The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider. What offer is too much to match?

nitti999

If Canuck fans are complaining about Luongo's cap hit currently, if we resign Schneider to 4-5 Million, and he has a few bad games in a row... these boards will be exploding and surely someone will die.

Im really curious to find out what kind of offers we have gotten for Schneider. Ok that being said, I just remembered reading something yesterday that said Burke offered Schenn for Hodgson :picard::picard::picard::picard: :@:@:@:@:@

Luongo will not go to Toronto, Burke is too bigheaded and will never match Gillis' demands.

I have a feeling sow how Vancouver is dealing with the Luongo issue..not so sure he is 100 %

convinced he wants to stay in Vancouver for a long time.

Vancouvers track record for their elite players,,,not so well treated..Linden, Bure, Ohlund, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Morrison and now Luongo..all great players that have been traded from Vancouver even though Linden was brought back to end his career here.

Look at New Jersey..Brodeur except for this year did not play well the last few years did you see New Jersey try to trade him..they were patient with him and look at the results this year.

The moment Luongo gets traded the message we send is who would want to play in markets like Toronto Vancouver or Montreal..!!!!

I heard even Theodore is not wiling to waive his no trade clause to come to Vancouver...he doesn t want to relive his years in Montreal.

So good luck to all of us for the future.. NO big names seem willing to come here anyways unless like Sundin you give 10 millions.

Lets be real here, he is making what 900,000 now? Still has not played a full season and people think he should get somewhere between 4 and 5 mil? Really? Fair market value for this kid right now is 2 - 2.5 mil. Thats almost triple is wage now. That plus being first string duties should be more than enough till he can show what he can do with 3 to 4 seasons. I like what I see with him but lets face it, there have been many many examples in the past where goalies looked great in a back up role and never became an elite goalie. If other teams want to throw that much cash at him I say let him go and take the picks. Luongo is not a shabby plan B.

magic number this year is 5.046 million (to $6,728,781) which would force a compensation package of: 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd

Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 - two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

if you are say the Chicago Blackhawks...what do you have to lose by offering schneider $5.5 million. they have $8,234,872 in cap space and projections of schneider have him as a great #1 goalie. with schneider the hawks should finish no lower than 5th in the West and probably advance past the 1st round each year. This would secure them a first round draft pick of no lower than 20. Their core is young enough to risk 1 20th round pick, a second or third.

if they really want schneider, they could even offer $6.7 for 1 year. chicago really has nothing to lose. low risk, high reward

Five years, 22.5 million, works out to 4.5 per year cap hit. Burke is hihgly unlikely to throw an offer sheet at Schneider because he hates offer sheets. Remember how p.o.'d he was when Kevin Lowe signed Penner to an offer sheet? I think he might have said he'd never do that. Then again, he hates long term, big money contracts like Luongo's, too, but I still think Roberto will proably end up with the Leafs.

Its time to look at the buisness side of this, Luongo is a great goalie and can bring the cup here, the issue has been a weak defence. I say trade Schneider for a number 2 or 3 defenceman. Look at LA Quick was very good but his defence played outstanding ( Mitchell we miss you ). We have a goalie in the minors in Luck, will we want to get rid of Schneider if he has a bad game and Luck has a good one. I say stay with Luongo and beef up the "D"

Burke will not offer 5 mill, we dont match and we get TO 1,2,3 pick. If Toronto fails to make the playoffs again they would have givin Boston 2 ist rouders and van 1 st rounder in the last 5 years. Burke's owners wont let Burke throw ridiculus amounts of money at an unprovin goalie. Burke is already on thin ice.

The criteria for RFA draft

pick compensation in 2011-12 is as follows:

•$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation

•$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick

•$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick

•$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

•$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

•$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

•$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

TO 1st round pick and

Cap hit doesn't matter to me. It would be the term. If Burke offers him 6 million for 1 or 2 years - bite the bullet. Anything longer then he can have him.

But a offersheet doesn't really bother me. Just how Schneider has carried himself makes me believe that he wouldn't force Gillis like that. Obviously I can't back that up, its just a gut feeling.

Archived