Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Cory Schneider. What offer is too much to match?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#61 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Just a thought.... with all the trades that TO has made do they actually have all of their own picks next year? If not this could be a moot point.

Edit - never mind, apparently TO does have all their picks.

Edited by babych, 26 June 2012 - 08:32 AM.

(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#62 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

The one person who is a great position in all this is Cory. I think he will become a very rich man on Jul 1st. As people mentioned, if there wasn't this fiasco going on, he'd be worth $3 mill for 3-4 years to prove himself. That is a helluva raise and very fair. BUT since MG is in this pickle and he might have to match offers up to $4-4.5 mill. If anyone offers more than that, take the picks and keep Lui.

#63 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

The one person who is a great position in all this is Cory. I think he will become a very rich man on Jul 1st. As people mentioned, if there wasn't this fiasco going on, he'd be worth $3 mill for 3-4 years to prove himself. That is a helluva raise and very fair. BUT since MG is in this pickle and he might have to match offers up to $4-4.5 mill. If anyone offers more than that, take the picks and keep Lui.

I've said this time and time again. The offer sheet thing is moot point because I really don't believe Schneider will sign any. He knows the Canucks have an opportunity to match any offer sheet he signs and he doesn't want to be locked in with the Canucks with Luongo still in the fold. Otherwise, he would have just signed a multi-year extension with the Canucks already or would intend to.

I honestly think the Canucks are safe with Schneider. For now. We all know that the best thing Gillis can do is trade Luongo ASAP so Schneider can feel free to sign long term (if he chooses to do that) and the team can just move on with their plans this summer.

#64 yes we can nucks

yes we can nucks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

I don't think one person complains about Lou's 5.3 million cap hit.

Just the ridiculous length of the contract and the fact that he's pocketed more money than any other goalie in the past few years and hasn't played like it.

Tell me you're kidding. 'In the past few years'? Let's see... Vezina runner-up, Jennings award, Olympic gold medal, 2 President's trophies, reached game 7 of cup finals... Yeah, disappointing playoff results, but did you expect him to score goals too? He's worth every penny, I'd say.
And let's face it... the 'ridiculous length of the contract' was a gimmick and loophole to lower his cap hit, which allowed the team to pay for another impact player. It's highly unlikely that Lu will play to the end of his contract.

#65 Kerry Park Islanders

Kerry Park Islanders

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

At this point our former #1 goalie has been ostracized. There is no letting anyone walk, we now need Cory. We pay what we pay, he's young he's a winner, and like it or not folks he is the face of goaltending in Vancity for awhile.

#66 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

I grasp it fine, you just need to be right. The fact you cannot think or entertain the possibility that he would sign for less shows me you are part of this money grabbing youth who love to get paid for really no work at all. Ignore away ignoramus lol.

I guess there is the possibility that he can also play centre on the 3rd line this year if this is the game we are playing. You said "Gillis SHOULD HAVE signed him for less last year". If Gillis could have, he would have. Will you heart be broken if Schneider signs a big offer sheet? Will your sig be rendered useless?

And lol at the "money grabbing" youth. WTH does that even mean? You mean people making enough money to take care of their family and hopefully have enough to leave some for the next generation?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#67 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Tell me you're kidding. 'In the past few years'? Let's see... Vezina runner-up, Jennings award, Olympic gold medal, 2 President's trophies, reached game 7 of cup finals... Yeah, disappointing playoff results, but did you expect him to score goals too? He's worth every penny, I'd say.
And let's face it... the 'ridiculous length of the contract' was a gimmick and loophole to lower his cap hit, which allowed the team to pay for another impact player. It's highly unlikely that Lu will play to the end of his contract.

FWIW, Luongo doesn't get paid to play in the Olympics.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#68 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

At this point our former #1 goalie has been ostracized. There is no letting anyone walk, we now need Cory. We pay what we pay, he's young he's a winner, and like it or not folks he is the face of goaltending in Vancity for awhile.

He really is. It was Luongo, now it's Schneider. The guy was drafted and slowly developed by the Canucks organization and is now flourishing, albeit in a small role to this point, in the NHL. It was great when the Canucks acquired Luongo and he went on to be one of the elite goaltenders in the league during his time here, but there's just something a bit more special about a guy who has emerged out of the Canucks' system. Like the Sedins, like Kesler, like Burrows, like Edler and like Bieksa, Schneider is a pure-bred Canuck.

In other words, I think there are other niceties about continuing with Schneider as the starter other than the fact he is better than Luongo, or younger, or whatever.

#69 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,748 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Sorry if this is already posted but is there a maximum length of term an offer sheet can be signed for?

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#70 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

Sorry if this is already posted but is there a maximum length of term an offer sheet can be signed for?

No term limit other than the NHL's new contract length rules. (Vanek was offered 7 years)

#71 Resiliency

Resiliency

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Nothing is worth considering unless it's four first round picks.

Posted Image

#72 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Nothing is worth considering unless it's four first round picks.

That's not going to happen. But would you match $7M a year for 5 years? (not going to happen anyway)

#73 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

That's not going to happen. But would you match $7M a year for 5 years? (not going to happen anyway)

I would. Honestly, what choice would Gillis have? I highly doubt that forfeiting Schneider and going back to Luongo is going to work. The damage is done. If Schneider indeed signed an offer sheet like that, Gillis would have no choice but to match.

#74 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

I would. Honestly, what choice would Gillis have? I highly doubt that forfeiting Schneider and going back to Luongo is going to work. The damage is done. If Schneider indeed signed an offer sheet like that, Gillis would have no choice but to match.

Ladies and gentlemen, your new, highest cap hit goalie in the league, CS35!!

#75 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

If it 3-4.5 million, I'd match it and let Lu and Schneids play another year together, unless there is a good deal for Lu coming our way. If it is over 5 mil, we have to trade Lu.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#76 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

The only flaw in this plan is that Schneider would become a UFA after the year and could walk. Chicago loses 21st, a 2nd and a 3rd for 1 year of service. That's kinda high risk.

could. but a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for 1 year of a potential cup run that could entice schneider to stay...
chicago or any team would show a commitment to schneider by offering him 5 million.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#77 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

The contract will be 3M/yr for 2 years

Agreed it should be. What scares me about him signing a 2 year contract, that he becomes UFA at the end and will could/likely sign for another team.

Every else please take off your rose colored glasses and stop thinking he deserves all the money in the world.

I've said this time and time again. The offer sheet thing is moot point because I really don't believe Schneider will sign any. He knows the Canucks have an opportunity to match any offer sheet he signs and he doesn't want to be locked in with the Canucks with Luongo still in the fold. Otherwise, he would have just signed a multi-year extension with the Canucks already or would intend to.

I honestly think the Canucks are safe with Schneider. For now. We all know that the best thing Gillis can do is trade Luongo ASAP so Schneider can feel free to sign long term (if he chooses to do that) and the team can just move on with their plans this summer.

We are less then a week till July 1st, and he has not signed. Please stop thinking its automatic that he signs with us. With or without Luo here he should have signed already. This is about money.

If Schneider does sign an offer sheet with another team that just shows he could care less about being here. He has the potential to be a great goalie, but he has not 100% proved it.

Edited by VMR, 26 June 2012 - 09:56 AM.

They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#78 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think MG needs to commit to Schneider being our #1 goalie regardless of the Luongo situation. That's what he wants and he has earned it. If MG does this, Schneider signs with Vancouver and the issue, as far as starter is concerned, is resolved. Lou can keep the bench warm, stay at home or enjoy life in the AHL or whatever. This would eliminate any other team tendering offersheets and maintaining control of our own destiny. I don't even want to think of him becoming a RFA.

Edited by komodo1970, 26 June 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#79 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

could. but a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for 1 year of a potential cup run that could entice schneider to stay...
chicago or any team would show a commitment to schneider by offering him 5 million.

Offering a 1 year deal doesn't say commitment to me.

#80 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

I think MG needs to commit to Schneider being our #1 goalie regardless of the Luongo situation. That's what he wants and he has earned it. If MG does this, Schneider signs with Vancouver and the issue, as far as starter is concerned, is resolved. Lou can keep the bench warm, stay at home or enjoy life in the AHL or whatever. This would eliminate any other team tendering offersheets and maintaining control of our own destiny. I don't even want to think of him becoming a RFA.

It really doesn't help our trade situation with Lu if we go ahead and commit long term to Schneider yet. And it surely doesn't help Schneider to sign a contract with Lu here as it would make him great trade bait if necessary.

#81 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

once it hits 5+ I think it would be too much
Posted Image

#82 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

We are less then a week till July 1st, and he has not signed. Please stop thinking its automatic that he signs with us. With or without Luo here he should have signed already. This is about money.

There is no good reason for Schneider to have signed here yet. He wants to be a #1 and that won't happen with Lu here. He is playing this like a true professional, contrary to what some people think a profession should act like.

#83 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,855 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

why not 5million? In my example below he is getting just shy of 4million and we have 4.3m left over. That is with keeping both him and Lu, lol....keeping both is not the end of the world, in fact, look at the full roster I have there, what really is messed up about that? Nothing These guys won the presidents trophy twice in a row and went to the Stanley Cup Final...lets keep the good times rolling, with a Kassian and Jensen infusion...Schroeder is there while they cover off Kesler to start the season.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Mason Raymond ($2.400m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($3.945m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,942,500; BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,357,500

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#84 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, your new, highest cap hit goalie in the league, CS35!!

I retract what I said. I read your post wrong. I read it as 7 years at $5 million per year. At $7 million, no, I would not match. I don't have any clue what Gillis would do in that scenario but it would be pretty insane to match that.

#85 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

I retract what I said. I read your post wrong. I read it as 7 years at $5 million per year. At $7 million, no, I would not match. I don't have any clue what Gillis would do in that scenario but it would be pretty insane to match that.

Sorry, no take backs, you already matched.

#86 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Agreed it should be. What scares me about him signing a 2 year contract, that he becomes UFA at the end and will could/likely sign for another team.

Every else please take off your rose colored glasses and stop thinking he deserves all the money in the world.

If Schneider does sign an offer sheet with another team that just shows he could care less about being here. He has the potential to be a great goalie, but he has not 100% proved it.

You're not getting it. If Schneider signs an offer sheet from another team, he's all but guaranteed to be locked in with the Canucks because the Canucks will match the offer sheet, unless it's some ridiculous number. If he's thinking about his own career, as he should be, it would be in his best interest to sign at least a one year deal with Vancouver because at least by next summer he'll be a UFA and have complete control over where he goes.

Either way you slice it, it's quite likely he signs with the Canucks for at least another season. I think him and his agent are just being patient and allowing Gillis the time to try to work out a Luongo trade before actually signing on the dotted line. I actually agree with some other posters that suggest that a draft of a multi-year extension exists and that it's all theoretical depending on what happens with Luongo in the coming days/weeks.

#87 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

If Schneider does sign an offer sheet, again, unless it's for an insane number that the Canuck can't match, he should be aware that he'd be playing right into the Canucks hands. Believe me, Gillis is just daring teams to offer sheet Schneider for multiple years at $5 million or less. It would do him a huge favour. Schneider isn't stupid, though. He knows all this. He isn't signing an offer sheet unless some team decides they're going to bank it all on him and offer him $6 million+ for several years. In that case, yeah, it's worthwhile to sign on the dotted line because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to surmise that the Canucks are going to be in tough to match an offer sheet like that.

Edited by NuxFan09, 26 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#88 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

There is no good reason for Schneider to have signed here yet. He wants to be a #1 and that won't happen with Lu here. He is playing this like a true professional, contrary to what some people think a profession should act like.

Agreed, however according to everyone the starting position is his. Lu here or not if he is as good as everyone says there would be no doubt the job is his. I think for pros it makes no differents if the old starter is sitting on the bench and with how strong mentally everyone says he is, it would not affect him.
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#89 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Agreed, however according to everyone the starting position is his. Lu here or not if he is as good as everyone says there would be no doubt the job is his. I think for pros it makes no differents if the old starter is sitting on the bench and with how strong mentally everyone says he is, it would not affect him.

It's not about his mental strength. It's about his deep and profound respect for Luongo. No matter how confident he is in his own abilities, while Luongo is a Canuck he considers him the starting goaltender.

#90 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

If Luongo doesn't get moved, what is stopping the Canucks from trading a signed and very marketable CS? It really makes no sense for CS to sign a deal when he can shop around. Surely EVERYONE can understand this and has likely done the same thing in some aspect of their life. Why sign yesterday when he can sign on the 30th? Or after July 1?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.