The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

We won't get him. MG wouldn't even offer Salo a 3 year deal and he was basically a Canuck forever.

Some idiot in the east will offer him 5-6 million per year for 4 years a la Ryan Smyth. This is Doan's last contract and he has to cash in.

He won't base his decision on whether he wants to win a cup or not. If that was truely important to him he would have left Phoenix long ago.

The Canucks may have an ace up their sleeve. At least, they have a pretty good in. Laurence Gilman, the Canucks assistant general manager, has a personal relationship with Doan established during his 13 years with the Phoenix Coyotes/Winnipeg Jets organization.

"I've known Shane since he was 19 years old and I have a lot of respect for him," Gilman said. "We've definitely stayed in touch over the years."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+want+Coyotes+winger+Shane+Doan+other+teams/6907096/story.html#ixzz20BN9I7ul

Interesting little tidbit. That actually makes me think we have a good chance.

In my opinion, if we were to sign Doan, we would need to make a trade first to open up cap space. Say we sign Doan to a deal worth $5 million; that would put us over the salary cap. Assuming a trade involving Luongo, it would be hard to get a great return as we would need to dump salary before the start of the season. This would seemingly give prospective teams leverage in trade negotiations, so we would not receive the best possible return.

According to CapGeek.com, the Canucks currently have $3,046,667 to spend until they hit the cap limit.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=29

In my opinion, if we were to sign Doan, we would need to make a trade first to open up cap space. Say we sign Doan to a deal worth $5 million; that would put us over the salary cap. Assuming a trade involving Luongo, it would be hard to get a great return as we would need to dump salary before the start of the season. This would seemingly give prospective teams leverage in trade negotiations, so we would not receive the best possible return.

According to CapGeek.com, the Canucks currently have $3,046,667 to spend until they hit the cap limit.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=29

Might be an ignorant post, but won't we have too many forwards?

Sedins - Burrows

X- Kesler - X

Higgins - X - Hansen

Volpatti- Lapierre - Pinizzotto

Raymond, Booth, Malholtra, Kassian, and Doan competing for the top 9?

How will we be able to give Kassian to develop if he's outside the top 9 role.

Might be an ignorant post, but won't we have too many forwards?

Sedins - Burrows

X- Kesler - X

Higgins - X - Hansen

Volpatti- Lapierre - Pinizzotto

Raymond, Booth, Malholtra, Kassian, and Doan competing for the top 9?

How will we be able to give Kassian to develop if he's outside the top 9 role.

I think GoNucks74 makes a very valid point.

According to CapGeeks, the Canucks have $3M of cap space.

If they sign Doan for $5M per year, they are over the cap by $2M. Sure Luongo goes, but there will be players coming back in that deal so that likely won't free up that much cap room.

Kesler goes on LTIR, but he's coming back at some point (at a pro-rated amount). If he misses half the season he's still a cap hit of $2.5M (versus $5M for the entire year).

All of this and we still don't have a back up goalie on the roster and Burrows is badly underpaid ($2M per) and his contract is up after this year.

This is part of the reason I'm a believer they just trade Luo for a few draft picks as freeing up the cap space he's occupying (so we can sign a guy like Doan) is just as valuable as trading for someone of value.

Depending on the amount of money we spend on our players, we may not be able to sign another. I personally think about things in terms of cap space because it is such an important part of the game, it factors in trading and signing players. We wouldn't really want to see MG spend 7mil+ on a player worth less, no?

^ Keep it civil folks. No need to resort to personal attacks/ad hominems.

I'd definitely love to have Doan if the price is right. The number of teams on his short list is likely in the single digits, so if Phx is out, we've got a decent chance of landing him.

That said, if we don't we're fine. We can always go with the trade route and there are still a couple of decent free agents.

Archived