The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

The snows starting to die down :sadno: I really hope we get another good stretch of snowing.

Ya. All the mountains are straight groomers at the moment. Looks like snows in the forecast for the next week. Not lots but a good +5-10cm's a day.

boarded mount washington on the island over the break 4 times - testing out the new gopro, took some quality shots!

Was bluebird for 2 days, but the visibility on the 31st was pisspoor and you couldn't see anything until late in the day. Cold, windy and foggy, not worth it. Still decided to ride park while attempting to see where the rail began, lol.

For nearly a 5 metre base, the park is terrible. Barely any features, I know they have tons more.

The snow was alright, not as great as the stuff I get out here on Biggie but hey it's coastal snow (I was told it's the lightest its ever been and that's a lie)

The back country wasn't that skiied and so after hiking a bit (attached photo) there was some pretty decent snow on the backside. Still had a fun time!

I also realized the "residue" that I thought was impossible to get off of my crowbar lenses are actually tiny stress fractures. I have a 250 dollar gift certificate for oakley, so this summer I'll get a new set of goggles completely (these are almost 7 seasons old), just don't know if I'll get the Airwaves or another set of Crowbars..

34yqz2e.jpg

I always wondered how high or low ^ their din settings usually are on those bindings?

I ride on a 10-12 but they create unbelievable pressure on the bindings.Going at those speeds need to let the bindings be able to quick release to avoid injuries but not release at the wrong time (Which is by far the most annoying thing if you're a skier, everything is going fine until for some reason your ski falls off) :lol:

Podium worthy.

Made for FIS-level ski racers, the Marker Comp 20.0 EPS Ski Binding reinforces your confidence when you're topping off at speeds of 64mph while you race down the steep slopes of Kitzbühel. This ultra-burly binder clamps your boots with a DIN setting that goes up to 20, and the binding utilizes a Biometric WC toe system and a Twin Cam Comfort step-in heel for state-of-the art performance. A Magnesium Sole Holder reinforces the binding’s strength and solid hold.

• DIN range of 11-20 for World-Cup-level racers
  • Recommended Skier Weight: 130+ lbs
  • Twin-Cam Heel's unique soft-entry feature allows you to step in more quickly and easily, even in difficult snow conditions
  • AFD (anti-friction device) Gliding World Cup plate offers a precise release unhindered by dirt, snow and ice buildup
  • Biometric WC toe system
  • Solid, lightweight magnesium components ensure you're well equipped to handle high-speed icy runs
  • Stand Height Without Ski: 18mm

Most world cup racers will have their bindings set at just under the highest DIN setting.

You never run any binding at the highest setting , always at least one number down from the highest.

I run a binding whose highest setting is 14 , and i set it at 12 .

And spam apparently as well.

This thread is for members of CDC who have an interest in skiing , and wish to discuss that interest .

Please do not post if your only contributions are negative comments that are deriding the other members who are participating in these discussions .

This thread is for members of CDC who have an interest in skiing , and wish to discuss that interest .

Please do not post if your only contributions are negative comments that are deriding the other members who are participating in these discussions .

You did note the string of spam posts by this poster over the course of couple minutes did you not?

If you have a problem with my posting take it up with the Mods.

You did note the string of spam posts by this poster over the course of couple minutes did you not?

Dolt.

And spam apparently as well.

Don't need this in my thread.

Unless you're here to discuss snowboarding or skiing get out, thank you.

People still ski?

Ignorant statement. I love snowboarding, snowboarders and riding with my snowboard buddies, there's no difference between the two just different style because at the end of the day both of us are doing what we love to do in our own unique way.

The reason skiing and snowboarding grew so apart in the 80s-90s because of how "rebellious", cool, hip, new, etc it was from skiing. Most ski resorts didn't allow snowboarding till the 80s. Thanks to newer technology skiing's really grown. You've got twin tips now which is huge for park skiiers, fat all mountain powder skis, and many other different rockers and cambers. Watch "All I Can" or "Superheroes Of Stoke" to understand the revolution of the sport.

Both are phenomenal sports and you gotta love em.

boarded mount washington on the island over the break 4 times - testing out the new gopro, took some quality shots!

Was bluebird for 2 days, but the visibility on the 31st was pisspoor and you couldn't see anything until late in the day. Cold, windy and foggy, not worth it. Still decided to ride park while attempting to see where the rail began, lol.

For nearly a 5 metre base, the park is terrible. Barely any features, I know they have tons more.

The snow was alright, not as great as the stuff I get out here on Biggie but hey it's coastal snow (I was told it's the lightest its ever been and that's a lie)

The back country wasn't that skiied and so after hiking a bit (attached photo) there was some pretty decent snow on the backside. Still had a fun time!

I also realized the "residue" that I thought was impossible to get off of my crowbar lenses are actually tiny stress fractures. I have a 250 dollar gift certificate for oakley, so this summer I'll get a new set of goggles completely (these are almost 7 seasons old), just don't know if I'll get the Airwaves or another set of Crowbars..

34yqz2e.jpg

Phenomenal picture!

GoPro Hero 3 Black? I got the Hero 3 Silver took some great pictures and videos over the break.

This thread is for members of CDC who have an interest in skiing and snowboarding , and wish to discuss that interest .

Fixed for you ;)

I will admit - I am saving up for a downpayment on a house - so snowboarding has fallen to the wayside.

But I did go on Dec 16 to Whistler - and it was good.

(When we went it was 34cm over the previous 24 hours)

May get a day in near the end of January; and then another in mid February.

I will admit - I am saving up for a downpayment on a house - so snowboarding has fallen to the wayside.

But I did go on Dec 16 to Whistler - and it was good.

(When we went it was 34cm over the previous 24 hours)

May get a day in near the end of January; and then another in mid February.

Definitely an expensive sport when you take everything into consideration.

Conditions haven't been as stellar as the past 2 weeks but forecast looks good for the future.

Don't need this in my thread.

Unless you're here to discuss snowboarding or skiing get out, thank you.

Ignorant statement. I love snowboarding, snowboarders and riding with my snowboard buddies, there's no difference between the two just different style because at the end of the day both of us are doing what we love to do in our own unique way.

You do not "own" the thread.

My response was to a poster that blanketed the first page of topics with one line spam.

If your tightie whites are in a bunch take it up with a Moderator.

You do not "own" the thread.

My response was to a poster that blanketed the first page of topics with one line spam.

If your tightie whites are in a bunch take it up with a Moderator.

I do not claim to "own" this thread .

Whenever your contribute to a thread , the levels of negativity and hostility seem to rise due to the contempt you show for other members .

I do not want this to be the case in this thread .

I have not/will never report anyone.

Finally had the first dose of knee deep dry soft pow last night through the trees this season. Went with 4 other friends and just weaved through each other.

I swear the best time to go for great snow is during a blizzard, hucked a nice 10 foot cliff I didn't see after hitting a nice kicker in the snow and just ate it but landing in that soft pow is amazing. Wish it was like that everyday, best of 2013 so far.

Could relate to this video so much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WRKcQ-BT8U

Finally had the first dose of knee deep dry soft pow last night through the trees this season. Went with 4 other friends and just weaved through each other.

I swear the best time to go for great snow is during a blizzard, hucked a nice 10 foot cliff I didn't see after hitting a nice kicker in the snow and just ate it but landing in that soft pow is amazing. Wish it was like that everyday, best of 2013 so far.

Could relate to this video so much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WRKcQ-BT8U

mate sick video , the way they edit at the start is brilliant :)

Loved to ski but my knees are so bad (hockey related) now as I age, no more.

Used to regularly ski Red Mountain on holidays during university and in the 1980's I had a part ownership in a 5 bedroom house at Whistler along with several other lawyers in our firm.

Nice picture. I boarded Mt. Washington a few years ago just after they had that huge dump of snow around new year's. I didn't like it much. I'm not a great boarder and found that all of the routes had long flat (or uphill!) stretches that I got stuck on a lot.

I just did a run at Sun Peaks last week which was good fun. I really like the Morrissey run. Sun Peaks is good because it's a good mountain with good snow, but it is relatively quiet - we walked on to all the lifts and the max wait was about 15 seconds.

If you're a local park rider I have good news.

The Stomping Pad on Cypress is going to be finished by tomorrow! Featuring small, medium, and massive kickers and more! This is the start of their whole new park terrain.

In other news, does anyone have anything good to say about Hemlock? I keep hearing nothing but good, I've heard its powder mountain. Also heard the 1st rule about Hemlock is don't talk about Hemlock. :lol:

Archived