513 replies to this topic

#451 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

arena in abbotsford is a joke, parking is a nightmare IN ABBOTSFORD and the food CHICKEN FRY FRY? what the f is that crap, honestly they wonder why they get crap crowds. couldnt even get some mayo on a burger. Pathetic wont be back that is for sure.

and to top it off some jerk dumped beer all over my friends 8year old girl and they didnt even boot him out....

the game was okay the wolves definitely looked tired in the 2nd/3rd kass was by far the best player for the wolves. abbotsford's goalie was horrible im not sure how we didnt light him up like a Christmas tree.

#452 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,268 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

From the Flames/Heat perspective, I thought Baertschi looked good (as usual). Horak, Reinhart, Brodie, Breen, and Aliu also looked good. Man, it's nice to have some decent prospects in our organization for a change. You guys should really go check them out. ::D

brodie is, by far, the dirtiest POS i've ever seen lace them up. the guys a fracking clown.

Edited by avelanch, 21 October 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#453 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Breen and Mallet would've been a sick fight

1zf4oy1.jpg

#454 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

same with aliu

hope joslin gets him back for that
Posted Image

#455 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Trade Schroeder

#456 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,268 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Mallet fight:

Pinizzotto fight (i missed the first couple punches by Pini while getting my phone out).

Make it HD and full screen for your viewing pleasure

#457 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

Watched both games this weekend. Horrible third period. Here are my thoughts:

Kassian was a beast all weekend. He is the AHL version of a feistier Bertuzzi circa 2002 (but with worse linemates).

Mallet is a gem. Looks big on the ice. He is a strong skater (not just a fast skater), looks much bigger than 6'1 200lbs on the ice, hits, awesome fighter, and has pretty good offensive instincts. He is a head and shoulders above guys like Friesen and Matson. Tonight he looked much better than Rodin and Schroeder.

Schroeder is an excellent skater. He works hard, back checks, and it is easy to tell he has a lot of offensive talent. Unfortunately he seems to lack offensive awareness and confidence, making him very ineffective.

Rodin looked better than Schroeder but doesn't have as much raw talent. I don't think he has the offensive ability to play a top 6 role and is not physical enough for a bottom 6 role. Even though he may be more talented than 2 or 3 other forwards playing above him in the NHL I think he will be hard pressed to make it as a regular.

Desbiens and Pinnizotto looked off tonight, both were better on Friday.

Joslin is terrible. Tanev and Connauton have NHL level talent, Connauton is much more well rounded than I expected. Matheson is pretty solid, number 3 guy this weekend IMO. But who cares about Matheson.

Sauve was ok, nothing special. Looked better than Hunt, Joslin, Andersson but doesn't excite me in terms of becoming an NHL defenseman.

Ebbett and Longpre were pretty invisible Saturday, but played solid on Friday.

Friesen and Matson played limited minutes. They are hardworking guys who might have trouble finding a niche in the NHL.

Lack is big and good down-low. It is evident that he is a talented puck handler but he really bombed tonight with that one play. He made a few good passing plays, especially one on friday where he did a saucer pass down the ice right onto the stick of the forward waiting at the offensive blue line.

Overall the Wolves look very disjointed offensively. Not much chemistry between the players. Kassian was the only player who was really dangerous offensively. Schroeder was the biggest disappointment to me. It is easy to see how much talent he has; unfortunately, it doesn't translate into points, or even great offensive chances.
Sig too big.

#458 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

I wasn't able to watch the game at the regular start time, but I recorded it and I just finished watching so here is my scouting report.

Eddie Lack: A-

- He just kept impressing me, he always makes big saves, and really held the Wolves in the game for alot of it. He made a bad play on the 1st goal, the 2nd one maybe he slide over a bit much but I dont really think he had a chance on any of the other 2.

Jordan Schroeder: B-

- He had a better night on faceoffs, he was really noticable, he didn't do much (not that alot of players did) but he always seems dangerous whenever he is out there, he has that dangerous factor, but I thought he was everywhere on the ice again tonight, he's not having bad games he just hasn't got many chances, if he keeps working hard like this the points will come

Zack Kassian: A+

- What a player, he can do it all. Skate, Score, Hit, Fight. He was a manchild out there tonight, he had some big hits, that first goal was a beauty, I just found myself always thinking about how great he was playing as the game went along.

Alexandre Mallet: B+

- I think he could be our Andrew Shaw, he was very impressive tonight, not just the fight and the big hit, but on the ice he was flying, agitating, and really was everywhere aswell, one of those guys that really stood out tonight, it was great to see him has some shifts with better players as the game went along.

Yann Sauve: B-

- I liked his game tonight, he wasn't flashy or spectacular by any means but I think he was steady, made good plays and didn't stand out for the wrong reason's, hopefully he stays in the line-up and builds off this.

Anton Rodin: C+

- Thought he made some nice plays occasionally, didn't stand out that much but he did have his moments, I think he is stronger and the ability is there, I think he just needs to get more intense.

Chris Tanev: B-

- He had a bit better of a game, he looked shaky early but I think he settled in and made some nice passes & plays. He keeps getting a bit better every game.

Kevin Connaution: B-

- He wasn't bad, his physical play has picked alot, hes actually a physical player now and he's not bad defensively, he didn't stand out overall but I thought he did in the 1st and had some good moments, but he kinda tailed off to just blending in as the game went along, wasn't really a factor on the PP.

Steve Pinnizzotto: B+

- He was really something, I love this guy he should be on our 4th line when the season starts again, he battles all the time, works hard, hits, fights, is resilient, shows heart, he didn't back down in that fight even thought the guy was quite a bit bigger than him, I was really impressed by him tonight, Hopefully he gets a chance on our 4th line cause I think he has a bit of skill to go along with that grit he has.

Overall the Heat just were more intense,I thought the Wolves were great early on but the Heat started to take over the game, and the Wolves just lost there intensity and there will to win, and the special teams were more-less a minor disaster tonight.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 21 October 2012 - 01:01 AM.

zackass.png

#459 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,268 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

Overall the Heat just were more intense, I thought the Wolves were great early on but the Heat started to take over the game, and the Wolves just lost there intensity and there will to win, and the special teams were more-less a minor disaster tonight.

i think 5 games in 8 days (vs 4 in 9 for the heat) started to take their toll, but the wolves have struggled in the 3rd all season (for what little season there has been so far) they have 5 days off, so they'll get some much needed rest, regroup, and come out swinging next weekend.

#460 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

i think 5 games in 8 days (vs 4 in 9 for the heat) started to take their toll, but the wolves have struggled in the 3rd all season (for what little season there has been so far) they have 5 days off, so they'll get some much needed rest, regroup, and come out swinging next weekend.

Yeah for sure, Im excited for next weekend's games they should come out big time, after this tough one tonight.

Kassian really impressed everyone this weekend, after all I thought he was the best player on either team in the 2 games, and now we are just waiting on Schroeder to break out, and I think he will put up some points next weekend, I have a feeling he will have a big game pretty soon, once he gets some chances he will capitalize, he's working hard and putting in the effort and if he just keeps it up then the chances will come and he's got the skill to finish on them.

zackass.png

#461 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:09 AM

Joslin and Matheson had me :picard: ing all night ...

Kassian, Mallet :wub:

Edited by n00bxQb, 21 October 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#462 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

#463 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

This extra minor league seasoning is a working wonders for Kassian. The lockout year back in 04-05 really allowed some big time players to blossom in the AHL and it could be happening again to our kid here! His confidence must be sky high right now, he is really excelling at the AHL level. I know it's early, but I can't see how we don't make out alright with that trade here, especially considering Kassian is a full year younger than Hodgson.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#464 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

Kassian is shutting all the uninformed haters right up.

Have not been worried about him since we traded for him.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#465 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

Alexandre Mallet: B+

- I think he could be our Andrew Shaw, he was very impressive tonight, not just the fight and the big hit, but on the ice he was flying, agitating, and really was everywhere aswell, one of those guys that really stood out tonight, it was great to see him has some shifts with better players as the game went along..

I agree with you comparing Mallet to Shaw. I definetly think Mallet can turn into a 3rd line agitator of the future that scores 25-30 points a year.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#466 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

I'm very excited about Mallet, he looks like he could fit into our NHl lineup within a few years. I also think that Kassian was great, and will benefit from play AHL for a while.
Posted Image

#467 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

I thought maybe they were still getting their legs under them, and it was also a back-to-back making it even worse too, but I realized this is probably the biggest reason. Good point.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#468 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

I was so happy to have hockey on my TV. What awesome games.

Kassian has been great, and King of the BS is no where to be found.

That's two birds with one stone.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#469 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

That's kind of the problem. In the NHL there are more tight checking teams, esp in the W. conference. Every season we see more teams adopting this type of system. If he's having trouble creating room for himself in the AHL, there's a good chance it'll be magnified in the NHL. In a dream world you'd flank him with 2 big wingers, but the Canucks don't have an abundance of them on their current roster. You can design icetime for young guys, but it's a lot more challenging if he can only play with a certain style of player. It's limiting.

It's something he'll have to learn to be successful at the NHL level. Alot of small players have, its simply adjusting your game, using your speed and smarts. Fleury, St. Louis, Briere, Ronning, etc etc.

#470 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Didn't see the games but from the interviews sounds like the fans were really supportive of our boys, which is great to see. Crowd chanting Eddie Eddie, seems to have put a smile on Lack's face. Those things matter, when these young guys know that fans in our city are cheering for them, want them to be successful, can only help in their motivation to not only make the club, but also to stick around when things get tough. Glad to hear such positive comments from Arneil on Kassian and Lack, good coach, pumping up the tires, of the young potential stars of the future.

#471 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

This extra minor league seasoning is a working wonders for Kassian. The lockout year back in 04-05 really allowed some big time players to blossom in the AHL and it could be happening again to our kid here! His confidence must be sky high right now, he is really excelling at the AHL level. I know it's early, but I can't see how we don't make out alright with that trade here, especially considering Kassian is a full year younger than Hodgson.

Even Arniel is saying he's surprised at his hands, and what did he say in his interiew? that he has the full package...all he needs to do is play consistently. The Nucks are hammering that into him, play hard, play your game everynight and you will be a superstar, we will get you there...he seems like a great kid, certainly has the right attitude and effort is there (lost 15 lbs) so when you have those ingredients, if you keep him on track, he's going to shut alot of people up.

Agree, this time in the AHL is only going to help him, as it did for Bieksa, Kesler, Burr and others.

#472 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,030 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Connauton-Tanev seems like the future
Bieksa-Hamhuis

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#473 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,524 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

mobile
Posted Image

#474 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Kassian vs some Defenseman - Kassian laid a hammering into him
Mallet vs some scrub after wrecking another kid - Mallet fed him some nice punches to the face, beauty win
Pinnizotto vs Breen* - Even for the first bit, Breen* is 6'7 230 though and ended up with the win

One fight that should have happened but didn't was Joslin vs Aliu, they were getting into it all game pretty much but never dropped the mitts.

Well, I don't now if I'd describe them all the same as you did.

Kassian: they basically grappled for a short bit and then Kassian got the takedown.
Mallet: fight of the night, they started off trading a few swings and then Mallet got off some overhand rights and mixed in an uppercut. The other guy tried to answer but then Mallet came back at him with more rights, a few of which landed heavily, and then they went to the ice with Mallet on top.
Pinizzotto: they both were using the jersey punches for most of the fight, and the other guy had Pinizzotto's right arm locked down with the same hand that was holding his jersey. You could tell he was fighting a much bigger guy, and had to defend a couple punches before he got taken down.

Kassian was obviously noticeable as well, especially physically, but he was involved in plays as well. He wasn't dominant, but was one of the bigger controlling forces in the game.

Mallet was physical as well, a huge hit and a dominant fight. He played well and worked hard around the ice. It was nice to see him show up a bit more since he didn't do as much in his last game.

Tanev and Connauton were steady when paired together. Connauton is smooth and used his size, and Tanev settled into the game, but neither did much offensively. I'd hoped to see more of Connauton on the PP, but the Wolves special teams didn't click all night. Connauton was responsible defensively though and got back on a number of odd man rushes.

Sauve had his best game so far after a so so game Friday. Solid defensively and helped out on the lone goal, definitely not afraid of contact either. He's a durably guy on the back end.

Schroeder really shows his speed in transition plays, but didn't find a seam to work more offence. You can tell moving Kassian off his line for a night limits his space. Even still he did manage a nice rush or two but couldn't capitalize.

Rodin, see Schroeder. He didn't show his speed enough, but he has the skill to be creative with good linemates. He missed the space someone like Kassian can provide as well.

Ebbett seemed like the smart veteran out there, and did get some chances in the 3rd to try and close the gap but his shots didn't come off. He was working out there though.

Lack had a good night, but had to face a lot of shots late. The first one was on him, as he hesitated coming out of the net. Had he just come out to it he would have played it out past the blue line. Instead he had to rush it and it went right to the second Heat player. He did well at getting in front of most shots though, particularly in scrambles, but couldn't stop them all.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#475 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

same with aliu

hope joslin gets him back for that

What did Aliu do?
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#476 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,524 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Schroeder isn't exactly taking advantage of the Kesler opportunity, is he?

It's nice that Kassian is playing well at the moment, but who's gonna center him if he makes the bigs?

I suppose the lockout will ensure a healthy Kesler when they're back anyway.
Posted Image

#477 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Pretty painful game to watch for the most part except the hits/tilts.
Kassian is a beast, he has that big play ability that it always feels like he is going to make something happen when he is out there, that is good to see...his confidence in this position with the Wolves is going to do his NHL game wonders.

I am so excited about Mallet, strong skater, hits like a truck and just seems to have it in his DNA to be a very strong bottom 6 type guy, In a few years he is going to help anchor a very pesky and hard hitting Canucks bottom 6.

It's a lot of fun watching Canucks prospects! Never saw much of Connauton previously to this game and he seems so poised out there, throws the body, can carry the puck and has a great shot!
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#478 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

Brutal 2nd and 3rd periods by the Wolves. Really liked Kassian and Mallet tonight. Pinizotto was a no-show AND he got fed by the big fella. Connauton was a no-show in the offensive zone.

Oh and that goal (I think Rodin sniped it) should have counted in the first period just before the Kassian marker.

Posted Image

#479 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

It's nice that Kassian is playing well at the moment, but who's gonna center him if he makes the bigs?

Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri, or Joe Colborne of course ...

#480 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

What? We better not be trading him to the leafs.

Posted 5 minutes ago

Posted ImageTOMapleLaughs, on 21 October 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri, or Joe Colborne of course ...

Edited by JohnLennon, 21 October 2012 - 11:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.