The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to ditch the "Whale"?

six-0h-four-

266 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Any evidence of this or merely an assumption?

The logo has to do with where the team plays. Nothing more.

Take a walk around town. Check out a few galleries. Check out local post cards. You'll find Orca's and native art all over Vancouver. Why is that?

I've gone through every incarnation of the uniform and logo. The current is the best the team has ever had. In case you hadn't noticed, the logo forms a C to represent Canucks just like the stick in rink. The difference is the Orca logo is very Vancouver while the stick in rink could just as easily be for Calgary, Columbus, Chicago, Carolina, or even Canadiens. Coyotes or Capitals. I've never understood the love for the stick in rink as it's both boring and indistinct. It could be a generic logo used for any team that has a C in it's name. I was happy as hell when they announced they were changing from the stinkin' rink until I saw the piss yellow Flying V monstrosity. And the only thing that made the Skate tolerable was when they finally switched from the piss yellow to a white jersey. And just a big "NO THANKS" to a cartoon character as a logo. Very minor league as far as I'm concerned. And unless it's a Hawaiian version in beaver cap and fur coat, it doesn't represent where the team plays. Yes, "Canuck" was the slang term used for Hawaiians and Frenchmen in the fur trade in the Pacific Northwest. It was in the east that the term was used in reference towards French in the lumber industry. It was also in the east that Johnny Canuck was created.

Personally, I think the best hockey logos around the league are the ones that represent where the team plays. The Orca certainly does that for Vancouver. From the moment they unveiled it I said they finally got it right. A simple C in a distinct west coast fashion.

I say keep it. I, and I think many others, are scared to death of what the next hired designer will come up with if history is any indication. It would even be more depressing if the fans get saddled with yet another underwhelming logo. None of the logo designs have been very good. What does it say when that simplistic and boring stick-in-rink logo is the one most popular?

The whale has its faults - but it could be worse.

okay, i see what's going on here... you just have absolutely horrible taste. the best jerseys/logos are the ones where teams make a name for themselves. take the original 6:

ny - the shield, which has to do with a ranger, has little if anything to do with the city and when they did put the statue of liberty on there, it was instantly bad. are "rangers" the first thing you think of when you think of nyc? no, a team should create it's own identity;

boston - are bears the first thing that come to mind when you think about the city? what about a wheel?

chicago - here's one where they've used the "savage" gimmick from the start, but again, natives are not the first thing that come to mind about chicago. (and when i type "savage" keep in mind that this was a different time, when being p.c. wasn't very important, but that's the way the meant for it to be taken... in a round-about way)

detroit - now, here the logo makes some collaboration, but the name? nope. (and before that they were the cougars...)

and so on, and so forth (you can finish the thought process yourself). a city should represent it's team, not a team representing it's city. teams/organizations can be moved, sold, lost which is exactly why each should have their own identity, not trying to cater to the select area around it, but making a name for itself in its respective league. the canucks are more so a fixture in the nhl, and less in vancouver. we are simply fortunate enough to house them.

anyway, the orca is and always was just plain ugly, and if that's your terrible tacky taste then so be it. but i personally want a strong look for a team that even if they were to ever be relocated, i would still cheer for. not something that feels like "it represents our city" but something that represents a bad ass nhl club with it's own, distinct identity. this teams identity is "canucks" not the vancouver that comes before it (hence why we can have several different teams in different leagues in one city!)

and yes, obviously every team is a corporation, what people don't like is using ANOTHER (parent) corporation to re-brand the team.

...i just re-read your posts again. seriously, you've just got a hard on for what you think makes vancouver the city it is. you know most of that native art is again gimmicks, most done by people who have little to no connection to that heritage. but it's a good way to make a buck.

stick in rink is better because simple is better. less is more (boston, montreal, detroit, philly, new jersey, ny, etc... the old capitals jerseys are probably my favourite, but that's just me). the worst logo has to be either pittsburgh (just funny lookin), columbus or the new washington one (both have too much going on), and our orca (for both the previous reasons).

*oh and my evidence is the fact that it happened, and that i understand how brands work and i'm not naive enough to think that pat quinn was skimming along in the strait one day and said to himself "orcas are so pretty and majestic, we should use that on our jerseys. it just represents the city so well!" owners/management don't give a sh*t about that, but they know suckers like you will eat it up, even if it looks atrocious.

Blue represents alofness and sadness while green represents jealously and greed seems about right with this team. Whereas as Red, Black and Yellow represent anger and power. What do you want your hockey team to represent?

Blue and green has to go, along with the orca whale logo. Time to get a better logo and color scheme.BTW 15 of last 17 cups have been won by a team with red or black as their primary colors.

'Seriously, you've just got a hard on for what you think....". Ho Ho.Christmas comes early.

The Orca is the face of the John MeGaw era and it reminds me of Messier and Keenan and a lot of bad decisions and memories.

I like the whale logo ,but it is not synonomous with 'Canuck' and/or with 'Johnny Canuck' already adopted by the .org as their legal marketing domain entity the whale is as good as extinct -or relegated to alternate jersey status some day.

Conversely,if the .org ever figures out the logo still looks good and they want to keep it around,can they please take the 'Vancouver' off the front? Tacky and redundant and an eyesore.Who makes these decisions?

It is not like the folks in the arena don't know it is Vancouver playing.Reminds me of some lame brain decision Bettman would perform while on bended knees for the owners.

In Greece green represented victory. In Scotland honor. It's also considered the color of nature.

Blue is consider a relaxing color. In Egypt blue protected from evil.

Yellow is a symbol of jealousy and deceit. In France it represented traitors.

Black represents secrecy.

Red represents anger. In Africa red signifies mourning. For Romans it signified battle. In China red is a lucky color.

Honestly I don't think color matters nearly as much as talent when it comes to sports. The Canucks made it to the finals in a uniform the players themselves hated.

Any evidence of this or merely an assumption?

The logo has to do with where the team plays. Nothing more.

Take a walk around town. Check out a few galleries. Check out local post cards. You'll find Orca's and native art all over Vancouver. Why is that?

I've gone through every incarnation of the uniform and logo. The current is the best the team has ever had. In case you hadn't noticed, the logo forms a C to represent Canucks just like the stick in rink. The difference is the Orca logo is very Vancouver while the stick in rink could just as easily be for Calgary, Columbus, Chicago, Carolina, or even Canadiens. Coyotes or Capitals. I've never understood the love for the stick in rink as it's both boring and indistinct. It could be a generic logo used for any team that has a C in it's name. I was happy as hell when they announced they were changing from the stinkin' rink until I saw the piss yellow Flying V monstrosity. And the only thing that made the Skate tolerable was when they finally switched from the piss yellow to a white jersey. And just a big "NO THANKS" to a cartoon character as a logo. Very minor league as far as I'm concerned. And unless it's a Hawaiian version in beaver cap and fur coat, it doesn't represent where the team plays. Yes, "Canuck" was the slang term used for Hawaiians and Frenchmen in the fur trade in the Pacific Northwest. It was in the east that the term was used in reference towards French in the lumber industry. It was also in the east that Johnny Canuck was created.

Personally, I think the best hockey logos around the league are the ones that represent where the team plays. The Orca certainly does that for Vancouver. From the moment they unveiled it I said they finally got it right. A simple C in a distinct west coast fashion.

The blue represents the sky (or sea) and the green the forested mountains. The Native style whale logo reminds me of Stanley Park totem poles. The stick in rink on the sleeve is a nice touch. The "Vancouver" over top of the orca is a throwback to the WHL Canucks. It is a well thought out jersey, logo and is unique within the NHL.

There are plenty of examples in sports of teams with odd nicknames considering where they are. How many Grizzlies are there in Memphis? Is Jazz big in Utah? Those are moved franchises, of course, but they kept the name since it was an identifier of the organization, same with the LA Lakers who moved from Minnesota.

I loved the flying skate as well, but its time is done. It may have been near and dear to the fans, but was mostly a joke outside of Vancouver. Rotate throwbacks like the flying skate, stick in rink and the like as third jerseys. Keep the primary logo and jersey the same.

I voted to keep it. I like the stick-in-rink jerseys better, and I think it's nice having them as a third; that way they are a bit more special. Sounds kind of silly I know, not wearing the best uniform all the time- but think of it like formal dress wear. :P

the problem i have with the current jersey is, they blended two great jerseys (orca and stick in rink) and turned them into one horrible uniform. white orca looks terrible in the bright bright bright blue jersey. and why is it written vancouver on it? is it because some genius might confuse the letter c with calgary, chicago or carolina? redundant and looks too busy. also reebok jerseys are tighter than nike and that doesn't help. hockey jerseys should be baggy

even though i like the 97-07 orca bay jersey the most, i'd be ok with the stick in rink. the original one of course, our 3rd jersey looks cartoonish

Orca Bays logo was three different colored orcas forming an O.

And I just have to point out....EVERY teams logo is in fact a corporate logo. You'll find it on and in their building. On their letterhead. On their business cards. On their cheques. On everything they do business with. Sorry, but every teams logo is their corporate logo. This "corporate logo" crap was started by one of the Province hack writers to stir the pot and the sheeple just ate it up.

When I say corporate logo I of course mean a logo that represents something other than the hockey team, which the orca does. The Aquilini Investment Group (the current owners of the Canucks) use a stylized triangle A logo as their corporate logo. If all of a sudden the jersey changes to a lumberjack and uses the A logo as the top of a tree or something, I have a problem with that.

I don't mind the current scheme, although, I think the 'Vancouver' lettering is unnecessary. I still don't get how the image of a whale and the word 'Canuck' fit together. Instead of changing the logo/scheme again, they'd be better off changing the name of the team. Vancouver Orcas.. of course, the rest of the world doesn't know what an orca is, so maybe that's a bad idea.

Archived