The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Right on man. Conditions were perfect yesterday and they were pumping out more snow with the snow makers. Also the Acro Bag World Tour is on today. So check out the landing pad from 12 to 4pm today.

Aww I didn't get there in time and just missed it by a minute. I can't seem to find a schedule on what days or times they have the air bag, do you know when they usually have it up?

Aww I didn't get there in time and just missed it by a minute. I can't seem to find a schedule on what days or times they have the air bag, do you know when they usually have it up?

They have it up everyday now from 12 to 4.

You need to sign a waiver before you can use it and it costs $2 for 1 jump or $8 for 5.

Perfect conditions the last few days on the mountains. Snows finally dumping with freshies almost everyday.

Anyone asking for anything for Christmas?

I myself am asking for:

-New clear lens for my Electric EG2 goggles

-Some anti fog spray

-New Poles

-GoPro HD Hero 3.

Innerhofer wins Beaver Creek downhill

AAPDecember 1, 2012, 11:50 am

20121201_ski_800x600-18biec8.jpg?x=292&sig=NMESNLnHStxt1a9NUVwmeQ--

AP © Enlarge photo

Cristof Innerhofer of Italy put together a near perfect run to win the second World Cup downhill race of the alpine skiing season on Friday.

The reigning super-g world champion Innerhofer clocked 1 minute 41.69 seconds on the 2,752m Birds of Prey piste with a vertical drop of 753 metres.

Former overall World Cup champion Aksel Lund Svindal, who won the first downhill a week ago in Lake Louise, Canada, was second in 1:41.92.

Fellow Norwegian Kjetil Jansrud completed the podium in third place in 1:42.19, one tenth ahead of Austrian Florian Scheiber, who impressed with fourth place with high bib 42.

Innerhofer won a full set of medals at the 2011 world championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany: super-g gold, combined silver and downhill bronze. Friday's win was his fourth in the World Cup and second in the downhill following Bormio in December 2008.

"I was far away (from the top) in Lake Louise, I had big problems over the past months. But things went well in training here and I told myself to ski relaxed and enjoy it. I just tried to take risks but not to get tight," Innerhofer said.

Svindal maintained first place in the downhill standings with 180 points and also tops the overall list with 280 points into the next race, a super-g in Beaver Creek on Saturday

There is nothing quite like skiing at 120- 130 kmh , next to riding pow , skiing fast and the sensation of speed is what i love the most about skiiing .

Anyone ever been down to these resorts?

-Stevens Pass

-Mt. Baker

-Crystal Mountain

Thinking about driving down to Washington to get some riding in on the 22nd. Stevens Pass looks killer and is the closest, also I know its one of the most famous mountains in the US but I get 50% off at Crystal with my seasons pass. Then there's Baker which is powder heaven from what I've heard but its only open from 10am to 2pm that day.

Any suggestions?

Photos Thursday Dec 6: Most Snowbase WORLDWIDE!

160" Total Snowfall & 80" Snowfall in 7 Days!

Mt. Baker rocks brother , it is a great ski-hill .

It does get huge dumps , but this also means lots of heavy wet elephant snot at times.

Such great hills to choose from. Can't decide :frantic:

In other news did anyone watch the DewTour today at Breckenridge?

The weather had extremely crazy wind. Scary to see, glad no one getting hurt so early in the season.

Good too see Canadian snowboarder Marc Mcmorris take home the 1st place on the podium in Snowboard slopestyle.

logo.png

Mark McMorris Takes The Win In Snowboard Men's Slopestyle Final

From 31 to the elite twelve, the Men’s Snowboard Slopestyle at the Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships in Breckenridge, Colorado consisted of the best snowboarders in the industry riding on what many have been referring to as “the best slopestyle course ever.”

As the final event of the last stop of the 2012 Dew Tour, spirits were high from riders to fans, and despite some winds and snowfall flurries, the level excitement and talent on display was something to be remembered.

When the semi-final came to a close back on Wednesday, Torstein Horgmo ended the day leading the pack and earning him the top qualifying spot after taking his two runs. Similar to the semi-final, riders in the final each were allotted two attempts to take to the slope in an effort to get that single highest score of the day.

After all the riders finished their first attempts on the course, it was Mark McMorris who nailed every trick and took the highest score of a 90.00. Then, during the second laps, McMorris upped the ante again growing from his previous score to a 95.00, which put the pressure on the remaining men left to drop.

Maybe it was the added confidence McMorris gained from the night before when he won the first-ever Big Air at Dew Tour, maybe not. Whatever it was, the Canadian snowboarder came out swinging in both runs stomping everything he tried – a feat in and of itself.

In the end, nobody was able to unseat McMorris and he rode out of the final stop of the 2012 Dew Tour with two titles! McMorris’ best run of the day was his second run that included a lipslide to fakie, switch hard 270 onto the next down feature, a cab double cork 900, frontside 720, backside 360 to tap on the iON camera feature, a double wildcat and a frontside double cork 1260 to cap it off.

“This course is sick! Four jumps, three rails – it’s a really technical setup. When you get to ride a really big course it is so much more fun… A lot of times you are limited to two or three ways of spinning, but with four jumps it makes for endless opportunities for lines you can choose – it makes for a lot more creativity,” said McMorris after he received his second Dew Cup in two days. McMorris went on to express his approval for the new Dew Tour’s change to a one-stop format, “[Dew Tour] is on the right track, one hundred percent!”

http://www.allisport...lopestyle-final

In skiing slopestyle Australian Russ Henshaw won beating out Swedish Henrik Harlaut and Andreas Hatveit. Knocking off all the Americans including Ski pro Tom Wallisch.

Men's Freeski Slopestyle Finals Highlights

The Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships at Breckenridge, Colorado wrapped up the final day with three slopestyle events, and the Men’s Freeski Slopestyle Final was without a doubt a highlight to the day as they skied with strength through what many athletes had referred to as, “the best course ever.”

Following the 31-man final from yesterday, only the top twelve were allowed to return to throw it all on the line for their chance at taking the 2012 Dew Cup.

As the top twelve skiers began to take their turns on the slopestyle course, the snow began to flurry making for a true winter competition allowing some riders to flourish while others had to make adjustments in order to excel.

With James Woods, aka Woodsy, coming into the event as the top qualifier from semis, he was looked to be a favorite to do well. However, between the conditions and the stacked competition, this event was anything but predictable.

As it came down to Woodsy’s final run, he seemed to have his entire run as he wished, but as he approached the final jump he decided to ride to the side and let this event go to the Aussie Russ Henshaw who scored a whopping 84.50 on hi first run.

Topping the podium was Henshaw, and directly behind him in scores were Andreas Hatveit and Henrik Harlaut taking second and third, respectively.

Results

1st Place – Russ Henshaw 84.50

2nd Place – Andreas Hatveit 80.00

3rd Place – Henrik Harlaut 78.75

4th Place – Matt Walker 77.25

5th Place – Tom Wallisch 74.25

6th Place – Sean Jordan 70.25

7th Place – Aleksander Aurdal 62.75

8th Place – Jf Houle 60.50

9th Place – James Woods 37.00

10th Place – Nick Goepper 30.50

11th Place – Alex Bellemare 29.50

12th Place – Gus Kenworthy 20.50

http://www.allisport...lopestyle-champ

Look at the wind blowing the snow off the groomed jump. 30+ km gusts

alexander_aurdal_mens_ski_slope_finals_Dew_Tour_ION_Championships_Breckenridge-2.jpg

Such great hills to choose from. Can't decide :frantic:

In other news did anyone watch the DewTour today at Breckenridge?

The weather had extremely crazy wind. Scary to see, glad no one getting hurt so early in the season.

Good too see Canadian snowboarder Marc Mcmorris take home the 1st place on the podium in Snowboard slopestyle.

logo.png

http://www.allisport...lopestyle-final

In skiing slopestyle Australian Russ Henshaw won beating out Swedish Henrik Harlaut and Andreas Hatveit. Knocking off all the Americans including Ski pro Tom Wallisch.

http://www.allisport...lopestyle-champ

Look at the wind blowing the snow off the groomed jump. 30+ km gusts

alexander_aurdal_mens_ski_slope_finals_Dew_Tour_ION_Championships_Breckenridge-2.jpg

Right on Russ , great result for a good guy :)

Absolutely AMAZING dry snow lately.

Been the greatest stretch of awesome snow in the longest I could remember. They've been getting 15+ cm's everyday.

Was on Cypress and there were tones of 1 foot - 2 feet deep spots. If you can't make up to Whistler or anywhere else, I definitely suggest going up to one of the locals tomorrow or sometime this week.

Taking a day off after 4 straight days of hitting the hills. Watching some cool videos when I stumbled back on this great classic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CDC board experts (none of the self-proclaimed variety, please :P), first time prospective board buyer here

How much should the first-time buyer expect to spend on their first board, boot and binding set?

Also, when is the best time and where can I get discounts on functional equipment? (I've been thinking about getting my gear online and I came across sites like snowboard-coach.com; has anyone purchased their stuff there or is able to give reviews about the quality of their products? Alternatively, which site(s), if not the one I went to, would you recommend for getting good deals on board equipment? Also, do Cypress, Grouse, the Board Room, etc. have end of season clearances?)

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

EVO.com is the best online Snowboard and Ski shop, I've spent over $1000 this year on their site. Their shop is in Seattle so you can either pick it up for no shipping fee or only wait a day or 2 to arrive at your doorstep.

If you're looking to get a nice snowboard, boots, bindings, etc.. I suggest waiting till the seasons done, for instance, Boardroom has a clearance store on West 4th where you can get last years Boards and gear for half the price and they'll help you with everything, you can even go right now and get last years gear for cheap but if you want to wait for the 2013 gear than go after the seasons done. I don't suggest ordering boots online since its a hassle to send it back to swap it for a different size. Ski and Snowboard boots fit differently than normal shoes so you'll have to try on different boots to get a good fit.

You're probably looking to spend about $400-$600 for a good clearance Board setup with Board, boots and bindings.

May-June is when you have the most options for last years stuff but September-October is cheapest since they really want to get rid of the old stuff and bring in the new but you might not get what you want.

In other news I got a GoPro HD Hero 3 for Christmas. Pretty stoked to get some footage!

Hi CDC board experts (none of the self-proclaimed variety, please :P), first time prospective board buyer here

How much should the first-time buyer expect to spend on their first board, boot and binding set?

Also, when is the best time and where can I get discounts on functional equipment?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

I bought my bataleon Jam from wiredsport.com and my k2 cts cinch bindings from evo.com.

Board was about $384 and bindinds about $130.

Picked up a POC helmet from backcountry.com

The purchase date was a few months ago, before the new season (obv) and when I guess they were trying to get rid of all their 'last years' stock.

The guys at wired sport were a great help regarding info about boards and answered all emails pretty quick (thanks Randy).

So far this year I've been up to cypress for 2 days and whistler for 3. Heading off to silverstar soon.

Have fun!

Here's the stretch of great weather we've all been waiting for boys and girls!

Record snowfall in the past two weeks made some crazy pow spots in BC.

If you're heading up to the locals, Mt.Washington, Baker, Stevens Pass or Whistler these next few days you're in for a treat with great conditions and amazing sun.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Whistler-Blackcomb/6day/mid

Just got a chance to try out my new 2012 Burton Ruler boots at Cypress today. Picked them up for about $120 from evo.com during their black friday sale (they go for $250-299 in Canada). All I have to say is #$# these boots made a massive difference in my riding. Before I was getting a lot of heel slipping, which has been more or less eliminated now. Love the tightening system too.

Watched "Being There" again and even though its 3 years old now I still have to say its definitely one of the favorite ski movies out there. Makes me want to go to Norway.

This is my favorite scene with some sick music, massive kickers and some crazy perseverance by Alexander Aurdal who dislocates his shoulder and then just comes right back. He's got balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2X22D8jW-Q

Just got a chance to try out my new 2012 Burton Ruler boots at Cypress today. Picked them up for about $120 from evo.com during their black friday sale (they go for $250-299 in Canada). All I have to say is #$# these boots made a massive difference in my riding. Before I was getting a lot of heel slipping, which has been more or less eliminated now. Love the tightening system too.

Right on! Boots are definitely the most important part of the ride next to the bucket!

Audi FIS World Cup - Men's Downhill (Dominik Paris)

Dominik+Paris+Audi+FIS+World+Cup+Men+Downhill+7iYH_uvGRUhl.jpg

Audi FIS World Cup - Men's Downhill

In This Photo: Hannes Reichelt, Aksel Lund Svindal, Dominik Paris

(FRANCE OUT) Dominik Paris (L) of Italy and Hannes Reichelt © of Austria stand on the podium after taking 1st place with Aksel Lund Svindal ® of Norway taking 3rd place during the Audi FIS Alpine Ski World Cup Men's Downhill on December 29, 2012 in Bormio, Italy

Austrian Hannes Reichelt and home favourite Dominik Paris shared top spot on the alpine skiing world cup podium on Saturday after clocking the same time to jointly win a downhill race in Bormio Italy.

It was the 11th time in the history of the men’s Alpine skiing world cup that there was a dead heat.

On one of the circuit’s most demanding courses – the classic Stelvio piste – Paris thrilled the home fans when he crossed the line in timesheet-topping one minute and 58.62 seconds. But moments later Reichelt bombed down the course and set an identical time to share the top spot on the podium.

It was Reichelt’s sixth career world cup win and the first downhill victory for the Austrian men’s team this season – while it was Paris’s maiden world cup triumph.

With the top four separated by a mere two hundredths of a second it was the closest downhill races in the history.

World Cup leader Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway was third for his sixth top three placing this season. A result that stretched his overall lead over defending champion Marcel Hirscher to 114 points.

Austria’s downhill World Cup champion Klaus Kroell was fourth

I always wondered how high or low ^ their din settings usually are on those bindings?

I ride on a 10-12 but they create unbelievable pressure on the bindings.Going at those speeds need to let the bindings be able to quick release to avoid injuries but not release at the wrong time (Which is by far the most annoying thing if you're a skier, everything is going fine until for some reason your ski falls off) :lol:

Archived