The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-CHI, + VAN-PHI/BUF

Ok, I'll get right to the trades, followed by a breakdown after each one. ALL feedback, both good and bad is accepted and encouraged, EXCEPT USE OF THE HIGHLY, UN-ORIGINAL, AND OVERLY USED "FACEPALM" EMOTICON.

To VAN-Hossa,Hjarlmarsson

To CHI-Luongo,Ballard,1st rd pick (2014)

Luongo--->Hossa

Ballard,1st rd pick(2014)--->Hjarlmarsson

For this trade, Vancouver gains a premier playmaker, with a similar contract/cap-hit to Luongo's. A risk is taken here, due to his concussion problems, but finding a playmaker of his calibre is a risk I'm willing to take. Hjarlmarsson, is a big,2-way defenceman who IMO would fit very nicely in our system.

While Chicago loses a premier playmaker, they also gain an substantial upgrade in goaltending, while also gaining a capable top 4 defenceman who has had a few rough years in VAN, and has not been utilized to his full potential. Ballard, being the "weaker" defenceman out of the 2 in this trade, will be packaged with a 1st rd pick in the 2014 draft, evening out the trade.

There's 2 options for this next trade, one to BUF, and the other to PHI.

Trade 1)

To PHI-Edler,David Booth,2nd rd pick(2013)

To VAN-Couturier,Briere

Edler--->Couturier

Booth,2nd--->Briere

Philadephia get's a very good young D-man, and a power-forward. While we get a Clutch,play-maker who had an off year and still put up 49pts.

Trade 2)

To BUF-Edler,Booth

To VAN-Foligno,Ennis

Buffalo gains an excellent defenceman to accompany Ehrhoff, and Myers. They also gain a power-forward to can drive to the net while we gain 2 great young players to help out our top 9.

Line-up with CHI/PHI Trades:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hossa-Kesler-Briere

Higgins-Couturier-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Garrison-Hjarlmarsson

Tanev-Connauton

Line-up with CHI/BUF Trades:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hossa-Kesler-Higgins

Foligno-Ennis-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Garrison-Hjarlmarsson

Tanev-Connauton

Schnedier

Lack

Not bad . I'd do the chicago one, but not sure if chicago would, probably all depends on how healthy hossa is. Id take the PHI trade over the BUF trade, maybe in the buffalo trade take out booth, and put in say dale weise or a pick. to even it out a little. The only thing is our defense looks alot weaker without edler and ballard.

Ok, I'll get right to the trades, followed by a breakdown after each one. ALL feedback, both good and bad is accepted and encouraged, EXCEPT USE OF THE HIGHLY, UN-ORIGINAL, AND OVERLY USED "FACEPALM" EMOTICON.

To VAN-Hossa,Hjarlmarsson

To CHI-Luongo,Ballard,1st rd pick (2014)

Luongo--->Hossa

Ballard,1st rd pick(2014)--->Hjarlmarsson

For this trade, Vancouver gains a premier playmaker, with a similar contract/cap-hit to Luongo's. A risk is taken here, due to his concussion problems, but finding a playmaker of his calibre is a risk I'm willing to take. Hjarlmarsson, is a big,2-way defenceman who IMO would fit very nicely in our system.

While Chicago loses a premier playmaker, they also gain an substantial upgrade in goaltending, while also gaining a capable top 4 defenceman who has had a few rough years in VAN, and has not been utilized to his full potential. Ballard, being the "weaker" defenceman out of the 2 in this trade, will be packaged with a 1st rd pick in the 2014 draft, evening out the trade.

There's 2 options for this next trade, one to BUF, and the other to PHI.

Trade 1)

To PHI-Edler,David Booth,2nd rd pick(2013)

To VAN-Couturier,Briere

Edler--->Couturier

Booth,2nd--->Briere

Philadephia get's a very good young D-man, and a power-forward. While we get a Clutch,play-maker who had an off year and still put up 49pts.

Trade 2)

To BUF-Edler,Booth

To VAN-Foligno,Ennis

Buffalo gains an excellent defenceman to accompany Ehrhoff, and Myers. They also gain a power-forward to can drive to the net while we gain 2 great young players to help out our top 9.

Line-up with CHI/PHI Trades:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hossa-Kesler-Briere

Higgins-Couturier-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Garrison-Hjarlmarsson

Tanev-Connauton

Line-up with CHI/BUF Trades:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Hossa-Kesler-Higgins

Foligno-Ennis-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Garrison-Hjarlmarsson

Tanev-Connauton

Schnedier

Lack

I wouldn't say Luongo is a "substantial upgrade" over Crawford. He nearly beat us in 2011 and the series against the Yotes could've gone either way if it wasn't for Mike Smith turning on god mode. I watched some of that series and Smith was nearly unbeatable. He pretty much beat the Hawks by himself. And no team and I mean NO team has any interest whatsoever in Keith Ballard.

Hossa (or any of the core Blackhawks) will never be part of a Luongo deal. Sorry, but it just won't happen. The Hawks management loves Hossa and he's one of our best all round forwards.

Regarding Ballard, all I can say is "no". Chicago had no need for Ballard, his play is poor and his cap hit is worse. Even if Hjlmarsson were dealt Ballard couldn't crack our top 6 without 1-2 injuries.

On a side note, the Chicago/Rockford game will be interesting. I wonder if these trade proposals will start including some Chicago prospects if they play well this weekend.

Would not do either of the 2nd trades: while the first one can greatly stack up our forward ranks it leaves a gaping hole in the back end with Edler going; I'm also not someone who believes (and I'm not alone in believing) that Hjalmarsson isn't nearly good enough to provide what Alex does. As well, when injuries hit, Tanev and Connauton will be called upon for roles that I doubt they'd be ready for in the Top 4.

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Garrison-Hjarlmarsson

Tanev-Connauton

Aside from the exposed D, the forward group in the Chi/ Phi trades combined give Vancouver a group of forwards with salaries higher than $40M, with Couturier and Kassian needing even bigger contracts after their ELC's expire! (I know this is fantasy but the CBA still needs to kick in somewhere :P and with it going down there's no way that that awesome Top 6 would exist in an MG-run team without addressing the need for better defense :P)

Archived