The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Alex Semin

As a Canuck fan, I really like this signing. It makes the SE division that much more of a dog fight.

If you think about it, the best chance to make the post-season in the SE is to win that division (as Florida did last season) and gain the third seed at worst.

Now, with yet another team vying for that top spot, one has to wonder how the Panthers and Bolts are feeling about their suspect goaltending situations, which up until now they have steadfastly claimed to be "comfortable" with.

IMHO, this does nothing but drive up the value of Luongo to the Florida-based teams.

How exactly do you think Semin fits on our team let alone top 6? He doesn't. He's way too soft for our 1st line, it would actually be sad watching the Sedins and Semin get tossed around like ragdolls. 2nd line, he's a shooter, just like Booth and Kesler, how do you think that's going to work out? Reserve your judgement once the Doan and Luongo situations are done. By the way, we're going to make the playoffs.

Yes find someone who can help the TEAM, not just help himself. Semin is a talented player no doubt about it, but it's the fact that this guy only plays when he feels like playing. I'm sorry but that's not the type of player I would want on my team, of course having a player of his caliber will help them win some more games, but if he doesn't have the heart to play every game it's useless in my opinion. Your telling me you would waste 7 Million on a player who picks and chooses which games he wants to play, and take that type of gamble on a team who wants to win a cup, I sure as hell wouldn't.

Do I think Weber is worth what he's being paid? yes I do, because this is the type of player who helps a team and comes to play game in and game out, and is determined to win all the time. As for Shane Doan, he is the same type of player like Weber, he wants to win all the time and plays with his heart, he is the same type of player Trevor Linden was when he played the sport he loved, played with heart and determination, and did everything in his power every game to help his team win. As for what Doan signs for, well he did make 4.5M last year, and if the Canucks were to sign him to 7M I know I'd take him over Semin in a heart beat.

Do I agree with Mike Gillis when he was willing to pay Mats Sundin 10M per year? no not a chance, even with the career he had with Toronto, he was a solid player, just like a Doan, or Linden, or Weber, but it was obvious he had slowed down a lot and wasn't even close to the same caliber player he was before and wasn't worth 10M at all. As for Doan he hasn't really slowed down as fast as Sundin had, and has probably 3 good solid years left in him before you really start seeing a decline in his play, is he worth 10M? no, he is worth 7-8M I think this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a salary cap hit of something like 7-8M the first year, 5-6M the second, and 4-5M the following, if he was to say sign a 3 year contract.

Damn, that's the signing we should have made. One year contract, very low risk.

I think people will finally get their heads out of their asses after this season when they realize how good he is. Then all the idots that question his drive will be exposed. I chalk a lot of that perception up to playing in Washington, that team can make anyone look questionable. He'll probably score 40 again, doesn't matter which Stall he plays with.

I don't know why some people are freaking out. I think it's good a signing. It's a one year deal, very little risk, and Carolina has more than enough cap space and cash to make the move. Why not? With Staal and Semin, Rutherford has added some much needed top-six talent and shown he is serious about competing.

Ruutu - Staal - Semin

Skinner - Staal - Jokinen

or

Staal - Staal - Semin

Skinner - Jokinen - Ruutu

Gives them a dangerous top-six group. Semin is a good player. He's got problems, but he does have talent.

Apparently according to the Canes his public image is rather distorted. If their right and he actually plays and competes this is a stellar signing especially this late into free agency. However by looking at the cap hit and the term, it's easy to see that the Canes are just throwing that out there so the Raleigh fan base won't have controversy over this signing. Even if he produces 25-30 goals this is a solid signing for the Canes, and if they make the playoffs we have to remember anything can happen. Cam Ward became the hero in 2006 i believe over Martin Gerber, so anything can happen.

Semin's a good signing, and I always liked him as a player. Best of luck in Carolina!

The thing is, Ballard isn't worth 4.2 M as a 6th D man. If we were paying all our depth players that much money the Canucks would be a crap team. Why would you use one bad cap hit to justify another? I'd much rather Mike Gillis spend that money on Shane Doan.

you'd rather Gillis spend upwards of 7.5 mill for 4 seasons on a soon to be 36 year old (if that GaM report is true) over spending 7 mill 1 yea for Semin? Maybe Semin wouldn't have played here for 1 year 7 mill, I don't know, but I'd have gone more if thats all it took.

Semin has scored some clutch playoff goals for Washington. Him on a line with Booth and Kesler would have scoring threat written all over it.

I don't think you have a clear understanding of the marketplace for a guy who puts up the points he does, is big and physical, and has solid leadership qualities. The cupboard is bare when it comes to good free agent forwards and there are numerous teams interested. I think he'll get offers in the range he wants, but he may choose a place he prefers most, even if they aren't the biggest offer, but that wouldn't mean he didn't get an offer for the dollars that have been mentioned.

Damn, that's the signing we should have made. One year contract, very low risk.

I think people will finally get their heads out of their asses after this season when they realize how good he is. Then all the idots that question his drive will be exposed. I chalk a lot of that perception up to playing in Washington, that team can make anyone look questionable. He'll probably score 40 again, doesn't matter which Stall he plays with.

for all those making fun of the $ involved, answer me this, what was a better signing:

Semin @ 1 year for 7 million, or

Sundin @ 1 year for 10 million years ago when the cap was smaller????

many people have short, short memories.

I just read a thread about the Shea Weber potential offer of $13 million for one season!!!! And tell me why the Semin deal at $7,000,000 is bad?

come on Canuck fans take off the rose tinted glasses and call a spade a spade.

I don't blame MG for what he's doing. He knows he's close and is willing to take a shot, but he's close thanks to Nonis and Burke and their good dragting and signings.

for all those making fun of the $ involved, answer me this, what was a better signing:

Semin @ 1 year for 7 million, or

Sundin @ 1 year for 10 million years ago when the cap was smaller????

many people have short, short memories.

Archived