The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mars Rover/Mission Thread: Following Our Curiosity

Sharpshooter

Seventeen Cameras on Curiosity

This graphic shows the locations of the cameras on NASA's Curiosity rover. The rover's mast features seven cameras: the Remote Micro Imager, part of the Chemistry and Camera suite; four black-and-white Navigation Cameras (two on the left and two on the right) and two color Mast Cameras (Mastcams). The left Mastcam has a 34-millimeter lens and the right Mastcam has a 100-millimeter lens.

There is one camera on the end of a robotic arm that is stowed in this graphic; it is called the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI).

There are nine cameras hard-mounted to the rover: two pairs of black-and-white Hazard Avoidance Cameras in the front, another two pair mounted to the rear of the rover, (dashed arrows in the graphic) and the color Mars Descent Imager (MARDI).

672668main_malin-4-946.jpg

Looks like a relative of Johnny #5.

Education, universal healthcare, and human rights, being more of a priority imo, I still agree very much with you about the benefits in long term investment into the space sciences and exploration programs, such as this one to Mars. The return is certainly worth more than the investment.

If even a handful of kids become inspired from this in the various countries around the world that participated in the Curiosity program...then there's a good chance they could be the next generation to push our collective knowledge boundaries, or perhaps come up with some new technology that alters the way we live our lives for the better. That's a great thing about space programs. The spinoff benefits are immeasureable.

New Pictures from Curiosity:

This image taken by NASA's Curiosity shows what lies ahead for the rover -- its main science target, informally called Mount Sharp. This image has not yet been linearized to remove the distorted appearance that results from its fisheye lens.

Mars%20Rover%20Mount%20Sharp%20Fisheye.jpg

The shadow of NASA's Curiosity can be seen in the foreground, and the dark bands beyond are dunes. In the distance the highest peak of Mount Sharp rises about 3.4 miles, taller than Mt. Whitney in California. The Curiosity team hopes to investigate the mountain's lower layers, which may hold clues to past environmental change.

Mars%20Rover%20Mount%20Sharp.jpg

Great pics....and at least it's heading in the right directions. Next stop Mount Doom!....i mean Sharp.

Click on the link for a really large High-resolution picture of the rover on it descent onto Mars last night.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/673727main_PIA15980-full_full.jpg

And here's a picture of Curiosity landing as its heat shield falls away. (Mars pollution?)

673982main_PIA15993-43_full.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/673982main_PIA15993-43_full.jpg

Education, universal healthcare, and human rights, being more of a priority imo, I still agree very much with you about the benefits in long term investment into the space sciences and exploration programs, such as this one to Mars. The return is certainly worth more than the investment.

If even a handful of kids become inspired from this in the various countries around the world that participated in the Curiosity program...then there's a good chance they could be the next generation to push our collective knowledge boundaries, or perhaps come up with some new technology that alters the way we live our lives for the better. That's a great thing about space programs. The spinoff benefits are immeasureable.

I strongly agree with your second paragraph. When the space program was in its prime, the number of spinoff technological advancements was huge. That has diminished as NASA's budget has been continually cut.

I do have a bit of an issue with the first line of your post though. Not that I think you are wrong, but to me it comes off as not realising the differences in budget allocation. Even without universal healthcare in the USA, total federal healthcare expenditures for 2012 are estimated at 846 billion while NASA's estimated budget is a bit under 18 billion. In other words, NASA has a budget of roughly 2% of what is spent on healthcare. While I agree that universal healthcare, education and correcting human rights issues are laudable goals, I think that the comparison makes NASA look underfunded.

Not to say that healthcare funds should be redirected to NASA, but I'd love to see what could be done if say 50 billion/year was dropped from military spending and added to NASA's budget.

Archived