The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The plan?

hotelierhockey

TWO POINTS:

(i)

Seems all other teams are making moves to improve. What about the Nucks? Hope they just dont think coz of 2 Presidents trophies, no fixes are needed. We ALWAYS need to improve: (1) to keep pace with other teams, (2) to acknowledge our guys get older every year. So what's being done???

I would like MG to start to use his younger players.

We draft these guys for a reason. Schroeder will be an RFA next year and he has never played an NHL game

I am also assuming so will Yann Sauve and hes played about 6 games.

As much as we need to go for a run right now, we also need to develop our youngsters.

I would like to see Kassian, Schroeder, Caunnation and Sauve in the mix this year.

TWO POINTS:

(i)

Seems all other tems are making moves to improve. What about the Nucks? Hope they just dont think coz of 2 Presidents trophies, no fixes are needed. We ALWAYS need to improve: (1) to keep pace with other teams, (2) to acknowledge our guys get older every year. So what's being done???

(ii)

Now, not necessarily a solution, but when I read this about Semin, I thought Canucks would be a potential fit:

What is the right fit for Semin in the NHL?

It has to be a team that needs offense, but one that can surround Semin with veteran players capable of holding others accountable. A strong-willed coach/coaching staff willing to forget about Semin's reputation and give him a chance to build a new one also should be a priority. An organization with a history of success to prove to Semin that he has to adapt to it, not the other way around, would be beneficial, as well.

Thoughts???

So I guess Nashville improved by signing a big name in Weber... or did they? You know, considering they already had him.

I guess Philly's better off now too with all those players they went after, and Detroit has a bunch of veterans coming back for another year and not leaving big holes in their lineup. Ah, no need to go through any other teams cause they surely improved way more than the Canucks.

There are teams that he might thrive in. imo Vancouver isn't one of them. Semin would be roasted alive here.

Meanwhile, his contract (he's likely asking for long-term $6mil per deal) would become an instant anchor.

If he still wants to play in the NHL, he might have to accept a 1yr deal and put together a good season.

Jason Garisson might have something to say about this. I believe that we have done well so far this off-season. All that's left is the wait on the Doan signing, and the likely trade of Roberto Luongo. I believe the pieces coming back in the Luongo trade, with or without the signing of a player such as Doan, will be enough to have made some changes that will bring us one more step towards Lord Stanley's Cup.

My girlfriend is a Canucks fan too and she likes Semin....Says he has a cool name.

Every year I have her pick a team for my hockey pool that I enter and she just goes with the players names she likes and you know what - last year she won the pool!

Maybe she is onto something here...

Gillis just forget the fact that Semin is lazy and not a good teammate and has had a point decline the last 2 years and sign him - he does have talent.

Semin on the back of a Canucks jersey could add more Canucks fans like my girlfriend and thus bring in more profits from team merchandise, tickets, etc.

If you look at it this way the risk is worth the finacial reward.

My only regret is that we still dont have Shane O'Brien - Imagine if he had Semin as his wingman at the Roxy. What fun they would have had!

Get R Done MG.

Jason Garisson might have something to say about this. I believe that we have done well so far this off-season. All that's left is the wait on the Doan signing, and the likely trade of Roberto Luongo. I believe the pieces coming back in the Luongo trade, with or without the signing of a player such as Doan, will be enough to have made some changes that will bring us one more step towards Lord Stanley's Cup.

For the record, OP, I think you make a very good point. This team has NOT improved. People who are calling Garrison a "massive upgrade" on Salo are kidding themselves. At this point, it's a lateral move, at best, and I'd think that there's a hell of a lot more downside risk to that pickup than there is upside potential.

Here's the thing: there is NO DOUBT that both Edmonton & Minnesota should be far better hockey teams next year. Calgary is a wild card - I think they've improved, personally, by getting Jokinen out of there, and adding Hudler & Wideman. They've also added a new coach, which adds an element of uncertainty/intrigue for them. They could be good. On paper, they've got a lot of components.

Mike Gillis does need to do more, there's no doubt about it.

I think people are going to like how much more physical Garrison is than Salo. Not to mention that whenever Salo takes a bloody shift you're crossing your fingers.

Salo wasn't the same after the Marchand hit last season, but Garrison would've rolled Marchand on that play.

Is Garrison Weber? Nope. But is he a definite long-term upgrade on Salo? 'NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.'

You're a lucky fella, Dustin 77...enjoy the ride for as long as you can...speaking from experience, as soon as my girlfriend got a taste of our wedding cake, she was no longer a fan of Semin. Maybe it had to do with a three year decline in production.

I think people are over rating Garrison here. I think the only real "upgrade" over Salo he is is because he may stay healthy. Salo was a stud defensively and his slapshot was insanely accurate. From the slapper's I've seen Garrison take most of them are near the bottom half of the net, which are more likely to be blocked or deflected away. So I would think of him more to be relied on defence than offence.

I would agree with King's assessment that the Wild, Oilers, Flames will be better in 2012-2013. Do you think they've done enough to knock Canucks off the NW Division throne, King? My opinion is that they haven't. I expect that the divisional games will be tougher, which is a good thing as it will allow for a Canucks team that is better battle-ready for the playoffs than they were this past season.

Archived