch CDC still not get the fact that it's going to be a few years for offense.

Three main differences between Lucic's and Kassian's rookie seasons:

1. Lucic fought more times as a rookie than in any other season. ie. WAY more than Kassian.

2. Lucic wasn't traded.

3. Lucic's rookie season was NHL-only.

Lucic is, was and will continue to be a freak. While the first thing the Canucks did to Kassian was to make him shave. Boo.

TOML

Ahhh CDC Predictions, I remember when everyone thought Brandon Reid was going to be the next bure. We all know what happened there. You all heard of the madden curse well welcome to the CDC curse where predictions destroy your career.

Well done, Mr. Angus. The kid is still very young and has a lot of growing up to do, but in a supportive environment like Vancouver, he could do very well. I wouldn't expect a breakout season from him yet, but 15 goals and 30 points would be promising, given the ice time he is likely to get.

In the first 3 games he showed us flashes of what he can do. Playmaker, hitter, multiple breakaways due to high hockey IQ, makes the right plays in the d-zone. I think he'll put it all on the ice this upcoming season. But consistency is going to take a few years.

I don't get why a lot of canucks fans were doubting him. I mean..c'mon...can't expect a lot of work to be put on his shoulders, he showed lots of good flashes..finally a guy you can drive the to the net instead of dumping the puck in or going wide. We just need a little MORE patience. The guy just needs to get his feet wet.

Archived