Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Should Our 2nd Actually be Our 3rd Line?.............

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#31 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

I thought so too but:

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

It is possible to do

Now, there are some missing pieces, 21 man roster, and it would sink us in the draft forever, my point is simply on a piece of paper, from simply a numbers perspective, it could be done.

Corey Perry is not a Center, this isn't NHL 12

#32 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Never said he was. SIMPLY posted the OP's lineup according to salary.
Sig too big.

#33 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Raymond for Kane
Higgins for Backes and Johnson
Edler for Weber and a 1st
Hansen for Perry

OP is right, this is the best plan to move forward.

Except Johnson is in Colorado B)

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#34 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,505 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

Bad troll is troll.

you're doing it wrong X Y is X, not X Y is Y...

ifcoyb.jpg

Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck___________small.pngGM - STHS

NHL: Vancouver&Toronto / MLB: Toronto / NBA: Dallas / NFL: Philadelphia

#35 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Apologies Perry was below Pelley who is a centre and I misread it ..............I suppose Getzlaf would be favourite. Not quite as ballsy but bigger and no sap

I don't have NHL 12 or a Playstation or an xbox sorry..........only a laptop and a schnauzer :-)

Edited by Bodee, 26 June 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#36 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

you're doing it wrong X Y is X, not X Y is Y...

Correct poster is correct.

#37 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm just gonna ignore Kane-Perry-Backes because it's impossible to make happen and go straight to the second proposal.

I can't see how Clowe-Stewart-Arnott is an upgrade on what we have now. They are big, but thir offense is limited. Clowe is really the only player I would be willing to have on the second line, other than him this line would be better suited to the 3rd line role. And I would still take Higgins and Hansen any day over Arnott and Stewart.

#38 steviewonder20

steviewonder20

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I think we need to make an upgrade in quality to lift a Cup.

As I have said often we have a fine set of players but I think we lack variation. I would like to see us trade away Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra and Booth and create a BIG rugged 2nd line of bruisers and snipers.

The team would then be along the lines of

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Kane(Clowe) - Perry(Arnott) - Backes(Stewart)

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Why not add Crosby while you're at it for the first line and put the Sedins on the second. Is this Fantasy Hockey or something you actually think is possible?

Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

I would then trade Edler for a big defensive reasonably priced body like Weber if maybe not actually Weber (considering cap)

Ballard - Weber..................Hamhuis - Bieksa
Hamhuis - Bieksa...............Ballard - Erik Johnson
Sbisa - Tanev.....................Sbisa - Tanev

Part of our problem as I see it is we have relied on (augmented by the Sedins) defensive scoring, PP and outstanding net-minding to get us to where we are but I don't think that set up (in the way we utilise it, with average body size) will take us through a war of attrition.

It might sound radical, but I want to make our defence help out the goalie and our attack waste the opposition 5 on 5 with a mixture of skill, speed and big hitting. That line up has it all depending on how well Kassian improves and Raymond comes out of pre season.

I see a team along these lines getting multiple cups. The 2nd line for me was the most disappointing in the team.........some of that can be put down to injury but in my view they were not big enough and did not play a cohesive, joined up game. Frankly I doubt it will improve with the personnel concerned. That said I have more faith in Kesler's big time ability than Booth's

Now, how do we do it? Can we do it for less?

#39 steviewonder20

steviewonder20

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Why not put Crosby on the first line while you're at it and move the Sedins to the second?

#40 EV604

EV604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Try to acquire these players on Xbox... see how hard it will be

#41 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

I do not want to see Kassian on the top line

Never?

What if he played well enough on it?

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#42 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

2nd line. Do we really need one??
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#43 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,403 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

No, we need someone who can play with Booth & Kesler, preferably a playmaker. Hoping Kesler comes back when he's 100% I'm pretty sure our 2nd line is fine.

307mg00.jpg

#44 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

I think we need to make an upgrade in quality to lift a Cup.

As I have said often we have a fine set of players but I think we lack variation. I would like to see us trade away Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra and Booth and create a BIG rugged 2nd line of bruisers and snipers.

The team would then be along the lines of

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Kane(Clowe) - Perry(Arnott) - Backes(Stewart)

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

I would then trade Edler for a big defensive reasonably priced body like Weber if maybe not actually Weber (considering cap)

Ballard - Weber..................Hamhuis - Bieksa
Hamhuis - Bieksa...............Ballard - Erik Johnson
Sbisa - Tanev.....................Sbisa - Tanev

Part of our problem as I see it is we have relied on (augmented by the Sedins) defensive scoring, PP and outstanding net-minding to get us to where we are but I don't think that set up (in the way we utilise it, with average body size) will take us through a war of attrition.

It might sound radical, but I want to make our defence help out the goalie and our attack waste the opposition 5 on 5 with a mixture of skill, speed and big hitting. That line up has it all depending on how well Kassian improves and Raymond comes out of pre season.

I see a team along these lines getting multiple cups. The 2nd line for me was the most disappointing in the team.........some of that can be put down to injury but in my view they were not big enough and did not play a cohesive, joined up game. Frankly I doubt it will improve with the personnel concerned. That said I have more faith in Kesler's big time ability than Booth's

Now, how do we do it? Can we do it for less?

Your 2nd line should be your 1st line
Posted Image

#45 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0zZttfUaw

the concept of getting several of Kane, Backes, Clowe, Perry or Stewart (whatever combo) for those players deemed on here to be expendable deserves to be rolled away and discarded exactly as the Oompa Loompa's threw out that blueberry girl.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#46 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,546 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

Well yes, if it were possible, it would be very nice. Thank you.

TOML
Posted Image

#47 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Ok one more time just for you............CAN WE DO IT FOR LESS?................do you see it tucked down at the bottom of the post?

Maybe if you didn't understand the point of the post and the theory behind it you should just have moved on and left this thread to people who have some ideas to put forward.

Ok, just for you i re-read the post. Twice.

Once again i find myself wondering how you remotely considered this plausible.

No we cannot do it for less. We cannot do it for more.
The players you mentioned would be, for all intents and purposes, IMPOSSIBLE to acquire.
The cap hit would also be over the limit (the other poster failed to take into account the fact the many of the players are on the tail end of contracts therefore the values are not accurate)
Posted Image

#48 hnijhar

hnijhar

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

our problem is that Kesler doesnt produce with his line, so thats why were thinking in putting it down to the 3rd. IMO Manny malhotra is garbage, if i was gillis i would dump him. we need to find a GOOD right winger for kesler like : Voracek, maybe even Versteeg, .
Posted Image

#49 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

I think we could, if the players were available realistically accommodate this. It is weakening my theory with Burr in the 2nd but by my thinking this would be Kesler and Raymonds's make or break season. And if they don't make it perhaps Gaunce, Jensen and Mallet might be ready.

There is size energy and, if Kesler comes back firing, plenty of points in the 2nd line. The first line should really fire up with a big battling sniper like Perry feeding of the silky Sedins.

I also like the 3rd line if Raymond get's back to some decent form. His speed, Kassians size in front of the net and Lapierre's abrasive trouble making, it would mean that the opposition could not ignore it. ...............It's a thought.

Sedin - Sedin - Perry
Clowe - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Lapierre - Kassian
Volpatti - Schroeder - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Johnson
Sbisa - Tanev

projected if Raymond and Kes don't come back and the prospects shape up. (3 french speakers on the 3rd, ooh la, la!)

Sedin - Sedin - Perry
Clowe - Gaunce - Jensen
Mallet - Lapierre - Burrows
Volpatti - Schroeder - Kassian

I realise that this line up is a long shot and some may think optimistic but it has the size and quality we need.
Kevin.jpg

#50 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

I think we could, if the players were available realistically accommodate this. It is weakening my theory with Burr in the 2nd but by my thinking this would be Kesler and Raymonds's make or break season. And if they don't make it perhaps Gaunce, Jensen and Mallet might be ready.

There is size energy and, if Kesler comes back firing, plenty of points in the 2nd line. The first line should really fire up with a big battling sniper like Perry feeding of the silky Sedins.

I also like the 3rd line if Raymond get's back to some decent form. His speed, Kassians size in front of the net and Lapierre's abrasive trouble making, it would mean that the opposition could not ignore it. ...............It's a thought.

Sedin - Sedin - Perry
Clowe - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Lapierre - Kassian
Volpatti - Schroeder - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Johnson
Sbisa - Tanev

projected if Raymond and Kes don't come back and the prospects shape up. (3 french speakers on the 3rd, ooh la, la!)

Sedin - Sedin - Perry
Clowe - Gaunce - Jensen

I realise that this line up is a long shot and some may think optimistic but it has the size and quality we need.

Wow. Although I'd love to have Clowe and Stewart as you posted earlier, I'm not too sure if you know how this works. You see, in order to get these players that you want, you have to give up something to get them. So, just what do you expect to give up to get Clowe and Perry and Johnson, or as you posted earlier Clowe, Stewart, Perry, Kane, Backes and whoever else you magically dreamed up?

Also, the last forward group you had posted was

Sedin - Sedin - Perry
Clowe - Gaunce - Jensen

So, you have 4 rookies in this lineup, 2 of which were from this years draft and you have 2 other guys in Kassian and Volpatti who have played less than 50 games each in the NHL. Doing the math, that's EXACTLY half of your forward lines who have combined for less than 80 games of NHL experience - TOTAL . HOW exactly do you expect to win with that? And Gaunce as your second line centre? He is much less heralded and talented than Hodgson was, so how exactly do you expect him to play as your second line centre at 18 years old on this team? Not to mention that Mallet was expected to go in the later rounds and is quite likely lucky if he'll be able to even crack the Wolves roster nevermind the Canucks.

One thing I will agree with is that the Canucks need to get bigger and tougher(like the 94 team who could play the game any way you wanted too and who would probably walk all over this version of the team) and I've been saying that forever and I'd love to get Clowe, Stewart and Weber. But at some point common sense has to rule. Realistically how do you plan on getting 3 different teams in our own conference to trade us their better players?

#51 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,533 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image

MessiSig.jpg

Credit to: MrNHLFanatic

#52 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Clowe, Arnott, and Stewart would be a slow line.

....A slow cohesive line would still be better than a faster unproductive Kesler line.imo

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.