The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada, and investing in our Olympic team

Kamero89

Maybe you should look at the population of both Countries, and figure if that has anything to do with it as well. Take a look at how many competitors each Country has for the Summer Olympics it's a landslide, USA has 529 in 25 sports, Canada has 277 in 24 sports, USA has more because they have a way bigger population to pick from then Canada.

Maybe you should look at the population of both Countries, and figure if that has anything to do with it as well. Take a look at how many competitors each Country has for the Summer Olympics it's a landslide, USA has 529 in 25 sports, Canada has 277 in 24 sports, USA has more because they have a way bigger population to pick from then Canada.

For the record:

Canada is 11th for medals right now. The countries in the top 10 are:

Rank Country Pop.

1. USA - 315,000,000

2. China - 1,350,000,000

3. Russia - 145,000,000

4. Great Britain - 62,000,000

5. Japan - 125,000,000

6. Germany - 82,000,000

7. France - 65,000,000

8. South Korea - 48,000,000

9. Australia - 23,000,000

10. Italy - 60,000,000

11. Canada - 35,000,000

In the top 10, only Australia has a smaller population. Canada is getting very good bang for the buck for medal production.

Unless "similar sized" includes 2-3 the size then yes. Only Australia has more medals with similar or less population. And don't forget this is the only Olympics they do well in. Combine summer and winter and we dominate them.

Only the USA, China, Russia and Germany significantly outproduce us when combining both games. Considering populations we are kicking ass.

Population still has little to do with it. We are big enough to produce athletes, and we proved that in 2010. We also have enough of a summer type (or at least non winter) climate here in BC to make that a lame excuse. Our economy matches those countries, and they invest more. So can we. Not saying shoot for the moon, but lets at least get to the sky!

I root for anyone wearing the red and white. Not being disrespectful, but were you not here in 2010?! Did it not teach you a proper sense of nationality?

Before Alexandre Bilodeau, Granville was busy, after he won, and everyone else won a gold that street flooded with proud Canadians. The 100k who appeared on the streets every night cared. The enormous ratings EVERY Olympics get in Canada seem to point to Canada caring

Well, yeah I was referring mostly about the Summer Olympics and Canada. I know there shouldn't be a difference, but there's no denying that half the nation that watches the Winter Olympics don't even watch the Summer ones because it's boring and bland.

We don't compete in any of the most exciting events and even if we do, it's not like we excel or do well in any of them.

The United States Olympic team is simply so successful is because they invest a massive amount of money in their athletes. Their soccer program alone gets more money than our entire Olympic program.

Own the Podium was successful in Vancouver 2010, but the total amount of investing dropped for the 2012 games. Granted the amount of total money invested is far higher than the 70's/80s/90s, where we hosted two separate Olympic games, and did not even get a gold medal.

Similar, and even worse economies invest more than us, should we step up and pay more, or put the money into other things?

The United States is est. to have spent $300m on their athletes for these games. Canada has spent a fraction of this, and it shows in the medal count.

In my opinion $300m is ridicules, especially for a country so in debt, but some more money can be found somewhere. New Zealand has half the economy of BC alone, and has 2 gold medals, and usually gets more golds than us. Spending what Germany, and Australia do seems logical. Spending smart, and to be competitive, and give our athletes an actual chance.

Money is neccessary but not sufficent to get Canada more medals.

It is the lack of quality competitive competitions for Canadian athletes to push themselve to the next level.

NCAA has competitions of pretty much every olympic categories and it is these competitions plus training that help them to produce quality athletes. A lot of Canadian athletes literally spends to their last penny just to get themselve prepare for the game. They don't have sponsorship nor government pouring into the program and help them train.

Comparing the size of the country to medal standing is not right, when the athletes don't have mulitmillion dollar of resource to train, a bronze medal to me is good enough already.

Also remember how difficult it is to get into top 10/20 ranking let alone winning at Olympic game.

I am so proud of our athletes and to me they are all winners

Money is neccessary but not sufficent to get Canada more medals.

It is the lack of quality competitive competitions for Canadian athletes to push themselve to the next level.

NCAA has competitions of pretty much every olympic categories and it is these competitions plus training that help them to produce quality athletes. A lot of Canadian athletes literally spends to their last penny just to get themselve prepare for the game. They don't have sponsorship nor government pouring into the program and help them train.

Comparing the size of the country to medal standing is not right, when the athletes don't have mulitmillion dollar of resource to train, a bronze medal to me is good enough already.

Also remember how difficult it is to get into top 10/20 ranking let alone winning at Olympic game.

I am so proud of our athletes and to me they are all winners

yep our high jump Winner is in NCAA I believed but amazing enough our swimming winners are from the UBC and UVIC swimming program that is pretty good......

I think we should be positive that our top athlete is quite young around 22/23 especially in swimming and track and gymanistic....hopefully we can build on that....

For the record:

Canada is 11th for medals right now. The countries in the top 10 are:

Rank Country Pop.

1. USA - 315,000,000

2. China - 1,350,000,000

3. Russia - 145,000,000

4. Great Britain - 62,000,000

5. Japan - 125,000,000

6. Germany - 82,000,000

7. France - 65,000,000

8. South Korea - 48,000,000

9. Australia - 23,000,000

10. Italy - 60,000,000

11. Canada - 35,000,000

In the top 10, only Australia has a smaller population. Canada is getting very good bang for the buck for medal production.

How did we do poorly?

Is it really doing "poorly" if one of out athletes finishes second or third or even 23rd in the world (out of 7 billion people)?

To me, the biggest indication of the success of Olympic programs is the number of athletes a country sends to the games, compared to the population size. Canada sent 281 elite athletes. Every country ahead of them has significantly highly population.

i know everyone wants us to be the best at everything, but we can't. We are one of the top 3 or 4 countries in the Winter Olympics every year. We are one of the top 15 countries in the Summer Olympics every year. Overall, we are essentially the 5th best country at the Olympics overall (summer + winter) with only the US, China, Russia and Germany outperforming us at both Olympics.

Expecting Canada to be the best country at the Summer Olympics considering our population size and climate is ridiculous.

Archived