Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

UFC 148 - Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen - Saturday, July. 7

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#91 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Damn, what an awesome day for the UFC today and I can't tell you guys how much this main event got me hooked back to the UFC.

Silva is the champ, Sonnen's the closest that's ever got to him. I know I was going for Sonnen, but you guys I know I didn't care if he lost - I said it earlier, I could care less if he loses, Sonnen's just a beast and I love him. His personality is great, he's the hardest trainer I've ever seen - swear to God - and it's something I enjoy seeing in him and I admire.

Sonnen's a role model to me, so is Silva, and I just love the guy, plain and simple. I never have hated Silva and never will - he is the best fighter the conpany's ever had and even though he is neutral to in my eyes/ someone I don't hate, I honestly wasn't following this sport since UFC 117 when it was Sliva vs Sonnen 1. Sonnen lit the switch for UFC fans world wide and it showed this UFC - most weigh in views, a million more. Most views the week leading up. Most views on the day of the event. Most media ever involved....Sonnen single handily put UFC back on the map with Silva today.

Sonnen is a cocky guy, but hey, you can say anything leading up to a fight until its over with, and it's exactly what he did. Afterwards, he was loyal and humble and you all saw it. The guy really is a great guy - I've met him before, latest 4 months ago when I was at a personal camp of his - but people just don't see it due to the media. He'll say he hates this guy that guy etc, but when you ask him later, he'll tell you he likes everyone but does it cause he can - its just leading up to a fight, that's all.

For you ignorant people that will still bash Sonnen, go for it, will tell us a lot about yourselves so don't be judging cause you weren't the one(s) fighting, only fighters get to do the talking and afterwards, they'll take it like men and it showed again today.

Love Sonnen with all my heart, guy is my role model for training and fighting, and I look forward to meeting him 7-9 weeks for another meetup with him. And for everyone saying he won't retire - obviously he's not: he is a man and is willing to retire, but after all these record breaking numbers today, Dana won't let him retire and will want to keep him / that's why he won't retire cause Dana won't let him, and you can take this for what it is cause Chael told me last time we met...

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#92 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Edited by The Sedin's 6th Sense, 08 July 2012 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#93 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Edited by The Sedin's 6th Sense, 08 July 2012 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#94 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

He does NOT have the tools to beat a healthy Silva.

LOL, stfu, seriously. Not trying/wanting to start a cyber fight, but if you really mean that, your just a biased Silva fan and can't look at the reality of things, just like most Canucks fans...

Tell me why he doesn't have the tools to beat him? He controlled the whole first round and only lost cause he was willing to take a chance which ended up screwing him....lol, pathetic response. His wrestling is a tool that can single handedly beat Silva, but obviously wasn't good enough this time.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#95 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

http://mmaint.com/uf...livestream.html

link to replay for those who missed it : )

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#96 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Post-fight interviews, starts somewhere at 15:00 I believe.

...If you still say Sonnen is an ass after watching this, I'm sorry but I'll have no respect for you cause Chael does have respect after a fight is done with and you should to..

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#97 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

What? Don't make it seem as if Chael was moving away from Anderson and didn't want to lose - he dominated the whole match! I don't know what you were watching if you think Sonnen was
Sonnen kicked his @ss and gave him the whooping of his life! He put Silva on the ground longer than all the fighters combined that fought Anderson. And again, to think Sonnen was "trying to hold on", that's just ridiculous....he never gave back and was ontop of him even during the last seconds of the fight....don't make bs excuses...

His testosterone levels were through the roof, no excuse there. Sonnen is a moron and can't hold a candle to Silva's superior skill.

#98 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

LOL, stfu, seriously. Not trying/wanting to start a cyber fight, but if you really mean that, your just a biased Silva fan and can't look at the reality of things, just like most Canucks fans...

Tell me why he doesn't have the tools to beat him? He controlled the whole first round and only lost cause he was willing to take a chance which ended up screwing him....lol, pathetic response. His wrestling is a tool that can single handedly beat Silva, but obviously wasn't good enough this time.

Silva's 2-0 against Sonnen. So what does that make you??
Posted Image

#99 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

He did nothing in the first round except get the take down. And the only reason he lost, isn't cause he was willing to take a chance, it was because he couldn't take Silva down.
Posted Image

#100 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Sonnen may be one of the best wrestlers but he is a terrible fighter in the upright position.

#101 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

I wonder if theses match ups will be remembered decades later and be the UFC's Ali / FRAIZER ?

#102 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,992 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

I can watch this all day.

Posted Image

I would be as terrified as Sonnen looked if I was on my ass with Anderson looking down on me like that...

Edited by trav_have, 08 July 2012 - 07:10 PM.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#103 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,372 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Rishad Evans would be one the only guy who has all of the tools necessary to beat silva.

The main tool is he's not going to reject the fight by playing the "friend" card like Jon DUI Jones.

Subbancopy.jpg

#104 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

im so glad that sonnen prick lost. those who talk a lot usually get F'ed over. SILVA FTW.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#105 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,992 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Rishad Evans would be one the only guy who has all of the tools necessary to beat silva.

The main tool is he's not going to reject the fight by playing the "friend" card like Jon DUI Jones.

I see Silva KOing Evans just like how Machida did.

x1vXIze.png

small.pngCDCEHL

#106 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Jon Jones Vs. Silva
Posted Image

#107 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

Jones would probably beat Silva .. and Jones destroyed sugar in their fight wasn't even close
Posted Image

#108 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Jon Jones Vs. Silva

Jones (205) would have to move down in weight class or Silva (185) move up or ... each move 10lbs.

#109 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Jones (205) would have to move down in weight class or Silva (185) move up or ... each move 10lbs.

......It would make more sense for St Pierre to gain some weight and Silva lose some.
So that he can kick Georges a$$ which is why George will probably never fight him.

#110 Spyrocks

Spyrocks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Not sure why Sonnen went for that spinning back fist. He took a chance with it but things like that are hard to pull off in a normal fight let alone against Silva. He was looking good while he was sticking to his guns and wrestling. He might have wore Silva down with another few rounds of that. But he got stuffed once and decided to go off the board and payed for it. Hopefully he will be back and not take this loss to hard, he is great for the UFC. I still wanted Silva to win though. Some people might find a fight like that boring but thats why GSP is such a successful fighter. He makes a plan that plays with his strengths and doesnt deviate even though it might not get him the KO but it gets him the win. In the end it was an amazing night for the UFC. Cant wait to see who Silva fights next or Sonnen for that matter.

#111 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

c'mon man you have a sig for the guy and still spelled his name wrong..

#112 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,372 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Jones would probably beat Silva .. and Jones destroyed sugar in their fight wasn't even close

Jones would probably beat Silva, because of his wrestling. But they will never fight because they're bff.

Sugar has great wrestling just like Sonnen, but he also has KO power. If he isn't stupid and doesn't stand like he did with Machida he'll win.

Edited by playboi19, 09 July 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#113 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,992 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Not sure why Sonnen went for that spinning back fist. He took a chance with it but things like that are hard to pull off in a normal fight let alone against Silva. He was looking good while he was sticking to his guns and wrestling. He might have wore Silva down with another few rounds of that. But he got stuffed once and decided to go off the board and payed for it. Hopefully he will be back and not take this loss to hard, he is great for the UFC. I still wanted Silva to win though. Some people might find a fight like that boring but that's why GSP is such a successful fighter. He makes a plan that plays with his strengths and doesn't deviate even though it might not get him the KO but it gets him the win. In the end it was an amazing night for the UFC. Can't wait to see who Silva fights next or Sonnen for that matter.

When Silva first put his hands down, Sonnen hit him with a pretty good straight. I'm guessing Chael had all this confidence and thought he had it in him to pull something like that off on Silva. Obviously not, as Silva dodged pretty easily.

x1vXIze.png

small.pngCDCEHL

#114 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Isnt Silva kinda like the bully fighting smaller men?
He should be in the weight class above, He won both of those fights too.
He should be kicked out of His weight class,
I think he stays in it for the Glory and $ and not the challange and sportsmanship?.
To suggest GSP fight him is not fair to GSP. He is actually 3 weight classes down from Silva in my opinion
To me he is like the "ultimate" sandbagger.
Obviously,not everyone will agree,as we all have our own opinions,This is only my opinion

#115 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Isnt Silva kinda like the bully fighting smaller men?
He should be in the weight class above, He won both of those fights too.
He should be kicked out of His weight class,
I think he stays in it for the Glory and $ and not the challange and sportsmanship?.
To suggest GSP fight him is not fair to GSP. He is actually 3 weight classes down from Silva in my opinion
To me he is like the "ultimate" sandbagger.
Obviously,not everyone will agree,as we all have our own opinions,This is only my opinion

Don't most fighters cut weight?

Silva looks scrawnier than Sonnen face to face.
Posted Image

#116 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Don't most fighters cut weight?

Silva looks scrawnier than Sonnen face to face.

A.S. is 6'2" and most muscular athletes at that height will easily be over 200 lbs, even with a lanky frame. AS in shape is around 215 -225 which makes him a natural LHW. (since weight cutting assumes 'natural' is one class above) Silva seems skinny at MW, but his frame quite naturally fills out with more muscle as it does when he is not dieting. In fact, if Silva filled out like GSP with muscle, I believe his frame could hold 240 lbs. (in shape) When he fought Griffin or Irvin, no sane fan would claim he looked smaller by comparison to either fighter.

GSP at 5'10" is not as lanky and more compact, and appears to walk around at close to his natural maximum weight. (in shape) GSP is medium sized in his division compared to John Fitch, Thiago Alves, Dan Hardy etc.
If GSP moved up to MW, he would be on the smaller side for most MWs, while when Silva moved up, he seemed a natural LHW and did not seem undersized.

A.S.is a Professional and should be a sportsman and move on to bigger challanges.
Playing Sports,You should want to push Yourself to be better
Its like Gretzky playing in the AHL/KHL ( Why? when he could dominate the NHL too)
Quit sandbagging,forget Your ego,and try and dominate the next class

Edited by ba;;isticsports, 10 July 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#117 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

A.S. is 6'2" and most muscular athletes at that height will easily be over 200 lbs, even with a lanky frame. AS in shape is around 215 -225 which makes him a natural LHW. (since weight cutting assumes 'natural' is one class above) Silva seems skinny at MW, but his frame quite naturally fills out with more muscle as it does when he is not dieting. In fact, if Silva filled out like GSP with muscle, I believe his frame could hold 240 lbs. (in shape) When he fought Griffin or Irvin, no sane fan would claim he looked smaller by comparison to either fighter.

GSP at 5'10" is not as lanky and more compact, and appears to walk around at close to his natural maximum weight. (in shape) GSP is medium sized in his division compared to John Fitch, Thiago Alves, Dan Hardy etc.
If GSP moved up to MW, he would be on the smaller side for most MWs, while when Silva moved up, he seemed a natural LHW and did not seem undersized.

A.S.is a Professional and should be a sportsman and move on to bigger challanges.
Playing Sports,You should want to push Yourself to be better
Its like Gretzky playing in the AHL/KHL ( Why? when he could dominate the NHL too)
Quit sandbagging,forget Your ego,and try and dominate the next class

GSP has to cut quite a bit of weight as well, no way he is 3 weight classes lower than Silva. Also, Silva is getting older and going to retire soon. He would need to be fast tracked to a title shot to fight at LHW.

All that being said, I agree he needs to move up for his last few fights, but they need to be against top contenders right away.

#118 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Aw man I lol'd

Posted Image
Posted Image

#119 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Jones would probably beat Silva, because of his wrestling. But they will never fight because they're bff.

Sugar has great wrestling just like Sonnen, but he also has KO power. If he isn't stupid and doesn't stand like he did with Machida he'll win.

The reason I don't like watch Jones fights is because although he is an awesome fighter, he often wins because he's taller and has a longer reach. It's not entertaining to watch for me. I don't like Silva simply because I prefer cheering for the underdog. Sonnen was cocky and I don't normally like that but I just wanna see someone beat Silva. I (like most Canadians) am a big GSP fan, but I don't think he can beat Silva because of the height advantage and reach (only an inch I know but it makes a difference)

Too many fights I see are being won by the taller fighter evading the shorter fighter until he can pick a spot. I still watch but it's not really a fair figght
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.