The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Workout Routine (Suggestions?)

Salter

King of the ES, I think you honestly need to switch a letter to B. (All in good fun, your name just made it too easy) ;)

Anyhow, is this one of the guys you're promoting? Looks like his program could use some adjusting to me as he's not the ideal poster boy for overall fitness in my mind.

(Mark Rippetoe?)

DSC_0067.jpg

BTW:

If anyone wants to do a SERIOUS diet/exercise routine with me, respond in this thread or PM me. I wouldn't mind sharing what I'm doing now with others. It's not Starting Strength, either. But it is highly advanced. You can expect to lose a minimum of 1 lb. of fat per week, without muscle loss. Requirements:

-Must be disciplined, gym access 4X per week.

-Must be able to count calories/macronutrients

-Must do the program EXACTLY as it is written. Do not question me. Quite frankly, I'm a lot smarter than you.

I can't believe the ignorance towards a powerlifting guru like Mark Rippetoe.

The guy was a former ELITE power lifter and now doesn't devote his life to his gains/strength or having an aesthetic body, he now devotes it to passing on his (very extensive) lifting knowledge on to others.

Current competitors and power lifters sing high praise for Rippetoe and I do, as well. After a de-load week I like to watch his form videos on YouTube to brush up on my own form because the guy is spot on.

King of the ES - You are wasting your time...People out there still believe you need 5-6 meals a day in order to avoid 'starvation mode' Just the other day I was in an argument because I don't eat breakfast (I do Intermittent Fasting) and I was told "Oh, well breakfast is the most important meal of the day" I just lol'd and shook my head.

Most don't realize it comes down to calories in vs. calories out. You clearly know what you are talking about and I understand how frustrating ignorance and broscience can be!

:)

The guy was a former ELITE power lifter and now doesn't devote his life to his gains/strength or having an aesthetic body, he now devotes it to passing on his (very extensive) lifting knowledge on to others.

Current competitors and power lifters sing high praise for Rippetoe and I do, as well. After a de-load week I like to watch his form videos on YouTube to brush up on my own form because the guy is spot on.

King of the ES - You are wasting your time...People out there still believe you need 5-6 meals a day in order to avoid 'starvation mode' Just the other day I was in an argument because I don't eat breakfast (I do Intermittent Fasting) and I was told "Oh, well breakfast is the most important meal of the day" I just lol'd and shook my head.

Most don't realize it comes down to calories in vs. calories out. You clearly know what you are talking about and I understand how frustrating ignorance and broscience can be!

I just do IF without calorie cycling now, I actually follow Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program which fits into my lifestyle a lot better and just makes more sense. Only on my 2nd cycle now, I stripped all my lifts down to ridiculously light and now just working up from a solid starting point.

Nothing better than eating 2 x 1,000 calorie meals a day and not feeling bad about it!

The point I was making was that the average kid who wants to bulk up a bit can likely do so without have to dive into the deep end of all of this from the onset. Wade in, develop a familiarity with things and let it develop from there. Most who are passionate will incorporate their fitness" into a lifestyle and it just becomes part of the daily routine.

But some of the advice was slamming him (the OP) for even getting started - but it starts there...at the start.

My point in posting that picture was to demonstrate that using power lifting gurus to set the tone may be slightly unrealistic and hard to maintain for the average joe/kid. Set someone up to fail in not accomplishing the same end result and, possibly, being too much for a beginner. So why not just let him incorporate an overall fitness routine in and then take it from there? Let him add to it in a gradual increase over time that gets him into a habit vs plunging into the deep end without knowing how to swim? It could scare some off to think that this is the only route - that you have to follow one specific path that is rigorous and "the only way". If you're focusing on being a competitive power lifter - yes. But, for the average kid who wants to put on some muscle and change his body tone a little - why not incorporate a program that's both within his starting reach and that might encourage him for a lifetime? Let him grow into it as it becomes an every day thing vs a fad.

And, whether someone's passing the torch and simply sharing knowledge or not - the overall physique/state of health in Rippetoe's before/afters may demonstrate just that - that this is something that won't be maintained over a lifetime and, unless you are going into a competitive situation that it isn't the best long term deal? I'm not into that end of things (obviously), as a female. But it just makes sense to want to carry something past your prime if possible and perhaps focusing on being massive isn't the only way?

Archived