The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captain vs. Captain

whytelight

Personally, I don't really like the hit. I agree it was a turning point.

Somehow it seems dirty... but legal. Like he gets them right before they turn so there's no split second time to dodge it.

Look at his hit on Parise. It's basically the same.

Though it's an unreal skill for timing, he's definitely got it down.

Also he's choosing to do it on guys who don't hit hard. Seems cheap. Then again, it's the playoffs.

Someone should have knocked his head off for that one.

Well I definitely don't doubt the man's talent. -No doubt he deserved the cup.

I was more talking about this particular kind of hit.

It's these kind of hits that the Hanks won't throw. Probably out of integrity it could be argued.

A big reason I imagine being that if you try to throw them hard, you'll have to take them too.

I think when the playoffs kick in, The brothers get trampled by hits that they don't otherwise take during the regular season.

People in here are talking about why they don't retaliate and how they should once in a while.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who admires them for choosing to play a skill game, in a league and fan base that mostly reward brute force way more in the finals than they do in a regular season.

That's what seems cheap I guess.

Anyhow, All I'm sayin, is a Vancouver vs Tampa finals would have been waaaaaay better hockey to watch than the Boston series. We probably would have taken it too.

Brown takes it and dishes it. It's why he looks like his whole face is mangled. Grit and force, isn't a Sedin game, but I love them anyways.

I don't see it so clean cut as

legal hit - no retaliation

illegal hit - shinnanigans

Some dirty plays are best answered with a PP goal, dominant play, facewash and gentle slash. Others should bring a hefty consequence.

Just the same, a legal check can't always be ignored because it was legal. The intent to injure can just as easily exist in a clean check as an illegal one. Bottom line, Brown saw Hank engaged, lined him up from a track like distance and nailed him. No doubt in my mind he passes on that hit if it's anyone other than H.Sedin. I can see him running Hanks head through the board had he not turned around at the last second. He took the risk of a major penalty, possible serious injury and a suspension, but Brown new a twinless Canucks is a swept Canucks. That to me is no cleaner than Keith on Daniel, the only difference is that the league leaves him on the ice for us to exact our own justice.

Sure Mr. Patriarchal and Condascening. Ok want to get to semantics? Winning - well I consider getting your team to the finals, winning awards etc = WINNING

But I will BOW to your knowledge

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

I have more hockey knowledge in my left toe than you have in your entire being.

FInished.

To start things off, I am in no was bashing our leadership group. Henrik Sedin is as classy, honest, and fair as Captains get. The leadership he showed after the Brown hit was akin to Trevor Linden.

However, when I saw our Captain get hit by their Captain I knew that was perhaps a turning point in the series. What got me upset even more, is the non-response from our team AFTER the hit. Who went looking for retribution after the hit? I didn't see any.

Now, I do understand that the coaches dictate player performance and behaviours on the ice and that might have been the message sent ("just play hockey guys, focus on the game, etc...)

But, in my opinon, I would have loved our Captain to have taken out the other Captain in the same manner.

Bud it was clean, even Henrik said it. Its a contact sport, you do that. I played football growing up and hockey into my 20's of course you take the oppty to hit the best player on the other team (clean) if he opens himself up to it, its called intimidation and part of sport.

Not sure why you're complaining about a clean hit that neither drew a penalty, any issue with the league and one in which the player who was hit stated it was clean.

This isn't a sport for sissys. Do you not want hitting in the league? thats a different issue. Keith - a different issue.

Other players trying to get into a fight or landing cheap shots after a perfectly good hit is disgusting and not hockey. A good hit is a good hit, leave it at that.

The proper way to seek revenge would be to target Brown with heavy hits, particularly from our defence who are matched up against him, or to score on him when he's on the ice. The Canucks did neither.

Have other teams taken on Brown after a gig hit. Yes.

Has it caused Brown to change his game? Not at all.

Has it stopped Torres? Nope.

Has Ballard stopped hip checking? Nope.

Has changed any big hitters game? Nope.

I honestly think that the desire for "a response" to a big hit has more to do making you feel better than anything sensible related to the game. It does not change the way those hitters play. It typically just hands them a PP opportunity.

The Sedins are the types of players that do no need to respond. It's not within their skillset.

Not comparing him to Gretzky obviously but similar styles of play when it comes to physicality. That kind of response is up to their team mates. However, a little grit now and then would certainly fire the team up, only because it is seen so rarely.

Archived