The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Awesome dude. Where did you see him at?

By the way anyone watching the Calgary/Hamilton game? It's snowing already in Calgary and it's October!!!

It always snows in October in Winnipeg, a couple weeks ago we had snow, but our weather is weird so it disappeared.

Can this be confirmed? Since he didn't play in the game I'm pretty sure he hasn't lost the streak. I've been digging for information on the net and I kind find anywhere that says the streak is over.

It is over. I can't give you a link or anything, but it is (and was confirmed as such during the broadcast).

Can this be confirmed? Since he didn't play in the game I'm pretty sure he hasn't lost the streak. I've been digging for information on the net and I kind find anywhere that says the streak is over.

It was mentioned several times by Suitor the streak is indeed over.

It is over. I can't give you a link or anything, but it is (and was confirmed as such during the broadcast).

It was mentioned several times by Suitor the streak is indeed over.

Thanks, was at the game so I didn't hear anything about it. Guess I will now that I am going to watch it off PVR though, lol.

Yeah Lulay's streak is indeed over. Ridiculous ruling by the CFL. Only league that does it as such.

On that consecutive games with a pass TD note: (Don't forget what Brees did earlier this season in the NFL)

Strangely enough the greatest backup QB in the CFL Mike Reilly :bigblush: (former Central Washington Wildcat) holds the NCAA All-Division record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass with 46.

I can't believe what Wally Buono, Roy Shivers and the entire scouting department accomplish considering what they're left with after the NFL make their choices and the additional competition up here.

Specifically quarterbacks. This Travis Lulay/Mike Reilly situation looks so similar to what he had created in Calgary with Jeff Garcia/Dave Dickenson.

Our depth is incredible, and this franchise is the class of the Canadian Football League in every category.

Back to Reilly though, the guy looks like the real deal. I mean from what we have to gauge in mop-up duty, pre-season and his first pro-start, I'd say he could start for half the teams in this league.

During his NFL time, Reilly went 10-of-15 for 117 yards during the 2009 preseason for the Stealers. Not much opportunity, but decent numbers as a whole.

There are so many sides of this Reilly story. Does the expansion Ottawa franchise draft him in late 2013? Does another CFL team pry the free agent away this off-season? Or does Lulay give the NFL one more go? Making Reilly our new starting QB next season?

Edited by BurnabyJoe

Buono looking at Arceneaux

The notion that a CFL team can't have too many Canadians carries an equal amount of weight with the B.C. Lions along with the thought you also can't have too many receivers.

That would be one way to rationalize why general manager Wally Buono called the agent for former wideout Emmanuel Arceneaux to discuss a possible return next season after he was cut off the practice roster of the NFL's Washington Redskins earlier this week.

But it also is another window into the collective thinking of the Lions, who may have receiving veterans with established credentials on the roster like Geroy Simon and Arland Bruce but are also realizing they can't be effective forever.

Buono spelled it out rather succinctly Wednesday,

"The reality is after the season we're going to have to sit down and have some tough things to discuss. So (Arceneaux) doesn't come on the horizon. We still have to have the tough discussion, and that's across our team."

Arceneaux spent two seasons with the Lions and had 1,114 receiving yards in 2010 before leaving for the NFL.

For the most part, he has been watching games on the sidelines.

He played three games at the end of last year and caught one pass for the Minnesota Vikings before being released and heading to Washington.

Buono was told by agent Bardhia Ghahremani his client will continue to look in the NFL. As a CFL free agent, Arceneaux would be able to field offers from teams north of the border, too.

"He has no interest in coming to the CFL," Buono said.

Simon, 37, who returns to the line-up for the Lions game against the Calgary Stampeders with lineman Khalif Mitchell after a three-game absence due to a second hamstring injury, needs 343 yards from the final two games to maintain a string of nine straight years with 1,000 yards.

Bruce, 34, hasn't played since Sept. 29 and also has had trouble cracking a lineup in which Courtney Taylor has emerged in his absence. Simon gets his roster spot back at the expense of Nick Moore, and receiver Kierrie Johnson was cut late Wednesday.

Though fellow rookie D.J. Woods worked at his spot with the first unit during the practice week, Ernest Jackson will play in Calgary.

Emannuel Arceneaux released from Redskins practice roster and Kierrie Johnson released by the Leos...

...are the two possibly related?

What if another divisional rival picks up Kierrie Johnson for the remainder of the season? He could provide some information about the Lions to a team like Calgary if they meet in the Western Final.

It would not be the first time a team signs a player recently cut by another CFL team to gain a competitive advantage.