The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good trade careers in demand

key2thecup

Trades are the way to go, you make 100k plus and rip off the people who thought going 5 years of school to make 45k a year was a sound financial move. 100 bucks an hour for a refrigeration technician or a plumber yet a $25 an hour government worker is overpaid according to the public. Got to love it

im ticketed - construction... but to be honest i'm not sure about the whole industrial vs construction electrician thing, far as i know the schooling is the same, and the red seal is the same... its just different experience and different applications of the same theories. -someone correct me if im wrong, but i had no choice of different 'electrician' schooling-

i would recommend industrial though.. its where the money is, and as long as your willing to be away from home for a week or two at a time, its actually easier work... or like i said with the oil pipeline, there should be lots of opportunity to move to a place where the work is.

if you arent interested in industrial, as far as trades go... electrical is probly the cleanest, and most interesting trade.

In BC now there is different classes for industrial electricians and residential/commercial electricians. They teach different stuff in each course. But yes, after you are ticketed you have the same red seal and you can work anywhere. It wasn't like that while I was in school, it changed just recently as far as I know.

I wouldn't say industrial is always easier than commercial/resi. Yes, lots of times it is, but coming from a guy who's done both there are days we work our asses off in the mine. Hanging 15KV, 3C/500kcmil teck cable isn't an easy job by any means. The cable weighs around 50 lbs per meter. Also the working conditions are pretty bad, especially underground. But I love the job more than I ever loved commercial/resi, just cause it's more interesting to me and I love fixing machinery when it goes down or getting the mine back up and running if we have a major fault.

Archived