Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

What does it mean to be Canadian?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#91 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Noticed a bit of dislike of patriotism, but I would say it depends on your view of what patriotism is.

If it's riding on the coattails of your betters and taking credit (Vimy Ridge Biatches!) and claiming that makes you great by association then I agree it's silly.

If it's taking pride and willing to defend the country that provided you with a way of life you enjoy, then it can be a very good thing. Either or, though, it doesn't make your country better, you just love it more then others.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of one's country and people I suppose, but the problem, as I and perhaps others out there see it, is that nationalism becomes tribalism which becomes a force for division among humans. Nationalism is an unevolved state of our current social evolution. I believe our species would be better off ditching the patriotism of national identities for patriotism towards a global or special identity.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#92 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,477 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

Try getting a building permit to extend your bay window.

Why bother with a permit just extend it! Same procedure for putting in a secondary suit!

Not that would be keen on doing either but if I did it's not like I am low on architechs and engineers to sign things off for me if I needed it.

#93 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,851 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

There's nothing wrong with being proud of one's country and people I suppose, but the problem, as I and perhaps others out there see it, is that nationalism becomes tribalism which becomes a force for division among humans. Nationalism is an unevolved state of our current social evolution. I believe our species would be better off ditching the patriotism of national identities for patriotism towards a global or special identity.

I agree that eventually humanity will shift to a more global view and perhaps abandon countries all together, however many western Canadians have voiced displeasure about their taxes going towards paying off Quebec. Imagine if they implemented this global government now, and our taxes were being used to fund the Greeks and all of those European countries in trouble, etc.

Society is too "me" and not enough "us".

#94 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Why bother with a permit just extend it! Same procedure for putting in a secondary suit!

Not that would be keen on doing either but if I did it's not like I am low on architechs and engineers to sign things off for me if I needed it.

So many bylaws! You can't just build something that makes your house bigger without getting the proper permits, unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Neighbours (my neigbours) will complain about sight-lines etc, and then you're in a heap of a pain in the butt.

#95 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

I agree that eventually humanity will shift to a more global view and perhaps abandon countries all together, however many western Canadians have voiced displeasure about their taxes going towards paying off Quebec. Imagine if they implemented this global government now, and our taxes were being used to fund the Greeks and all of those European countries in trouble, etc.

Society is too "me" and not enough "us".

I can't imagine it right now. The economic, social and political systems in place among others, around the world are designed to, or at least have the unwanted affect to divide us.

Nationalism, racism, capitalism, religion, are all things we need to evolve from before we'll see any meaningful steps toward global solidarity and prosperity, imho.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#96 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Your 14 trillion dollars of debt, 100+ trillion in unfunded liabilities and your creditors say hi.

Canadians living in Canada with record high personal as well as govnt debt, all living on borrowed time due to previously record breaking real estate "growth"thanks to "emergency" interest rates, that has sapped investment from more productive sectors such as business and manufacturing probably shouldnt be casting their stones just yet... or ever.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.