Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Edler hidden piece? 'blockbuster' rumor circulating?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#31 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Edler is a top 15 defenseman in this league. He's going nowhere. In fact, he's getting re-signed.

While I agree with you and do not expect him to be on the block, I do hope our GM is constantly looking to get better. Nobody should be unmovable.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#32 Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

As much as I want edler to stay. His value as a young potential all-star D could fetch certain pieces this team needs moving forward.

say weber signs, or suter, schultz, garrison

theres lots of UFAs comming up.

anything is possible

#33 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

While I agree with you and do not expect him to be on the block, I do hope our GM is constantly looking to get better. Nobody should be unmovable.

Absolutely. It's not like Gillis will hang up the phone when GM's call about Edler. That said, there are very few scenarios in which moving Edler would make the team better. He's a total package type defenseman that EVERY team covets. It's funny because he's exactly what a lot of Canucks fans are desperate to have on the team. Problem is, they don't realize the team already has it in Edler.

#34 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

Absolutely. It's not like Gillis will hang up the phone when GM's call about Edler. That said, there are very few scenarios in which moving Edler would make the team better. He's a total package type defenseman that EVERY team covets. It's funny because he's exactly what a lot of Canucks fans are desperate to have on the team. Problem is, they don't realize the team already has it in Edler.

I think it is mostly a CDC issue, kiddies wanting change for the sake of change.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#35 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:37 PM

Why would Nashville be interested when Edler is a ufa next summer

Why would Vancouver be interested when Weber could be a UFA next summer also?

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 25 June 2012 - 10:37 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

Why would you want to trade Edler!?!?!?!?

#37 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Anaheim fans hate Getzlaf, they want him gone because since he signed the big deal, he's as lazy as they come. No thanks. Nash won't be coming bec he upsets our salary structure and while I like Ryan, giving up Edler and getting Ryan just shifts the hole from upfront to the back. If we sign Garrison and this High Maintenance Kid from Wisconson (and assuming he can play) it would work but thats a lot of ifs trading away your only all star dman from last year...

I'd have to disagree, Getzlaf had one bad year, besides that he's put up more than a point a game ever since signing his deal. Getzlaf doesn't have a whole lot if motivation playing for a team that never tries to improve. A change of scenery would be great for Getzlaf and you all know Ryan is on the block. This deal could actually work and if Garrison and Schultz sign, this deal would actually make us a much better team.

It would also pave the way for the future and would possibly open up Weber and Perry both signing here next summer.

Edited by mpt, 25 June 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#38 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

Why would Vancouver be interested when Weber could be a UFA next summer also?

I dont Carolina just traded for Staal and he was a lock for next summer, Weber still is a slight possibility. We need to stack this team and perform well for Weber to consider coming here

#39 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'd have to disagree, Getzlaf had one bad year, besides that he's put up more than a point a game ever since signing his deal. Getzlaf doesn't have a whole lot if motivation playing for a team that never tries to improve. A change of scenery would be great for Getzlaf and you all know Ryan is on the block. This deal could actually work and if Garrison and Schultz sign, this deal would actually make us a much better team.

It would also pave the way for the future and would possibly open up Weber and Perry both signing here next summer.

Do you really, really think that by next summer this team will have the Sedins, Getzlaf, Perry and Weber on it? Really?

#40 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Do you really, really think that by next summer this team will have the Sedins, Getzlaf, Perry and Weber on it? Really?

Maybe he's thinking we are hosting the 2014 Olys?

Edit: That could be $32M in 5 players, add in our goalies and it's likely $37M. Hope those guys stay healthy!

Edited by GradinToSmyl, 25 June 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#41 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Edler is just entering his prime trading him because of one bad playoff series where most of the team wasn't that great is foolish.

SYvE9NH.gif

#42 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

Edler is just entering his prime trading him because of one bad playoff series where most of the team wasn't that great is foolish.

Yep. As I said, Edler is the type of player that all 30 NHL teams covet. He's big, he's skilled, he's physical, he's good in his own end. He's absolutely #1 defenseman material. He's just not quite consistent enough yet but most top defenseman take awhile to get to that point where they're playing at a high level every game. I think we've just been spoiled by that 2008 draft. Guys like Doughty, Pietrangelo, Myers and Karlsson have already become top defenseman. In reality, that doesn't happen very often. Shea Weber sure didn't become a top defenseman overnight. Nor did Duncan Keith. Hell, Zdeno Chara was drafted in 1996 and really only came into his own a few years after the lockout.

Edited by NuxFan09, 25 June 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#43 22Sedinery33

22Sedinery33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

Edler is not going anywhere, end of discussion.
Posted Image

#44 Edge

Edge

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

Edler is a great asset ... he has talent, size, and can play a physical game. What he doesn't have and what we desperately need is a mean streak. As cliche as it sounds, we need grit, someone with total determination to do whatever it takes to gain puck possesion. Edler should sit down and watch some video of players like , Scott Stevens, Claude Lemiuex, Chris Pronger, etc. Yeah, those guys were/are hated by everyone except their teamates and the fans of the team they played for. When I was a kid I friggin' hated Esa Tikkanen with a passion. He was dirty, he had skill, he made life hell for the teams he played against and he was an invaluable asset to his team. When he came to Vancouver, I groaned but quickly realized his worth ... even though it was in the twilight of his carreer. If MG were to trade valuable assets, this is the type of player he should be seeking; skill, talent, size and grit.

Edited by Edge, 25 June 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#45 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Edler is a great asset ... he has talent, size, and can play a physical game. What he doesn't have and what we desperately need is a mean streak. As cliche as it sounds, we need grit, someone with total determination to do whatever it takes to gain puck possesion. Edler should sit down and watch some video of players like , Scott Stevens, Claude Lemiuex, Chris Pronger, etc. Yeah, those guys were/are hated by everyone except their teamates and the fans of the team they played for. When I was a kid I friggin' hated Esa Tikkanen with a passion. He was dirty, he had skill, he made life hell for the teams he played against and he was an invaluable asset to his team. When he came to Vancouver, I groaned but quickly realized his worth ... even though it was in the twilight of his carreer. If MG were to trade valuable assets, this is the type of player he should be seeking; skill, talent, size and grit.

Watching video of people doesn't make you like them.

#46 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

edler is a bigger defenseman with more offensive upside, he has a rocket of a shot and he loves to hit big... he's been groomed by the canucks organization for the better half of a decade. why would he give garrison his spot on the team?

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#47 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

why would he give garrison his spot on the team?

Better question, why would the Canucks ever do that?

#48 Edge

Edge

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

@GradinToSmyl - Video is not going to turn him into these players, agreed. The point of watching those players is to show the determination they used to play the game.

#49 gjoseph89

gjoseph89

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

There are some games when Edler looks so dominant then there are times when he just plays average. If he played more consistancy he would be untouchable. We are trying to win a cup and if there is a player you need, then he should be involved to get us what we want. I wanna see our team win the cup and we have to do it by whatever means neccessary. I like edler but i think i would like the cup more. Weber and Perry would be nice. Seems like Anahiem will be going in a different direction, maybe there is a deal to be made with them. Perry, Perry, Perry.

#50 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

Edler had one of his best years defensively in my opinion. Yes, his playoff performance was bad, but so were Bieksa and Salo. He'll come back stronger.

#51 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Whenever I think of worst-case scenarios involving Edler, I think of Joni Pitkanen. Pitkanen had a blistering hot start in the NHL (in his second year in the NHL, he put up 46 points in 58 games with the Flyers when he was 22 years old - he has declined a lot since then). Pitkanen's struggled through several injuries in his career, something that Edler hasn't had to deal with a whole lot (thank God). That said, my worry is for Edler to take a step back in his development and plateau to what Pitkanen is now. That's not to say that Edler would suck if he plateaued to where Pitkanen is now, it's just that Edler's always had the potential to be so much more.

#52 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

@GradinToSmyl - Video is not going to turn him into these players, agreed. The point of watching those players is to show the determination they used to play the game.

I think you missed the point, watching video of 3 cheap shot douchebags (who I'd take on my team) isn't going to make Edler into anything like them. If it would, why not make EVERYONE watch these magic videos. There are far better examples of determination.

#53 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

Whenever I think of worst-case scenarios involving Edler, I think of Joni Pitkanen. Pitkanen had a blistering hot start in the NHL (in his second year in the NHL, he put up 46 points in 58 games with the Flyers when he was 22 years old - he has declined a lot since then). Pitkanen's struggled through several injuries in his career, something that Edler hasn't had to deal with a whole lot (thank God). That said, my worry is for Edler to take a step back in his development and plateau to what Pitkanen is now. That's not to say that Edler would suck if he plateaued to where Pitkanen is now, it's just that Edler's always had the potential to be so much more.

Edler had back surgery last year and missed a big chunk of the 2nd half. Random example is random.

#54 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Elder needs a steady partner to succeed. It's that simple. Then he can take those risks and let the partner help him with coverage.

We didn't have that last year once Salo went down and never came back.

But everyone is tradeable - more than likely it would be to bring in a steady partner for him.... Sutter would fit the bill quite nicely. I'd actually rather have sutter as a ufa than give up pieces to get weber. No sh1t eh??

#55 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Dupe

Edited by canucksnihilist, 26 June 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#56 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Dupe

Edited by canucksnihilist, 26 June 2012 - 12:09 AM.

#57 ms stanley

ms stanley

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

eldler is soon to be amount the elite Defencemen If not already. I don't care if anyone disagrees, it's true! He is truly underated.

Sanest comment so far!

#58 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

No he isn't going to be elite. He will be just under that level at best - meaning sometimes there.

He does things that seem right to him but aren't. He will always take that risk and get burned... And if his psyche is vulnerable he loses it. Again, needs that solid partner (don't we all!!! Lol)

Edited by canucksnihilist, 26 June 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#59 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

edler for weber or nothing

Who exactly do you play fantasy hockey with?
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#60 4thLineGrinder

4thLineGrinder

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

edler and louongo for malkin and crosby

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.