The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

And people have strong reasons to believe that Doan would make the Canucks better. Likewise, some people also have strong reasons to believe that our D-core is better than Phoenix's, reasons that extend beyond basic stats and into the realm of intangibles. But for some reason, you have a hard time acknowledging their unfalisifiable hypotheses.

I thought we were comparing Garrison to Klesla. Stop putting words in my mouth. Klesla is a stay at home d-man so points don't matter for him. and Garrison is... hell who knows he's had one good season at the old age of 27! Klesla has been around significantly longer and Garrison has had one 33 point season, which really isn't all that special. Again you lose there.

More hits doesn't make you a better defenseman. Niedermayer (not comparing to Yandle) wasn't a hitter, but he is still one of the greatest d-man of all time. And the way I see it, they are both OFD's so points is how I compare the two. But that's just me.

Maybe on paper we're a more rounded team, but we sure as hell didn't prove it this year. The Coyotes were 15 million under the cap last year and still made it to the conference finals. You can make excuses about who they played, but the fact is, they got that far and the Canucks did not. Plain and simple.

And no, I am not a Yotes "homer". I am a Canucks fan, but most importantly, I am an unbiased hockey fan which is more than I can say for a lot of people around here.

if our D-core was as good as the Coyotes, we win the cup. They have better depth, why can't you admit that? Proving their D-core is better than ours is not an unfalsifiable hypothesis because there are stats that back up that claim.

Well if you wanna compare players right now, Garrison is better than either Roszival or Klesla. Cause we're not going to compare them based on past stats, and we can't compare them on future stats, because that's impossible. So the only thing we can do is compare them on each of their most recent seasons. And the reality is Garrison has better stats than either of them, both points wise and advanced stats wise.

Oh and just so you know, Garrison is actually a shutdown defenseman too who happened to score alot of goals on the powerplay this season. If you look at his advanced stats you would realize he's actually one of the more underrated shutdown defensemen in the league.

Well my point was, when two defenseman are as close as they are in PPG totals over 4 seasons, you have to look at other intangibles such as hitting, blocking shots, takeaways, and giveaways. You know, thing that make a good well rounded defenseman. Edler is far superior in every single category.

That's what I like about stats. They're unbiased, because they're factual evidence. And if you simply compare the stats of our defenseman vs there's, the facts speak for themselves. Maybe you should look into more advanced stats next time though.

And as far as the Coyotes making it farther than us, good for them. Whether you think it's an excuse or not, the Canucks had a shortened summer, still managed to win the president's trophy, and lost their top player right before the playoffs. I dunno about you, but I'm willing to say this season was just not in the cards for them to win a cup.

Fail ! To say stats are there you have to take every form of stat and cross analyze not just PTs or +/- got to add takeaways giveaways etc ! None of us are able to use the stats to calculate such things as such we all will carry opinion and twist said stats to work in favor and put more weight on importance of the stat that helps our arguement ! Slow hockey news time !

You can't prove either of those things, but that's my point. They're both unfalsifiable hypotheses. I can't prove or disprove that Doan would make the Canucks better or that Nash and Ryan would make the Coyotes cup contenders even though I have strong reason to believe that they would.

Oh man, you just won't budge on this Garrison thing. Wade Redden also had a good season once. Where is he now? There is a reason Klesla has been in the NHL for a decade now. Until Garrison puts together a string of good season's, Klesla is the better d-man. But hey, agree to disagree I guess.

Oh man, you just won't budge on this Garrison thing. Wade Redden also had a good season once. Where is he now? There is a reason Klesla has been in the NHL for a decade now. Until Garrison puts together a string of good season's, Klesla is the better d-man. But hey, agree to disagree I guess.

Archived