48 replies to this topic

#31 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Stories like this make my blood boil. The Vatican leadership needs a major shakeup. Get rid of this Pope, and replace him with someone younger, more liberal, in tune with changing social values, and isn't so completely sinister and full of crap.

Bring back the inquisition, only this time, point it towards priests suspected of being pedophiles.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#32 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

Stories like this make my blood boil. The Vatican leadership needs a major shakeup. Get rid of this Pope, and replace him with someone younger, more liberal, in tune with changing social values, and isn't so completely sinister and full of crap.

Bring back the inquisition, only this time, point it towards priests suspected of being pedophiles.

You mean this pope

Paul VI (Latin: Paulus PP. VI; Italian: Paolo VI), born Giovanni Battista Enrico Antonio Maria Montini (26 September 1897 – 6 August 1978), reigned as Pope of the Roman Catholic Church from 21 June 1963 until his death on 6 August 1978. Succeeding Pope John XXIII, who had convened the Second Vatican Council, he decided to continue it. He fostered improved ecumenical relations with Orthodox and Protestants, which resulted in many historic meetings and agreements.
Montini served in the Vatican's Secretariat of State from 1922 to 1954. While in the Secretariat of State, Montini and Domenico Tardini were considered as the closest and most influential co-workers of Pope Pius XII, who named him in 1954 Archbishop of Milan, the largest Italian diocese, yet denying him the Cardinal designation that traditionally accompanies being Archbishop of Milan, a function which made him automatically Secretary of the Italian Bishops Conference. John XXIII elevated him to the College of Cardinals in 1958, and after the death of John XXIII, Montini was considered one of his most likely successors.[1]
He took on the name Paul to indicate a renewed worldwide mission to spread the message of Christ. He re-opened the Second Vatican Council, which was automatically closed with the death of John XXIII, and gave it priority and direction. After the Council concluded its work, Paul VI took charge of the interpretation and implementation of its mandates, often walking a thin line between the conflicting expectations of various groups within the Roman Catholic Church. The magnitude and depth of the reforms affecting all areas of Church life during his pontificate exceeded similar reform policies of his predecessors and successors.[citation needed]
Paul VI was a Marian devotee, speaking repeatedly to Marian congresses and mariological meetings, visiting Marian shrines and issuing three Marian encyclicals. Following his famous predecessor Ambrose of Milan, he named Mary as the Mother of the Church during the Vatican Council.
Paul VI sought dialogue with the world, with other Christians, other religions, and atheists, excluding nobody. He saw himself as a humble servant for a suffering humanity and demanded significant changes of the rich in America and Europe in favour of the poor in the Third World.[2] His positions on birth control (see Humanae Vitae) and other issues were controversial in Western Europe and North America, but were applauded by people[who?] in Eastern and Southern Europe and Latin America.
His pontificate took place during sometimes revolutionary changes in the world, student revolts, the Vietnam War and other upheavals. Paul VI died on 6 August 1978, the Feast of the Transfiguration. The diocesan process for beatification of Paul VI began on 11 May 1993

He was an enlightened man , but the power hungry freaks of the curia did not like him taking away their forms of control so when he died they put a caretaker pope in , until they found a hardliner called JP 11 Who took the church back to the dark ages .

It is interesting to note that when Paul V1 cancelled the vaticans prosrcibed book list , the current pope spoke out against the decision of his spiritual leader , who by his beliefs is meant to be gods voice on earth .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#33 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Which has absolutely nothing to do with Catholic priests sexually abusing children.

Maybe, shows that it's just not Catholic priests (some) sexually abusing children.
Also shows my stance on what I think about lawyers.
I guess those Catholic priests you hate have the same type of lawyer that got the guy with my daughter free.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#34 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Maybe, shows that it's just not Catholic priests (some) sexually abusing children.
Also shows my stance on what I think about lawyers.
I guess those Catholic priests you hate have the same type of lawyer that got the guy with my daughter free.

Again irrelevant to the matter at issue which is the institutionalized nature of the abuse and the actions of the Catholic Church in covering up such abuse while shuffling problem priests to other parishes where they are free to offend again. The failure to report crimes against children to the civil authorties is one of the main concerns of the Australian Inquiry.

Like any person charged with any crime the law guarantees an accused the right to legal counsel.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 16 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#35 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Again irrelevant to the matter at issue which is the institutionalized nature of the abuse and the actions of the Catholic Church in covering up such abuse while shuffling problem priests to other parishes where they are free to offend again. The failure to report crimes against children to the civil authorties is one of the main concerns of the Australian Inquiry.

Like any person charged with any crime the law guarantees an accused the right to legal counsel.

Irrelevant like this commission is in Australia and you're posting information from Ireland, Belgium, Canada, etc?

I already stated that I agree with the commission.

And my bringing up what I did is relevant to the fact that I am close to people who have been sexually abused (not one from a Catholic nor any church BTW).

Edit: as far as the law goes - to them it doesn't matter what is right or wrong - only what can be proven. there are many sexual abusers out there walking free - not because people are okay with what they have done, but because we can't prove it in a court of law or their lawyer finds a convenient loophole...

Edited by Heretic, 16 November 2012 - 03:12 PM.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#36 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Irrelevant like this commission is in Australia and you're posting information from Ireland, Belgium, Canada, etc?

I already stated that I agree with the commission.

And my bringing up what I did is relevant to the fact that I am close to people who have been sexually abused (not one from a Catholic nor any church BTW).

Nope those references are not irrelevant as they set out the same practises by the Catholic Church world-wide as have occurred in Australia.

You need a better understanding of what is relevant or irrelevant to an issue. Your personal abuse experience has nothing to do with institutionalized abuse which is what the discussion is all about.

Apples and orangutans.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#37 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Nope those references are not irrelevant as they set out the same practises by the Catholic Church world-wide as have occurred in Australia.

You need a better understanding of what is relevant or irrelevant to an issue. Your personal abuse experience has nothing to do with institutionalized abuse which is what the discussion is all about.

Apples and orangutans.

Sez who? You?

You need a better understanding of what it means to be a human being.

What would have been relevant would have been if you listed relevant information about the commission instead of the obvious witch hunting you partake in only going after something on the religious side. Your bias is your flaw. Not that I'm without any - I know.

Posted Image

#38 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Sez who? You?

You need a better understanding of what it means to be a human being.

What would have been relevant would have been if you listed relevant information about the commission instead of the obvious witch hunting you partake in only going after something on the religious side. Your bias is your flaw. Not that I'm without any - I know.

I fully understand what it means to be human being. Why would I not?

What witch hunt? I provided examples of the sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests and the manner in which said priests have been protected by the Catholic Church in a number of countries and how the Catholic Church has been less than cooperative and forthcoming in dealing with these matters.

It seems you simply cannot handle the truth.

#39 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I fully understand what it means to be human being. Why would I not?

What witch hunt? I provided examples of the sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests and the manner in which said priests have been protected by the Catholic Church in a number of countries and how the Catholic Church has been less than cooperative and forthcoming in dealing with these matters.

It seems you simply cannot handle the truth.

It seems you are lacking comprehension.

Maybe you should call the thread "Sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests" instead of "Australia - Royal Commission to Investigate Child Abuse by Clergy and Others" and just use their link of one of many examples.

I really hope you understand now - I'd hate to have you as my lawyer if it's too difficult for you....

Posted Image

#40 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

It seems you are lacking comprehension.

Maybe you should call the thread "Sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests" instead of "Australia - Royal Commission to Investigate Child Abuse by Clergy and Others" and just use their link of one of many examples.

I really hope you understand now - I'd hate to have you as my lawyer if it's too difficult for you....

No probelm with my comprehension.

Why would I re-name the thread? It just so happens that the chief abuser and the one that continues to hide from its responsibilities while protecting its own is the Catholic Church. As I pointed out in the OP other religions have been involved but they have long since acknowledged their sins and apologized unreservedly - but not the catholic Church that continues on.

If you had me as your lawyer you might be able to put together a coherent argument with proper support.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 16 November 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#41 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Boy Scout files show sex abuse cover-ups:

http://www.cbsnews.c...buse-cover-ups/

http://www.sfgate.co...ort-4039830.php

http://www.huffingto..._n_1992252.html

Former detective constable claims special branch tried to keep police from witness who alleged MP abused young boys:

http://www.guardian....-fears-cover-up

"Sick crimes will go uninvestigated": Fears of child sex abuse "cover-up" as Theresa May rejects calls for super inquiry:

http://www.mirror.co...ild-sex-1421346

BBC Scandal Exposes Cover-Up of Host Jimmy Savile’s Pedophilia, Fueling Public Broadcaster’s Foes:
http://www.democracy...ses_cover_up_of

Posted Image

#42 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Boy Scout files show sex abuse cover-ups:

http://www.cbsnews.c...buse-cover-ups/

http://www.sfgate.co...ort-4039830.php

http://www.huffingto..._n_1992252.html

Former detective constable claims special branch tried to keep police from witness who alleged MP abused young boys:

http://www.guardian....-fears-cover-up

"Sick crimes will go uninvestigated": Fears of child sex abuse "cover-up" as Theresa May rejects calls for super inquiry:

http://www.mirror.co...ild-sex-1421346

BBC Scandal Exposes Cover-Up of Host Jimmy Savile’s Pedophilia, Fueling Public Broadcaster’s Foes:
http://www.democracy...ses_cover_up_of

Yes... and?

#43 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yes... and?

It's relevant to "Royal Commission to Investigate Child Abuse by Clergy and Others"

Posted Image

#44 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

It's relevant to "Royal Commission to Investigate Child Abuse by Clergy and Others"

Yes... and?

And unlike the Catholic Church in Australia, the Scouts Australia organization is completely onside with the Royal Commission:

Scouts welcomes Royal Commission into Child Abuse

Scouts Australia welcomes the Federal Government’s decision to establish a national Royal Commission into institutional responses to instances and allegations of child sexual abuse in Australia. Scouts will assist The Commission in whatever way possible.

Scouts has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind and for decades has had a policy and practice to report all instances of potential child abuse to police. Scouts has always made records and files freely available to the Police and other child protection authorities.

Scouts is particularly pleased that this inquiry will encompass the full range of organisations which care for children across the community. Identifying the ways that child abusers avoid detection or avoid being reported is crucial to prevent their access to children in other organisations.

Scouts hopes that the Commission’s scrutiny of current community organisation’s policies and practices will lead to more rigorous and stringent processes for groups to report and reject suspected child abusers across the entire community. A serious and deep attention to reporting in every organisation should help provide victims greater confidence to report sexual abuse matters.

In addition, Scouts urges the Commission to include a review of sentencing laws for child abuse offenders across the country. Penalties should reflect the severity of the crime.

Scouts has developed robust and vigilant child protection policies in all States and Territories, working with the full range of Child Protection Agencies. There are mandatory police checks for all adult volunteer Leaders and compulsory training to maximise child safety. Scouts is a family based organisation and we strongly encourage as many parents as possible to be actively involved in all our programs.

Scouts urges all parents to be familiar with the child protection policies in their community organisations and to talk to children sensitively about these issues. Ideas to improve safety for children are always welcome and Scouts looks forward to the recommendations of The Commission.

Scouts is grateful to the many thousands of Leaders, parents and supporters of Australian Scouting who work tirelessly to mentor and to enrich the lives of so many children in the community through our personal development and educational programs and activities, whilst also ensuring their safety and protection.

http://www.scouts.co...toryID=24777233

Quite different from the Catholic Church reaction, eh?

Edited by Wetcoaster, 16 November 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#45 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Yes... and?

And unlike the Catholic Church in Australia, the Scouts Australia organization is completely onside with the Royal Commission:

Scouts welcomes Royal Commission into Child Abuse

Scouts Australia welcomes the Federal Government’s decision to establish a national Royal Commission into institutional responses to instances and allegations of child sexual abuse in Australia. Scouts will assist The Commission in whatever way possible.

Scouts has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind and for decades has had a policy and practice to report all instances of potential child abuse to police. Scouts has always made records and files freely available to the Police and other child protection authorities.

Scouts is particularly pleased that this inquiry will encompass the full range of organisations which care for children across the community. Identifying the ways that child abusers avoid detection or avoid being reported is crucial to prevent their access to children in other organisations.

Scouts hopes that the Commission’s scrutiny of current community organisation’s policies and practices will lead to more rigorous and stringent processes for groups to report and reject suspected child abusers across the entire community. A serious and deep attention to reporting in every organisation should help provide victims greater confidence to report sexual abuse matters.

In addition, Scouts urges the Commission to include a review of sentencing laws for child abuse offenders across the country. Penalties should reflect the severity of the crime.

Scouts has developed robust and vigilant child protection policies in all States and Territories, working with the full range of Child Protection Agencies. There are mandatory police checks for all adult volunteer Leaders and compulsory training to maximise child safety. Scouts is a family based organisation and we strongly encourage as many parents as possible to be actively involved in all our programs.

Scouts urges all parents to be familiar with the child protection policies in their community organisations and to talk to children sensitively about these issues. Ideas to improve safety for children are always welcome and Scouts looks forward to the recommendations of The Commission.

Scouts is grateful to the many thousands of Leaders, parents and supporters of Australian Scouting who work tirelessly to mentor and to enrich the lives of so many children in the community through our personal development and educational programs and activities, whilst also ensuring their safety and protection.

http://www.scouts.co...toryID=24777233

Quite different from the Catholic Church reaction, eh?

Yes - but at least now you mentioned it!

Edit: BTW - you are wrong - they are acting the same way:

"The head of Australia’s powerful Catholic Church acknowledged the “shame” of child sex abuse among the clergy and welcomed a sweeping inquiry, but also warned that the extent of the problem within his church had been exaggerated.
On Monday, Prime Minister Julia Gillard ordered a rare Royal Commission, the highest form of investigation in Australia, into how churches, government bodies and other organisations have dealt with possibly thousands of child sex abuse claims.

George Pell, Australia’s only cardinal, said the Church would cooperate fully with the new inquiry, which can compel witnesses to give evidence and produce documents, and that he did not believe the Catholic church was the main perpetrator.

We are not interested in denying the extent of misdoing in the Catholic church. We object to it being exaggerated, we object to it being described as ‘the only cab on the rank’,” said Pell, who is also Archbishop of Sydney, on Tuesday.

“We acknowledge, with shame, the extent of the problem and I want to assure you that we have been serious in attempting to eradicate it and deal with it,” he told reporters in Sydney."

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2012/11/14/australias-catholic-church-acknowledges-shame-of-child-abuse-welcomes-inquiry/

"To the surprise of some, the Catholic bishops of Australia welcomed the Prime Minister's announcement of a royal commission into child sexual abuse.

Australians believe in justice and there is a strong feeling that justice has been denied to victims of sexual abuse. Justice is also owed to the individuals and institutions working to prevent sexual abuse and helping victims and their families.

I welcome the royal commission because it will help victims and help to clear the air. Victims have an absolute right to justice and I am pleased that they have welcomed the royal commission."

http://www.smh.com.a...1116-29his.html

Edited by Heretic, 16 November 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#46 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Other organizations were mentioned before... in the OP - beginning with the title and the first line of the post:

On Monday, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard ordered a Royal Commission into how churches, government bodies and other organizations have dealt with possibly thousands of child sex abuse claims.

It just so happens that the Catholic Church is the poster child world-wide for sexual abuse of children both in absolute numbers and percentages and they try to minimize the problem... just as you do. And it most often involves priests who have taken vows of celibacy and who are seen as the shepherds to their flocks. So on the WTF scale the Catholic Church rates a 10.

#47 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Other organizations were mentioned before... in the OP - beginning with the title and the first line of the post:

It just so happens that the Catholic Church is the poster child world-wide for sexual abuse of children both in absolute numbers and percentages and they try to minimize the problem... just as you do. And it most often involves priests who have taken vows of celibacy and who are seen as the shepherds to their flocks. So on the WTF scale the Catholic Church rates a 10.

And you minimize everyone else - like it's not an issue that so and so's daughter was molested because it didn't happen by a Catholic priest.

Seriously - listen to yourself for a change.

A child being abused IS a child being abused. Period.

Posted Image

#48 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Seeing how you are so into numbers:

The Australian Federal Labor Government has announced an urgently required Royal Commission into child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, other churches and other Australian institutions. However while Mainstream media and politicians are concerned with victims of child sexual abuse by Catholic clergy and religious personnel that total 3,000 to 40,000 over the last 80 years, expert scholarly research indicates that 3.0 million Australian women, 1.4 million Australian men and a total of 4.4 million Australian adults today out of a national population of 23 million have been sexually abused as children.

According to a recent report: “Australia's Roman Catholic Church has confirmed that more than 600 children have been sexually abused by its priests since the 1930s in the state of Victoria. The archbishop of Melbourne, Denis Hart, described the figures as "horrific and shameful". The admission came in a submission to a state parliamentary inquiry into the handling of abuse cases; however campaigners say the true figure could be up to 10,000 victims. The church said the 620 cases went back 80 years with the majority taking place between the 1960s and the 1980s, with another 45 cases being investigated” (Al Jazeera, “Australian Catholic Church admits child sex abuse”, 22 September 2012).

However this is the tip of the iceberg as revealed by the “Little Children are Sacred” Report into child abuse in Northern Territory Indigenous Australian communities (Google “Little Children are Sacred”). There is no doubt from the shocking anecdotal accounts in the Report that from a qualitative perspective Aboriginal Child Sexual Abuse is occurring and must be urgently stopped. However the Report (p57) states that “it is not possible to accurately estimate the extent of child sexual abuse in the Northern Territory”.

Decent, anti-racist Australians support provision of more police, doctors, nurses, welfare workers, teachers and decent housing - and improved social conditions in general - for remote Aboriginal communities, communities that are deprived by successive racist Australian Lib-Lab (Liberal-Laboral, Coalition or Labor) Governments of so many of the services that White Australians take for granted. The “Little Children are Sacred” Report recommendation #1 asked for such services - but also said that they should be provided in a sensible and consultative way. However this recommendation has been grossly violated by the Liberal Party-National Party Coalition Howard Government that with Labor Opposition support sending in the army in battle dress, seizing Land - which is sacred to Aborigines and indeed to White Australians - and acting in a racially-selective way, i.e. a racist way, by removing Northern Territory Indigenous Australians from the protection of the1975 Racial Discrimination Act.

In contrast to its inability to quantitate the extent of child abuse in Indigenous communities, the “Little Children are Sacred” Report (pp234-236) refers to studies in America indicating that 25% of females and 10% of males experience childhood sexual abuse (Finkelhor, D. (1994), Current information on the scope and nature of child sexual abuse”, Future of Children, 4(2), pp31-53), and in Australia indicating that 34% of females and 16% of males today experienced child sexual abuse (Dunne, M.P., Purdie, D.M., Cook, M.D., Boyle, F.M. & Najman, J.M.(2003), Is child sexual abuse declining? Evidence from a population-based survey of men and women in Australia, Child Abuse & Neglect, vol. 27 (2), pp141-152).

If one translates these Australian child abuse statistics to the 2010 UN Population Division data for the number of adult Australian women (8,825,000) and adult Australian men (8, 614,000) one can estimate that 0.34 x 8.825,000 = 3,000,500 or roughly 3.0 million Australian women, 0.16 x 8,613,000 = 1,378,240 or roughly 1.4 million Australian men, and roughly 4.4 million Australian adults have been sexually abused as children.

The upper estimate of children sexually abused by priests and other religious monks, nuns or brothers of the Catholic Church over the last 80 years has been put at 10,000 in Victoria (2012 population 5,603,000) and hence 10,000 x 22,597,000/ 5,603,000 = 40,330 for the whole of Australia (2012 population 22,597,000) and hence 40,330 x 100/4,400,000 = 0.9% of the total number of current Australian adults who have suffered child sexual abuse.

If we take the lower estimate from the Catholic Church of 665 cases of clerical child sexual abuse in Victoria, the nation-wide estimate would be 665 x 22,597,000/5,603,000 = 2,682 such cases nationwide, this corresponding to 2,603 x 100/ 4,400,000 = 0.06% of the total number of current Australian adults who have suffered child sexual abuse.

Yet the endlessly lying Mainstream media in look-the-other-way Murdochracy, Lobbyocracy and Corporatocracy Australia concentrate on the less than 1% of sexual abuse cases involving Catholic clergy and ignore the horrible reality that a substantial proportion of the ignored 4.4 million child sexual abuse victims were violated in the home.

Thus, for example, a search of the “entire ABC site” (the ABC being Australia’s equivalent of the UK BBC) for the term “Is child sexual abuse declining?” (part of the title of the key Australian child abuse paper quoted above) or for the lead author as “Dunne, M.P.” or “M.P. Dunne” reveals zero (0) reportage. Australia simply does not want to know about the large-scale child sexual abuse entrenched in its society.

http://mwcnews.net/f...xual-abuse.html

Posted Image

#49 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Edit: BTW - you are wrong - they are acting the same way:

"The head of Australia’s powerful Catholic Church acknowledged the “shame” of child sex abuse among the clergy and welcomed a sweeping inquiry, but also warned that the extent of the problem within his church had been exaggerated.
On Monday, Prime Minister Julia Gillard ordered a rare Royal Commission, the highest form of investigation in Australia, into how churches, government bodies and other organisations have dealt with possibly thousands of child sex abuse claims.
George Pell, Australia’s only cardinal, said the Church would cooperate fully with the new inquiry, which can compel witnesses to give evidence and produce documents, and that he did not believe the Catholic church was the main perpetrator.
We are not interested in denying the extent of misdoing in the Catholic church. We object to it being exaggerated, we object to it being described as ‘the only cab on the rank’,” said Pell, who is also Archbishop of Sydney, on Tuesday.
“We acknowledge, with shame, the extent of the problem and I want to assure you that we have been serious in attempting to eradicate it and deal with it,” he told reporters in Sydney."
http://blogs.reuters...lcomes-inquiry/

"To the surprise of some, the Catholic bishops of Australia welcomed the Prime Minister's announcement of a royal commission into child sexual abuse.
Australians believe in justice and there is a strong feeling that justice has been denied to victims of sexual abuse. Justice is also owed to the individuals and institutions working to prevent sexual abuse and helping victims and their families.
I welcome the royal commission because it will help victims and help to clear the air. Victims have an absolute right to justice and I am pleased that they have welcomed the royal commission."

http://www.smh.com.a...1116-29his.html

Victoria Police: Catholic Church non-cooperative on sexual abuse

Posted by: Ellen Feely | 13 April, 2012 - 11:05 AM
Posted Image
In an incredible interview on the Neil Mitchell program, Deputy Commissioner Graham Ashton has said that the Catholic Church in Victoria has never come to the Victoria Police with knowledge of suicides or sexual offences, despite them being aware of committed offences.
“I can’t think of a single referral we’ve had from the Catholic Church in the last couple of years I’ve been around,” Deputy Commissioner Graham Ashton told Neil Mitchell.
LISTEN: Neil Mitchell's reaction to his explosive interview with Deputy Commissioner Graham Ashton on the Catholic Church frustrating Victoria Police process to investigate crimes committed by clergy
Mr Ashton said that while it’s possible issues may had previously been referred to the police by the Catholic Church, he was unable to recall any instance in which this had occurred.
Deputy Commissioner Graham Ashton said he had personally had meeting with the Catholic Church to urge them to pass any awareness of criminal acts, but they had their own processes in place where they would internally decide upon criminality.
“Our point is we’re the ones to make the decision around whether things are criminal or not, that’s what investigations do,” he said.
“We need the opportunity to make those investigations. We can’t just wait for victims of their own volition to come to us.
“We’ve had victims turn up in different location that appear to have been the subject of the same offender who has moved locations.”
This morning, The Age revealed Victoria Police have confidential reports detailing the suicides of at least 40 people abused by Catholic clergy, and were urging a new inquiry into these and any other deaths suspected to be linked to church abuse.
Neil Mitchell said the Catholic Church were effectively frustrating police attempts to to investigate and prosecute paedophiles within their system.
“That they are not coming forward with cases that they know of, they’re dealing with them internally. They’re not helping the police with it, and it’s only when the victims come forward that these paedophiles face the prospect of justice,” Neil Mitchell said.
“This is an organisation that will get into the pulpit and tell you how to live your life.
”It has got the inherent immorality to protect paedophiles within its own system. Not in the 60s, not in the 70s, now. Today.”
Neil Mitchell said if Premier Ted Baillieu and Attorney-General Robert Clark did not react to the police report and the words of the Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner, then they did not deserve to govern.
Earlier this morning Neil Mitchell spoke with Premier Ted Baillieu, who said he had only been made aware of the police reports detailing suicides as a result of sexual abuse by Catholic Church in Victoria in this morning's paper.
LISTEN: Premier Ted Baillieu speaks to Neil Mitchell regarding report in The Age on suicides as a result sexual abuse by Catholic clergymen
"I have to say it's very disturbing," Premier Ted Baillieu said.
"The government and me, speaking personally, take this very seriously."
Mr Baillieu said while the Attorney-General Robert Clark was working on how to proceed with the report, he would not confirm whether the government would precede with a public inquiry into the matter

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 17 November 2012 - 04:25 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.