The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

I've always wanted to try out snowboarding for a very long time. Never could (no mountains or resorts where I am) and no one I know ever really showed interest in it. I'm determine to try it out one day though.

How long does it take to get the hang of it and how similar is it to skateboarding? I'm probably not going to be flying through the air doing tricks lol but I love the idea of cruising down a mountain. Can't wait til I can finally hit the bunny slopes haha.

Its fairly similar, same concept except your feet are kept in bindings on the board. Its pretty easy to pickup, just gotta be patient. In fact, I ride with Jagermeister^ who only went 3 times prior to last season and now he's a pro. You should be able to pick it up pretty quickly as long as you're doing it right. Just bend those knees and balance it out.

Good luck man, once you get up there that's all you're ever going to want to do. Its heaven on earth up there.

I see you bought the iron I suggested ;)

Get the nylon fibre brush though - it will help to smooth the base after scrapping the wax. It allows the snow to 'wick' away easier, thus giving you more speed.

Absolutely. You, Mountain Man and Ratiocinator know best.

Its fairly similar, same concept except your feet are kept in bindings on the board. Its pretty easy to pickup, just gotta be patient. In fact, I ride with Jagermeister^ who only went 3 times prior to last season and now he's a pro. You should be able to pick it up pretty quickly as long as you're doing it right. Just bend those knees and balance it out.

Good luck man, once you get up there that's all you're ever going to want to do. Its heaven on earth up there.

Absolutely. You, Mountain Man and Ratiocinator know best.

I will say it though.

You need to step up your game - locals are for chumps.

oh%20snap.gif

I will say it though.

You need to step up your game - locals are for chumps.

oh%20snap.gif

Its better than nothing. When I'm done school or work I always go up for the night for a good 5-7 hour session.

Then Whistler on the weekend at least once a month. I want to go down to Baker or Stevens Pass one weekend and maybe Kicking Horse this season.

Its better than nothing. When I'm done school or work I always go up for the night for a good 5-7 hour session.

Then Whistler on the weekend at least once a month. I want to go down to Baker one weekend and maybe Kicking Horse this season.

I have always been under the thought - that I would rather go to Whistler 5 times a year, rather then the locals 10 times.

You get much better terrian, better snow, shorter line-ups, and allows you to 'push' yourself.

I also like to go during the week - take a Monday (or Tues or Wed)off work and go up there. You literally ski up to the chair-lift every single time.

I did buy a season's pass to Seymour, a few years ago, I went once.

Then Whistler on the weekend at least once a month. I want to go down to Baker or Stevens Pass one weekend and maybe Kicking Horse this season.

Right on mate .

If you really love riding you go out everyday no matter what the conditions .

In 2006 , i basically rode the village loop all season , green runs , because we had the worst season ever recorded

SnowBase.gifnote at the peak we had a 50 cm base.

But i still rode every day , i just love skiing .

Some of the kids from the school groups we decked out with gear used to blow me away , it could be pissing with rain , hardly any snow , and when they would return their ski's and when we asked them what sort of a time they had they would say, we had the best time ever mister .

GOOD NEWS LOCAL RIDERS!!!!

Cypress has announced they will open this WEDNESDAY!!!!!

http://cypressmountain.com/

FINALLY! After 6 months I can finally hit the slopes! Its been too long. I might cry.

Hopefully you have another pair of skis for the early season. I always kept an old pair of "rock skis" handy just for such occasions. Turning over your skis at the end of your first day and seeing wood will tend to make you a little gun shy.

Thanks man! It does look really fun, can't wait!

Where To Ski Right Now - Or Really Soon

Views : 3673

By brigidmander | November 12th, 2012

Over the weekend 18 inches dropped in Bozeman, Montana. Two more feet fell in Alta, Utah, to make for a 43-inch base one week ahead of opening day. California’s Mammoth Mountain is open from top to bottom. Sixteen inches of snow just blanketed Grand Targhee in Wyoming. And on the east coast, in a glimmer of brightness along Hurricane Sandy’s tragic path, mid-Atlantic and northeastern ski resorts received a bounty of snow.

Early season blizzards or not, opening day is inching closer at all resorts. So to make sure you are ready to shred as early as possible we decided to compile a list of some major - and not so major - US resort opening days, and those resorts that have already opened. So drag the gear out of its summer hibernation, replace whatever you trashed last season, and update to the latest and greatest. Before you know it, winter will be full-on, so get out there and get ready.

While this list is pretty long, it does not list every resort in the United States. If you know of a resort opening, list it in the comments. Dates subject to change.

COLORADO

Arapahoe Basin: OPEN

Loveland: OPEN

Copper Mountain: OPEN

Wolf Creek: Nov. 14

Winter Park Nov. 14

Eldora: Nov. 16

Vail: Nov. 16

Beaver Creek: Nov. 21

Steamboat: Nov. 21

Monarch: Nov. 21

Crested Butte: Nov. 21

Telluride: Nov. 22

Aspen Mtn: Nov. 22

Snowmass: Nov. 22

Ski Cooper: Nov. 22

Purgatory: Nov. 23

Silverton: Dec. 1

Howelsen: Dec. 1

Sunlight: Dec. 7

Aspen Highlands: Dec. 8

Ski Granby Ranch Dec. 12

Powderhorn: Dec. 13

Buttermilk: Dec. 15

UTAH

Brighton: OPEN

Solitude: Nov. 14

Alta: Nov. 16

Park City: Nov. 17

Snowbird: Nov. 15

Canyons Nov. 23

Powder Mountain: Nov. 21

Snowbasin: Nov 22

Deer Valley: Dec. 8

WYOMING

Grand Targhee: Nov. 23

Jackson Hole: Nov. 24

Snow King: Dec. 8

WASHINGTON:

Stevens Pass, Nov. 21

Mt. Baker: Tenatively Thanksgiving

Crystal Mountain: TBD

IDAHO

Sun Valley: Nov. 22

Schweitzer: Nov. 17

MONTANA

Big Sky: Nov. 22

Bridger Bowl: Dec. 8

Whitefish Mountain Resort: Dec. 8

Montana Snowbowl: Dec. 11

Moonlight Basin: Dec. 8

CALIFORNIA

Bear Mountain: OPEN

Mammoth: OPEN

Northstar at Tahoe: Nov. 16

Squaw Valley USA: Nov. 21

Kirkwood: Nov. 21

Alpine Meadows: Dec. 7

Homewood: Dec. 10

NEW MEXICO

Taos: Nov. 22

Alaska

Alyeska: Nov. 21

ARIZONA

Arizona Snowbowl, TBD, mid-December

OREGON

Mt. Hood Meadows: Nov. 19

Mt. Hood Ski Bowl: Nov. 25

Mt. Bachelor: Tentatively Nov. 21

WISCONSIN:

Trollhaugen: OPEN

NEW YORK

Whiteface: Nov. 23

Gore: Nov. 25

Hunter Mountain: Nov. 25

Plattekill: Dec. 11

MAINE

Sugarloaf: OPEN

Sunday River: OPEN

VERMONT

Okemo: OPEN

Killington: OPEN

Stratton: November 24

Stowe: November 17

Jay Peak: November 23

Mad River Glen: November 22, Tenatively

PENNSYLVANIA

Whitetail: Dec. 4

Blue Knob: Dec. 14

Camelback: Dec. 16

WEST VIRGINIA:

Timberline Resort: Dec. 8

Winterplace: Dec. 9

Canaan Valley: Dec. 10

Its like Christmas ^ :frantic:

Mountains I definitely want to go to:

Stevens Pass

Mt. Baker

Mt. Hood

Mammoth <--- I think I might go, depending on if my mom and I go down to visit my dad for Christmas in California

Bear Mountain

The snow gods are helping out Whistler big time for opening day next week (November 22nd). Look at that snowfall on the weekend at 1140m (Mid level). Potential +60 snowfall in 3 days. Good cause I'm going up on the 24th :towel:

WhistlerNovember23rd.jpg

Hopefully you have another pair of skis for the early season. I always kept an old pair of "rock skis" handy just for such occasions. Turning over your skis at the end of your first day and seeing wood will tend to make you a little gun shy.

I do but you know how tempting it is to use my new skis I just got. :towel:

Its like Christmas ^ :frantic:

Mountains I definitely want to go to:

Stevens Pass

Mt. Baker

Mt. Hood

Mammoth <--- I think I might go, depending on if my mom and I go down to visit my dad for Christmas in California

Bear Mountain

The snow gods are helping out Whistler big time for opening day next week (November 22nd). Look at that snowfall on the weekend at 1140m (Mid level). Potential +60 snowfall in 3 days. Good cause I'm going up on the 24th :towel:

WhistlerNovember23rd.jpg

I do but you know how tempting it is to use my new skis I just got. :towel:

60 cms , fully sick ,wish i was going up the mountain with you .

Soooo.... how was the first day Armada?

It was great to be back on the snow for sure! Cypress only had the one run open but snow was surprisingly good, bit hard at the start but got carved up great. I don't suggest going until they get a bit more snow or open more runs. If you're a park rider, I can tell you the new features are gnarly.

598598_10151314922590359_1387442087_n.jpg

It was good to get the ski legs back and ride the new skis especially since I'm going to Whistler on Sunday and then next saturday :towel:

It was great to be back on the snow for sure! Cypress only had the one run open but snow was surprisingly good, bit hard at the start but got carved up great. I don't suggest going until they get a bit more snow or open more runs. If you're a park rider, I can tell you the new features are gnarly.

598598_10151314922590359_1387442087_n.jpg

It was good to get the ski legs back and ride the new skis especially since I'm going to Whistler on Sunday and then next saturday :towel:

Right on mate , first day for the season and it is only mid november still .

Canada ROCKS :)

I'm about to snowboard for the first time probably next. Never boarded in my life and I'm pretty discouraged as my friends told me its gonna suck the first 2-3 times. Guys got any tips?

In general,you should take an athletic stance that is 1-2 inches wider than their shoulders. A common mistake is to make your snowboard stance too narrow. This makes turning and controlling your snowboard more difficult.

For those who like to huck big spins, we suggest making your stance even wider to center your weight over the board and keep your balance. If you prefer carving and powder may want to make their stance a bit narrower.

A few snowboarding tips for leaning and practicing heel-side edging with low stance angles (feet mostly across the board):

Stay standing fairly tall.

Tilt the board by slowly rocking back on your heels.

Move your hips over the heed edge and straighten your knees slightly but never fully straight.

Push down with your heels and pick up your toes.

Toe side edging

Stay standing fairly tall.

Lean your hips over the toe edge of your board.

Push your knees in the same direction and lift your heels.

Try going from barely titling the board to tilting it near perpendicular to the floor.

See if you can balance while tilting for three, five, and then ten seconds

I'm about to snowboard for the first time probably next. Never boarded in my life and I'm pretty discouraged as my friends told me its gonna suck the first 2-3 times. Guys got any tips?

Learn to fall.

Other than that, just don't get fed up and keep at it.

It took me about 3 or 4 full days of boarding to start to get the hang of it (meaning I didn't fall every 30 seconds), but after that you can pick it up really quickly, and its definately worth the effort.

Don't give up. That only shows you wont try things that are foreign to you. Get up, dust yourself off and own the mountain! There is no other feeling in the world than carving the mountain on a snowboard. The same can be said of skiing, two of my greatest passions. That and the ski bunnies, and I am a lucky man to have one who kicks my butt at both boarding and skiing.

Hopefully 7th heaven is open. Best view from a the top of the chair I have ever seen. It was the major selling point in me picking up my buddy's Black Tusk Option board with a picture of Black Tusk on it. It never gets old riding it!

There is no chance that 7th heaven is open.

If it is -- I wouldn't go ANYWHERE near it --- that is one fast way to destroy your equipment.

Archived