The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Driving in my country...

aeromotacanucks

Considering I've actually lived in Ontario for few extended periods of time, specifically in Mississauga, and go to Toronto more than a few times, you are honestly exaggerating. They have a couple of freeways, the 401, the 407, among other things. Traffic isn't really THAT miserable. Admittedly, practically the whole province requires a car - walking and/or taking the transit is inconvenient.

Also, interest rates have nothing to do with population growth.

Either you're lying or know absolutely nothing about the GTA.. or interest rates.

1) Non commute hours on the 401 between Mississauga and Oshawa are miserable, same goes for the 400, 404, and south end of the 427. 407 is a toll freeway as wide as the 401 so of course there's less traffic, genius. You don't knoe what an exaggeration means nor do you know how traffic is here.

2) Interest rates kept low keeps demand higher, higher interest rates reduces demand... the housing market here is exploding and now even the 410 is getting ridoculous non commute traffic...

I lold at your post.

Just because you don't want to pay for the toll doesn't mean that you don't have options. You have options - it's just whether or not you WANT to go that road. There's places in the world where toll laneways are more common (i.e. the US). What goes on in the GTA isn't even that bad - a whole lot of complaining about relatively nothing.

I also have the option to take layover flights from Pearson to the island and avoid traffic, in the same analogy you provide, which is.. outlandish to say the least. I take the ETR, it's a nice alternative, but that doesn't have anything to do with what I asserted about the fact that Ontario, never mind the GTA, has no concept of transportation and is nudging it's populace to a terrible public transportation system. Another proof of this is the highest auto insurance prices in the country. Yet another is despite the boom in houses, and thus tax revenue, there's no major infrastructure being built to mitigate sprawl, which is already terrible and is going to be even further unbearable once people move into this gross and unjustified expansion. What these officials are doing with the tax revenue is anyone's guess, but it's clear what isn't being done.

The only thing this shows is that you have absolutely no deductive reasoning whatsoever. Completely devoid of it, or trolling.

Interest rates->housing market->population, meaning interest rates directly affects the housing market, the housing market directly affects the population. Lower interest rates bring a higher population by keeping the housing market up. It's laughable how much you play dumb, or are so.

I don't disagree with the notion of spending less, consuming less, but coupled with the rest of your post it's asinine.

The government incentivises taking out a mortgage by keeping interest rates low and other nice little gifts.

If government didn't do this, interest rates logically rise, and affordability decreases as lending gets more strict.

I'd explain further but that's more than necessary and your responses aren't all that discussion worthy, I've sadly made a serious response to dumb statements and declarations.

1344817207730.jpg

^ you.

To be honest, I was wrong to say it "has nothing to do with population control". You're right that it plays a role but I disagree with the part where you say it DIRECTLY leads to population growth.

You do realize that Toronto and suburbs are EXTREMELY big cities right? Vancouver's nice and compact but Toronto is not. There's only so much that you can do to mitigate sprawl. I feel that the GTA has done a decent job of trying to cover its inadequacies. But obviously, we'll never agree here.

I do agree that transit is inconvenient (which was brought up earlier) but this is as a result of Toronto and other surrounding cities being big. It will never be "convenient" the way people need it to be. There's just not enough money.

Ontario people are pretty lazy and rightfully so. The distance to go to places is LONG. Walking is extremely inefficient. This leads to an influx of cars. It's not rocket science. Getting another freeway is a waste of province money. There's health care problems and many more. Again, you have the option of going to a toll freeway which helps generate revenue for the province but instead, you whine about it because you're too cheap to use the tolls.

Ontario is also one of the BIGGEST provinces that offer work. Most companies have their base in Mississauga. I have had several family members work there. It's not JUST interest rates. It doesn't DIRECTLY lead to population growth. I don't the prospect of work has anything to do with population growth, does it? Nope.. it's those low interest rates. It INDIRECTLY encourages population growth, not DIRECTLY.

FYI, I moved over to Ontario not because of "low interest rates".

Archived