Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneHandedBertuzzi

Buying external HD

18 posts in this topic

I have a WD Passport and it runs fine on both XP and 7.

Western Digital is always reliable, and is the go-to brand for a lot of PC enthusiasts. Seagate has come quite a ways though.

IMO you should get an enclosure and separate hard drive. Allows you more flexibility down the line. It also allows you to swap multiple drives in and out for further capacity etc.

WD, Samsung, Seagate, Hitachi etc all make decent drives and you'll find fanboys/haters of all of them.

My external hard drive is the best. And by external hard drive, I mean my junk. Booya!

IMO you should get an enclosure and separate hard drive. Allows you more flexibility down the line. It also allows you to swap multiple drives in and out for further capacity etc.

WD, Samsung, Seagate, Hitachi etc all make decent drives and you'll find fanboys/haters of all of them.

Stay away from 5400 rpm if you can, that's a slow speed especially having it connected via usb..check to see that it's atleast 7200.

I have both WD and Seagate drives, and neither of them have caused me problems.

Check out NCIX. They have some deals going on, I think.

Hes running Win XP, probably on a laptop, so does having the latest fastest hard drive really matter?

Hes running Win XP, probably on a laptop, so does having the latest fastest hard drive really matter?

I have a 1TB SeaGate. Never had any problems.