Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Obama vs Romney 2012 - CDC Election

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2022 replies to this topic

Poll: Obama vs Romney (329 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you vote for?

1. Obama (279 votes [85.32%])

Percentage of vote: 85.32%

2. Romney (48 votes [14.68%])

Percentage of vote: 14.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#661 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

That being said, there is no way Obama doesn't win the next two. He's an infinitely better speaker than Romney, and I suspect his advisers told him to be on the defensive since he has such a big lead. That won't happen again. The next debate is going to be worth watching.

#662 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,206 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

That being said, there is no way Obama doesn't win the next two. He's an infinitely better speaker than Romney, and I suspect his advisers told him to be on the defensive since he has such a big lead. That won't happen again. The next debate is going to be worth watching.

format is different, more town hall like. obama didnt make his pitch strong enough and simple enough. he was too wordy and didnt attack romney when he flip flopped so many times, which i think caught him off guard.

obama was rusty and playing it safe. they will adjust. at bit like playoffs, best out of 3. but he doesnt need to win big, just holding it will win it.
Posted Image

#663 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

romney flip flops at an instant, so it's harder to nail down.

romney gives better canned answers for sure, easier for listeners to get it.

After tonight's debate and his previous Republican nomination debates, it's going to be harder to pin him down to any number of issues than it would be to nail jello to the wall.

As someone mentioned him running to the center tonight, from the looks of it to me, he hopped aboard the USS Centerprise and hit it at warp speed. Unreal. I've never seen him embrace RomneyCare as much tonight, since the last time he ran for the Republican nomination. If he was a character in a He-Man franchise reboot, surely he'd win the part of Man-E-Faces.

It really was something to behold tonight. The guy sounded more liberal than the President at times. Jobs for all and no one gets a tax increase, and the military gets more funding, and he'll balance the budget! :lol:

Edited by Sharpshooter, 03 October 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#664 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Romney lied a ton tonight but he was extremely slick. I thought Obama looked tired or sick. That was not vintage Obama. I can see how ignorant voters would get sucked in by that nonsense. Romney and the Republicans got some life tonight.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#665 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,206 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Matthews on Obama: I don’t know what he was doing

Chris Matthews shares his disappointment with President Barack Obama’s debate performance saying he was “enduring the debate rather than fighting it” while “Mitt Romney came in with a plan.” Matthews also says to get in touch with the American people, needs to “watch cable news.”

http://video.msnbc.m.../msnbc/49281973

Edited by Jaimito, 03 October 2012 - 11:10 PM.

Posted Image

#666 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Romney lied a ton tonight but he was extremely slick. I thought Obama looked tired or sick. That was not vintage Obama. I can see how ignorant voters would get sucked in by that nonsense. Romney and the Republicans got some life tonight.

Romney slick? Are you kidding? Romney is usually protrayed as wooden and gaffe proned. It is Obama who is supposed to be the slick smooth talking guy. The guy who gives oratory speeches.

Its funny because that is exactly what the opponents say about Obama regarding being sucked in by ignorant voters. That Obama is full of style and no substance.

Edited by DonLever, 03 October 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#667 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Seemed to me like he was 'playing not to lose'. Sitting on a lead as it were, as we Canuck fans are all too familiar with.

But you're right, Mittens was making $h!t up as he went from the sounds of it, but the real problem was that Obama didn't nail him like a two dollar thai hooker.

Rope-a-dope maybe?

Matthews on Obama: I don’t know what he was doing

Chris Matthews shares his disappointment with President Barack Obama’s debate performance saying he was “enduring the debate rather than fighting it” while “Mitt Romney came in with a plan.” Matthews also says to get in touch with the American people, needs to “watch cable news.”

http://video.msnbc.m.../msnbc/49281973

Matthews is a bit unhinged. He knows that Obama was playing the likeability card tonight but still wanted him to hammer Romney.

Matthews needs to stop the flip-flopping in his own brain.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#668 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,206 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Matthews is a bit unhinged. He knows that Obama was playing the likeability card tonight but still wanted him to hammer Romney.

Matthews needs to stop the flip-flopping in his own brain.

i agree with his commentary. too much playing the nice guy wont do it. obama needs to take the gloves off and fight like he wants it more. no different for the cup final.

Edited by Jaimito, 03 October 2012 - 11:40 PM.

Posted Image

#669 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what went on at the end of the debate, that was some awkward group hugging. Obama's kids weren't present so it was kind of like a black couple vs. a Mormon entourage.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#670 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

i agree with his commentary. too much playing the nice guy wont do it. obama needs to take the gloves off and fight like he wants it more. no different for the cup final.

I'm sure he will over the next two debates....but this is all a repeat of the McCain-Obama debates. McCain won the first one, and Obama came off as likeable. Then Obama was said to have taken the gloves off and he went after McCain in the following townhall debates. I remember the one with McCain walking around aimlessly and calling him "That one" like it was yesterday. Obama's playing it cool and calm right now and when it gets down to the 2nd one he'll go hard, setting up the 3rd debate where he looks all reassuring and presidential and "I got Bin Laden, what have you done" on Mittens.

It's all part of the strategy.

I'm looking for to Biden and Ryan now. Ryan's never been in a debate of this magnitude and you never know what Ol' Crazy Uncle Joe's gonna say. Should be a fun one.

#671 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Presumably Romney handlers will instruct him not to run around behind Obama like McCain did. I have to say it was pretty hilarious to see the Saturday Night Live parady of McCain walking behind Obama while he was talking.

Edited by DonLever, 03 October 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#672 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

delete

Edited by DonLever, 04 October 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#673 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Presumably Romney handlers will instruct him not to run around behind Obama like McCain did. I have to say it was pretty hilarious to see the Saturday Night Live parady of McCain walking behind Obama while he was talking.

Presume nothing. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

#674 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

You need to correct that statement. Obama got Bin Lada AFTER he became president. During that debate, Bin Laden was still in hiding.

I meant in debate with Romney....aka Mittens.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 03 October 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#675 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,206 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Jaimito, 04 October 2012 - 12:24 AM.

Posted Image

#676 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Regardless of what Obama's reasoning might have been in letting himself play defense all night, it's not exactly sound strategy to give away the first period. Momentum is a dangerous thing by itself, couple that with a gullible audience and it might spell trouble for Obama. At this point, one debate isn't going to erase Obama's sizeable lead over Romney, but he can't afford to lose the next one lest he put himself in a situation where he'll need a knockout to secure the victory.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#677 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

I think it was strategy, not great strategy but strategy nonetheless. Obama let Romney talk in vagueness about his proposed policy changes, let him dribble on inaccurate facts, let Romney build off of Obama's points with nothing really new to contribute himself. Romney was supposed to win domestic policy, if only for the economy. It's now Obama's chance to hit Romney with his flip flopping and his vague policy proposals.

Obama wasn't prepared for a full offensive game by Romney, but it's Romney's only real play. The one thing Romney accomplished was the bi-partisan stab, that one will sink in. Hard to be partisan when Obama gets shut down by filibusters from Tea Party republicans; might as well be unilateral. It's late, I'm going off on tangents.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#678 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Romney has been allowed free rein to commit himself and establish his "position's" .. now, Obama and team must make him defend all these positions, many of them new .. Romney will be hard pressed to remember where he stands in two weeks, let alone refine them .. this better be the plan, or Obama has allowed Romney to get his feet under him .. expect two weeks of "fact" checking to reveal more flip-flops than a Jimmy Buffet concert ..

MItt is probably feeling overly confident this morning .. nothing quite like an egotistical mannequin

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#679 mrawfull

mrawfull

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Posted Image

Edited by mrawfull, 04 October 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#680 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,206 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

this is like the home team favorite lost gm 1 in cup finals. they need to adjust and get back in it.

biden v ryan debate will be important to stem the tide.

on the other hand, the specific lies romney made last night will be plenty of ammunition for obama campaign to dissect and attack for the next month
Posted Image

#681 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

How did Romney win? Was I watching a different debate then everyone else? I don't think Obama really won either, but neither did Romney have the upper hand.

At one point Romney said "... for the poor people, err I mean low income families". I laughed at that. He was also walking all over the PBS guy which wasn't classy at all - unlike Obama ("No, I had 5 seconds left when you interrupted me"). Sure Romney was energetic, but he seemed really untrustworthy - going up and down on his toes, blinking a lot, not to mention promising the moon if he's elected.

Actually Vig don't Kill Dral, I believe him to mafia enough that I have dealt with him myself. 

#682 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

this thread has been highly amusing.
Posted Image

#683 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

P

#684 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,206 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

History favors the challenger in first debates

Rachel Maddow reviews the past seven first presidential debates and finds that in all but one the challenger was seen as outperforming the sitting president. When compared with final election outcome, however, there is no indication of challenger advantage.

http://video.msnbc.m...w-show/49296606

Edited by Jaimito, 04 October 2012 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image

#685 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#686 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

^ :).

Ah god, I got into a debate with a pretty far right leaning psychologist today (Tenesse Republican). This is a guy who has 12 years of post secondary education that is somehow spewing out Romney's cooked numbers. This is troubling that even the intelligent are swayed by Romney's lies. I eventually dug deeper to find he was a Bush supporter too, at that point I felt debate wasn't worth the trouble. But damn, a guy responsible for the mental well being of others picks the bully team.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#687 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,022 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Does Romney remind anyone else of Will Ferrell?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#688 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

Funny everyone here is bashing Romney when most political analysts say Romney did very well. They said Obama was on the defensive most of the time.

A CNN poll said 67% of those who saw the debate think Romney was the winner. Only 25% said Obama won.

But then very few people vote according to who wins a debate. Most people's minds are already made up irregardless who wins a debate.

All you need is look @ is the poll and you will know why.... 87% here in favor of Obama. no surprise at all.

#689 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

This should tell you pretty much everything:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And to help solidify his lead, there's this from today:

Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 114,000 Jobs In September; Jobless Rate Down To 7.8 Percent

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent last month, dropping below 8 percent for the first time in nearly four years and giving President Barack Obama a potential boost with the election a month away.

The rate declined from 8.1 percent because the number of people who said they were employed soared by 873,000 - an encouraging sign for an economy that's been struggling to create enough jobs.

The number of unemployed Americans is now 12.1 million, the fewest since January 2009.

The Labor Department said employers added 114,000 jobs in September. It also said the economy created 86,000 more jobs in July and August than the department had initially estimated.

Wages rose in September. And more people started looking for work.

#690 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

This should tell you pretty much everything:

Posted Image
Posted Image

And to help solidify his lead, there's this from today:

More than 50 million face hunger in the US

By Kate Randall
7 September 2012

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported Wednesday that 14.9 percent of Americans faced food insecurity in 2011. This means that one in six people lives in a household that is at risk of hunger. Of the more than 50 million people in the US for whom hunger is a reality, nearly 17 million are children.
In 2011, 5.7 percent of US households, or 6.9 million households, had what the USDA terms “very low food security.” This means that the food intake of some household members was reduced or the normal eating patterns were disrupted at times during the year due to limited resources.
The number of very low food security households rose significantly in 2011, up from 5.4 percent in 2010, as the number returned to the 5.7 percent levels of 2008 and 2009. This means that despite government claims that the recession ended in mid-2009, millions of American families face the threat of hunger on a regular basis.
Very low food security has increased dramatically over the past decade, rising from 3.3 percent of households in 2001 to 5.7 percent in 2011—a jump of more than 72 percent.
Ten percent of households with children—13.9 million households—were unable at times during 2011 to provide adequate, nutritious food for their children. One percent of households with children (374,000 households) experienced instances of very low food security.
Poverty was the over-arching factor driving food insecurity. Among those households living at or below the official federal poverty level (FPL)—a miserly $22,350 for a family of four—17.9 percent suffered from very low food security. Families headed by a single woman or man, as well as African-American and Hispanic households, were substantially more likely to face food insecurity. Food insecurity was more common in large cities and rural areas than in suburban areas.
The USDA’s Economic Research Service (ERS) report is based on annual statistics gathered by the U.S. Census Bureau. More than 43,000 households comprising a representative sample of the 119 million civilian households in the US were surveyed in December 2011.
Respondents were asked a series of questions, such as:
• “In the last 12 months, were you ever hungry, but didn’t eat, because there wasn’t enough money for food?”
• “In the last 12 months, did you lose weight because there wasn’t enough money for food?”
• “In the last 12 months did you or other adults in your household ever not eat for a whole day because there wasn’t enough money for food?”
Households with children were asked questions including:
• “In the last 12 months, did you ever cut the size of any of the children’s meals because there wasn’t enough money for food?”
• “In the last 12 months, did any of the children ever skip a meal because there wasn’t enough money for food?”
The food security status of households was determined on the basis of the number of food-insecure conditions reported. The 6.9 million households that faced very low food security reported many of the same experiences as they struggled to provide adequate nutrition for their families:
• Ninety-nine percent worried that their food would run out before they had the money to buy more.
• Ninety-five percent said they could not afford to purchase food to provide balanced meals.
• Ninety-seven percent reported an adult had cut the size of meals or skipped meals.
Nearly half of the very low food secure households reported a family member losing weight due to lack of money to purchase food. More than a quarter reported that at some point an adult did not eat for an entire day because there was not enough money for food.
More than a quarter of households headed by a female with no spouse faced low food security; 11.5 percent of these households were very low food secure. Nearly 18 percent of Hispanic households were food insecure, while 14.6 percent of African-American households faced food insecurity.
Food insecurity was highest in the Southern states, including in Alabama (18.2 percent of households), Georgia (17.4 percent), Mississippi (19.2 percent), Arkansas (19.2 percent), North Carolina (17.1 percent), and Texas (18.5 percent).
The USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) administers 15 domestic food and nutrition programs. The three largest are SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly called the Food Stamp Program), the National School Lunch Program, and WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children).
About 57 percent of food-insecure households reported receiving benefits from one or more of these main food assistance programs during the month prior to the December 2011 food security survey. This means that the aid from these programs is woefully inadequate to meet the needs of families struggling to put food on the table.
Another government report released this week showed the number of Americans using food stamps to purchase groceries is at all all-time high. More than 46 million people—15 percent of the US population—received SNAP benefits in June. With the jobless rate remaining above 8 percent, long-term unemployment persisting, and unemployment benefits slashed, families are turning to this benefit in record numbers.

This is happening all over the world , more people are getting employed on a casual basis rather than fulltime , and even when they are working they are not making enough to pay the bills .

While on the other hand ,

Net worth of richest Americans soars by 13 percent in 2012

By Shannon Jones
21 September 2012

Hard-pressed workers struggling to hang on to jobs and pay their bills will be relieved to learn that America’s billionaires are not suffering due to the ongoing economic disaster. In fact they have never had it so good.
Every year Forbes magazine publishes a list of the wealthiest individuals in the United States. This year’s annual survey gives a stark snapshot of the obscene levels of wealth inequality in the US.
Posted Image
The net wealth of the Forbes 400 has now more than recovered from the drop it suffered during the 2008 financial crisis to reach a new record high, even as the living standards continue to decline for the mass of working people. The net worth of the richest 400 billionaires in the United States rose 13 percent from last year to $1.7 trillion. This compares to a 1.7 percent annual growth rate for the US economy as a whole.
The publication of the rich list follows reports of stunning declines in median net wealth in the United States. The median net worth of the average American household fell 40 percent between 2007 and 2010 to approximately the level recorded in 1992, according to the US Federal Reserve. Since 1982 the net worth of those on the Forbes 400 list has grown 15-fold, while wealth of the average household has stagnated.
Collectively, the wealthiest five individuals are worth $34 billion more than one year ago. That amounts to an increase more than triple last year’s rise. Overall, only 66 of the 400 saw their net worth shrink, while 241 enjoyed an increase.
“The gap between the very rich and the merely rich increased and helped drive up the average net worth of the Forbes 400 members to an all-time record,” said Forbes Senior Wealth Editor Luisa Kroll.
The average net worth of the 400 wealthiest Americans rose to $4.2 billion, up more than 10 percent from last year, while the minimum net wealth required to make the list rose to $1.1 billion, up from $1.05 billion last year. To give some measure of the total wealth of this group, it amounts to one-eighth of all the goods and services produced by the US economy this year or more than the entire discretionary spending proposed in the 2013 federal budget. It is roughly equal to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of India, the world’s 11th largest economy.
The publication of the Forbes report comes as Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney attempts to change the focus of the presidential campaign, attacking the supposed commitment of the Obama administration to “wealth redistribution.” He was compelled to reach back 14 years for an example, citing Obama’s comments in a speech given when he was an Illinois state senator in 1998, where he spoke vaguely of the well-known—and relatively small—effect of income taxation and government spending in redistributing resources.
Romney declared, “I know there are some who believe that if you simply take from some and give to other others then we will be better off.” In fact, what the new figures show is that a vast redistribution of wealth is taking place under the Obama administration, but in the other direction, from the working class to the wealthiest one percent.
As he has been for the past 19 years, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is the richest man in the US. His wealth increased to $66 billion, up from a mere $59 billion last year. His total net wealth is just a little less than half the entire US budget for the Department of Education. The increase in his net wealth is 100 times the projected $700 million deficit facing the Chicago Public Schools, where the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has been one the most strident proponents of the attack on teachers through the expansion of charter schools.
Concurrent with the report of Gates’s staggering increase in wealth, the US Senate’s Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations said Microsoft and other tech companies used tax havens such as the Cayman Islands to avoid billions in taxes. Between 2009 and 2011, Microsoft shifted $21 billion offshore, amounting to almost one half its US retail sales revenue, saving up to $4.5 billion in taxes.
Second on the Forbes list was Berkshire Hathaway Chairman and CEO Warren Buffett, with $46 billion. Buffett saw his net worth climb by $7 billion, largely due to the rise in Berkshire stock values. His fortune is roughly equal to the GDP of Tunisia or Uruguay.
The biggest winner in terms of net increase in wealth was Larry Ellison, CEO of software giant Oracle and number three on the Forbes list. His net wealth increased $8 billion for the year, topping $41 billion. Just the increase in his wealth is larger than the gross domestic product of Nicaragua. His total net wealth is roughly equal to the amount budgeted for 2012-13 by the state of California for health and human services and larger than the entire state education budget. He recently purchased 98 percent of the 141-square-mile island of Lanai, the sixth largest island in the Hawaiian chain.
Tied for fourth place on the Forbes list are the Koch brothers, David and Charles, owners of the chemical business group Koch Industries, the second-largest privately held company in the United States. The two are worth a reported $31 billion each. Charles Koch is a founder of the right-wing Cato Institute and both brothers are supporters of ultra-right-wing causes, including the Tea Party movement. The combined net worth of the two billionaires is more than the GDP of 114 countries, including Sri Lanka, Bulgaria, Costa Rica and Burma.
New York’s Democratic Mayor Michael Bloomberg is number 10 on the Forbes list with a reported fortune of $25 billion. While in office, Bloomberg has imposed draconian cuts in jobs, social services and education, including the closure of scores of schools. Meanwhile, he is sitting on a personal fortune approximately equal to the total annual budget of New York City’s public schools.
Three members of the Walton family were in the top 10: Jim, Alice and Robson. Part-owners of Bentonville, Arkansas-based Walmart, their collective net worth of $79.1 billion is more than 16 times the entire proposed $4.7 billion fiscal 2013 budget for the state of Arkansas.
As for the claims that the wealthiest Americans worked to earn their riches, 60 percent of the income for those on the rich list comes from capital gains, that is, money gained from simply holding valuable assets such as stock, which is taxed at a mere 15 percent, about the same as the income tax rate paid by a low-wage worker.
A large portion of those on the Forbes 400 list are in sectors divorced from the production of socially useful goods and services. One quarter of them come from the finance and investment sector, while only 10 list their source of income as manufacturing. In other words, the fortunes of the wealthy elite in the United States come largely from parasitic activities, financial speculation and driving down of living standards of the vast majority of the population .

The rich are getting richer , and the poor do not even get the picture .

Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies crazy about his telescope , and Galileo had a name that made his
reputation higher than his hopes , did none of those astronomers discover while they were staring out into the dark
that what a lady looks for in her lover , is Charm, Strangeness and Quark

Brock/Calvert

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.