Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

A New Out-look & Upgraded Team For 2013... (Long Read)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

There are obvious proposals and ideas all floating around, now that we have chosen to go with Cory Schneider as our number one goaltender and since free agency opened up July 1st. I've been following along very closely, as I'm sure many of you have as well.

I'm confident all of you have come up with your own plans and by popular decision have also gone along with a few from others, I'm just putting my own and some of your ideas down on here to try and gain some perspective on what could possibly or will possibly happen in the next little while.

The team that will be shaped here-- after the departure of Lu, will form the future and impact our chances at returning to the SC final, as well as having another shot at winning the holy grail. So by no means do I take it lightly, I put my full trust in MG. The following is just a proposal within my own experience and hockey knowledge that I think will benefit this team.

Firstly, I would like to say that we should in fact pursue a trade with Toronto, instead of Florida. (Unless MG or Luongo himself says he is only interested in heading to Florida)

My trade proposal would then be as follows:

To Vancouver:
Rights to Cody Franson, Joe Colborne, 1st round pick (2013)

To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo, 1st round pick (2013), Conditional 3rd (2014) 'Dependant on whether or not Franson chooses to sign.'

When ever the right time for a real trade involving Toronto is, I hope that it is soon. It's common knowledge that they desperately need a franchise goaltender. This deal seems fair, we both get what we need, perhaps a bit of an over payment in some of the Maple Leafs/Canucks fans eyes but a good trade none the less.

We could then proceed to sign Franson to a two year deal paying 2.5 mil each season, then hit the FA market (Assuming this deal happens asap) to sign a forward that we need to fill out our top 6. Shane Doan or Alexander Semin come instantly to mind, the first being the preference. We could send Doan an offer for about 5 mil for three seasons, or 18 mil over four seasons (According to his own preference) --We may have to fork out more though, due to other bidding teams.

If he elects to go back to Phoenix we could then go after Semin or perhaps right away if Semin is the safer option (Considering he may be off the market before Doan makes his decision) sending him a contract offer valued at 6 mil for approximately one year. We could send Mason Raymond to Anaheim or another team of interest for picks (2nd, 3rd?) and then proceed to sign Jason Arnott for one season at 2.5-3 mil, who would be a good option to take over the 2nd line while Kes makes a steady recovery.

Lastly, we could then sign a back up goaltender like Al Montoya for a one year two-way deal valued at around 950k, giving Lack the opportunity to be back up to Schneids or sending him back down to the Wolves and going with Montoya, dependant on who shows more promise.

The line up would look as follows for the playoffs:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Doan/Semin
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Higgins - Arnott - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

-- Volaptti, Ebbett, Colborne

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Franson

-- Tanev, Alberts

Schneider
Lack/Montoya

To me this looks like an instant contender, with a lot of UFA's coming after this season (Within our team as well) it wouldn't be the worst of ideas.. With next season Shea Weber being a target or whoever else might tickle MG's fancy, there isn't too much risk involved in going with this proposal.

I think the addition of Franson, being a former Nashville Predator and another BC boy being added to that list, Weber will have his eye's kept on Vancouver as a likely destination. (Assuming Suter leaves and he chooses to test FA next season)

Doan would obviously be the best applicant, but perhaps we could see flashes of brilliance along the lines of Pavel Bure by signing a highly touted russian born player like Alexander Semin?

Either way, just a thought.. Would love to hear my fellow fan bases opinions? ^_^

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 04 July 2012 - 06:11 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#2 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

I actually want Tanev to be a regular because I see upside in him, at the same time, i know he can be reliable defensively. Franson and Ballard pairing isn't very safe. Franson's size and potential is intriguing but i don't think I'd play him over Tanev.

I think Semin has the best shot in the game, but you can't rely on him to be consistent to be on the first line.

Goaltending is really young, it's better off to get a veteran to be able to keep Schneider grounded.

Edited by Rey, 04 July 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#3 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

I actually want Tanev to be a regular because I see upside in him, at the same time, i know he can be reliable defensively. Franson and Ballard pairing isn't very safe. Franson's size and potential is intriguing but i don't think I'd play him over Tanev.

I think Semin has the best shot in the game, but you can't rely on him to be consistent to be on the first line.

Depending on who plays better, as well as the many possible injury's during a regular season, we could see Tanev have more than enough ice time.

In my opinion, he isn't completely NHL or playoff ready for a team competing for the Cup. Another year or two of development would do him great, Franson on the other hand is about to become an NHL regular, having quite a bit more NHL experience.

His offensive side also helps, with Ballard choosing to play more defensively than offensively in Vancouver these past two years.

EDIT:
In reply to the edits, if Semin doesn't shine on the first line with two of the best passers in the game he will likely not be back next year. (Hence the one year term) We also have a crafty player by the name of Alex Burrows to play on the top line if he falters. A second line of Booth - Kesler - Semin could be just as deadly.

As for a veteran goalie, there aren't too much on the market aside from Alex Auld.. Which I don't think anybody wants to see back. I suppose Nittymaki would be a viable option, but that would be up to MG. Montoya has a bit of experience already playing along with Schneids, as stated in a previous article on these boards. So it wouldn't be the worst case scenario, maybe Turco wouldn't be too bad but it's a long shot.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 04 July 2012 - 02:26 AM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#4 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Depending on who plays better, as well as the many possible injury's during a regular season, we could see Tanev have ice time.

In my opinion, he isn't completely NHL or playoff ready for a team competing for the cup. Another year or two of development would do him great, Franson on the other hand is about to become an NHL regular, having quite a bit more NHL experience.

His offensive side also helps, with Ballard choosing to play more defensively than offensively in Vancouver these past two years.

If you think Tanev isn't completely NHL ready or "playoff" ready. Man, you'll have your hands tied with Franson.

Reliable defensively verses Pylon at times. Huge difference.

Edited by Rey, 04 July 2012 - 12:26 AM.

#5 Steve Kariya

Steve Kariya

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

This is a surprisingly well thought out post, that is both reasonable and realistic. (Making it a rarity on CDC). Sorry that the first three replies focused on the smallest detail of your post (whether Tanev or Ballard is in the 3rd pairing - important but not the main point).

The approach is solid in terms of the deal with Toronto as it addresses some needs for us, and does not set them back very far as an organization to get a huge upgrade in goal for them. Colborne fills a potential long term need for us of a 3rd line center with great size and some skill, and Franson would be a good #6 dman for us (whether replacing Ballard or Tanev in the line-up - and could free us up to move one of them if the right opportunity came along). The only negative in terms of perception is there's little contract $ coming back, so that's where maybe you could see Connolly (as mentioned in another thread) get put into it, which we could include Raymond or a mid-level prospect to balance it out (Rodin, Sauve, etc). I'd do the deal as a Canuck fan. If we could get more than that from them or Florida, awesome, but I'd be content with that for sure.
Players to still sign for Canuck's upcoming season:
Brandon Reid, Bill Muckalt, Fedor Fedorov, Harold Druken, and... Steve Kariya!

#6 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

I say frack Semin!

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#7 Peter Gunn

Peter Gunn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

-- Volaptti, Ebbett

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Franson

-- Tanev, Alberts

Schneider
Lack/Montoya

^_^

Rather have Doan with Booth and Kesler and I think Tanev a better fit with Ballard than Franson.

#8 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

This is a surprisingly well thought out post, that is both reasonable and realistic. (Making it a rarity on CDC). Sorry that the first three replies focused on the smallest detail of your post (whether Tanev or Ballard is in the 3rd pairing - important but not the main point).

The approach is solid in terms of the deal with Toronto as it addresses some needs for us, and does not set them back very far as an organization to get a huge upgrade in goal for them. Colborne fills a potential long term need for us of a 3rd line center with great size and some skill, and Franson would be a good #6 dman for us (whether replacing Ballard or Tanev in the line-up - and could free us up to move one of them if the right opportunity came along). The only negative in terms of perception is there's little contract $ coming back, so that's where maybe you could see Connolly (as mentioned in another thread) get put into it, which we could include Raymond or a mid-level prospect to balance it out (Rodin, Sauve, etc). I'd do the deal as a Canuck fan. If we could get more than that from them or Florida, awesome, but I'd be content with that for sure.

Thanks, I've also read the other posts on the whole having to take cap back thing and have been talked out of believing we will need to take anything back by oldnews. The points he made were very clear, it's more about timing. The ball is really in our court right now for the most part, only time seems of the essence to signing free agents.

If in fact they did want us to take cap back, which they shouldn't (Considering they have 12 mil in cap space and they won't be seeing Rick Nash this season) then we could then switch and go with a Florida proposal, we have the benefit of having more than one team some what interested. It would crumble my proposal being that it depends on a trade with Toronto, but hey that's the way it works sometimes isn't it? :lol:

Posted Image

#9 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

Apparently there are 20 teams that are interested in Doan so it is unlikely we will sign him. I'm all for making a push for him but if he doesn't re-sign in Phoinex it is unlikely he will be a Canuck. Also, Semin has no heart and isn't the type of player that Gillis would even consider. And NHL 12 is misleading, a 2 way contract doesn't mean that a player can be sent down without going through waivers. They have to be 26 or younger and/or played under 100 games I believe. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Alex Galchenyuk, 04 July 2012 - 12:37 AM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#10 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

It isn't minor at all. He's trading Luongo for Franson, who is the only guy in the deal that could become a roster player right now on a contending team. Franson already expressed that he does not want to sit on the bench, he wants to be a regular.

You have a major problem here because Ballard and Tanev are both better than Franson. If Franson is the odd man out, then why would he sign with the Canucks in the first place? What purpose is there, to acquire him? if he isn't capable of making the team? A 6-7 defense man on the 3rd worse defensive team last year. Does that not tell you anything at all?

Also - After losing Seguin and Hamilton. You'd think Burke would think twice before trading his first.

Edited by Rey, 04 July 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#11 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

There are obvious proposals and ideas all floating around, now that we have chosen to go with Cory Schneider as our number one goaltender and since free agency opened up July 1st. I've been following along very closely, as I'm sure many of you have as well.

I'm confident all of you have come up with your own plans and by popular decision have also gone along with a few from others, I'm just putting my own and some of your ideas down on here to try and gain some perspective on what could possibly or will possibly happen in the next little while.

The team that will be shaped here-- after the departure of Lu, will form the future and impact our chances at returning to the SC final, as well as having another shot at winning the holy grail. So by no means do I take it lightly, I put my full trust in MG. The following is just a proposal within my own experience and hockey knowledge that I think will benefit this team.

Firstly, I would like to say that we should in fact pursue a trade with Toronto, instead of Florida. (Unless MG or Luongo himself says he is only interested in heading to Florida)

My trade proposal would then be as follows:

To Vancouver:
Rights to Cody Franson, Joe Colborne, 1st round pick (2013)

To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo, 1st round pick (2013), Conditional 3rd (2014) 'Dependant on whether or not Franson chooses to sign.'

When ever the right time for a real trade involving Toronto is, I hope that it is soon. It's common knowledge that they desperately need a franchise goaltender. This deal seems fair, we both get what we need, perhaps a bit of an over payment in some of the Maple Leafs fans eyes but a good trade none the less.

We could then proceed to sign Franson to a 2 year deal paying 2.5 mil each season, then hit the FA market (Assuming this deal happens asap) to sign a forward that we need to fill out our top 6. Shane Doan or Alexander Semin come instantly to mind, the first being the preference. We could send Doan an offer for about 5 mil for three seasons, or 4.5 for four seasons. (If he prefers an added year)

If he elects to go back to Phoenix we could then go after Semin or perhaps right away if Semin is the safer option (Considering he may be off the market before Doan makes his decision) sending him a contract offer valued at 6 mil for approximately one year. We could send Mason Raymond to Anaheim or another team of interest for picks (2nd, 3rd?) and then proceed to sign Jason Arnott for one season at 2.5-3 mil, who would be a good option to take over the 2nd line while Kes makes a steady recovery.

Lastly, we could then sign a back up goaltender like Al Montoya for a one year two-way deal valued at around 950k, giving Lack the opportunity to be back up to Schneids or sending him back down to the Wolves and going with Montoya, dependant on who shows more promise.

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

-- Volaptti, Ebbett

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Franson

-- Tanev, Alberts

Schneider
Lack/Montoya

To me this looks like an instant contender, with a lot of UFA coming after this season it wouldn't be the worst of ideas.. With next season Shea Weber being a target or whoever else might tickle MG's fancy, there isn't too much risk involved in going with this proposal.

I think the addition of Franson, being a former Nashville Predator and another BC boy being added to that list, Weber will have his eye's kept on Vancouver as a likely destination. (Assuming Suter leaves and he chooses to test FA next season)

Doan would obviously be the best applicant, but perhaps we could see flashes of brilliance along the lines of Pavel Bure by signing a highly touted russian born player like Alexander Semin?

Either way, just a thought.. Would love to hear the fellow fan bases opinions? ^_^

Why does everybody want Semin?  He is the worst idea for this team ever.  You want a team whose issue in the playoffs the past 5 years is toughness, to bring in a soft, albeit talented, Russian?  Shane Doan would be perfect, Semin horrible.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM^Is that really what you want for the playoffs?

Edited by dura_mater, 04 July 2012 - 12:42 AM.

Apollo is not a real person but a post-bot built by the Aquilini's to create hype.

#12 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Montoya and Doan = Good.
Semin and the Luongo trade = Not so much.
I would want a bit more in return for Lu, especially if we are throwing our 1st in with him. Plus Toronto's 1st wouldn't be a hot commodity if they had Luongo, it would probably be between 15th and 20th overall.
And Semin is not a good fit for our team. Awful defensively, soft as warm butter, and he dissapears in the playoffs. Don't want.

Edited by Jagermeister, 04 July 2012 - 12:39 AM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#13 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

Rather have Doan with Booth and Kesler and I think Tanev a better fit with Ballard than Franson.

This is only my preferred lines, I'm sure it would be AV's choice in the end.

Franson and Doan/Semin would be making the money to deserve a shot at playing, or top line min as per the later.

Like stated above, if it doesn't work out I'm sure Tanev or perhaps Burrows will be willing to slot back in. ;)

EDIT: @Jagermeister -- Contrary to popular belief, Semin is not a bad defensive player. His plus seasons over the past four seasons kinda helps state my point. As for the draft picks, it's a gamble but there is no guarantee they finish high enough to make it to the playoffs right away with out making another significant move on defence or up front. We'd all like to believe it, I'd love to see Lu have them make the playoffs for the first time since the lock out. Still as I mentioned, no guarantee.. It could turn into a high pick or maybe not, I still believe it's a worth while trade. Florida doesn't give us much more than this back, (Being a rebuilding team) if you know what I mean.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 04 July 2012 - 02:48 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

Why does everybody want Semin? He is the worst idea for this team ever. You want a team whose issue in the playoffs the past 5 years is toughness, to bring in a soft, albeit talented, Russian? Shane Doan would be perfect, Semin horrible.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM^Is that really what you want for the playoffs?

Scoring was also a big problem in the playoffs as you might recall.. lol Bringing Semin in is a solution. If you can't see the potential of being paired with two of the greatest passers in the league, well then I don't know.. :huh:

The FA market is thin, there aren't much better players you are gonna find.. We don't have much to give up in the form of a trade next to Luongo, most pieces of this team being important for a cup run.

EDIT: @Rey -- Just who do you think we are going to receive that are roster players from Florida? We'll be lucky if we can land someone like Versteeg, most players coming back being prospects. Colborne can give us a solid one, as well as could be a projected 3rd line center replacement.. The 1st pick (swap) Gets us a chance at drafting another great player, give me a better trade proposal and we can talk. And make it realistic please.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 04 July 2012 - 01:21 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Scoring was also a big problem in the playoffs as you might recall.. lol Bringing Semin in is a solution.

The FA market is thin, there aren't much better players you are gonna find.. We don't have much to give up in the form of a trade next to Luongo, most pieces of this team being important for a cup run.

EDIT: @Rey -- Just who do you think we are going to receive that are roster players from Florida? We'll be lucky if we can land someone like Versteeg, most players coming back being prospects. Colborne can give us a solid one, as well as could be a projected 3rd line center replacement.. The 1st pick (swap) Gets us a chance at drafting another great player, give me a better trade proposal and we can talk. And make it realistic please.

Save the cap. The Canuck's have time to experiment. There's still trade deadline to acquire another scorer.

The reason why Luongo hasn't been traded is because Gillis wants roster players, because the Canucks are contenders now. No way he settles for only prospects. Teams don't throw 1st and highly touted prospects away like candy, either.

Edited by Rey, 04 July 2012 - 12:59 AM.

#16 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

Apparently there are 20 teams that are interested in Doan so it is unlikely we will sign him. I'm all for making a push for him but if he doesn't re-sign in Phoinex it is unlikely he will be a Canuck. Also, Semin has no heart and isn't the type of player that Gillis would even consider. And NHL 12 is misleading, a 2 way contract doesn't mean that a player can be sent down without going through waivers. They have to be 26 or younger and/or played under 100 games I believe. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure nobody is going to pick Al Montoya off our team at the beginning of the season, and I'm sure there are ways around that while first negociating the contract.. If they did in fact though, then we go with Lack and sign a diff goalie afterwards. There will be options, the NHL is full of them. lol

@Jagermeister -- What would you think if it was a 2nd round draft pick going their way instead of a 1st?? I'm sure you would be more than willing.. lol That would mean two 1st round picks in the next draft. Point in case is that while it does sound better, they may or may not go for it. If they would awesome, if not well then we have to structure a new deal and that then takes more time.

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 04 July 2012 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

Save the cap. The Canuck's have time to experiment. There's still trade deadline to acquire another scorer.

The reason why Luongo hasn't been traded is because Gillis wants roster players, because the Canucks are contenders now. No way he settles for only prospects. Teams don't throw 1st and highly touted prospects away like candy, either.

Which is why getting a 1st (Future prospect) and Colborne is worth while. The acquiring of roster players come via FA as stated, like I've said we don't have too much in regards to trades. Our roster is pretty tight, the best time to strike is now imo.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what MG does, like I said originally.. It is all his decision and not any of ours, thankfully.

Posted Image

#18 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Not sure this thread is actually realistic... so many premium-priced players (Doan, Semin), some way past their prime (Arnott) doesn't provide the longevity that MG would look for in building his rosters IMHO (plus if he can't stand Cody, then how could he stand Semin with his attitude?)

Furthermore, I doubt that Ballard would stay around if MG was going to make so many signings.

I also think that in the Lu trade we overpay... Franson hasn't reached his potential and is undervalued by Burke, nor has Colborne (and who knows if he will or not?), and their 1st will drop sharply in value with Lu in net, since they'll be a contender with a starting goalie of his caliber.

I like the Montoya signing though, liked him since he was drafted by Phoenix. Good effort overall!

Edited by MessiNacity10, 04 July 2012 - 01:20 AM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#19 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

Not sure this thread is actually realistic... so many premium-priced players (Doan, Semin), some way past their prime (Arnott) doesn't provide the longevity that MG would look for in building his rosters IMHO (plus if he can't stand Cody, then how could he stand Semin with his attitude?)

Furthermore, I doubt that Ballard would stay around if MG was going to make so many signings.

I also think that in the Lu trade we overpay... Franson hasn't reached his potential and is undervalued by Burke, nor has Colborne (and who knows if he will or not?), and their 1st will drop sharply in value with Lu in net, since they'll be a contender with a starting goalie of his caliber.

I like the Montoya signing though, liked him since he was drafted by Phoenix. Good effort overall!

If you read a bit closer, towards the bottom of the proposal it states that we have a lot of UFA's coming up next season. The Arnott deal and the Semin deal being for this year, temporary. While it doesn't benefit us long term, it does give us a chance at winning the cup for this season, as for next season there are bigger fish in play for the future. (ex. Weber)

What would make Ballard want to leave? I don't get it... lol (He will in all likelihood be gone if we decide to make a play for Weber anyways) Also the notion that MG couldn't stand Cody is completely fabricated by the fan base.

Perhaps we over pay a bit, but in their eyes they are probably doing the over paying as well. Either way a trade doesn't always leave every single person happy, I certainly would be though. :lol:

EDIT: If it were Doan instead of Semin, hopefully that would be long term and could definitely make our future a little brighter!

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 04 July 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Steve Kariya

Steve Kariya

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

It isn't minor at all. He's trading Luongo for Franson, who is the only guy in the deal that could become a roster player right now on a contending team. Franson already expressed that he does not want to sit on the bench, he wants to be a regular.

You have a major problem here because Ballard and Tanev are both better than Franson. If Franson is the odd man out, then why would he sign with the Canucks in the first place? What purpose is there, to acquire him? if he isn't capable of making the team? A 6-7 defense man on the 3rd worse defensive team last year. Does that not tell you anything at all?

Also - After losing Seguin and Hamilton. You'd think Burke would think twice before trading his first.

Ballard and Tanev are not both better than Franson. To evaluate Franson, you have to keep 2 things in mind: a) he's a right handed shot (which we have 2 of currently on our back-end) and he was badly misused last year by the leafs and still had 21 pts in 57 games. Toronto stockpiled on D and then he was playing in rotation, largely because he was a newcomer to the team. In Nashville, he was a stud up and comer, groomed in their D development ways that has pumped out D men over the years like a factory. And he's only 25 years old and is a solid 2 way dman. (And the Weber connection couldn't hurt come next year as OP mentioned).

Tanev may have more upside than him, and Ballard should but hasn't to date. I am hoping for both Ballard and Tanev to improve this year because I want to see both succeed and think they have the tools to do so. That being said, there's a reason Gillis said today on the radio he would have liked to bring back Salo on top of signing Garrison - need for defensive depth.

The biggest issue however is that is it realistic to think we could get more in return than what the OP proposed: a high rated forward prospect who meets our long-term need (3rd line center with size), a young NHL dman with top 4 potential, and possibly a first round pick. Realistically, from Florida, Toronto or even Tampa (if indeed they are still in the running at all) who is the best roster player we could get right now that meets an immediate need in our line-up? Versteeg? Purcell? Lecavalier? Connolly?

Edited by Steve Kariya, 04 July 2012 - 01:38 AM.

Players to still sign for Canuck's upcoming season:
Brandon Reid, Bill Muckalt, Fedor Fedorov, Harold Druken, and... Steve Kariya!

#21 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. ^^ lol

Posted Image

#22 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

My personal opinion is that if Vancouver is able to acquire Franson, Tanev becomes a bargaining chip for Weber.
(Franson + Hamhuis good friends of his)

Tanev, Edler, 1st, 1st and one of either Booth/Raymond/Hansen/Higgins
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#23 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

My personal opinion is that if Vancouver is able to acquire Franson, Tanev becomes a bargaining chip for Weber.
(Franson + Hamhuis good friends of his)

Tanev, Edler, 1st, 1st and one of either Booth/Raymond/Hansen/Higgins

Although I would take that trade in a heart beat, Weber will be a free agent next season.. It would be safer to wait until then, if he wants to come here he will on his own accord. Then we won't have to give up Edler, who would be an absolute beast on the first PP unit with Weber. *Drools*

Posted Image

#24 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

Kinda liked it, although I wouldn't want to get Semin, he's cancer... :P

I also want Tanev as a regular. I also find it unlikely that MG will throw $100 million at Weber next year, face it; were not getting him.

Anyways, good post :)

#25 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Kinda liked it, although I wouldn't want to get Semin, he's cancer... :P

I also want Tanev as a regular. I also find it unlikely that MG will throw $100 million at Weber next year, face it; were not getting him.

Anyways, good post :)

Thank you. :) Yeah, I now think that Semin will be going to either Detroit or New Jersey after seeing what happened with Suter and Parise... Hopefully we get Doan at least, as for Weber I could actually see MG doing that-- Weber is a game changer, from BC and would definitely be more than worth the money! :towel:

Posted Image

#26 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thank you. :) Yeah, I now think that Semin will be going to either Detroit or New Jersey after seeing what happened with Suter and Parise... Hopefully we get Doan at least, as for Weber I could actually see MG doing that-- Weber is a game changer, from BC and would definitely be more than worth the money! :towel:

I wouldn't risk it, I mean, 13 years?? The Dallas Stars won the cup 13 years ago, Joe Nieuwendyk won the Conn Smythe, Minnesota, Columbus and Atlanta didn't have teams in the league. Times change.

#27 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

I wouldn't risk it, I mean, 13 years?? The Dallas Stars won the cup 13 years ago, Joe Nieuwendyk won the Conn Smythe, Minnesota, Columbus and Atlanta didn't have teams in the league. Times change.

Some players are just worth holding on to for a long while, Weber included. Poile knows it, the whole city of Nashville knows it, and I think it's safe to say that almost every single Canucks fan knows it. lol Think Lidstrom or Broduer, some players are just keepers for their whole career. Weber would be an instant fan favourite and quite frankly, already is. He would do wonders for Alex Edler's defensive game, can you say two Norris candidates anyone? B)

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 04 July 2012 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image

#28 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

Some players are just worth holding on to for a long while, Weber included. Poile knows it, the whole city of Nashville knows it, and I think it's safe to say that almost every single Canucks fan knows it. lol Think Lidstrom or Broduer, some players are just keepers for their whole career. Weber would be an instant fan favourite and quite frankly, already is. He would do wonders for Alex Edler's defensive game, can you say two Norris candidates anyone? B)

Maybe you're right... But I don't like contracts that are more than five years long...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.