The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else feel bad for Gillis?

Peaches

No, that's not how a deterrent works at all.

He doesn't need to be on the ice. The point is that the other team sees him on our team, and because of his presence, they're DETERRED from trying to pull any liberties with us. Because they're aware that the guy on the other bench will smash them. Did you ever see Gino on the PP with Pavel? It was the knowledge that he was there which was enough. Heck, look at George Parros, who was priority #1 for a lot of fans on this site this year. He plays 5 minutes per night. I'm not too high on him, personally, but he's probably one of the better policemen in the league.

The guy doesn't have to be on the ice, which is where you and others have it all wrong. Pretty simple. If we have a nasty, bad MFer who ain't gonna stand for our stars to be blatantly disrespected and essentially hunted, and if Keith still does that Daniel, he goes out, and he does something equivalent to, say, Pat Sharp. Brent Seabrook. Whoever. Point is, the Hawks wronged us, and they're gonna pay. Other teams will see this, and it'll make them think twice.

And, please, Ivy League Aaron Volpatti is not the answer. Kassian might turn out to be effective at this, but he's a long ways away, as it stands now, still looks like a deer in headlights at this point.

I don't necessarily disagree with you at all actually. We differ about Shannon as I don't think he's as bad as you think he is and my point about Ellington was more that in retrospect Pahls did very little for this team.

Sturm was what he was. I wouldn't put that try out signing in as bad a category as Schaefer. Schaefer was much worse than Sturm. I elluded to him when talking about Morrison.

I would say the Johnson signing wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. He wasn't bad in the circle but he was good with the blocked shots. He was a meh guy on the team.

Where we disagree the most is your use of the word dislike. Even going along with everything you said and I said in terms of mistakes I don't dislike him as a GM. The good has outweighed the bad but I think one has to be able to see the forest for the trees. This team is far superior to the team he took over. He kept the right guys and got rid of the right guys more often than not.I liked Nonis and wanted to see him carry out his 5 year plan but having said that...Gillis > Nonis. We'll see if he can do better than Burke but I think a good argument can be made that he's already built a better team. (and before all you come at me with Gullus Uzed Nunis nd Berkz pieces go find me a GM who built a contending team purely on their own draft picks. When you get handed a puzzle you don't credit the company that built the pieces when you put it together.)

These are all totally different circumstances.

I'm not talking about "injuries", I'm talking about a sheer lack of respect towards the opponent. The video that you showed were, predominantly, good, clean hits. Aaron Rome on Nate Horton was mostly a good, clean hit.

Show me some video of a defenceman blatantly targeting one of Boston's star players with his elbow, with an intent to injure, and concussing him. That was not the case with Cooke on Savard. Show me some video of Joe Thornton shoving his hand in Iginla's face when they're both debating with the ref. Things like these show a complete and total lack of respect, and, really, sheer disgust, for the Canucks. We need a guy who will ensure that we get respect. And if we're not given respect, it's beaten into someone else on the other team. Christ, somebody on Chicago should've left the ice a bloody mess after what happened to Daniel. But, nope, no pushback at all. "We beat them on the PP" - horseshat.

Nobody cares about what Gillis' best chance was. Holmgren had let everyone know that the offer sheet was coming if he wasn't traded before Date X. So how "close" was Gillis, really? The answer is not at all.

Once the offer sheet was sent, which Gillis knew was coming, Holmgren had anywhere from a 1% - 50% chance of getting Weber. Gillis had a 0% chance.

Gump,I know this may be over your attention span but Daniel Sedin has already suffered a concussion.

No payback.No pushback.Nada.Just a head injured superstar one more head injury away from early retirement.

This team has nobody on line one and two that acts as a deterrent or that opens up the ice for the stars.

This is not the 70's,Gump. The Sedins and Kes need protection and the ice opened up last year and the year before and next year,as well.

The fact is Gillis has not addressed it.Period.

Your idea that Kassian is going to help the Sedins is hilarious.Kassian is now a fourth line NHL'er and nobody is scared of the guy.

What is needed is first and second line guys that provides deterrence/pushback/opens up the ice,not some third or fourth liner that barely touches the ice.

And?

At least Holmgren put himself in a position to have a chance. And that's all that I was applauding him for. Nashville took 6 days to make the decision.

Rather than be proactive and TRY, Gillis chose to just sit back and hope that Weber decided to be an utter moron, do something that's not at all in his best interests and sign a 1-year deal, then become a UFA in 2013 and fall into the Canucks' lap for nothing.

Poile was also fielding trade offers before Philly submitted their offer sheet.

Archived